the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Adrian Hernandez vs Suriyan Satorn I

What a slugfest, I discovered this on the Asian boxing website. Wished I could find the 2nd fight to see if it is as good. Satorn is his name on boxrec although he is on YouTube under his alias Kompayak Porpramook.

From the start these guys are bombs away! Ebbs and flows and momentum shifts galore. Every time one guy seems to assert his will/style and gain control the other guy rallies and then surges to control....then back again multiple times in nearly every round! This is a war to watch!

RBR
    1 Hernandez
    2 Hernandez
    3 Satorn
    4 Hernandez
    5 Satorn
    6 Satorn
    7 Hernandez
    8 Satorn
    9 Hernandez

Hernandez by a point when he gets dropped by Satorn in the 10th ending this slugfest

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Naoto Takahashi vs Mitsuo Imazato II

A fun short fight in the rematch for the Japan Bantamweight Championship!

The KO is a brutal left hook that ends the action! Takahashi is so smooth and in control with a little showboat in him.

3. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    In-Jin Chi vs Michael Brodie II

What a disappointing letdown after the excitement of fight 1. Brodie seemed unprepared right from the start. Unless his plan was to imitate and mount no offense and to be a punching bag on defense...mix in some clinches and headbutts along the way. Chi looked good for whatever that is worth....but how he could he not? I wouldn’t recommend watching this if you have missed it till today,

1-6 Chi with 1/4 being 10-8 rounds.

4. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I think Satorn scored the win over Hernandez in their first fight, no? That said, it's my choice for FOTY in 2011.

KeedCubano and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  5. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    lol now I gotta go edit that post. Thanks....darn these chubby thumbs and my iPhone lol

Drew101 likes this.
  6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Just sat down and scored the first fight between champion Koichi Wajima and Miguel de Oliviera of Brazil. The clarity was very good. I recall this fight back in the day and there was a big clamor that it was a robbery. Although I had it for DeOliviera, it was a tough fight because Wajima was wild and unorthodox but never stopped throwing punches. He was like Gene Fullmer in the sense that he didn't care where it landed. Meanwhile, DeOliviera was compact, neat and precise but didn't throw anywhere near the volume of punches that Wajima did. So, tough fight to score on volume vs. clean. Scored on the 5 point must system.

Round 1: 5-4 Wajima
    Round 2: 5-4 DeOliviera
    Round 3: 5-4 DeOliviera
    Round 4: 5-4 DeOliviera
    Round 5: 5-4 Wajima
    Round 6: 5-4 Wajima
    Round 7: 5-5- Even
    Round 8: 5-4 DeOliviera
    Round 9: 5-4 Wajima
    Round 10: 5-5- Even
    Round 11: 5-4 DeOliviera
    Round 12: 5-4 DeOliviera
    Round 13: 5-4 Wajima
    Round 14: 5-4 DeOliviera
    Round 15: 5-4 DeOliviera

Total: 70-67 DeOliviera

Actual scores by all three Japanese officials were 73-71 for Wajima and two scores of 71-71 for a draw. Like I said, tough one and I'm sure everyone may have some wildly divergent scores depending on how you see this unfold.

7. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    For sh*ts and giggles I did Ali-Frazier 2. 115-114 for Ali.

Frazier certainly looked to be a very degraded version of what he was in the first fight. He wasn't getting off even when he got in position. Still, he had Ali very uncomfortable in many of the rounds after 5.

8. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Philly, just scored this one, the second fight between Ruben Olivares and Rafael Herrera. Ruben just didn't come alive until the last few rounds, like he was in la-la land. Anyways, scoring is on the California system of 1 point for a round, and extra point for a knockdown and none for an even round.

Round 1: Herrera
    Round 2: Even
    Round 3: Herrera
    Round 4: Even
    Round 5: Herrera
    Round 6: Herrera
    Round 7: Herrera (scores a knockdown)
    Round 8: Olivares
    Round 9: Olivares
    Round 10: Olivares

Total: 6-3 Herrera

Actual scores were 6-4 (twice) for Herrera and 5-5 draw. Philly, I almost gave that 4th to Olivares like you did. Very close.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Still on an Olivares kick, I saw that the Ruben Olivares v David Kotey 15 rounder is up on youtube. Saw it back in '75 and scored it a draw but don't remember my score. Sat down for it today to score and here is how I had it on the 10 point must system employed.

