The Way to beat Wilder

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by 80s champs, Nov 25, 2019.

1. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    A heavyweight Winky Wright would beat Wilder easy. So would somebody like Ibeabuchi.

2. 80s champs

80s champs Active Member Full Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Nope .I was being generous to Wilder.

3. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Fury already beat Wilder, unfortunately he does not punch hard enough because if he did he would have knocked Wilder out. Now in terms of someone beating him on the inside and knock him out, there's nobody active right now that can do that because they do not have the skills.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. MarcelCerdan13

MarcelCerdan13 Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2017
    If you have similar Dimensions to Wilder, keep the jab in his face the whole fight and never stop giving him different looks and feints. Jab needs to have something on it every once in a while, and the occasional big straight right or left hook to maintain his respect.

If your significantly smaller, close the gap the instant it’s created and smother him with punches.

both approaches require a high degree of stamina and focus. I think fighting Wilder at midrange is a non-option unless you have an absolutely insane chin or enough power to take him out quickly. He’s gonna hit you eventually there.

5. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    It's true inside fighting is getting to be a lost art.

bandeedo likes this.
  6. sauhund II

sauhund II Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Dimwit......when you are 6'5 to 6'8 you do not fight on the inside unless you absolutely have to.....why would you give your advantages away.....the K brothers had ZERO inside game because they used their Height and reach exclusively ...why the F did WK grab you the moment you came in......because he had no infighting skills and needed to reset to get you to the outside again......Boxing 101.

7. Kratos

Kratos Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    why are you call him a dimwit? The whole point is that somebody who is much shorter than these giants fighting in the heavyweight division would destroy them all if they had the skills and the genetics to do it, unfortunately the USA specifically has been breeding sissies for the past 30 years and the lack of good trainers is a bad combination so it most likely won't happen for a very long time.

8. Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson Member Full Member

Jul 23, 2019
    This thread is an absolute insult to Tommy Hearns.

Eel87 likes this.
  9. SmackDaBum

SmackDaBum TKO7 banned Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Rewatch that fight. Fury had WIlder in trouble numerous times. But he chose the safe way not to engage that much after successful flurries on Wilder. Look how Wilder fumbled around after Fury connected.

10. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    no. when you can fight on the inside, also, your opponents chances are cut in half. look at spence, he has the length on most of his opponents, to beat them like he did mikey, but hes just as good up in your grill hammering you into hamburger. thats a complete fighter.

Malph likes this.
  11. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Why would a southpaw make it harder for Wilder when battles between southpaws and orthodox fighters often comes down to who lands their straight cross quicker?

12. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Hagler was a southpaw. I was referring to the Hagler-Hearns comparison, which is what the thread is about.

I don't think it's a good gameplan, either.

13. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I agree with everything except the "if you're significanlty smaller" part. If you're significantly smaller, you'll lose. Someone may win a shootout with Wilder someday years from now. But not right now.

Fury had the right game plan. He just kept going down.

Fury has the best chance to outpoint Wilder, with his size, movement, feints and couterpunching. But I don't think Fury will be as good as he was in their last fight, and Wilder will be heavier and stronger for the return, which doesn't bode well for Tyson.

I think Wilder's reign is going to contnue for a while. He doesn't take a lot of punishment, except the injuries he's suffered from punching (hands and bicep).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  14. 80s champs

80s champs Active Member Full Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Getting there.I am a huge fan of Hearns and saw a close similarity.Pound for pound Hearns is levels above Wilder.

15. mcguirpa

mcguirpa Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2009
    3 round shootout. Go in there to kick the **** out of him. He's too fit to box, he'll get you sooner or later