the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I've always wanted to see the title bout between Ronnie Shields and Tsuyoshi Hamada. I recall when this took place and saying, 'OK, Shields will win the title this time.' It was one of those sure things that blew me away when I heard the results. Anyways, I found it on youtube and here is how I scored it.

Round 1: 10-9 Shields
    Round 2: 10-9 Shields
    Round 3: 10-9 Hamada
    Round 4: 10-8 Shields (point deducted from Hamada for low blows)
    Round 5: 10-9 Hamada
    Round 6: 10-9 Shields
    Round 7: 10-9 Shields
    Round 8: 10-9 Shields
    Round 9: 10-8 Hamada (point deducted from Shields for pulling the head down)
    Round 10: 10-9 Hamada
    Round 11: 10-9 Shields
    Round 12: 10-9 Shields

Total: 117-113 Shields

Actual scores were 116-111 and 111-108 both for Hamada and 115-113 for Shields.

Shields was a hard-luck fighter who often would slip into a lull and needed a fire under his stool to get going. But in this fight I think he was hard done by. He boxed well enough and kept a lead right going that the awkward Japanese couldn't avoid. And when he wanted to he matched him strength for strength. Hamada made very awkward lunges that he found some success and made life difficult for Shields at several points. But the crowd, who cheered everything Hamada threw, even when it didn't land won the fight for him. That and the two Asian judges. Difficult to know for sure how the verdict was received. The crowd cheered, but then started tossing in seat cushions into the ring. Something like that would be accompanied by boos so I don't know if that is a different custom there. Anyways, I feel Ronnie Shields was robbed. Would love to hear others POV on this fight.

roughdiamond likes this.
  2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I'll add it to my list. Good write up.

scartissue likes this.
  3. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    You know, I should add in regards to the Hamada-Shields fight that I cannot come up with any mathematical computation on how James Jen Kin came up with a score of 111-108.

Boxing Prospect likes this.
  4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Masao Oba UD15 Betulio Gonzalez

Gonzalez sometimes looks a bit sleepy, but Oba's active jab has him awake and involved from the first. It's an excellent opener pitting Gonzalez's punch-picking and defence versus Oba's activity and aggression. Score it any way you like: I gave it to Gonzalez for his work with the right hand in the final forty seconds. This is fascinating. Both men are building their fight plan around their lefts but it is the right hands that score more meaningfully. The second is the first in reverse, but less close.

After 5 I have it 3-2 Oba but the Japanese is pouncing for his punches, i'm not sure it's tenable as a long term strategy, especially as Gonzalez is so well poised and is so active on his feet. That, on the other hand, may cost him in the later rounds. It's absolutely poised as a contest. Oba is showing just a bit more variety and that's what has him ahead for me.

After 7, I have Oba running away with it a bit, but of the three close rounds i've given two to Oba (4, 6) and only one to Gonzalez (1). Still, he's aggressive, trebling the jab, more sometimes, and he's had marginally more success with teh right hand for all that the very best punches have probably been landed by Gonzalez. This is interesting because this fight is considered quite controversial; I wonder does Betulio stage a major rally at some point? Could start with the eighth; Oba dominates but then Gonzalez pins him to teh roeps and lands a booming right hand. This, too, is interesting, because Gonzalez has actually been struggling a bit this round, over-pressurising, using straight lines suddenly, missing with the shorter right. Fascinating, absorbing contest (but really, not the boring kind).

Gonzalez is consistently winning the final forty seconds of every round which indicates that Oba is tiring. That said, it's not always enough to bring Gonzalez the round. He's getting out-worked early and then delivering a slight edge in quality late, while also marrying it to volume. Gonzalez needs early successes if he's going to close the two point gap. He achieves this in the eleventh and in doing so wins two rounds in a row for the first time. Twelfth is a huge, huge round and Gonzalez charges out of his corner to underline this but is perhaps over-eager - I scored the round for Oba who is now well situated. War, simmering for the entire second half of the fight, breaks out in earnest in the 13tth and Oba gets the better of those exchanges. No more lateral movement from Gonzalez now, he can't afford such niceties and is boring in. Oba is tiring. Gonzalez wins the thirteenth on aggression and workrate so I have it seven-six Oba with two remaining. Gonzalez looks in better nick but needs both rounds to win this fight.

