the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Carlos Monzon vs Bad Bennie Briscoe II

Oddly enough I would call this a semi-competitive one sided masterpiece if there is such a thing? I felt like Monzon dominated 4 rounds and Bennie hurt Carlos in 9 and won that clear (1 judge disagreed) in my mind. With 5 rounds I felt Carlos won without dominating, and 5 that could be even or narrow for Monzon. This can be seen in the judges cards
    1 scored 7-1-7 Monzon
    2 scored 11-1-3 Monzon
    3 Scored 11-0-4 Monzon
    And while this is a clear Monzon win and a brilliant performance I wouldn’t call it a beatdown or anything on that line.

Bennie forces the action all night, and Carlos shows his masterful jab, and ability to control pace and space. Carlos has brilliant balance and footwork (not speed/movement) and is seldom out of position. Every time the action of Bennie forces him to the ropes he deftly counters and slips and turns Briscoe who has to reset and start all over.

Very fun fight, not a brawl but plenty of action and high level skill. Bennie has moments, is clearly the aggressor, lands some big shots....but can’t string them together in combination very often. Carlos uses the jab, counters when Bennie gets into range, and when Bennie is outside Carlos really turns up the heat with combos and uppercuts. Worth a watch if you have not seen it.

I gave Briscoe 9
    Even round 7
    1-6, 8, 10-15 Monzon
    With 1-8-10-14-15 very close difficult to score rounds, even though I felt Monzon edged all of them.

roughdiamond likes this.
  2. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    people forget what a solid prospect Scypion was at one time. Then he signed the contract for a prime Hagler. and that was way too big of a hill to climb. But wilfred just came along at the wrong time.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  3. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Sirimongkol Singwancha vs Joichiro Tatsuyoshi

This is a very fun fight, check it out of you have not seen it.

I am not an expert on either guy and need to watch more of both before I can truly appreciate the subtle war that takes place.

Joichiro looks much quicker and more skilled during the first 2 rounds, darting in and out, working combos and to the body very well, while Sincwancha seems to start slow works a solid jab but seems bothered by the speed of Joichiro and does not or cannot string punches together and does little to follow up on the jab. Joichiro seems to have neglected his defense or is more limited than it appears. He gets hit more than he should, but that may be based on lack of respect or some kind of plan.

Late 2nd Joichiro seems to get into showboat mode, lowering his arms and taunting by sticking his chin out. Oddly enough he gets hit less this way than out of his traditional stance. Similar in the 3rd but singwancha lands and connects well, taking the showboat out of Joichiro temporarily.

By the 4th it is back and forth for 2 minutes before Joichiro connects with some solid body work, he is getting good leverage and torque on these shots. Without about 20 seconds left in 4, singwancha is hurt bad and shows grit in lasting the round. In 5 Joichiro is again applying the pressure and Singwancha fights back but is getting the worst of it. Joichiro is delivering multiple hellacious body shots that are not only adding up but hurting singwancha badly. Singwancha goes down with a minute left in 5 and I don’t know how he survives, but survive he does.

The war continues in 6 with Joichiro again landing more and better, singwancha is still throwing but has little snap and power on anything...Joichiro is about to end this...BUT....singwancha finds a reserve of energy over the final minute of 6, and stuns Joichiro. Now they are just slugging away, both guys look hurt and ready to fall as the bell rings ending the 6th.

7th is back to it, but Joichiro lands another brutal body shot and singwancha goes down. Valiantly he gets back up but he has nothing left to fight back with...Joichiro all our assault driving him helplessly to the ropes, where the fight gets mercifully stopped.

Great fun exciting fight and rounds 3-7 are super fun!!!!

I had Joichiro up 5-1 with the 5th being a 10-8 rd. I gave singwancha the 3rd and a case could be made for the 6th but I felt Joichiro did enough during the first 120 to take this round.

Check this one out

4. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    One of my favourites not just for the action, but for the story behind it. This was a major redemption bout for Joe, who was considered damaged goods, with a detached retina, and urged to retire. The man had extreme spirit.

