the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Roberto Duran vs Edwin Viruet I

Maybe I am alone in this but this is a dreadful fight among the worst I have ever watched. But the crowd roared in approval after 8 and after the final bell? The commentary team was dreadful!!!! But if you liked this fight you won’t like my review.

Commentary: this is one of the best lightweight fights ever.
    Round 5 this is the greatest LW fight ever fought in the metropolitan area.
    Round 8 this is the greatest LW round ever fought in the metropolitan area.
    Round 9 the finest fight ever in the metropolitan area
    Between 9-10 one of the greatest fights ever.

Maybe I didn’t watch it right this was dreadful to me and I almost shut it off after 7 rounds but figured I had made it this far.

The winner of the fight....the referee! Who was worse than Joe Cortez! He allowed viruet to clinch and hold without repercussions and the ref single handily stunted Duran’s plan.

The judges scored 2-3-4 rounds for Viruet? I don’t know how you can score 4 for him unless clowning scores rounds?

Viruet- a tall rangy mobile awkward fighter who was content to clown and run (literally! I mean he really ran and jogged in circles in multiple rounds), but outside of his jab had little offense. He clinched Duran and tied him up every time Duran got inside or to the ropes. The ref allowed this a neutralized Duran’s infighting.

Duran- 1 I wonder if he trains and focuses for these 10 round non title fights because he was not sharp. He did a poor job cutting off the ring (although TBF it wouldn’t have mattered, as the ref allowed Viruet to clinch non stop inside). Duran’s jab and midrange skills looked poor and he was getting outboxed from midrange and outside where Viruet’s jab could land.

I believe it was after this fight that Arcel said he knew how to beat Duran and there are flashes of SRL vs Duran II strategy used in this fight.

The only thing Duran did was enough to win! Go ahead and watch it if you want! If you enjoy this good for you....if you think it is horrific, well I tried to warn you!

RBR
    1 Duran
    2 Duran
    3 Viruet
    4 Duran
    5 Even
    6 Duran
    7 Duran
    8 Duran
    9 Duran
    10 Viruet

Duran 98-93

2. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Philly, I did these two just a couple of months ago, so they're still somewhat fresh. NY scoring on a rounds basis.

Duran - Viruet I

Round 1: Duran
    Round 2: Viruet
    Round 3: Duran
    Round 4: Even
    Round 5: Even
    Round 6: Duran
    Round 7: Duran
    Round 8: Duran
    Round 9: Viruet
    Round 10: Even

Total: 5-2-3 Duran

Very tough to score and one has to really pay attention to the nuances in the ring. Perhaps Viruet has that kind of style that doesn't jar me. I just felt Duran's heftier shots outweighed Viruet's flashy combos, but not by much. This was a very close fight and those swing rounds could go either way. To bring up a point that I noticed after watching the bout, I looked at the officials scorecards and Harold Lederman who does not score Even rounds, had it 6-3-1 for Duran. An Even round from Harold??? Damn, that had to be close.

Dejesus - Viruet

Round 1: Dejesus
    Round 2: Viruet
    Round 3: Even
    Round 4: Dejesus
    Round 5: Dejesus
    Round 6: Dejesus
    Round 7: Even
    Round 8: Viruet
    Round 9: Dejesus
    Round 10: Dejesus

Total: 6-2-2 Dejesus

It was controversial at the time and after watching it I see why. It really depends on what you're looking for, but in this fight what makes it difficult is that for 10 rounds Dejesus does a lot of missing and Viruet fights a somewhat negative fight, so one is left weighing who actually did more. I felt very comfortable on my verdict, but I can see how it could be subjective on how you score.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  3. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Appreciate your thoughts and scorecards. I have Dejesus vs Viruet and Dejesus vs Mamby on my radar to score in the next week or so.

4. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Roberto Duran vs Leonicio Ortiz

Now this was a fun fight to watch!

Ortiz presents a tough puzzle for Duran to solve. Ortiz has the southpaw style that gives Duran some trouble early on and his straight right should have been used more and more effectively, but in the end it didn’t matter. Ortiz has a really nice tight defense, and makes Duran work hard and throw with a lot of volume to land and be effective. Ortiz keeps his hands high and his elbows tight inside making it difficult for Duran to land anything of substance. As the fight progresses Ortiz slows down, and Duran does not. Duran sweeps the mud rounds on sheer volume and lack of firing back from Ortiz, but Ortiz is still making him work hard to land clear shots. Between 8-14 Duran is able to land better more consistent shots and hurts Ortiz in 3 separate rounds but all close to the bell where he can’t finish Ortiz off. Duran seems to coast in 12-13 and/or Ortiz gets a second wind...I think it was more of Duran just being patient and aware that he was ahead and believing it was a matter of time, rather than a real momentum shirt towards Ortiz. But either way Ortiz fights tough in 12-13.

