the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I have heard the narrative as well. I don’t think so? Perhaps slightly post prime or tail end...more so for me I find Mugabi slightly overrated both in general and in regards to this fight. To me he showed no movement foot or head and lacked the skill in general to fight at this level/weight.

but I imagine this is about SRL/Hagler and while I don’t think it is a robbery I do feel Hagler edged it...but he fought Leonard’s fight and has no one to blame but himself IMO.

Mario040481 likes this.
  2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Faded but still well and truly capable i'd guess. Mugabi i find overrated from this fight as well. So stiff.

I had Leonard by 2 at worst from memory. I thought he clearly outboxed him at various times and a lot of Hagler's shots were arm punches or taps to the body.

3. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Antonio Cervantes vs Aaron Pryor

Round 1: 10-8 Cervantes
    Round 2: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: KO Cervantes who had been countering beautifully up to this point, suffered a bad cut above the eye in the 3rd round. Pryor as is his custom comes flying out of the corner like a hawk at the opening bell for the 4th round and swarms all over Cervantes again. With the blood flowing freely into his eye the aging warrior has slowed down considerably from the all out 3 round onslaught, and can no longer stand up to the barrage of hay-makers. The champion slumps in the corner after taking several flush shots and can't beat the 10 count, making Aaron Pryor the new Super Lightweight Champion of the World.

My Score: (30-27 Cervantes) ATOS

This content is protected

roughdiamond and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  4. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Jung-Koo Chang vs Katsuo Tokashiki

Now this is a fight! Chang is at his best and his defense is as sharp as his offense! Tokashiki stands in there gamely taking a load of heavy stunning blues but bringing some intense volume of his own. Not sure how he survived 5/7 but in 9 the ref waves it off. Tokashiki was going to go down anyway and probably couldn’t have won, I just hate some of these early stoppages. #84 on boxing news 100 greatest fights certainly lives up to its billing! If you are a fan of Asian boxing and/or lighter weights this is must watch level stuff!

1 Chang 10-8
    3 Chang
    3 Tokashiki
    4 Chang
    5 Chang
    6 Tokashiki (close)
    7 Chang
    8 Chang
    Chang 78-73 at TOS!

salsanchezfan and rorschach51 like this.
  5. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

Love this fight.

6. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Simon Brown vs Vincent Pettway

Not a great fight, maybe not even a very good one? But it is a good fight with a great KO and that makes it worth watching. Horrible reffing but the roughhouse tactics of both guys border on dirty. Not breaking from the clinch, both get warnings x’s 2, a low blow KD, Brown having more vaseline in his face than I have ever seen in round 4, hitting after the bell etc.

Brown drops Pettway towards the end of 1, Pettway survives the final 10 seconds by clinching and Brown has no time to capitalize. Rounds 2/4are close enough to go to either guy but I scored both for Brown narrow. Round 3 Pettway times Brown jab perfectly coming over the top with a right that drops Brown. Round 5 Brown drops Pettway and sends him through the ropes. Pettway is livid saying it was a low blow. In the KD he loses his mouth piece and complains buying hisself nearly 40 seconds of recovery time. On replay a low blow does drop him, as he is down brown lands 2 more sending him through the ropes. Should not have been a KD IMO.

6 Pettway scores one of the ATG KO’s where brown lands flat on his back and as the ref is courting brown throws drunk like punches from his back not even realizing he is down! Great end to a decent fight.

1 Brown 10-8
    2 Brown
    3 Pettway 10-8
    4 Brown
    5 Brown 10-8
    Brown leading 48-44 on my card when he gets stopped!

7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ezzard Charles vs Rex Layne III

Rd. Ezz : Rex (Total)
    1. 10 : 9 (10-9)
    2. 10 : 9 (20-18)
    3. 10 : 9 (30-27)
    4. 10 : 9 (40-36)
    5. 10 : 9 (50-45)
    6. 10 : 8 (60-53)
    7. 10 : 8 (70-61)
    8. 10 : 9 (80-70)
    9. 10 : 9 (90-79)
    10. 10 : 8 (100-87)

Ezzard Charles wins by 10 round unanimous decision.

The second was probably close enough to go either way, but I gave it Charles based on his defence.

Far from Ezzard's best performance, but if you want a masterclass in ring generalship, subtle defence and infighting, look no further.
    Should be noted that Rex Layne, whilst definitely past prime, was still a top 5 HW at the time, and Ezzard literally toyed with him.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  8. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Yep, you’re right Philly, Robinson won this but what about that ending?! He was about one punch away from getting stopped!

9. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    he seemed to have a little bit of Meldrick in him IMO. When he boxed smart and patient he was in control, but he seemed to get drawn into some exchanges he didn’t need to.

