the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    James DeGale MD12 Badou Jack

DeGale takes the first two pretty clearly. In the first he scores a KD, kind of caught Jack cold on the movement side of things, just gliding in apparently unexpectedly with a straight left under the jab from a crouch. Great left to the bod/left hook combo from DeGale at the opening of that second round, too. Jack looks behind, but does tag him with a nice left hand in the final minute - that's a warning. Jack shades a very very tight third. He's basically trying to peg DeGale's movement while keeping his discipline and if he can maintain it, he should win because DeGale can move but is hardly impossible to reach. He's moving a lot now, circling to his lefft, looking for Jack to give him opportunities while trailing. This is a very high energy style. Bus him a nice little uppercut on the inside and then a wee snap from the outside. He catches Jack with a good right at the end of a combo, too. Jack is closing, but DeGale is fighting when he does. Maybe I was hasty to say Jack should win - it might be a matter of engine. Still, he takes another very close round. Two apiece the KD the difference.

The fifth was another desperately close round and again i've given it to Jack. I don't like giving three rounds to a guy when it's close...but that's the way I saw it. So DeGale now has a problem as it's all even after five. One thing though, you could make a case for DeGale winning 3 and 4, so it could arguably be 4-1 to DeGale with a KD. In the sixth, DeGale is trying to land harder punches, but he's pushing into Jack's guard a fair bit. It's weird. Meanwhile, Jack is landing more serious punches, which is going to win him the rounds. Punchstats in the US broadcast would tend to support my card so far...I just think Jack has more dig because he's picking his punches a bit better. It's good stuff. Great bodyshot in the sixth gets that round for Jack, too. It's Jack's best round of the fight and the only one he's clearly won - still, I now have him ahead.

Jack hits him down the pipe early in the seventh. His plan is working pretty much as I described and it's harder for DeGale the more he gets hit/steps. He lands good punches of hs own though. DeGale landing well as the round winds down, Jesus this is a tough round to score. Fast punches from DeGale in the final thirty seconds of the round, which are beautiful, brings him a round he desperately needs.

Jack opens the eighth brutally with an uppercut and a straight, DeGale is running. Very good fight. DeGale goes inside in response. He gets beat up there. He's working but he isn't hitting hard. He looks done tbh. Swollen, too.

Jack has a good engine. But DeGale is hitting hard now at the beginning of the ninth. He's foragging as the round winds down, coming awa and looking to hit as he does it. Mouthpiece of DeGale out for a second time. DeGale is in trouble. He has to fight so hard to win a round. But I think he won this one.

DeGale looking for combos early and they look good. Later, Jack punishes him by the ropes. I can't seperate them in this round in the normal way - i give it to DeGale on the workrate. So i have it even after ten. Jack takes a similarly close eleventh to stop the rot, I don't have him winning a round since the eighth...so DeGale needs the twelfth to salvage the draw.

He doesn't get it. In fact, he's dropped by a sweeping right uppercut, for the first time in his career. He looks banged up - apparently lost a tooth.

Very good fight. Not a robbery.

JACK:3,4,5,6,8,11,12**
    DEGALE:1*,2,7,9,10,

*Jack Down
    ** DeGale Down

114-112 Jack.

2. KnightAndDay

KnightAndDay Active Member Full Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Manny Pacquiao - Jessie Vargas

Rd 1 - 10-9, Pacquiao
    Rd 2 - 10-8, Pacquiao
    Rd 3 - 10-9, Pacquiao
    Rd 4 - 10-9, Vargas
    Rd 5 - 10-9, Vargas
    Rd 6 - 10-9, Vargas
    Rd 7 - 10-9, Pacquiao
    Rd 8 - 10-9, Pacquiao
    Rd 9 - 10-9, Pacquiao
    Rd 10 - 10-9, Pacquiao
    Rd 11 - 10-9, Pacquiao
    Rd 12 - 10-9, Pacquiao

117-110, Pacquiao

3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Fight 96: Leonard vs Duran

1: 9-10
    2: 9-10
    3: 9-10
    4: 9-10
    5: 10-9
    6: 10-9
    7: 9-10
    8: 9-10
    9: 9-10
    10: 10-9
    11: 10-9
    12: 9-10
    13: 9-10
    14: 10-9
    15: 10-9

141-144

Quite often I hear people saying anything less than 10-5 is too generous to Leonard but this fight was exceptionally close.

So much of this fight is Duran pushing Leonard against the ropes, the two exchanging on fairly even terms and the round being won by the man who lands the most knee buckling punch in the exchange.

The fight is fought at such a furious pace.

Two men actually laying it all on the line for greatness. There was some serious leather thrown here and you would not tip the winner of this war to succumb to a Hearns flurry so easily.

Holistically it is clear that Duran is ring general thought and has effective aggression. Clean punching is about even for the two. That being said whilst Duran is winning the fight, round by round there are so many swing rounds in this fight I can see how it could be scored for Leonard. I don't agree but I do see.

That being said this is an incredible performance by Duran and it really shows just how brilliant he was.