Check out Intentional butt's post on the bout in his DeJa Vu War Zone posts.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  5. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Alan Minter vs Mustafa Hamsho

I do enjoy a good southpaw vs southpaw battle! This is a very fun fight, and as a Minter fan my memory said he had won...not so upon this revisit. Best case scenario I can find is a draw if I was generous. Not sure how Roth had it 96-94 Minter?

Rounds 1-3 are very close and could be scored in a variety of ways IMO. Minter works the jab and lands some precision combos causing Hamsho a cut and swelling over the right eye. Hamsho bulrushes and lands the bigger punches, but both guys are working well. In the 4th Hamsho turns it up and cuts minters ear, and takes another close but clear round. In the 5th Minter hurts Hamsho and has a great round, Hamsho still manages a few heavy blows but just not enough. The 6th slows down, and Hamsho takes another close round. 7 is good, but Minter is working his jab and accurate in his combos to offset the more aggressive Hamsho! In the 8th Hamsho cuts Minter, and whether fatigue or the cut or both minter backpedals and gets severely outboxed in 8-10 sealing the fight for Hamsho.

Not a classic great fight but a decent one to rewatch or watch if you have not seen it.

1 Minter
    2-4 Hamsho
    5 Minter
    6 Hamsho
    7 Minter
    8-10 Hamsho

97-93 Hamsho

roughdiamond likes this.
  6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Philly, it wasn't that long ago I scored this, so it's still valid.

Round 1: 10-9 Hamsho
    Round 2: 10-9 Minter
    Round 3: 10-9 Hamsho
    Round 4: 10-9 Hamsho
    Round 5: 10-9 Minter
    Round 6: 10-9 Minter
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Minter
    Round 9: 10-9 Hamsho
    Round 10: 10-9 Hamsho

96-95 Hamsho

I remember the 5th round when I saw it again. Man, I never saw Hamsho hurt, ever, so it was amazing that Minter - who was never noted as that kind of a banger - had him on uneasy street. I find it amazing that you and I differed on a number of rounds and usually you and I are pretty close. Mark it down as a damn close fight with some tight rounds.

roughdiamond and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  7. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Can't sleep because of an illness, so watching some more boxing.

Patterson vs Moore

No need to score this one. I quite enjoyed Marciano's commentary.

The ageless folk hero Archie Moore is a bit too slow on the uptake against the young speedy Patterson. There was sharpness, but he always looked one step behind. Patterson had a beautiful boxing style, with such crisp speed and masterful peek-a-boo technique. His jab is quite underrated I feel, and he employed it effectively here to stifle Moore, and set up the terrific leaping left hook. I much prefer Patterson's style to Tyson's, to be frank.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  8. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Antonio Gomez vs Shoji Saizo

Great 2 round action, even if pretty one sided. Looking into gomez in depth at the reccomendation of @Tin_Ribs.

These post round highlights with Japanese City pop are oddly hilarious lol. They even put it on the KO.

Anyway, I was very impressed with Gomez's ability in this one. His style was like an odd mix of Napoles and Lamotta IMO. He obviously emulated the forward baiting movement of Napoles (which he very much exaggerates) followed by a strong jab, and it seems to work a charm on the longer Saizo, who seems like a very skilled boxer but very stupid in application. The only success he had was a fierce response to the Gomez's own onslaught in the first, where Gomez was momentarily wobbled. A terrific left hook sent Saizo down in the first stanza.

I feel it wouldn't have mattered whether Saizo boxed short or long (where he looked impressive). Gomez wouldn't be denied here.

Gomez 10 - 8
    Gomez KO

This content is protected

George Crowcroft and Tin_Ribs like this.
  9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I heard Gomez' win over Dwight Hawkins was a total barn-burner. Hawkins was a killer body-puncher and I'll bet this one was something, but unfortunately no footage that I'm aware of.

roughdiamond likes this.
  10. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Mike McCallum vs Julian Jackson

The stare down is intense and seems prolonged....the action out of the gate is fast but just short of furious. Both guys winging away, no real feeling out process as is to be expected. All 3 judges score for JJ, and I disagree. I found it a close round perhaps debatable? But felt mike edged it and did a better job slipping punches and getting underneath to the body.