By the 14th Duran is teeing off. Ortiz still has nice tight D that Duran has trouble cracking but late in the round he does. Ortiz is a little more open on defense and his elbows are no longer tight to his body. Ortiz just isn’t throwing enough although he certainly has good sequences in most rounds. The 15th is more of the same and while I don’t know how the judges had it, it looks like Duran Ortiz will go to the cards and Duran comfortably ahead on mine.

With 38 seconds left Tom Berkshire tells the audience don’t go anywhere this is going to the cards and they will be tight. 10 seconds later Duran drops Ortiz with a great right uppercut and it’s all over.

RBR
    1 Duran
    2 Ortiz
    3 Ortiz
    4 Ortiz
    5 Duran
    6 Duran
    7 Duran
    8 Duran
    9 Duran
    10 Duran
    11 Duran
    12 Ortiz
    13 Even
    14 Duran

Duran 136-131 at the time of stoppage in the 15th.

5. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Just rewatched this based on the Chavez v Duran thread. I had it a shutout for Chavez although it was competitive for the first 6 rounds but Chavez was relentless in his pressure. The difference between Duran and Chavez in the way they apply pressure is interesting. You can feel the intensity coming from Duran even when he's stalking. Chavez is implacable but cool with it - always intelligent pressure and wastes very few punches. Duran sets up his attacks with lots of feints before teeing off, Chavez creates his attacks in this fight by well timed counter jabs that allow him to close the distance and then work the body. He keeps Rosario in place against the ropes using his elbows and shoulders (but legally) to create a barrier from escape. So once Rosario is there he's forced to stay fighting with his back against the ropes - big mistake. Rosario didn't fight badly, he just couldn't sustain the pace that Chavez set and was gradually worn down.

I thought Richard Steele's stoppage was excellent. The 8th, 9th and 10th were big Chavez rounds but it was round 11 you could see that the only thing keeping El Chapo up was his heart.

Great performance by JCC. I wished he'd stayed at lightweight for longer.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  6. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Jim Watt vs. Sean O'Grady

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Watt
    Round 3: 10-9 Watt
    Round 4: 10-9 O'Grady
    Round 5: 10-9 Watt
    Round 6: 10-9 O'Grady
    Round 7: 10-9 Watt
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-9 O'Grady
    Round 10: 10-9 Watt
    Round 11: 10-9 Watt
    Round 12: TKO win for Watt

Total through 11 completed rounds: 107-104 Watt

It was a shame in the manner that this bout was stopped. After the 9th it looked like the handwriting was on the wall with the amount of damage O'Grady inflicted on Watt. But that is boxing. The ref should have taken a stern stance and at least warned them about the heads. This is going to happen when you get a southpaw with a right-hander, but he didn't appear to be a strong official.

7. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vazquez 1-4

Decided to revisit this great trilogy! The 4th fight I wished hadn’t happened and I am glad number 5 didn’t come off.

These guys were just made for each other! Their styles different but blend seemless for a great contrast of 2 determined guys. I feel this is on par with any of the greatest trilogies ever.

Marquez the more skilled boxer Vazquez the more punishing hitter. Marquez the quicker and better at creating angles and Vazquez continuously stalking and relentlessly tirelessly pushing Marquez to his limit. Both limited defensively creating multiple attack opportunities and both guys delivered!

I thought fight one was the best, and then 2 and then 3 with 4 not really worth another rewatch in my lifetime.

Fight I RBR
    1 Marquez
    2 Marquez
    3 Vazquez 10-8
    4 Marquez
    5 Marquez
    6 Marquez
    7 Even
    Vazquez retires on his stool before round 8 with Marquez up on my card 68-65 at the time of stoppage

Fight II RBR
    1 Marquez
    2 Vazquez
    3 Even
    4 Marquez
    5 Vazquez
    Vazquez knocks Marquez down and has him in a bad spot when the ref stops it. I felt the stoppage was premature and disappointing. Not sure the result would change but I felt like us fans and both fighters deserved to find out. I had it even 48-48 after 5 with Vazquez on his way to a 10-8 or potentially a 10-7 round at stoppage.

Fight III RBR
    The only decision fight and a close controversial one that neither guy deserved to lose. Marquez would lose a pt in rd 10, that the ref had warned him about low blows and made a justifiable decision...a shame that without that this would have been a draw. A draw would probably be more fair even though I had Marquez by a pt.

1 Marquez
    2 Marquez
    3 Marquez
    4 Marquez 10-8
    5 Marquez
    6 Vazquez
    7 Marquez
    8 Vazquez
    9 Vazquez
    10 Marquez 9-9 with deduction
    11 Vazquez
    12 Vazquez 10-8
    Marquez 113-112 on my card
    Outside of the 4 & 12th every other rd was close enough to be scored even or towards the other guy. 2 judges had it 114-111 for each guy and both to me are fair...the 3rd had it 113-112 Vazquez with the deduction taking the fight from a draw to a Vazquez SD victory.

