the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Rafael Herrera vs Chucho Castillo II

Very fun fight to watch and difficult to score! I can’t find one round where I could say “no way you could score for the other guy or even”, maybe 8 for Herrera but this is cool.

The ref must have done a great job because I can’t even remember seeing him in the ring?

The first is the slowest of the fight, both guys probing trying to gauge range I felt Herrera landed more and Chucho better but that Herrera nipped it.

2-3 chucho seems to have figured the range quicker and lands better for the first 2 minutes with Herrera coming on better over the final minute.

Herrera looks bigger but does not seem to impose his length on Castillo.

4-8 Herrera starting to gauge a little better and by 6-7 seems to be imposing his size, utilizing his jab and dictating pace and space a little better.

9-12 very fun rounds, with Herrera landing that jab (looks like a smaller version of Monzon at times), and getting some good leverage on hooks inside. Castillo countering good with short compact punches digging into the body good.

These guys have a style that meshes well. A very tactical fight, but not a slugfest....yet there are no lulls in action either. Every round is fought competitively at a quick pace. Good ebbs and flows but no major momentum shifts.

RBR
    1 Herrera
    2 Castillo
    3 Herrera
    4 Herrera
    5 Castillo
    6 Herrera
    7 Herrera
    8 Herrera
    9 Castillo
    10 Herrera
    11 Castillo
    12 Castillo
    Herrera 7-5

But I wouldn’t argue with some one who also had it 7-5 the other way with every round (except 8) different from mine.

2. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Rafael Herrera vs Ruben Olivares I

Man Herrera looks sharp and while the other guy looks like Ruben Olivares he does not resemble the Olivares I know and love.

I don’t want to take anything away from Herrera or his performance, but Olivares is slow, sloppy and disengaged for the first 3 rds. Rds 4-7 he looks a little more in tune but is still getting beat to the punch. Rd 6 is well worth the watch if you have not seen this fight before. By rd 8 Ruben is bleeding from the right eye running down his face when Herrera lands a right (nothing huge?) and drops Olivares who seems to take his time getting up (intentional?) and does not try to beat the count.

The 3 judges have a shutout for Herrera through 7 but manage to find 3-3-2 even rds. Outside of 6 I am not sure if anything was close enough to score even, and I had it 70-63 Herrera.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  3. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Rafael Herrera vs Ruben Olivares II

Much better than the first fight, or at least more competitive. Olivares still does not look like his prime self, and Herrera does not look as good as he did against Castillo or Olivares I.

Ruben seems to engage a little more and does not get forced to fight off of the back football night, yet his punches are not sharp or crisp and his jab has very little snap on it. He is slower but still able to hold his own inside. Herrera again does not look as good as the first fight and his punches look much sharper and harder. Looking at this without a scorecard I would assume Herrera won comfortably but not wide....in compartments it is close and could arguably go either way.

I felt rds 3-4-6-8-9 were very very hard to score and I had them 3-2 in favor of Ruben the easier (not wide) to score rds I had 4-1 for Herrera and felt Ruben gave this away innthe first half pretty much. But I wouldn’t argue an even card or a narrow Ruben win (but I would imagine you gave him the majority of close rounds).

RBR
    1 Herrera
    2 Herrera
    3 Herrera (close)
    4 Olivares (close)
    5 Herrera
    6 Herrera (Close)
    7 Herrera (Olivares gets KD’d)
    8 Olivares (close)
    9 Olivares (close)
    10 Olivares
    Herrera 6-4 or 96-93

Not sure if Olivares has his heart in boxing anymore? He was weight drained for the first fight and moved up to FW, then he comes in over weight for this and says he couldn’t get excited about this fight during training...he also says that didn’t affect his performance. I don’t buy it, he didn’t start to engage till after the KD and by that time he was well behind on my card.

4. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Yoko Gushiken vs Juan Antonio Guzman

This is a super fun, short slugfest! Checking out some Gushiken this week, and this seemed a good place to start.

The first is a feeling out round but still some good back and forth exchanges.

Midway through the 2nd just as I am thinking “Guzman is showing some smooth defense” he gets caught with a straight right, lowers his right and a beautifully timed left sends him to the ropes and then down under a barrage. Guzman takes a beating and looks to make it out of the round when Yoko drops him again at the 2:59 pt.