Round 1: 10-8 Kotey (scores a knockdown)
    Round 2: 10-9 Kotey
    Round 3: 10-9 Olivares
    Round 4: 10-9 Kotey
    Round 5: 10-9 Olivares
    Round 6: 10-9 Olivares
    Round 7: 10-9 Kotey
    Round 8: 10-9 Kotey
    Round 9: 10-9 Kotey
    Round 10: 10-9 Olivares
    Round 11: 10-9 Olivares
    Round 12: 10-9 Olivares
    Round 13: 10-9 Kotey
    Round 14: 10-9 Olivares
    Round 15: 10-9 Olivares

Total: 142-142 Draw

Can you believe it? Again I had it a draw. But also like '75, I still would have called those 2 'slips' in the 2nd round and the 4th round as knockdowns for Kotey. I will give credit to Olivares for something though. Although having trained in every bar leading up to this fight, he certainly ended with a flourish which I felt Kotey did not. But it is what it is. Kotey wins a split with all three judges only one point apart.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  10. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Alfredo Escalera vs Kuniaki Shibata

Shibata boxing very well here, looking speedy and skilled as always. However, the patient and measured Escalera eventually lays his trap and catches the immensely underrated Shibata with some huge shots in the second, which Shibata could not recover from. Shame, since he had a brilliant first, landing left hooks. However, his somewhat rushed approach here cost him. Shibata is probably the next fighter I'll be watching fairly in depth, as he has a real good skill set and speedy momentum.

R1: Shibata
    R2: KO

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  11. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Yoko Gushiken vs Tito Abella

Abella is outgunned in this fight, but he is a crafty dude with a fighters heart and laid it all on the line!

Yoko is such a smart smooth fluid boxer and makes everything look so effortless. However Abella is going to make him work to earn this one.

In round 1 Yoko is forcing the action and initiating exchanges. He moves in for a quick combo but Abella beats him to the punch with a quick counter and lets Yoko know he is there to fight. Yoko starts circling and bouncing letting/making Abella move forward to initiate the exchanges, then as soon as Abella steps will in he presses and engages knocking Abella down with 20 seconds left. I can’t tell you how many times (70% is my guess) Yoko drops guys with 10-30 seconds left in the round.

round 3 Yoko engaging early, and drops Abella about a minute in...I am thinking this will be over soon...but Abella turns it on, catches Yoko off balance and out of position almost dropping him. Then he continues to finish strong.

4 Yoko outgunning Abella at every turn, but still he fights on.

5 Back and forth Yoko winning the round, but Abella standing tough. With 30 seconds left Yoko drops him again (you better fight all 3 minutes because Yoko ups the pressure in EVERY round during the final 30)

6 Yoko controlling again, when Abella catches him with a solid left backing him up, Abella turns up the pressure over the final minute...probably a Yoko round? But I felt Abella earned an even round over the final minute.

7 Yoko digging hooks to the body for the first time in the fight. Again another hook to the body hurts Abella Yoko pounces and lands several down goes Abella...but this time he ain’t getting up!

fun fight to watch and Abella likely won’t ever have any threads in his honor on this forum.....but the dude earned my respect for the effort he gave here!

Yoko takes every round (6th might be even), 1-3-5 by 10-8 scores. Worth the time to check this out if you have not seen it before

12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Was there a round 2?

13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    yes, I just didn’t give a synopsis of that round.

This content is protected

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    just rewatched this, and Shibata is well worth looking deeper at. In this case I am not sure how much of Shibata’s effectiveness was him and how much it was Escalera sitting back, gauging the speed and power of Shibata and getting the timing and range down. Having said that Shibata did win round 1 I just felt it was due more to Escalera’s inactivity than Shibata doing well.

round 2 Escalera starts pumping his jab early, and then Shibata scoots inside taking a quick exchange. But he didn’t seem to hurt Escalera at all. The wild left hook by Escalera about 30 seconds before the ending final flurry could have ended it if Escalera had gotten the range right.

knockout of the year type stuff ended the fight!

Escalera just looked to big and strong for Shibata at this point. I am not sure the outcome would change even with the 1970 FW version of Shibata.

Escaleras speed reflexes and power were just to much at this point in time.

Decent fight that I have not looked at in years

roughdiamond likes this.
  15. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Oscar De La Hoya vs Giorgio Campanella

@Jel just checked this out in light of the DLH vs Azumah thread.

DLH (commentators say he seems distracted) cold or not properly warmed up??? Perhaps? Gets caught by a left hook as he simultaneously misses with his right and down goes Oscar. Campanella continues to win exchanges, before Oscar settles in during the final minute or so.

round 2 is a focused Oscar, pumping the jab and Campanella seems confused as to how to attack at this point, so he does very little. Oscar taking control now. Drops Campanella who takes a knee....Cortez sucks as a ref!!!!! Oscar throws 4 punches after Campanella takes the knee, and 2 land. Campanella back up, and Oscar attacks. No one hears the bell which is fine...I guess but after the bell Oscar lands 3 that drop Campanella which should not be a KD IMO but either way it is.

3 Oscar all over Campanella drops him early, then drops him again this is all over.

Jel likes this.