Fight 4 does not warrant my commentary except to say Marquez evened the series up which seems suitable. Neither guy is at their best and Marquez is just not quite as depleted and past it as Vazquez

Great series!!!!

Jel and scartissue like this.
  8. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Jofre v Harada 1

1 9-10
    2 9-10
    3 10-10 (Jofre wakes up, excellent action)
    4 8-10:
    Wow! Jofre badly wobbled and hurt. Brilliant from Harada who never let him off the hook once for the rest of the round. Jofre showed great resilience just to make it through.
    5 10-9:
    Double wow! Remarkable recovery in this round from Jofre who unloads on Harada and wins his first clear round of the fight. What true champions are made of.
    6 9-10:
    a relative breather of a round after the insanity of the previous two, very close but feel Harada just edged it
    7 10-9 (Jofre takes it with the better flurries)
    8 10-9 (Jofre shades it again)
    9 10-10 (difficult to score)
    10 9-10 (tight round again, just gave it to Harada on busyness)
    11 10-9 (another tight one, but Jofre got in the better shots)
    12 9-10 (some excellent action but Harada generally in charge)
    13 10-10 (Harada started quickly, Jofre came back but no real clear advantage for either man - another drawn round)
    14 10-9 (Jofre landed the more significant punches)
    15 9-10 (Harada shaded it, although there was mostly holding)

7-5 rounds to Harada with 3 even
    Jofre 142-145 Harada

I scored this on the 10 point must system although that wasn't the scoring method of the time - 5 point scoring system, I think - but I'm less familiar with that. I guess it would have been 68-70 based on my card (depending on how the 4th was scored) but not sure. Very happy for someone to enlighten me on this!

Anyway, great fight and Harada deserved the win although Jofre gave a great performance too. The 4th and 5th were the standouts with both guys deserving huge credit.

The level of mutual respect was great to see as well. None of the bull**** posturing and false bravado that you always see in fights these days, just two great, great pros going at it. Today's fighters could learn an awful lot from these two in more ways than just how to fight.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    roughdiamond and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  9. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Lupe Pintor vs Ejiro Murata
    SD Draw

This is a fun hard to score fight! I thought there were 9 close debatable rounds. I had 3 even rounds and the judges had 3-4-5 even rounds on theirs. Tough fight to score.

Murata with the quick jab, quick combinations and better accuracy. Or Pintor pressing the action landing the heavier shots but not really throwing combinations. I felt like he was loading up for a big punch but missed frequently. His upper cut looked ready to rip Muratas head off but he missed wildly on most of them.

I feel like Murata edged this but can’t call it a robbery since I feel there were 9 close rounds. I don’t like the 5 pt Pintor card because it seems like every close round would have to go his way. I think 2 pts to either guy or anywhere in between is more likely.

RBR
    1 Even
    2 Murata
    3 Pintor
    4 Murata
    5 Even
    6 Pintor
    7 Murata
    8 Murata
    9 Murata
    10 Pintor
    11 Pintor
    12 Murata
    13 Even
    14 Pintor
    15 Murata
    Murata 7-5-3
    Murata 145-143

scartissue and roughdiamond like this.
  10. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    First time scoring post :)

Eder Jofre VS Fighting Harada II

Harada - Jofre

RD1 - 9-10 Jofre (Nice body blows from Jofre)
    RD2 9-10 Jofre
    RD3 10-9 Harada (Harada came to life in this round!)
    RD4 9-10 Jofre (Close, almost scored 10-10)
    RD5 10-9 Harada (Brilliant movement from Harada in this round)
    RD6 10-9 Harada
    RD7 9-9 Harada (harada had point taken for butting)
    RD8 10-9 Harada
    RD9 10-9 Harada (Close)
    RD10 9-10 Jofre
    RD11 10-9 Harada
    RD12 9-10 Jofre
    RD13 10-9 Harada
    RD14 10-9 Harada
    RD15 10-9 Harada

MY TOTAL:
    144 HARADA
    140 JOFRE

OFFICIAL SCORES (5 point must)
    Referee: Nick Pope 68-69
    Judge: Hiroyuki Tezaki 68-71
    Judge: Takeo Ugo 69-71

Notes:
    I scored using ten point must system as it is the method I am most familiar with.
    I found this quite a hard bout to score.
    Quite a few shots from Harada strayed very low. Lots of butting and head clashing also.
    Harada's right hand to the body is a beautiful shot.
    Harada has a very under rated defense.
    Jofre has extremely powerful and punishing body blows, but was too inconsistent in application.
    Jofre also gave up dominant positions to Harada, and was pushed around on the ropes frequently.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  11. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006

