the top myths about boxing!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by rochsolloch, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Boom_Boom

Boom_Boom R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12 Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Thats not what i meant and you are simly just trying to spin my post for your agenda....whatever that is.

Mike Tyson may have had a prime body but he didnt have a prime night, trainer change,distractions and so on.

2. C Money

C Money Paul McCloskey Full Member

Feb 8, 2007
    The first is true. They dont get stronger, yet the phrase was meant for those with excellent stamina. Often when the face opponents who have less stamina, they come on as the fight lengthens, hence the phrase. You are absolutely correct though, no one's getting stronger.

The second??:lol: :lol:

Forget about it!!! Yes, conditioning will help you take more punishment, but a China Chin will always be a China Chin. Some fighters cant take punches well. Ideally you work on conditioning, defense, neck muscles, etc, but yet and still?? Certain fighters will still have a private China collection. Most Ko shots are the ones a guy doesnt see coming and if you dont have a good chin, the conditioning, strengthing, etc wont save you. Especially, if said punch, comes from someone who can CRACK.

3. Illmatic

Illmatic Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    1. That Jack dempsey is an all time great heavyweight

4. BoppaZoo

BoppaZoo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 21, 2007
    My number one myth

is that fighters do not have to fight in the USA (the mecca as they think) to make the most money for there career.

Hatton vs Mayweather at MGM Grand will probably get 18,000 yes approx we all agree with that.

If Hatton vs PBF was in th UK who here believes thay could sell out Wembley stadium which is 80,000.

I DO.

Tszyu vs Mitchell in Phoenix had 9,000 people at the fight.

Tszyu vs Lieja in Melbourne had 33,000 or something like that.

Its a myth why do people get on Calzaghe's back for fighting in the UK when its clear he gets more money fighting there and bigger crowds.

5. BoppaZoo

Jan 21, 2007
    but still if a fight is say in the UK or Australia it gets more publicity than when our guys fight overseas. More Aussies buy the PPV fights that our fought on our shores than the ones when our fighters fight in the states. Why and lets be honest the numbers probably stay the same in the USA even if the fight is overseas or on USA soil.

6. BoppaZoo

Jan 21, 2007
    i agree.

Bring back Madison Square Garden.
    Staples Centre would be a good place aswell.

Just out of curiosity how many people does these places hold.

MGM Grand
    Ceasers Palace
    Mandalay Bay

7. Fitir

Fitir Active Member Full Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Depends who you are. Mormeck has lost big €€€ fighting in the US for King. He fights once a year for ridiculous purses... Tiozzo who came back in France obtained 3.000.000€ to fight a shot DM in Germany, Mormeck obtained 300.000€ to fight a much more dangerous Bell in the US...

8. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    the guy you are calling a couch potato is a pro boxer, he probably done more than you ever will.

9. MacManJr.

MacManJr. Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 11, 2007
    How about the myth that Floyd runs the whole fight yet somehow he always manages to land more punches than his damn opponent. Figure that one out.

10. China_hand_Joe

China_hand_Joe Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Not many people are paying 1000$ to see Calzaghe fight in America -fullstop- Not that many would go fullstop -fullstop- He isn't Hatton and will make more in the UK -fullstop-

11. Tettsuo

Tettsuo Active Member Full Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Lifting weights is bad for a boxer.

Total myth. If fact the opposite is true. It just depends on how to lift weights. When you do a rep, explode it out (just remember to not lock your arms or legs) and bring it back slowly. Slow reps do not help.

12. Amsterdam

Amsterdam Boris Christoff Full Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Myth - Lennox Lewis is in the top 10 HW ATG list.

13. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    "The phrase 'pound-for-pound' was created solely for Ray Robinson."

Myth.

He may have helped popularize it, but other writers had called fighters 'pound-for-pound the best' before they did Ray Robinson.

Such as Canzoneri, Fitz, etc..

14. Chief_Second

Chief_Second Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2007
    myth - max schmeling was a genuine nazi

15. Chief_Second

Chief_Second Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 12, 2007
    SRR predicted that he would kill his opponent in the ring - and it came true???!!!! too uncanny for my liking