The value of fight prediction...

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jun 21, 2015.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Just setting the record straight...

I'm sure Rummy, kirk, and whoever else has run & tabulated a picking league of any decent size will agree the above metrics bear out for the average "knowledgeable" boxing fan. :good

2. markq

markq Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    2/3 and 3/4 is a pretty a darn good percentage. You can make a living off that in Vegas.

3. Super Hans

Super Hans The Super One™ banned

Apr 18, 2013
    I have more respect for posters who can identify the hype-jobs (like Broner & Ortiz) from the genuine articles (like Brook & Inoue).

It shows they don't need Max Kellerman and Ring magazine to help them decide who's the real deal.

4. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    I'd have a stunningly accurate prediction rate on here, if it weren't for my dogged obstinate contrarian streak of going with the underdog that I really want to win.

If just going by the upset losses I'd only be 10 picks down on kirk's challenge. Most of my inaccurate picks were accurate but robberies on the judge's scorecards.

5. Leoh

Leoh Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I think most people are really rooting for someone rather than picking them to win. I root for fighters whom I like their styles and I don't necessarily predict they will win. For example, it was the case for me with DeGale vs Dirrell where I was rooting for DeGale and it wasn't really a prediction, I was unsure of the outcome.

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Even guys like Atlas or Dwyer who get really bad raps probably don't have as low a % as some like to believe.

The routine, straightforward picks they actually get right most often. They just both make bold against-the-grain picks that end up being way off and that sticks in everyone's minds.

Realistically their % is probably not too much lower than normal for 'experts'. At minimum I'd guess somewhere in the high fifties.

7. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006

You see about that in most top 15s on internet boxing forum leagues.

8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Kellerman actually has a really good eye for talent, he just misses the mark sometimes. Everybody's human.

9. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I know when i'm guessing. I get a specific feeling when I don't know who is going to win and just don't allow matters to go any further :lol: which is kind of like cherry picking I suppose.

10. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006

:good

Then on the other hand, you, like all of us, have poured your heart & soul into analytical dissections of a match-up and felt confident only to have it go sour. It happens. Not a biggie.

11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Boxing's called the theater of the unexpected for a reason.

12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    :yep

13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    What was mine again? It was an Over/Under, bankrupted me. :sad2

14. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    "if you had someone who claimed Salka was going to brutally knock out Garcia, their credibility needs to be forever questioned just based on that one pick."

I predicated that :hey

I think over the next 2 years i'm going to make a list of imaginary bets and picks. See how much money I would have made/lost if they were actually put down.

15. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I picked Duran-Leonard I, Leonard-Hearns I and Holmes ****ey correctly and retired undefeated!!!!