Round 1: 10-9 Murata
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 4: 10-9 Murata
    Round 5: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 6: 10-9 Murata
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 9: 10-9 Murata
    Round 10: 10-10 Even
    Round 11: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 12: 10-10 Even
    Round 13: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 14: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 15: 10-9 Murata

Total: 145-144 Pintor

What a fight! I recall seeing a clip back in the day of Murata against Chandler and I though he was just a big slapping type puncher, but seeing him in this fight in its entirety I have changed my tune. More of a clubbing puncher, but what heart. I felt like an Asian judge with all my even rounds. A terrific ebb and flow to this fight. I didn't believe Pintor was in control until the 14th round, but then Murata actually came back to win the 15th on my card. Not counting even rounds, we only disagreed on rounds 6 & 8, Philly, but they were all so close and enjoyable. A really good fight and I have no problem with the draw decision.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  12. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Takuya Muguruma vs Chan Young Park

Muguruma (Red) vs Park (white) is a fun fight to watch! I deducted a pt from Park in the 3rd for a butt? It looked like that is what was ruled but I can’t tell for sure?

A skilled puncher faces a skilled boxer and it is a fun clash of styles!

Muguruma starts fast and builds a slight lead in the first 2 rounds. Rounds 3-7 are fun tight to score rounds, with Muguruma starting strong and Park taking the final half making them hard to score. 5-7 Park is shifting the tide and while the rounds are close he is edging them. 8-10 and 11 are largely Park just outboxing and gradually wearing him down before the ref waves it off in 11.

RBR
    1 Muguruma
    2 Muguruma
    3 Park 9-9 with pt deduction
    4 EVEN
    5 Park
    6 Park
    7 Park
    8 Park
    9 Park
    10 Park
    Park TKO 11
    Park 97-93 at stoppage

13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    We both had 3 even rounds, although all 3 were different lol. Outside of those 6 rounds we had the other 9 all the same. Pretty good as this is tough to score.

Difficult to score for a number of reasons, I think 8 rounds could be scored even or to either guy. Really difficult to score based upon the quality of film to be sure if punches were landing clear....the single stationary camera also made it difficult to see what was landing when one guys back was toward the camera, perhaps a 1/4 of the fight.

Because of those factors I have even less confidence in my card as a good portion is based upon what I perceived to be effective aggression.

As for Jel’s Question I am
    Not sure about rd 4? I think it would be scored 5-4 w/o a KD or penalty? But I didn’t think it was 10-8 level? I could be wrong but even though Harada was swarming him and taking the round, I felt like Eder’s defense was elbows tight to the body hands up high and even though Harada is throwing high volume I felt like Jofre was picking them off and blocking a good portion of them? But the film quality made it hard for me to say as an absolute either way.

I felt like Jofre was not sharp or in condition and wasn’t stringing enough combos together. To much single punching from him. Harada seemed hungry and to outwork Jofre in many rounds because of that IMO! Harada seemed to overwhelm or outwork in the rounds he won, but rd 10? He boxed great and outboxed Jofre during that particular round.

RBR
    1 Harada
    2 Even
    3 Jofre
    4 Harada
    5 Jofre
    6 Harada
    7 Jofre
    8 Even
    9 Jofre
    10 Harada
    11 Even
    12 Harada
    13 Harada
    14 Jofre
    15 Harada
    Harada 145-143
    Official card 5 pt system:
    Harada 70-68

Jel likes this.
  14. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Good job bro! For whatever it is worth we only had 3 rounds different. So we either both did good or poor lol. I did feel 8 rds were close enough to score a variety of ways.

Good fun fight with a lot of ebbs and flow in action. Jofre once again didn’t string his punches together enough, and the volume and workrate of Harada were enough to take this close fight.

Jofre starts faster than the first fight and while he takes the first couple of rounds Harada is investing in the body which pays dividends later on. Jofres jab is sharper this fight and he finds more success with his uppercut and overhand right than the first one. Harada just brought to much pressure and volume taking rounds and slowing Jofre even more during the final 2 rounds.

Fun fight
    1 Jofre
    2 Jofre
    3 Harada
    4 Even
    5 Harada
    6 Harada
    7 Jofre 5-3
    8 Harada
    9 Harada
    10 Jofre
    11 Even
    12 Jofre
    13 Harada
    14 Harada
    15 Harada
    Harada 69-67 on my card

roughdiamond likes this.
  15. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Jofre was too inconsistent in this bout. He could've won this one, Harada didn't look as sharp.

One thing Harada didn't invest as much in, which basically won him the first bout, was the jab to the body. It was beautiful in the first bout, but here Harada soemwaht neglected it and sought out rights to the body without setup. Still, it was enough for him to win.

I found this quite a hard one to score. I've seen several people with varying scorecards, there were a few who thought Jofre won!

I'll have to score another bout soon. I quite enjoyed it!

PhillyPhan69 likes this.