the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Remember when they asked him in the post-fight interview, why he stopped using the jab? He said, "Well, it wasn't the night for a jab." I just sat there looking at the TV saying, 'what the hell does that mean?'

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    This content is protected

Sat down and watched the Dick Tiger v Henry Hank fight today out of MSG. Terrific fight. No point in tabulating scoring here because I had it 9-0-1 for Tiger, giving only the 8th round even. One might also dispute the 4th round which was very close but I still felt Tiger did enough. Official scores were 8-1-1, 9-0-1 and 10-0. But don't look at the scores and figure it was one-sided, because every round was close. Hank came along in a very competitive and rough era. Today, I would see him with multiple titles. Anyways, enjoy if you can open the link. I would also point out checking out at 40:48 of this link. It was the 10th round and these two exchanged left hooks that made me yell, "Whoooooa!"

McGrain and roughdiamond like this.
  3. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Anyone want to rehash this controversial bout?

4. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Manuel Ortiz vs Luis Castillo III

I finished my viewing of most of Olivares career, so have decided to watch whatever is around of ATG Manuel Ortiz for my 'classic' boxing watch list.

This was a terrific inside battle against the shorter Castillo. Ortiz was a very crafty and experienced fighter in there, and Castillo was also very nifty in his efforts. Ortiz seemed to forfeit his height and reach advantage, and elected to inside fight, which ultimately wore Castillo down. This was their third meeting, so began cagey but quickly got into the swing of things. Round 3 both guys exchange hell for leather! Didn't bother to score as the footage is edited / incomplete. Love the brutal right hand uppercuts Ortiz employed, that Duran would also make his own a few decades later. In-fact, several techniques are reminiscent of Duran. Awesome study of inside fighting.

5. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Can you think of anyone that would have out-brawled Tiger 154/160?

6. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Lausse?

7. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Chan Hee Park vs Shogi Oguma 1

KO9

Such classy boxing yet so rough! Both men experienced, awkward stylists, Oguma in the southpaw stance. Park defending the title he won from Canto.

Park upper body movement was sharp at first, but offensively he could not deal with the experienced Oguma's movement and right hook and shovel hook. The subtle, thudding bodyshots from Oguma proved the key difference to set up the later beat down on the supposedly ill trained Park. I had Oguma up comfortably 6 - 2 before the KO in the ninth. Some beautiful boxing and brutal rough housing from Oguma.

Also, these commentators are hilarious. 'Praying Mantis Style' 'hit him with the piledriver' 'prefer to look at the ring girls' lol.

scartissue likes this.
  8. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Tae Shik Kim vs Luis Ibarra

KO2

Pure destruction, plain and simple.

9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Fernando Vargas v Ike Quartey

Round 1: 10-9 Vargas
    Round 2: 10-9 Vargas
    Round 3: 10-9 Ike
    Round 4: 9-9 Even (Scored the round for Vargas but he had a point deduction for a low blow)
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Vargas
    Round 7: 10-9 Vargas
    Round 8: 10-9 Vargas
    Round 9: 10-9 Ike
    Round 10: 10-9 Ike
    Round 11: 10-9 Vargas
    Round 12: 10-9 Vargas

Total: 116-112 Vargas

Good scrap and Vargas never fought better in his life. Fast combos for 12 rounds kept Ike in check. Actual scores were 116-111 (twice) and 114-113 all for Vargas.

roughdiamond likes this.
  10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    So I decide to check out Palomino-Benitez which I haven't seen since '79? I think. Anyways, time can be rough, because it was a lot closer than I remembered. Also, I seem to have always remembered Benitez performing a boxing clinic off the ropes, but he actually only did it at the end of the 14th and maybe a bit in the 15th. Damn!!! Anyways, enough about my memory, here we go.

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Benitez
    Round 4: 10-9 Palomino
    Round 5: 10-9 Palomino
    Round 6: 10-9 Benitez
    Round 7: 10-9 Benitez
    Round 8: 10-9 Benitez
    Round 9: 10-9 Benitez
    Round 10: 10-9 Palomino
    Round 11: 10-9 Benitez
    Round 12: 10-10 Even
    Round 13: 10-9 Palomino
    Round 14: 10-9 Benitez
    Round 15: 10-9 Benitez

Total 146-142 Benitez

Not a great fight but damn good fight between two fighters that are vastly underrated as the years tick by.

11. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    DeJesus 1

1. DeJesus 10-8
    2. DeJesus 19-18 (Duran 10-9)
    3. DeJesus 29-27 (DeJesus 10-9)
    4. DeJesus 38-37 (Duran 10-9)
    5. DeJesus 48-46 (DeJesus 10-9)
    6. DeJesus 57-56 (Duran 10-9)
    7. DeJesus 67-65 (DeJesus 10-9)
    8. DeJesus 76-75 (Duran 10-9)
    9. DeJesus 86-84 (DeJesus 10-9)
    10. DeJesus 95-94 (Duran 10-9)

DeJesus 2

1. DeJesus 10-8
    2. DeJesus 19-18 (Duran 10-9)
    3. Even 28-28 (Duran 10-9)
    4. Duran 38-37 (Duran 10-9) CLOSE
    5. Even 47-47 (DeJesus 10-9)
    6. DeJesus 57-56 (DeJesus 10-9) CLOSE
    7. Even 66-66 (Duran 10-9)
    8. Duran 76-74 (Duran 10-9)
    9. Duran 86-83 (Duran 10-9)
    10. Duran 96-92 (Duran 10-9)
    11. TOS

roughdiamond likes this.
  12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I must be binging on Ike Quartey lately. I don't know how I missed this match back in the day but here is the controversial bout between Ike Quartey and Vernon Forrest.

Round 1: 10-9 Forrest
    Round 2: 10-9 Ike
    Round 3: 10-9 Ike
    Round 4: 10-9 Forrest
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Ike
    Round 7: 10-9 Forrest
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-9 Ike (I had this round even but a point deduction from Forrest's score for a low blow)
    Round 10: 10-9 Ike

Total: 97-95 Ike Quartey

Actual scores were 95-94 (twice) and 96-93 all for Forrest. Ike should have and did feel hard-done-by from this decision. Although a decent enough fight from two veterans of the game, Ike forced the fight with heavy hands and Vernon just couldn't keep up the speedy combos that were needed to offset Ike. Harold Lederman scored it 97-92 for Ike.

roughdiamond likes this.
  13. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Watched quite a lot of bouts recently. Not gonna do a long post for every one though.

Pirog vs Jacobs

10 - 9 Pirog
    10 - 9 Pirog
    10 - 9 Pirog
    9 - 10 Jacobs
    Pirog KO

I disagreed with Lederman on the 4th round.
    Even though I had Pirog losing the 4th, you could see him setting up that shifting right hand movement that lead to the KO. Pirog's movement, and that KO, was beautiful. Gonna watch more of him.
    This bout has made me distrust Compubox (not that they were trustworthy in the first place).

14. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Tony Canzoneri vs Lou Ambers 1

I refrained from scoring as there are missing rounds. Also interesting how the projector can play some rounds at normal speed, but fast forwards others, though it wasn't a problem. The quality was very good. I enjoyed Jacobs commentary on this one. He seemed very impressed with both, especially in comparison to fighters like Corbett from earlier.

Two legends in the ring. I am not well versed on Ambers, but it seems he tries to emulate his idol(?) Canzoneri too much in this bout, though he has picked up some of his shifty tricks, and his rhythmic foot movement is awesome to behold. Both employ ridiculous fight IQ. Ambers did better the longer the fight went on. He had success with lead rights.

Canzoneri was an absolute master at subtle positioning to gain the advantage. Perhaps the master. The slight pivoting, shoulder feints and decievingly open guard truly confuses even a great like Ambers, though he held his own, and allows for those cat like counters. He always stood in front on Ambers because of this, regardless of how Ambers shuffled around. The positioning of tha overhand knockdown was truly terrific. The deliberate squaring to smash the overhand in at a direct angle was genius. Of course, Ambers was a genius too, but he could not compare with Tony in the end. Canzoneri was truly one of a kind in regards to boxing development. He was like a Bebop deviation to the classical, fundamental boxing style 'evolution'. I think he'd confuse today's fighters even more than in the previous era. I also appreciate his parrying ability, which he showcases very well with the right hand against Ambers left. Very subtle. If there's one punch Tony was open too though, it was the left hook. Ambers seemed to catch him with it several times, and I also saw Ross catch him with it. McClarnin too. Not many fighters in any era could pull of headmovement and feints like these guys.

Canzoneri (and Ambers) are proof that a hands down, classical style is not ineffective, outdated or disfunctional in comparison to modern fighters. Of course, it must be performed correctly, and positioning, IQ and intent are paramount. Very no risk, no reward. Very great results, or not so great at all!

This bout will definitely be getting several re-watches to see all the tricks and positioning battles clearly.

McGrain and scartissue like this.
  15. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Wilford Scypion vs Frank the Animal Fletcher

This is a very fun forgotten slugfest. Scypion tries to establish range early while Fletcher looks to close it, making for some fun back and forth early on. By midway wilford is doing as good or better inside, but Frank does not budge. Scypion seems to have a slight lead after 7 but frank digs deep and hammers away making this a great little slugfest. Franks eye is swelling bad by 10 and bleeding. By the 11th the eye is hindering him and frank is moving backward voluntarily a sight we seldom see. The 12th is again a war but franks vision and fatigue makes his punches tentative a lacking in power when they land.

Very fun fight, highly recommended

Official scores (6-5-1/7-4-1/8-3-1 all for Scypion)

I had Scypion 8-4 with Fletcher winning 2/3 & 8/9, very fun fight if you have not seen it.