3rd round (round of the year material) is fun and very close. Guzman hurts and almost drops Gushiken but he quickly recovers.

Round 4- Guzman looks pretty good but then he gets dropped again. Pretty impressive that he survived the rd.

5/6 all Gushiken. By the 6th Guzman’s best offense is a feint, and his punches have little on them.

Rd 7 Gushiken drops him a 4th time, and he just sits there not even trying to rise.

Very fun slugfest.

RBR
    1 Gushiken
    2 Gushiken (5-2)
    3 Guzman (close)
    4 Gushiken (5-3)
    5 Gushiken
    6 Gushiken

Gushiken by KO 7 up 29-22 on my card.

scartissue likes this.
  5. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Yoko Gushiken vs Martin Vargas

Man I have not seen Vargas fight before but he earned respect in a losing effort. I looked up his record and he is solid but seems to be one of those guys that faces Canto Betulio and Gushiken and comes up just short.

This is a strategic and tactical fight that to me is more competitive than the scorecards might indicate.

1-2 feeling out rounds. Gushiken seems content to let Vargas set the tempo. Vargas is a little flat footed and slow both of foot and hand, but keeps coming forward. Gushiken shows great patience and counters well as he gets the timing and space down. His foot speed gets him in and out before Vargas can capitalize and his hand speed edges 2 close rounds.

Rd 3 by the 2 15 pt I think Vargas is going to take a close round. When a perfectly timed left sends him stumbling and almost down. He holds on and escapes the rd but lost one he could have had.

Rd 4 Vargas seems tentative and does not stalk forward like he was but Gushiken takes the initiative and wins a comfortable rd.

Rd 5 Vargas marching forward again and the rd is close. Gushiken wins the majority of exchanges but Vargas lands several good shots. When Gushiken drops him with about 5 seconds left.

You really need to fight every second of every round with Gushiken as half of his KD’s seem to come with 10 seconds or less left in a round.

Rd 6 Gushiken moving with purpose and confidence now. Drives Vargas back to the ropes...I am thinking it might be over...but Vargas slugs and drives Gushiken back...Gushiken wins the exchanges down the stretch but Vargas is making him work.

Rd 7 Vargas punches have little on them and they are wide and slow, but he never stops trying. Gushiken takes the majority of exchanges but Vargas still lands some good shots.

Rd 8 Vargas still coming forward when Gushiken drops him at the 1 00 minute mark....the next 41 seconds it is all Gushiken as he drops him again....Vargas is up again instantly. The ref waves it off as Gushiken drops him a 3rd time.

Very fun fight.

RBR not necessary shutout for Gushiken 70-62 on my card, but again this is not a total beatdown till the final round, and Vargas is a tough dude!

scartissue likes this.
  6. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Yoko Gushiken vs Yong Hyun Kim

Gushiken is not really tested in this fight and he takes a wide decision on my card and the judges although my reluctance to score even rds makes my card wider. The judges scored 0-1-2 rounds for Kim and 6-6-4 even rds. There are a handful of close rds but not close enough to swing me. The ref seemed very biased towards Gushiken warning Kim 3 times for what seemed ordinary southpaw vs orthodox clashes....and then takes a pt from Kim in 11.

Kim starts in an awkward low crouch blending an unpolished bob and weave. He is very flat footed and looks much slower of hand and foot. Guishken takes a feeling out round.

Gushiken has little trouble early as Kim’s jab is slow, but he is deceptively quicker of foot and hand than it appears. He is able to back away quickly and land a quick punch or two but not fast enough to sustain a flurry or extended combo. Kim holds his hands high, but is still susceptible and open to the jab and uppercut, and exposes his sides for a number of body shots.

4-7?are all very close competitive rds. Kim begins timing the jab and slipping inside while Gushiken continues to work the body and go up high. Gushiken keeps his right low and is open to a number of lefts but Kim is just not polished or skilled enough to take advantage. In the 6th he lands 2 nice rights that swing the round for him as the only one I scored for him. 7 has some fun back and forth exchanges where Gushiken starts and finishes well and Kim lands good mid round.

