The Tremendous Travis Simms Express!!!!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by sues2nd, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Hawks28

Hawks28 Active Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2005
    You are kidding right? domination? He won 2-3 rounds between 1-7 at best. And he won 4 rounds at best during the whole fight.

And Im not sure where all this stuff about simms being a totally different fighter is coming from. It is much easier to look good when you fight a guy like Jose antonio Rivera. Although, I felt that Simms looking good in that fight had a lot to do with how awful Rivera looked. But Alcine has way more skill than Rivera, Garcia or Mckart. It was pretty much the same Simms in there, the only difference was that the quality of opponent went way up.

2. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Well, Simms landed the more eye-cathing shots, but they were few and far between. And, in terms of defense, I think Alcine's ability to nullfy the jab with a tight guard, and block most-though not all- of Simm's powerpunches, coupled with the single right hands that he was able to shoot to the body were enough for him to win a at least two, possibly three of the first seven rounds. (I had it 4-2-1 Simms) And, Alcine did do the better work down the home stretch of the fight, which enabled him to pull out a close decision on my card. ( 114-112, or 113-111 would be just about right.)

Anyway, I'll agree that it wasn't much of a fight, and I'll also agree with you that it didn't really reflect the skill and ability of either fighter. It could just have been a rotten styles match-up because Alcine is generally a more crowd-pleasing boxer puncher, and Simms, as you say, has been much more effective, and aesthicially pleasing in the past.

But, yeah...that fight didn't fo a hell of a lot to enhance either fighter's staus. And that's a shame, because they're both pretty good when given the chance to show it.