The top 20 heavyweight jabs of all time.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, May 13, 2009.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    They say the jab is the most important punch in boxing. Who had the best 20 heavyweight jabs of all time?

The question is both tantalizing and hard to qualify so I have decided to break the jab down into several categories, then rank them with each categories counting equally in the evaluation. Each categories will be tallied up. In the end I will list what I view as the 20 best jabs in heavyweight history. This thread will not be easy to judge, or post. It will also be time consuming. In order to make the cut in this thread, there has to be film on the fighter.

The contests are: Corbett, Johnson, Tunney, J. Sharkey, Schmeling, Louis, Charles, Walcott, Patterson, Liston, Ali, Holmes, Young, Norton, Mercer, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, W. Klitschko, and V. Klitschko. Hopefully of these 20 names at least 15 would make your top 20 jabbers.

The categories on the jab is as follows:

1. Power behind the blow.

2. Range and reach of the jab.

3. Speed of the jab.

4. Accuracy of the jab, the ability to go between the guard, or hit a moving target.

5. The ability to jab to the head or body.

6. The ability to set up a power punch, or combo off the jab.

7. The stamina the fighter had to throw the punch round after round without getting arm weary.

8. The ability to change up the jab and use it for offense or defense.

9. The ability to throw the jab moving back wards or circling, or from odd angles.

10. The ability to dominate the fight on the jab alone.

Now to judge. I will list one or two categories per day if time permits. Since the difference between the fighters in all categories will be very close and subjective I can only give it my best educated guess. I do not want to get into a debate over slot #11 vs #12 as it will be too close to call. However if you think someone is out of place by a factor of say 7 slots down the list, I am willing to listen.

First up is POWER.

POWER from best to worst...Liston 20 points, Wlad 19 pts, Lewis 18pts, Bowe 17pts, Holmes 16 pts, V. Klitschko 15 pts, Louis 14 pts, Mercer 13 pts, Holyfield 12 pts, Ali 11 pts, Norton 10 pts, Tunney 9 pts, Schmeling 8 pts, Johnson 7 pts, Patterson 6 pts, Sharkey 5 pts, Walcott 4 pts, Chalres 3 pts, Corbett 2 pts, and Young 1 point.

RANGE and reach of the Jab ( height plays a small role here ) : Lewis 20 points , Liston 19, V. Klitschko 18, Holmes 17, W. Klitschko 16, Bowe 15, Ali 14, Schmeling 13, Norton 12, Holyfield 11, Tunney 10, Mercer 9, Young 8, Louis 7 , Sharkey 6, Walcott 5, Corbett 4, Johnson , Chalres 2, Patterson 1 point.

SPEED: ( not easy ) Ali 20 points, Holmes 19, Corbett 18, Patterson 17, Wlad 16, Tunney 15, Johnson 14, Norton 13, Walcott 12, Chalres 11, Schmeling 10, Louis 9, Holyfield 8, Mercer 7, Sharkey 6, Lewis 5, Bowe 4, Young 3, V Klitschko 2, Liston 1.

ACCURACY: Holmes 20 points, Wlad 19, Tunney 18, Corbett 17, Ali 16, Walcott 15, Young 14, Norton 13, Charles 12, Lewis 11, V. Klitschko 10, Schmeling 9, Holyfield 8, Patterson 7, Sharkey 6, Liston 5, Mercer 4, Bowe 3, Johnson 2, Louis 1.

up next the ability to target the head or body.

2. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Vlad,Louis,Liston,Ali,Holmes,Walcott,Tunney

3. JN95

JN95 Active Member Full Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Ali ,holmes , liston , lewis , louis ......

4. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    No Foreman ? I think his jab was underated.

5. turpinr

turpinr Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 6, 2009
    :good

yes,they're the obvious ones

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I think you've done good work in a difficult area Mendoza. Of course, a lot of that is debateable, but good effort.

7. BoxingFanNo1

BoxingFanNo1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Agreed.

8. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Corbett, Johnson, Tunney, J. Sharkey, Schmeling, Louis, Charles, Walcott, Patterson, Liston, Ali, Holmes, Young, Norton, Mercer, Holyfield, Bowe, Lewis, W. Klitschko, and V. Klitschko

im adding Tyson and Foreman

1. Power behind the blow.

Sonny Liston.......5
    Lennnox Lewis.....4
    Joe Louis............3
    George Foreman..2
    Mike Tyson.........1

2. Range and reach of the jab.

Vitali Klitschko.......5
    Wladimir Klitschko...4
    Lennox Lewis.........3
    Riddock Bowe.........2
    Larry Holmes..........1

3. Speed of the jab.

Muhammed Ali...5
    Floyd Patterson..4
    Gene Tunney.....3
    Ezzard Charles...2
    Jimmy Young...1

4. Accuracy of the jab, the ability to go between the guard, or hit a moving target.

Muhammed Ali....5
    Larry Holmes......4
    Ezzard Charles.....3
    Joe Louis..........2
    Jersey Joe Walcott..1

5. The ability to jab to the head or body.

Larry Holmes...5
    Joe Louis........4
    Floyd Patterson..3
    Mike Tyson........2
    Lennox Lewis.......1

6. The ability to set up a power punch, or combo off the jab.

Joe Louis.....5
    Lennox Lewis..4
    Mike Tyson...3
    Floyd Patterson..2
    Muhammed Ali...1

7. The stamina the fighter had to throw the punch round after round without getting arm weary.

Muhammed Ali.....5
    Joe Louis............4
    Lennox Lewis........3
    Larry Holmes........2
    Gene Tunney........1

8. The ability to change up the jab and use it for offense or defense.

Muhammed Ali......5
    Larry Holmes......4
    Lennox Lewis.....3
    Ezzard Charles...2
    Gene Tunney........1

9. The ability to throw the jab moving back wards or circling, or from odd angles.

Muhammed Ali.......5
    Jack Johnson........4
    Larry Hlmes.........3
    Gene Tunney.......2
    Jersey Jpoe Walcott.......1

10. The ability to dominate the fight on the jab alone

Muhammed Ali.......5
    Larry Holmes.........4
    Lennox Lewis.........3
    Gene Tunney ........2
    Jack Johnson.........1

Results
    Ali: 31
    Holmes:23
    Lewis: 21
    Louis: 18
    Patterson and Tunney: 9
    Charles: 7
    Tyson: 6
    Liston, Johnson and Vitali: 5
    Wlad: 4
    Bowe and Foreman: 2

My Opinion

Ali
    Holmes
    Louis
    Lewis
    Tunney

9. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Here is my top 20 Jabs in heavyweight history

1. Sonny Liston
    2. Larry Holmes
    3. Joe Louis
    4. Muhammad Ali
    5. Lennox Lewis
    6. Riddick Bowe
    7. Buster Douglas
    8. Wladimir Klitschko
    9. Jersey Joe Walcott- Yes suprise wildcard pick. Have you ever seen anyone throw a trible jab/feint combination to the head and body??
    10. George Foreman
    11. Pinklon Thomas
    12. Ken Norton
    13. Gene Tunney
    14. Nino Valdez- Another suprise pick eh? Watch the films you will agree with me
    15. Carl Truth Williams
    16. Ezzard Charles
    17. Jack Johnson
    18. Floyd Patterson
    19. Vitali Klitschko- Way too much of a Paw for my taste
    20. Greg Page

10. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Walcott should get a 4 or 5 here. Watch him against Louis. Also charles only a 2???

11. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Good posts GP and Q.

12. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    The thing about Gene Tunney. His jab was by far his best weapon, we are in agreement. However whenever he jabbed he always brought his left right back to his waist. When you jab, you are supposed to bring your left hand back to your left cheek to protect your jaw. I think he loses points for this.

13. GPater11093

GPater11093 Barry Full Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Liston top. I know he had a great jab but his jab was too powerful and pushed opponents back meaning it couldnt be used as a good tool for setting stuff up but if we are basing it just on Jabs it is a great pick.

i know it is a hard one but Ali, Patterson and Tunney were quick as hell yeh i should be Walcott in for 2 and Charles for 1. Or maybe put Walcott 3 Tunney 2 and Charles 1

cheers. My first ever good post that someone has said it was

great point actually never thought of the recovery of the jab but his jab was effective

14. SuzieQ49

Sep 14, 2005
    Yes genes jab was defintley his best weapon. I just dont like the technical flaw. Watch Harold Johnsons fights on youtube. Watch how harold brings his left jab straight back to protect his chin. Harold might have had the best jab of all time, but in a technical sense his jab was perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5DSG4uFgI

Watch 1:09-1:11

15. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    But Liston moved in behind his jab. As a tool it was perfect for him because he didn't have fast footwork.