8-15 are largely Gushiken although Kim has moments due to Gushiken leaky D. But he is not skilled or quick enough to sustain an attack or win an exchange.

RBR not necessary
    1-5 & 7-15 Gushiken w/11 10-8
    6 for Kim....

I did find 2/4/5/7 very competitive if you want to score them even like the judges I could see it. I just felt it was all Gushiken

7. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Sung Kil Moon vs Singnoi Singkrungthon
    Have you ever wanted to watch a fight but we’re short on time...only takes 11 minutes to watch this fun slugfest!

Moon comfortably wins the first, although Singkrungthon lands some bombs of his own. Rd 2 could be scored 10-8 even though the ref didn’t rule a KD. After 30 seconds of slugging the power of Moon wins out. He is basically teeing off and Has Singkrungthon out on his feet.

Round 3 more of the same, but Moon knocks him down midway through,and the ref waves it off when he rises.

20-18 or 20-17 Moon
    Moon by TKO 3

8. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Tommy Coyle vs Daniel Brizuela

All hail the journey men, gate keepers and fringe contenders.

A recent fight that is one of the more enjoyable international level scraps. 8 knockdowns, 3 pt deductions, premature stoppage but a very fun 45 minutes. It is clear they are not quite world level, but they are not far off either....lots of heart from both guys.

RBR
    1 Coyle (10-9)
    2 Brizuela 10-8 (Brizuela 19-18)
    3 Coyle (28-28)
    4 Brizuela (Brizuela 38-37)
    5 Brizuela (Brizuela 48-46)
    6 Brizuela 10-7 (Brizuela 58-53)
    7 Coyle (Brizuela 67-63)
    8 Coyle 9-8 (Brizuela 75-72)
    9 Brizuela 9-9 (Brizuela 84-81)
    10 Coyle (Brizuela 93-91)
    11 Coyle 9-8 (Brizuela 101-100)
    Coyle by TKO rd 12

Lots of excitement and heart shown here!

Brizuela drops coyle in rd 2 with an overhand right....not hurt badly but enough to build the tension.

Brizuela drops Coyle twice with body shots...coyle not only survives the last 80 seconds but bounces back nicely.

Coyle penalized for a low blow in 8 after 2 prior warnings. Comes on to take the round and drops Brizuela with a nice right. 9-8 rd due to deduction.

Brizuela gets a bad deduction for a low blow in 9. Bad low blow but harsh with no previous warning. Brizuela takes the rd but scored 9-9 due to deduction.

Rd 11 is a fun 3 minutes. Another body shot drops Coyle, and he looks bad. Beats the count and Coyle drops Brizuela seconds later with a nice rd. Coyle loses a pt for another low blow and then delivers a combo dropping Brizuela again seconds later. Coyle 9-8 with the deduction.

Coyle drops Brizuela early in the 12th. Brizuela punches the canvas mad at himself. Beats the count and looks good to go. Nods when the ref asks is he is ready and....the ref waves it off.

A poor ending to a fun determined effort from both guys!

9. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Ricardo Córdoba vs Bernard Dunne

Very entertaining fight between 2 guys with a lot of heart! A lot of rough house tactics some borderline dirty and illegal....multiple low blows a few headbutts, holding the head under the arm, pushing the neck down with the forearm, a couple of hits behind the head and on the break, and a fair amount of clinching from both guys...strange clinching since neither guy looks real comfortable operating on the inside, and both seem more comfortable at mid range. But it’s good, both guys did their fair share.

Dunne drops Córdoba in the 3rd and makes a very competitive fight a deadlock on my card.

Accidental headbutt in 4 leads to a cut over Dunnes eye.

Córdoba takes control on the cards and in the fight dropping Dunne twice.

Oddly rounds 6-10 don’t have any knockdowns but are some exciting slugging from both guys.

In 8 Córdoba gets cut on his eye, but I didn’t see what punch (if it was one?) did it.

In 10 Dunne looks out on his feet and is now bleeding from both eyes (again I didn’t see the cause of this cut).

Round 11 both guys running on nothing but fumes and heart. I keep waiting for one to go, and both look like they could...

