the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Carlos Ortiz vs Kenny Lane II

Not sure there is a less discussed great than Carlos Ortiz, nor one as underrated H2H. He is brilliant to watch.

there is a very subtle battle of footwork and positioning going on that Ortiz engages in with the southpaw Layne. Disappointing end, however and not exactly sure what happened? Headbutt or punch causes a cut on Layne who is not allowed to continue. Layne comes on strong at the end of Rd. 2 after suffering a flash KD early in the round.

20-17 Ortiz by TKO 2

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That's horrible, the video I watched did mention that, I didn't realize it was only 3 weeks before fight.

salsanchezfan likes this.
  3. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Stanley Kitten Hayward vs Curtis Cokes

ahhhh, I never get tired of Philly beating Dallas (although I must say I legitimately like Cokes).

this is a real fun short fight from the Illustrious Blue Horizon. This was a good find, as I have really only seen post prime Hayward towards the end of his career so in this I felt like I got to watch what my Pop Pop described all those years ago.

Hayward looks huge compared to Cokes. Cokes starts slow while Hayward turns in on inside not giving Cokes room to operate that jab. Round 2 more of the same, Cokes settling in a little more but Hayward still in control. Till the final seconds and Cokes drops him.

round 3 Hayward looks slower to start and Cokes starts controlling the action with his jab and quick combinations. Hayward still working inside but Cokes is in control of the pace and space of the fight.

round 4 Hayward forcing the pace again, stuns Cokes...Hayward swarms and down goes Cokes. Hayward on him again with a barrage and maybe a push, Cokes is down again. Hayward pounding away trying to end this, Cokes showing heart and trying to stay up...down he goes again!

Kitten wins and Philly beats Dallas!

roughdiamond likes this.
  4. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Luis Manuel Rodriguez vs Yama Bahama II

disappointed by the ending, and the fact that this was over all to soon without a satisfying conclusion.

Bahama looks larger and stronger than Luis, but no matter. Luis foot and hand speed largely coasts a close/clear round. Bahama is slow and can’t land effectively at all. Luis smooth nice snap on his jab moving in and out of range seemlessly. Bahama flurries strong inside over the final 10 seconds...same story in 2/3 but Bahama has a nasty cut. Ref stops the fight on doctors order.

I don’t think this looked like it would turn Bahamas way even if it progressed. Just a disappointing end to a fight that hadn’t really taken off yet.

worth checking out if you got a few but Luis has better stuff out there to watch...so does Yama.

roughdiamond likes this.
  5. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Carlos Monzon vs Nino Benvenuti II

another disappointing fight ends my night. Carlos looks sharp and his jab may be the best ever. Nino looks more comfortable in round 2.
    Monzon KD’s Nino in 2 that looked like a foul...then again in round 3...Nino does not look hurt but his corner throws in the towel...and even after all these years I am still confused.

roughdiamond likes this.
  6. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Hiroyuki Ebihara vs Pone Kingpetch 1

Not much to say here. Ebihara viciously explodes and assaults the underrated Pone Kingpetch, and delivers him from his senses in the first round to win the Flyweight title. Pretty shocking considering what Pone could do. Ebihara lands a beautiful left hand, southpaw, after battling with positioning. This basically ended the bout.

This content is protected

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Rocky Graziano vs Chuck Davey

Quite possibly the most obvious fix I've seen on film. I started laughing as I watched. Wtf was Graziano doing, with those weak, wide noodle like punches? He never, ever forced the issue fully and looked quite passive here. Compare this to his loss to Robinson just a bout before, where he looked extremely powerful and game. And Chuck Davey was an extremely protected fighter, with a upright, almost preening rich boy style and little leverage in his shots. See for yourself. What a disgrace.

8. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Charlie Magri (W) vs Alfonso Lopez (L)

10 rounds.

Extended highlights unfortunately. Would love to see the full bout. So no scores.

A very good, underrated win for our Charlie. Lopez shows some of that great movement he is known for, but Charlie comes right out and rushes him with fast, educated, aggressive footwork and textbook power punching, along with a stringent high guard. Both men battle to establish their left ha ds early, with Magri looking slightly sharper and more game. Lopez looks a bit befuddled and lazy at the start, but works himself into the bout and uses Charlies highguard against him, smashing in some inverted uppercuts and left hooks to cause some damage. Some great exchanges throughout the majority of the footage, with each man showing skill in their respective styles. From what I've seen here, Magri deserved the win, and was absolutely world class at this point. Hope I can meet him soon.

9. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Kid Gavilan (W) vs Paddy Young (L)

Extended highlights (sigh) of this ten rounder.

Beautiful boxing here from the Keed against the solidly talented Young. Gavilan, who was outweighed by 10 pounds in this middleweight bout, showed everything boxing has to offer here. Brilliant footwork, deceptive, slick defense, spiteful fiery offense, a huge ring IQ and unorthodox instinct and an adamantium chin. Young could just not do anything here. How this was only a MD is very questionable and concerning. Gavilan is truly one of the best fighters ever on film.

