The Title Reign of Larry Holmes: Ossie Ocasio

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by toybulldog, Jul 25, 2018.

1. toybulldog

toybulldog New Member Full Member

Jun 21, 2018
    In his second title defense, Holmes faced undefeated Ossie Ocasio in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Two days before he was scheduled to defend his WBC heavyweight title against longshot Ossie “Jaws” Ocasio at the Las Vegas Hilton Pavilion, Larry Holmes rode a bus up into the Nevada Alps to visit the Spring Mountain Youth Camp, where he gave a squad of wayward teens the inspirational talk of a lifetime. For Holmes, this outing underscored one of his prime objectives: to be a sporting figure with gravitas. “I want to be accepted as the true champion I feel that I am,” Holmes told Philadelphia Daily News reporter Tom Cushman. “And I want to conduct myself as a champion. I’m trying very hard.”

Judging from some of his most recent actions, alas, Holmes had yet to master consistency. A few days earlier, at a press conference to boost lagging ticket sales, Holmes had poured a glass of water over Ocasio. “I wanted to kill him,” Ocasio would later say of the man who had publicly treated him like a schmuck, “to pick up the pitcher and break it over his skull. In my country, people do not do such things as he did. But I knew it would be stupid to kill him before the fight. I decided to let him play the part of the fool.”

https://hannibalboxing.com/shoot-the-moon-the-title-reign-of-larry-holmes-part-ii-ossie-ocasio/

George Crowcroft and he grant like this.
  2. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Lol and yet didn't Holmes knock Ocasio down with a jab. Ocasio is a bit underrated I've always felt, he was a beltholder at cruiserweight.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    I have met him many times. And he is one of the nicest, most down to earth people you could ever meet.

4. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    I 've heard Holmes was a pretty good dude myself, his problem was he was not loved like Ali or so. Seems he was always on the defensive with the press, I know the Marciano comments etc. did not help matters. And bringing in Cooney on an interview after his title defense, Hey ask the man if its alright first! -COMMON SENSE MIGHT SUFFICE.

5. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Ditto!!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    some people just come across wrong. I'm told I come across as mean sometimes, but when people get to know me, they know I'm not at all. I think that with Holmes. I think he's probably the nicest guy. He was a great champ, no scandals with him, I think he's pure class, I don't care what anyone says.

7. joebeadg

joebeadg Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2005
    also, all I here often is what a ***** Holmes was, and all I here is how great Tyson was, well compare the two! Nothing against Mike, loooks like he has it together now, great!

8. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
  9. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Ocasio beat Jimmy Young twice in a row to earn the shot. The first win Jimmy was a bit heavy but was seven months removed from a controversial points loss to Ken Norton that would, in retrospect, be for the title Leon Spinks vacated for rematching Ali instead of fighting Norton.

The second fight with Ocasio, Young came in 1 pound heavier than he was for Norton.

Ossie a year later would hold Michael Dokes to a draw in their first fight. He was awkward as hell and tricky. He of course later won a cruiserweight belt.

This is a better win for Holmes than most usually credit.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    George Crowcroft and Unforgiven like this.