Round 2 the same back and forth for a minute, with neither guy giving ground. McCallum drops Jackson on a chest/rib shot (I think), Jackson springs right back up but it is clear he is hurt. He goes into a shell while mike hammers away. The fighters get separated and mike back on the offensive, Jackson not throwing back....but covered up, and while he seems in trouble he still seems to have his wits about him...the ref waves it off. Mike celebrates and Julian seems confused as to why it was stopped. I agree, a shame to end like this.

I don’t think Jackson would win, just seems a shame to end like this.

So if you only have 10 minutes but feel like watching a fight, check this one out

11. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Gerald McClellan vs Julian Jackson I

Both guys get talked about a lot in regards to their power, but the fight seldom gets mentioned in great slugfests and for me this qualifies with some heavy shots.

Round 1 Gerald is aggressive and lands some big shots, rocking Jackson early. Jackson does some good countering and body work along the way but not enough to offset the better work of Gerald.

2-3 Julian does much better here, and by 3 he is landing the bigger better shots working the body much better than I remember. Jackson seems to have taken control of the fight. Till about 30 seconds left an unintended headbutt cuts Julian on the bridge of the nose, costs McClellan a point deduction, but Julian seems dazed and passive after perhaps giving the round to Gerald 9-9 but I felt like Jackson still took it 10-8.

4 Gerald back in control, but Jackson still has his moments but does not seem the same since the butt.

5 close back and forth round with Gerald ahead by a slim margin..low blow from Jackson followed by another and Gerald goes down. Julian is warned and McClellan is given time to recover. Back in action and Gerald blitzes catching Jackson who goes down. He gets up but is out of it...goes down again and mills lane waves this off...

Fun fight ashame about the butt which I think played a large role as JJ was never really back in control after this.

12. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Julian Jackson vs Terry Norris

Jackson was a monster puncher in his final defense at 154. I was just about 20 y/o at this time and riding the Terry Norris bandwagon. I still think he had all the “potential” to be a great rather than a very good...

Norris outboxes Jackson using superior hand and foot speed and while he is controlling the action it does not appear he is control. Great boxing from Norris for about 4-5 minutes when Jackson catches him right on the button...Norris is out on his feet but gets hit twice more before he falls. I don’t know how he got up, and I am glad it was stopped...but man that is am
    Impressive punch from Jackson and impressive heart from Norris just to stand back up!

Good short short fight

13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Julian Jackson vs Herol Graham

I have always felt like Jackson’s skill was a little underwhelming and this again shows up...yet it does not seem to matter...this might be Julian’s worst boxing display followed by his best KO....although graham is very skilled and certainly had something to do with that.

I am not sure I have seen Jackson so disengaged not forcing the action at all but taking the role of boxer counterpuncher which does not suit him IMO and certainly not against someone as skilled as Graham.

Graham forces and controls the action the whole fight...in 3 Jackson moves forward a bit more but Herol counters great and Jackson reverts again letting Graham lead.

In the 4th Graham continues his brilliant display when out of nowhere Jackson lands and Herol is out in one of the ATG ko’s!

Not sure how 1 judge had it 30-26 there is no round that is even 10-8 worthy...Herol was sharp and against Jackson that still was not enough.

14. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Terrible Terry Norris vs Meldrick Taylor

I hate this fight and wished Meldrick had never moved up in weight to take this. His power was lackluster 2 divisions down and even his speed didn’t transfer up with him.

Meldrick starts fast getting a quick grasp on the range and is landing more and better than Norris who is slow to adapt to the range but he is nearly matching Meldrick in handspeed. By the final minute Norris settles in and now has the range, no respect for Taylor’s speed or power, and Meldrick can’t hold Norris off.

By 2-3 Norris is now landing more and at a higher clip, Meldrick is throwing more but landing few and what he has while game and courageous has nothing to deter Norris.

In the 4th Norris again in control hammering away. Meldricks corner pleading with him to clinch but he does not and down he goes and again finally waved off with 5 seconds left in 4 to mercifully save him from further harm.

15. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Philly, did you ever see Terry Norris against Donald Curry? This is one of my go-to classics if I just want to sit back and enjoy some bombs flying. Curry was past his sell-by date but still, I don't know how Terry handled some of Curry's bombs, or how Curry stayed there until 8 for that matter. But I think you'll love it.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.