Dunne KD’s Córdoba, then again, then a 3rd time! It’s all over!

Dunne wins!!!! By TKO 10

Glad this didn’t go to the cards as the judges were much wider than me.

RBR
    1 Córdoba
    2 Córdoba
    3 Dunne 10-8
    4 Dunne
    5 Córdoba 10-7
    6 Dunne
    7 Córdoba
    8 Dunne
    9 Dunne
    10 Córdoba

Dunne by TKO 11! Córdoba up 94-93 on my card...the judges had him up 3-5-7 pts on their cards.

10. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Kevin Kelley vs Alejandro Gonzalez

Very fun hard hitting fight, with lots of ebbs and flows and momentum shifts.

Kelley starts out boxing well, while Gonzalez is throwing with some bad intentions. Rds 1-3 are back and forth with one guy having success and then the other guy comes back rinse and repeat.

In the 3rd Kelley’s corner (actually both corners give the same instruction) tells him to start aiming for the chest rather than boxing like he had....after 3 cornerman Borgia yells at Kelley for not jabbing to the head lol. **** poor corner job all night an the cut man never does anything (ice?) for Kelley’s eye which swells continuously prompting foreman to say they look very inexperienced in the corner.

4-7 Gonzalez assumes control landing over 50% and throwing over 100 a round. Kelley digs deep but is getting outworked and outhit. In 6 he goes down, and his eye is swollen, perhaps a broken orbital bone on top of it?

In 7 Kelley comes back, but I still scored Gonzalez although Lederman and Merchant both score for Kelley.

8-9 Kelley assumes control and after getting outhit for the first minute of 8 unleashes his own assault and drops Gonzalez with a left hook on the button.

10 good round both guys tired and punches have less on them...Gonzalez begins teeing off, Kelley’s eye looks shut completely. The last minute led 1 judge to score it 10-8 and while I did not, I can see the reasoning.

Kelley goes to his corner after the beat down and tells them he can’t see, they say the fight is over and the ref waves it off between 10-11

TKO for Gonzalez
    1 Kelley
    2 Gonzalez
    3 Kelley
    4 Gonzalez
    5 Gonzalez
    6 Gonzalez 10-8
    7 Gonzalez
    8 Kelley 10-8
    9 Kelley
    10 Gonzalez

Gonzalez up 95-93 on my card.

11. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Robert Quiroga vs Kid Akeem Anifowoshe

What an epic fight....what a tragic ending!

Just got done watching it for the 3rd time but first time scoring it. One of the all time great fights followed by one of the all time tragic endings. Both guys deserved to win if that is possible, and even though I didn’t have a draw I think it would be a fitting ending.

I thought Quiroga edged it and landed better for 2/3 of the fight. I had kid winning 3 of the final 4, but coming up just short.

Do you have a scorecard?

RBR
    1 Quiroga
    2 Quiroga
    3 Anifowoshe
    4 Quiroga
    5 Quiroga
    6 Anifowoshe
    7 Quiroga
    8 Quiroga
    9 Anifowoshe
    10 Quiroga
    11 Anifowoshe
    12 Anifowoshe
    Quiroga 115-113

I though Quiroga won 5/10 pretty good
    Anifowoshe 9/12 pretty good

The other 8 I can see pretty much anyway, and you could score everyone opposite of me with no complaint. They are that hard to score.

116-112 for either guy is defendable in my opinion

12. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Merqui Sosa vs Prince Charles Williams

I watched this because I had not heard of a fight being scored a draw because both guys were deemed unfit to continue by the Dr. And ref.

I don’t spend much time watching fights at 175 and above because I prefer the speed and skills of the lighter guys. This was a very good 175 war, but little defense and skill and barely a jab to make note of. If you enjoy a brutal war with 2 guys planted in each other’s chests this is a fight you should watch.

Punch rate is high, although by rd 6 there is little pop behind the punches as both guys are arm weary. You could put them in a phone booth rather than a ring and get the same type of result. Little movement or skill just leaning clinching and punching...a decent enough war if that is what you are in the mood for.