And if anyone knows who the commentator is, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

10. HOUDINI

HOUDINI Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Davy was also a southpaw constantly stepping away from Rocky’s right hand. Could be a fix but could be Rocky befuddled by a southpaw who was smart enough to take away his offense.

roughdiamond likes this.
  11. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    It just looks very suspect for me, like Rocky's just keeping up appearances.

12. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Philly, checked this out today and I gotta say, wow! Phone booth warfare. NY rounds basis.

Round 1: Ortega
    Round 2: Scott
    Round 3: Scott
    Round 4: Even
    Round 5: Scott
    Round 6: Scott
    Round 7: Ortega
    Round 8: Ortega
    Round 9: Even
    Round 10: Scott

Total: 5-3-2 Scott

I went back and checked your scores and found we were almost exact in our scores (except for the couple of evens I had). When you are dealing with close phonebooth-style of fighting, it shows we were both looking at the same fight. Man, there is no telling what these two could do in today's era. Todays fans would be talking about them as all-time greats. They just happen to come from a very strong era that entertained audiences. Outstanding fight. Incidentally, for those that love stats, Actual scores were 5-4-1, 6-3-1 and 6-1-3 all for Scott.

13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Vicente Saldivar vs Baby Luis I

rounds1-2 nice battle of southpaw vs orthodox. Luis has nice handspeed that looks to trouble Saldivar. Both guys using good jabs, with Luis a range keeping one slipping in quickly and Saldivar using a strong offensive jab, with nice snap. Round 2 Saldivar has poor foot position and gets dropped because of it.

Rounds 3-4 missing

5-6 Saldivar looks sound technically but the speed of Luis still troubling him. Round 6 is fun with Saldivar and Luis back and forth. Saldivar landing the heavier shots but Luis giving as good as he gets to the end of 6.

7 Saldivar mid ring ready to go. Ref waves it off and raises Luis hand? I am so confused?

boxrec calls this a KO win for Luis? But how?
    YouTube comments say Saldivar was DQ’d but if so why?

and why is it listed as a KO if it was a DQ? Oh well

14. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Vicente Saldivar vs Mitsunori Seki II

Wished I could find the first fight just for a better perspective on this fight.

Another fun southpaw vs southpaw fight. Seki is a game fighter who I don’t know a ton about. But he is not outclassed in this fight, and again I wished I could watch the first one. But Seki matches Saldivar in jabs, with the noticeable difference the power in Saldivars jab. Man that is a great solid jab. Rounds 5-6 Seki behind on my card begins to apply pressure taking Saldivar to the ropes and hammering away. Saldivar does some work from a back to the ropes position but Seki is slugging away with him.

There really was not a lot separating these 2 which is why I detest when people say so and so does “everything” better than so and so. The biggest difference for me in this fight was not technical skill, but a couple of subtle things. Saldivar has top notch punch resistance. Seki lands big and good matching Saldivar in volume and intensity at times but his lack of power combined with the resistance of Saldivar. Nothing seemed to hurt him or slow him down even when Seki applies pressure late 5- mid 6. And Saldivars own power, especially in his jab. What a great powerful jab!

I did think Seki was in trouble after getting dropped in 7 and Saldivar pounced. Seki was going to go down again and perhaps stopped...It was just a bit premature for my liking.

good fun fight, not great but still very good.

RBR
    1 starts midway (no score from me)
    2-4 Saldivar
    5 Even Saldivar controls early and Seki brings pressure late but to close for me to give either way.
    6 Seki controls and applies pressure again early, but Saldivar controls strong at the end taking the round. and follows up ending it in 7!

Saldivar 4-0-1 with a ? for the incomplete round 1

15. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Ismael Laguna vs Vicente Saldivar

2 of my favorite non Philly fighters square off in a historic showdown.

southpaw vs Orthodox, every round I rated as ultra close and I could see someone scoring every round exactly the opposite from me and you would get no argument from me.

Laguna looks much larger than Saldivar which I did not remember. Their contrast of styles paved the way for an epic hard hitting chess match at the highest level.

Laguna much fleeter of foot than Saldivar. Laguna much quicker hands. Laguna tried to keep Saldivar on the end of that long jab, and fight at distance and mid range. So accurate and wastes no movement.

Saldivar dials you the pressure. Trying to time and slip inside. Imposing his will with body work and superior infighting.

I felt Saldivar imposes his will/style slightly better than Laguna, but this is a fun 10 rounder. Man I wished there was a sequel!

RBR
    1 Saldivar
    2 Saldivar
    3 Laguna
    4 Saldivar
    5 Even
    6 Laguna
    7 Saldivar
    8 Laguna
    9 Laguna
    10 Saldivar

Saldivar 5-4-1 on my card