14tht is a classic, a thriller, it goes back and forth and back and forth and would have had a different winner depending on where you stop it in incraments of almost ten seconds. It's berserk. Scoring it either way is fine - Gonzalez came on strong in the final 30 though and Oba wanted the bell. So I'm giving it to the Mexican.

This makes it a shootout for the win.

Another very good round - Gonzalez just about out-fought Oba, once more in the dying seconds. A borderline great fight, starting at a very high level based upon principles of footwork and balance, ending in a full-blown war. Anyone getting to the bottom of this post shold watch it.

Gonzalez clearly thought he'd won. Judges scorecards favoured Oba by one or two points. Boxrec quotes UPI:

"WBA flyweight champion Masao Ohba pounded out a close but unanimous 15 round decision over Venezuelan Betulio Gonzalez to retain the crown in his first defense. Referee Yusaku Yoshida scored it 72-70 and both judges Hiroshi Ugo and Takeo Tezaki scored it 71-70 in favor of the defending champion. But Gonzalez said after the fight he thought he had won the fight and the 7,000 boxing fans who packed the auditorium apparently thought the same because they booed the decision."

This is inaccurate. One or two people (quite possibly associated with Gonzalez) could be heard booing the decision, but mostly there was cheering and applause. A very strong finish from Betulio may have made it seem otherwise, but this was a desperately close fight.

So, 8-7 Gonzalez but I gave the Mexican no fewer than five close rounds.

Oba:2,4,5,6,7,9,12,
    Gonzalez:1,3,8,10,11,13,14,15

Very happy to recommend this one.

This content is protected

PhillyPhan69 and scartissue like this.
  5. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    McGrain, that is a terrific breakdown on this fight. Well done. I scored this a few months back and I too had it very close. We are at odds with several rounds but I think this was the nature of this fight. Every round was close. Here is my card below and what I wrote.

Gonzalez-Ohba. 5 point must system in effect.

Round 1: 5-4 Ohba
    Round 2: 5-4 Ohba
    Round 3: 5-4 Gonzalez
    Round 4: 5-4 Ohba
    Round 5: 5-4 Ohba
    Round 6: 5-4 Ohba
    Round 7: 5-4 Gonzalez
    Round 8: 5-4 Gonzalez
    Round 9: 5-5 Even
    Round 10: 5-4 Ohba
    Round 11: 5-4 Gonzalez
    Round 12: 5-4 Gonzalez
    Round 13: 5-4 Ohba
    Round 14: 5-5 Even
    Round 15: 5-4 Gonzalez

Total: 69-68 Ohba

I was so impressed with Gonzalez. So sharp and so economical with his shots. I can see why he had something like 45 KOs to his credit. He didn't really solve the height and reach issue that Ohba presented until the 7th. After that he was playing catch-up and came up just shy in the scoring. What's noticeable is the complete lack of bodywork. They were head-hunting from start to finish. A really good fight and Gonzalez looked like he could have easily done another 5 rounds while Ohba was dragging that last round.

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Toney vs Jirov

1. Toney 10-9 (Toney 10-9)
    2. Even 19-19 (Jirov 10-9)
    3. Toney 29-28 (Toney 10-9)
    4. Even 38-38 (Jirov 10-9)
    5. Jirov 48-47 (Jirov 10-9)
    6. Jirov 58-56 (Jirov 10-9)
    7. Jirov 67-66 (Toney 10-9)
    8. Jirov 76-75 (Even 9-9)
    9. Jirov 86-84 (Jirov 10-9)
    10. Jirov 95-94 (Toney 10-9)
    11. Jirov 105-103 (Jirov 10-9)
    12. Even 113-113 (Toney 10-8)

Would love to have seen a rematch. I don't like Jirov but the look of disappointment in his face after the decision was announced made me appreciate how much he wanted it.

7. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Kind of shows how little body punching is rewarded compared to the headshots.