Rounds 1-3 are very close and I could see 3-0 for either guy, rounds 4-7 are largely Sosa. But plenty of slugging and back and forth. Mostly 1 guy leaning on the other and wailing away, till the other guy shifts and then the same thing the opposite way. But by 4 Sosa is winning those exchanges.

I think you could score this 1
    70-63 Sosa or 67-66 Sosa or anything in between. The judges all gave Williams 1 rd I gave him 2, but 1-3 can go a number of ways.

RBR
    1 Williams
    2 Sosa
    3 Williams
    4 Sosa
    5 Sosa
    6 Sosa
    7 Sosa
    Sosa up 68-65 on my card.
    I judge had a 10-8 rd that I don’t see but oh well.

I actually thought in rd 4 Williams hit Sosa who fell into the rope sitting on rope 2 that could have been ruled a KD but was not.

A draw was ruled when the Dr. Told the ref neither guy was fit to continue. Disappointing end to a semi decent LHW battle.

Not fought at a high enough skill level for me to rewatch in the future, but a decent 30 minute slugfest if that is what you are in the mood for.

13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Sung Kil Moon vs Torsak Pongsupa

A very fun short slugfest. Moon is a relentless stalker puncher, a little wide open defensively, with a top notch chin and durability.

Pongsupa starts out boxing well when the pressure and punching of Moon drops him in rd 1. Pongsupa shows some decent boxing skills, but gets caught cleanly a little to often. He has decent movement but is not strong enough to deter Moon, he backs Moon up with a strong jab to the solar plexus, but Moon is right back on him.

In the 3rd Pongsupa takes a close round but it was his moments boxing that allowed him to do so. But Moon is notvgiving him any space and Pongsupas jab is not really strong enough.

Moon back on him in 4 giving Pongsupa no room to maneuver or operate like he needs to.

In 5 ultra close, Pongsupa abandons any pretense of boxing and tries valiantly to slug away with with moon. He holds his own in terms of landing and scoring, but moons durability has him seeming fresh while the war is taking its toll on Pongsupa.

In 6 back to trench warfare, an uppercut from moon drops Pongsupa who looks wobbly. The ref lets it continue but stops it after the next sequence by moon.

Moon TKO 6

Moon is a high volume puncher with great punch variety although I can’t tell much about his jab, as he looked to get inside as quick as possible. Solid power, and rips the body good (round 4 body work is excellent). More of a stalker puncher than outright swarmer in his pressure fighting style. Solid chin and great durability.

On the flip side he does not look to outbox Pongsupa, and is wide open defensively taking many more shots than he needed to relying on chin rather than blocking or slipping punches for the sake of more offense and pressure.

I would guess a boxer with good movement a decent jab and respectable power would trouble Moon at least in regards to this fight. But Moon seems comfortable going forward or against the ropes and the pressure of Pongsupa didn’t seem to faze him at all.

Pongsupa showed decent skill but lacked the pop in his punch to give him room to operate. He gave a good account of himself but moons relentless pressure and punching wore him down.

Moon 1-2-4
    Pongsupa 3-5

Rounds 3-5 could be scored a variety of ways with the judges scoring 0-1-2 rounds for Pongsupa. But by the 6th it wouldn’t matter.

14. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Sung Kil Moon Vs Oky Petrus

One sided best down. Not much to say or analyze. Moon starts out boxing feeling his way in, drops Petrus in the first, and is an all out assault after that. Petrus is game but his punches have little to no effect even when he is able to land, which is not often. Moon again makes no pretense to jab and basically swarms inside the second he can feint his way in. You could score 3 10-8 with no knockdown although I did not.

In the 4th the assault of moon drops Petrus again, the action continues and Petrus turns to the corner covering up as the ref waves it off

1-3 moon with 1 a 10-8 rd
    Moon TKO 4

15. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Sung Kil Moon vs Chiaki Kobayashi

A game Kobayashi tries to go toe to toe with Moon, and while he tries valiantly to swing with him he quickly fades and folds under the brutal assault of Moon. Nothing skilled or fancy about Moon just nonstop relentless pressure.

TKO 5
    My score like 2 of the judges is 40-36 Moon. I am not sure how the 3rd judge found a round for Kobayashi but he did. 3-4 could be scored 10-8 with no problem even though I didnt

roughdiamond likes this.