He stood toe to toe with one of the best fighters in recorded history and came out on top.

Absolutely incredible.

4. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Fight 97: Duran vs Leonard

3: 10-9
    6: 9-10
    7: 9-10
    8: tko

Of all the excuses ever made for a fighter, this is the worst one. Boo hoo he eat junk food instead of train, the man had 5 months in between fights that's plenty of time to whip himself into shape.

What this fight did do is show the multi dimensional aspect of Leonard's game.
    The way he beat Duran from the outside was incredible.

So quick on his feet, so sharp with his shots. He didn't just beat Duran, he broke him.

One of the best performances ever. Fight for fight Leonard has the best quality career in history. 3 of the best victories in history and that isn't even including the overwhelming assault that broke down Benitez, nor does it include the technical masterclass against Kalule.

I still can't make my mind up about this fight though. If he fought Montreal Duran with this gameplan, would he win? Could he realistically stay outside of the relentless pressure when brought first time around? My heart says no, but my head says he proved he could do here.

Greater, no, but better, yes. Leonard was the best one of the fab 4.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Fight 98: Jones Jr vs Hopkins

1:10-9
    2:10-9
    3:10-9
    4:10-9
    5:10-9
    6:10-9
    7:10-9
    8:10-9
    9:10-9
    10:10-9
    11:9-10
    12:9-10

118-110

Jones Jr, virtually shuts out an absolute legend in Hopkins.

I know it was the first big fight for both men but I honestly don't buy into the whole green argument.

Hopkins went on to dominate for a decade. He arguably didn't suffer defeat again until Chad Dawson.

Taylor and Calzaghe both took SD victories but the fights could easily go the other way. Jones made it look so easy.

Whether it was pot shotting at range or leaping onto pre emptive ambush attacks, he just did what he wanted.

Hopkins adapted and tried to brawl and pressure him against the ropes but Jones was too atheltic to stay pinned down.

If you can't beat him on the outside and you can't catch him on the inside what the hell do you do? Hopkins chose to keep pushing and those last two rounds he finally had some decent success.

The fight often goes under the radar because at the time it was an obscure meeting between two prospects, but even then the commentators notice how well schooled Hopkins is, and that he's a better technician than Jones, however he just can't make it work against someone so quick.

Truth be told, I don't favour any one to make it work against him.

6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Can't believe I only have two fights left now.
    Absolutely mental.

7. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    degale jack was a really good fight, wasn't keeping score but I will if I watch it again.
    jack sure didn't fight like he was tight at the weight, be surprised to see him move up with this rematch on the table.

8. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Fight 99: Whitaker vs Chavez

1:9-10
    2:10-9
    3:10-9
    4:10-9
    5:9-10
    6:10-9
    7:10-9
    8:10-9
    9:10-9
    10:10-9
    11:10-9
    12:10-9

118-110

This fight was an incredible performance by Sweet Pea. Not even getting into the controversial nature of the cards, it was an incredible showing.

His footwork was brilliant but more than that was his activity. He was constantly punching and catching Chávez on the way in as well as from range.

Some rounds were close because of how aggressive Chávez was also due to the seeming nature of Chávez being the bigger puncher. Rounds 2,6 and 12 could have realistically gone to Julio. Any other rounds are a bit of a stretch imo.

Whitaker proved himself here as a p4p god.

IMO a p4p god bettered only by 1 other fight in history...

9. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Fight 100: LaMotta vs Robinson

3: 9-10
    6: 10-9
    7: 10-9
    8: 10-9
    9: 9-10
    10: 9-10
    11: 9-10
    12: 9-10
    13: tko

What a fight to finish my quest on.

The Valentine's day massacre. Ironically this wasn't really a massacre at all, the first 4 rounds saw Robinson stick and move with flash combinations from the outside. The next 4 saw LaMotta up a gear and Robinson go on the defensive to conserve his energy. Sugar didn't fancy standing his ground at that point so he got on his bike to avoid taking much damage.

Round 9 saw Robinson gamble by meeting Jake in the middle of the ring and going on the front foot in the hope Jake had used up a lot of energy chasing him round the ring. He was right, from there we saw Sugar walking forward and whipping in the best combination punches I've ever seen.

Round 11 saw Jake have a moment of success but that was to be followed by Sugar spinning him round and landing a volley of flush hurtful shots.

The last two rounds are a massacre, Robinson dominated him landing every shot in the book until the ref waved it off.

The best performance I've ever seen on film.

Now that my list has been completed with this great fight, there's only one thing to do, go grab myself a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I've changed the order a couple of times over the past 6 month but this is my top 100 that I'm sticking with now. The only change will be if modern fighters userp any positions in it:

1 Ray Robinson
    2 Pernell Whitaker
    3 Roy Jones
    4 Ray Leonard
    5 Roberto Duran
    6 Benny Leonard
    7 Henry Armstrong
    8 Willie Pep
    9 Ezzard Charles
    10 Muhammad Ali
    11 Eder Jofre
    12 Joe Louis