8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Toney vs Mike McCallum

1. McCallum 10-9 (McCallum 10-9)
    2. Even 19-19 (Toney 10-9)*
    3. McCallum 29-28 (McCallum 10-9)
    4. McCallum 39-38 (Even 10-10)
    5. McCallum 49-47 (McCallum 10-9)
    6. McCallum 58-57 (Toney 10-9)
    7. McCallum 68-66 (McCallum 10-9)
    8. McCallum 77-76 (Toney 10-9)
    9. McCallum 87-85 (McCallum 10-9)
    10. McCallum 96-95 (Toney 10-9)
    11. Even 105-105 (Toney 10-9)
    12. Toney 115-114 (Toney 10-9)*

*I can see 2 10-8 rounds here, should you give Toney the "slip in the second" and the 12th round was a brutal beatdown, can definitely see a 10-8, just wouldn't give it myself

9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
  10. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Toney vs Michael Nunn

1. Toney 10-9 (Toney 10-9)
    2. Even 19-19 (Nunn 10-9)
    3. Nunn 29-28 (Nunn 10-9)
    4. Even 38-38 (Toney 10-9)
    5. Nunn 48-47 (Nunn 10-9)
    6. Nunn 58-56 (Nunn 10-9)
    7. Nunn 68-65 (Nunn 10-9)
    8. Nunn 77-75 (Toney 10-9)
    9. Nunn 86-85 (Toney 10-9)
    10. Nunn 96-94 (Nunn 10-9)
    11. Even 104-104 (Toney 10-8) TOS

11. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Defensive genius, good power, solid chin. Complete package fighter. He's proof that if you can beat larger men if you're better than them at boxing

He's somewhere 100-80 on my top 100p4p list. Personally I was never a fan of his but his accomplishments are undeniable. Beating Holyfield was his best moment

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    George, I scored this recently and we're not far off, although I only scored the completed rounds, but we're right there.

Michael Nunn vs. James Toney

Round 1: 10-9 Toney
    Round 2: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 5: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 6: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 7: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-9 Toney
    Round 10: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 11: TKO for Toney

Total: 98-94 Nunn through 10 completed rounds. You have to zone out on Dan Goosen commentating at ringside a bit because I believe he had parted ways with Nunn by this time and more times than not when Toney landed he stated that Nunn was hurt. I do think he was very shaky at the end of the 10th though, despite the fact that I gave Nunn the round. I thought he had done so much work earlier in the round that I couldn't forget it. I think the worst thing that happened to Nunn was KOing Kalambay in the first round. He seemed to think he was a slugger. Dundee tried everything to get him moving but he stayed in close too much. Interesting fight.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Kid Gavilan v Carmen Basilio - 1953 World Welterweight Championship

Top notch fight featuring two all-time greats at this weight, reigning champ Gavilan against future champ Basilio in a fight that was tighter than a gnat's ass.

I decided not to score it because I just wanted to enjoy it but regretted that as the fight went on as it was obviously very close so would have been good to have a tally to view at the end.

Basilio seemed confident at the end that he'd got it and he seemed to land the more significant punches in the fight, not least the ones that dropped Gavilan early in the fight. But as it wore on, Gavilan kept the more steady punch output using his jab to keep the fight at distance, which suited him better. Basilio was looking for opportunities to counter but stopped using his jab as much so Gavilan probably edged rounds based on that.

When they got in close, the fight exploded for those brief moments but it never broke out into a full-on war. The fact that those moments became fewer as the fight wore on was a sign that Gavilan was probably edging things his way.

The fight took place in Syracuse, NY so obviously it was an unpopular decision but a split decision seemed like an inevitable outcome. Still, Basilio could certainly consider himself unlucky. He landed the bigger punches and scored the only knockdown and the rounds were close enough most of the time that they could have gone either way.

scartissue and roughdiamond like this.
  14. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Bowe vs Gonzalez.
    Every round: Big Daddy
    Had a rough night b4 going to work and wanted to see a bludgeoning to easy my anger.

15. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Kid Gavilan - Carmen Basilio

Jel, I scored this about a year ago. This is what I wrote:

I'm scoring this on the NY rules used at the time which was a rounds basis and no extra point for the knockdown in the 2nd round.

Round 1: Gavilan
    Round 2: Basilio (Basilio scores a knockdown)
    Round 3: Even
    Round 4: Basilio
    Round 5: Even
    Round 6: Basilio
    Round 7: Basilio
    Round 8: Gavilan
    Round 9: Even
    Round 10: Gavilan
    Round 11: Gavilan
    Round 12: Basilio
    Round 13: Even
    Round 14: Gavilan
    Round 15: Gavilan

Total: 6-5-4 Gavilan

This was a decent fight but nothing scintillating about it. Very, very close. Man, 4 even rounds was a lot but I don't like that flip of a coin style of judging. That really penalizes one fighter and this was a very tight fight.

roughdiamond and Jel like this.