The Slow Undressing Of Mikey Garcia By Errol Spence Disturbs Me On A Deep And Profound Level...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Paranoid Android, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    I had been very critical of Mikey's resume, but at the same time I was very impressed with Mikey's timing, economy, and punch selection. Indeed, I talked a lot of smack about Mikey, but deep down, I was a fan and rooting for him to emerge as an elite fighter.

I really thought that Mikey was going to fill the hole in boxing that was left by JMM's retirement. A savage counterpuncher with impeccable timing and skill. I wanted Pacquiao and Garcia to fight because it would have been one last Philippines Vs. Mexico showdown in Pacquiao's career.

But Mikey was exposed. And badly. If Mikey were truly elite, he would have won 3-4 rounds at the minimum. The Spence fight showed how limited (and overrated, unfortunately) Mikey's offense really is. Against B-level guys, Mikey's offense is incredible—hard punishing shots with laser accuracy.

But Mikey has zero creativity with his punch selection. Spence evaded the same one-twos all night long. Mikey wasn't so much as befuddled by Spence's jab as he was incapable of being creative with his offense.

I'm quite sad about Mikey losing. And a little bit angry. Mikey sold me on everything he said—about how we hadn't seen the best out of him and his confidence was so high that it seemed like it was his destiny to beat Spence.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Bofo24, GK BOX, mark ant and 6 others like this.
  2. oldcanvasback

oldcanvasback Active Member Full Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Yeah he had no answer at all for the taller man's jab which says something about Spence given that Mikey's beaten taller guys before.

Staminakills and pacas like this.
  3. thesmokingm

thesmokingm Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Dude, it should not be surprising. There are weight classes for a reason. Over time ppl forget this, ignore it, or lose their frame of reference to how hard it actually is to fight a bigger man.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  4. thanosone

thanosone Love Your Brother Man Full Member

Sep 23, 2007
  5. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Mikey was always overrated by most people, I guess. And now Mikey will be underrated by many. Especially if he is able to squeeze himself into 135 again.

Badbot and DON1 like this.
  6. Birmingham

Birmingham Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2017
    coupled with standing off to much and not making a go of it with Spence..All in all a bit of a let down, Mikey went in to his shell without a fight, he took his beating though, but it was a moral victory to last the distance blatantly

pacas likes this.
  7. JC Boxing

JC Boxing Member Full Member

Dec 30, 2018
    I don't think people realize what Mikey actually just did, u realize that Spence was being ducked by damn near every welterweight right? Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter and even Kell Brook avoided him so he could take on GGG.
    Mikey is a lightweight who is small even @140 and just took on Spence with no experience at 147 whatsoever. It was quite foolish what Mikey did tbh.

GK BOX and minemax like this.
  8. Baneofthegame

Baneofthegame Active Member Full Member

Aug 19, 2017
    I mean Kell Brook avoided Spence to move up two weight classes to fight GGG? Then immediately fought him after GGG destroyed his face.

Let’s see if he fights Lomachenko immediately after this.

h8me, TheRevAshton and Birmingham like this.
  9. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    I think that was a good post, and I understand where youre coming from, but at the same time, I think people are really overreacting to this fight.

I do think youre right in that Mikey does tend to have fairly basic and unimaginative offense, hes somewhat like a machine to me in that regard... but at the same time, its very difficult to use punch selections and imagination against a larger fighter whose effectively disrupting you and keeping you at bay with an effective long jab. And when that larger fighter is also a superb boxer himself, and is able to use his height and reach to keep you from having the targets youre used to seeing and are waiting for, you begin to catch yourself waiting for a target that doesnt appear. Add to that the larger fighter is one of the stronger and more physical fighters for his weightclass, and its simply too much to ask, imo, for a fighter of Mikeys size, style, and attributes, to be effective against (win more than 3 rounds against)

I dont think JMM himself would beat Spence, so I definitely wont be holding it against Mikey for not being able to.

Thats just imo though.

Manfred, bandeedo and minemax like this.
  10. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    No, he fought a bigger stronger fighter than Spence and the pay was great, not because he was worried

11. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    I don't think he thought that one through

mark ant likes this.
  12. Birmingham

Jan 13, 2017
    That's why people thought it was a stupid idea to fight Spence, but Mikey convinced people he was extra special and would be competitive..I do think now it was all about money with minimal risk/damage

13. trilltexas

trilltexas New Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Respect to Mikey but there was no chance really in beating Errol people who who believed that hype train got exposed

14. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The thought of Mikey being slowly undressed by Errol Spence profoundly disturbs me as well.:eek:

Bustajay, GK BOX, h8me and 5 others like this.
  15. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    I can't see Mikey the same way either.....