The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by salsanchezfan, Jun 10, 2011.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Unpopular in here, but reasonably common overall including some of the top experts. The least i would have SRL by is 2.

2. sweet_scientist

sweet_scientist Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 8, 2004
    It's totally reasonable, but given Toney's popularity, it would be unpopular and controversial.

3. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Yeah, I agree with this as well....

4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Hagler convincingly beat Leonard.

5. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    It was a close fight that could have gone either way.

6. Sonny Carson

Sonny Carson Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I had Hagler winning but I had it 7-5. It wasn't a convincing win but I had him by two rounds.

7. jbels08

jbels08 Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2011
    In the Lennox Lewis vs Vitali match, if Vitali's cuts weren't a factor, Vitali would've lost down the stretch by KO.

Roberto Duran's victory over Ken Buchanan is a tainted one, because of the low blow.

The 1940's to early 1950's was the true golden era of HW boxing not the 1970's

8. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Very possible. Lewis enjoyed his best round by far in the sixth and really appeared to affect Klit with a couple of uppercuts near the end of the round.

The ending leaves a sour taste, no doubt, but Duran looked really really good prior to the conclusion of the bout. Buchanan was in the fight and had good moments, but Manos de Piedra seemed on his way to gaining a clear decision in any event.

:think

Could elaborate on this last one, if possible?

9. Mr Butt

Mr Butt Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 16, 2009
    i had Hagler by two rounds and it still annoys me

sad i know

10. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sugar ray Leonard was a greater fighter than oscar De La Hoya, Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather..and a better person than them as well.

11. sanjuz

sanjuz New Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2010
    1. Ali won all three fights with Norton fairly comfortably - Norton was a very clumsy slugger - he looked good swarming all over his opponents throwing punches every which way but very few of his shots were effective - he didn't allow Ali to look elegant and effortless but at the same time Ali handled him with considerable ease - the received opinion that Norton gave him no end of problems and in fact won all three was just part of the ongoing attempt to diminish Ali's public persona as much as possible
    2. which leads on to Holmes barely squeezing past Norton meaning Holmes was grossly over-rated - as strong-chinned as Michael Spinks was no way should the 175lb champ have been able to best Holmes not once but twice IF Holmes really was as good as has been suggested
    3. a too-old Ali lost fair and square to Spinks, Holmes and Berbick but I had him winning the first Frazier fight 8-6-1 - Ali's own private opinion was that the fight was given in Joe's favour for political reasons
    4. Holyfield was a HEAVY juicer and his reputation as an iron-man is pure deception
    5. Toney under-trained for Jones Jr. - he started slowly losing 1-4 before coming on strong to take 5-8 - when he pressed the accelerator for 9-12 there was no response and Jones Jr (combination of great training and juicing) took all four to run out a comfortable winner - had Tony trained correctly Jones Jr would have been correctly seen as an almost-was - great speed, weak heart, weak chin
    6. Ruddock gave Tyson hell in both fghts but Tyson was still the man before he was hit with the criminal trial - the Douglas fight was Tyson's Turpin moment - he was hopelessly out-of-shape that day - everything was off - his timing, his stamina, his movement - he was partying too much, saw BD as an easy day-at-the-office and paid the price - BD was really not that good
    7. Lewis was a big strong man with decent skills and a good right - that's it ! - he would have lost easily to Tyson, Bowe and Holyfield had he fought them pre-1993 - he looked awesome against weak opposition - under pressure he would have been badly exposed as he eventually was by Klitschko - no genuine ATG was ever knocked cold twice by journeymen
    8. Bowe was awesome once he got going - he was frozen out of the title-scene by the politicos after the trash-can episode - he came in way too light against Golota and took a beating both times - the only man to knock out Evander The Juice Holyfield
    9. Eubank-Toney would have been a fight for the ages

12. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Corrie Sanders would've stopped Bowe prime for prime.

13. Kalasinn

Kalasinn ♧ OG Kally ♤ Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Wow. Just wow. :scaredas:

I watched that Garring Lane (a journeyman somewhat better than his 12-11-1 record may suggest to Boxrec-Warriors) fight, but I still strongly disagree (Although, I see Bowe as a huge underachiever, not overachiever like his legions of haters believe). Answer me this though Tommy, do you think Sanders could've been a Top 10 ATG Heavyweight, or do you just not rate Riddick as impressive in a Peak H2H sense? :think

I've often seen Klitschko-Fans in the General forum, very high on Sanders, talking of his potential to be a true Great in their opinions, but with you, it's a poster that I actually respect, & know not to be a Klittard, so i'd like to hear your take on Sanders' maximum potential with total dedication (Physically, Technically, Mentally), with a top trainer behind him, & no time wasted on Golf.

14. jbels08

jbels08 Member Full Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Ummmm what? I wouldn't go that far, he did beat his wife worse than Floyd

15. SJS19

SJS19 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2011
    At 160lbs, Bernard Hopkins would brutalise Tommy Hearns.