The Way to beat Wilder

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by 80s champs, Nov 25, 2019.

1. 80s champs

80s champs Active Member Full Member

Nov 9, 2005
    We have to go back to 1985, the Marvin Hagler vs Tommy Hearns fight.Hagler knew that if he gave Hearns his distance,Hearns (who was a power puncher like Wilder but a bit more talented)could possibly pick him apart.By rushing the hit man,Hagler closed the gap and turned it into a street fight and stopping him in the third.Same scenario here,a heavyweight with Marvin's durability and some good power.Wilder needs to be stopped early and being kept from getting any range.Too risky to try to outbox him for the most part. Andy Ruiz?

zulander, Eel87, Bogotazo and 5 others like this.
  2. Ted Stickles

Ted Stickles Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Wilder is exactly that... a larger version of Hearns just not as fundamentally sound. I also want to rewatch the Hearns/Barkley fight

don owens likes this.
  3. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    I mostly agree. Ortiz had a lot of success when Wilder's back was against the ropes and he could not step away from the attack.

Wilder's long limbs allow him to generate a lot of power. In a phone booth fight, those long arms are not an advantage. I'm not sure Wilder can generate the type of power he does at bad breath distance.

You can't just rush Wilder. You'd have to work your way in using your jab, head movement and angles. Mike Tyson in his prime was a master at that.

I believe, until I see otherwise, Wilder is vulnerable on the inside. It's counter intuitive but the best way to beat his power might be to smother it rather than try to continually move away from it. Wilder is tall, reasonably quick and has a long reach. Part of his success has been he's able to deliver powerful shots when his opponents don't think he's in a position to.

4. Ph33rknot

Ph33rknot etreuM aL Full Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Personally I think some one who moves Ortiz stood in front of Wilder for 7 rounds was timed and flatlined

5. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Why don't people take Wilder on the inside? He always gets his knockout punch from range, keep him away from an outside fight. I wondered why Ortiz didn't do that, that's when he had success last fight.

Bogotazo likes this.
  6. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Have a pulse and not have an AARP card?

7. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Ruiz beats the **** out of him, just cant get careless when hes mounting his attack

8. Southpawswitch

Southpawswitch Active Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Getting in and smothering him isn't exactly the easiest thing to do. Wilder is highly mobile, quickly getting out of range and even when people do get inside, he's a lot stronger than he looks. Remember when Ortiz tried to hold him in their first fight and Wilder literally just judo throws Ortiz across the ring?

reckless and bbjc like this.
  9. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    So who is this heavyweight Marvin Hagler with the iron will and impervious chin?

10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    A bit? Are you dizzy?

northpaw likes this.
  11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ruiz? He seems to have the best chance with this game plan

don owens and Big Ukrainian like this.
  12. TheRevAshton

TheRevAshton Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Now i've been studying boxing for a while, and I think for sure the best way to beat Wilder would be via punches to the face. Whilst assuring that your own face, is completely un-punched.

BigBone, smiffyinoz, Seamus and 3 others like this.
  13. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    A left-handed, hard-chinned, power puncher with the experience who could go to Wilder's body, rough him up on the inside, and take the fight to him?

Oh, I know.

LUIS ORTIZ!!!

It resulted in four knockdowns and two KO wins for Wilder.

Unfortunately for fans of this scenario, Wilder has a better chin than Tommy Hearns did.

Hagler NEVER landed shots on Hearns, even when he stopped him, like Ortiz did in fight one against Wilder in their first meeting ... when Ortiz had the champ stumbling around. But Wilder didn't even go down, let alone get carried back to his corner in the arms of a bodyguard.

Ortiz cracked Wilder in the rematch, too. But it didn't matter.

If the plan is to ATTACK Wilder, he's going to reign for a REALLY long time.

The best plan would be to feint a lot, try to get Wilder to throw, then slip and counter him. But it will be difficult for anyone to avoid his shots for 36 minutes.

14. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Fury has the style to win, spoil and make the fight boring and ugly, run out the clock and land a few punches per round.

15. 80s champs

80s champs Active Member Full Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Nope..I was being kind to Wilder.I'm a big Hearns fan.

George Crowcroft likes this.