10. Mario040481

Mario040481 Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2019
    [QUOTE="PhillyPhan69, post: 20199355, member: 13634 " Hagler edged it...but he fought Leonard’s fight and has no one to blame but himself IMO.[/QUOTE]
    I am a pretty big Hagler fan or, at the very least, I am a bigger fan of Hagler than I've ever been of Leonard. Hagler's "working man" type story and career just resonates with me more. Anyhoots...
    The few times I've watched Hagler/SRL I imagine hearing in my head a commentator who was a former fighter saying of Hagler something akin to "I don't understand why Hagler is making this fight harder for himself then it need be?" a line I believe to often have been said by Foreman and maybe Jones too during their stints on HBO commentary. It's totally applicable to Hagler in this fight. Today, if you're (not you specifically) a big fan, you've likely learned of the things that went on the background in the Leonard camp during his training for this fight. Sending the spy to camp Hagler, Leonard having, what he and the others in his camp considered to be 3 "real" 12 rd fights in secret (in what I think was the third of the camp fights, Leonard admits to getting hurt pretty badly, possibly what would a been a KO) and lastly the giant coup during negotiations that allowed for Leonard to pretty much get his way on everything from ring size, number of rounds etc. Anyway, that speil there is so I can say, boxing fans know Hagler is an ATG. Against Leonard, Team Hagler botched up near everything in the lead up, giving Ray every concession he wanted so as to get the fight made, seemingly under the belief that it really didn't matter what Ray got. He couldn't, and wouldn't beat Hagler. Then, at the fight, Hagler comes out and botches the first 4 rds. I think it says a lot about Hagler that , even after all the terrible choices they'd made, after the botches I mentioned above, Hagler still managed to get that fight to a place where, even still today, there are people who will vehemently argue that Marvelous Marvin Hagler won that fight and got the short end of the stick. That is how good Hagler was.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  11. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    I am not big on scoring fights myself.I do enjoy going through this thread here and reading how others scored fights. With that being said, I watched the following fight a week or so back and I am curious to see what the scorecards from here will look like
    This content is protected

12. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Carlos Monzon vs. Rodrigo Valdes II

Monzon is a ring general extraordinaire! The master of pace and space and forcing his will and style on just about anyone. I don’t find him exciting to watch but brilliant to study. Monzon dictates an entire fight behind his jab. He controls the distance with it, he attacks with it and he follows it up with devastating effectiveness. Valdéz holds his own and rocks Monzon more than a few times including dropping him in the 2nd which showcased his power, Monzon chin and recuperative ability. I wouldn’t call it a great fight but rather a brilliant performance against a top notch opponent all while being beyond his peak! Monzon needs to be in any conversation about ATG MW’s!

1 Monzon
    2 Valdes 10-8
    3 Monzon
    4 Monzon
    5 Monzon
    6 Monzon
    7 Valdes
    8 Valdes
    9 Monzon
    10 Monzon
    11 Monzon
    12 Valdes
    13 Valdes
    14 Monzon
    15 Valdes
    Monzon 143-141 on my card

13. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Mario, I scored this a while back. This is what I wrote. BTW, Armando Muniz is my all-time favorite fighter.

Always loved an Armando Muniz fight and he was always a favorite of mine. I recall being shocked over him losing to Jose Palacios, but by then he was tending to run hot and cold. Nevertheless, a good fight and here we go by way of the 10 point must system.

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-8 Palacios (scored a knockdown)
    Round 3: 10-9 Palacios
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Muniz
    Round 6: 10-9 Palacios
    Round 7: 10-9 Muniz
    Round 8: 10-9 Palacios
    Round 9: 10-9 Palacios
    Round 10: 10-10 Even

Total: 98-94 Palacios

I Don't believe Muniz ever recovered from that knockdown in the 2nd round. One of only 3 times he was down in his career. Tough fight.

14. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    Well s h i t the bed. I appreciate your taking them to repost that again for me. I imagine that there's a search function somewheres where I can find out if a certain fight was scored/posted in this thread.
    Are you a west coaster by chance? Just curious as Ive maybe mentioned,t this particular era, from welter and down, is one I am gaining an interest in. Maybe some will disagree on the following but, even long before the "Mexican style" BS came about, these fighters were often characterized as unskilled unsophisticated brawlers and as I've gotten into these fighters, and the time period, I just don't really see it, so if it was an apt description, maybe it was in earlier eras. Well, maybe it's only those fighters at high ranking contender through to champion skill levels. Anyway, it's something Ive noticed, or better to say somwthng I THINK I notice. Now those skilled dudes, they are very very offense minded for sure, but they generally seem to ha a clear purpose and arent just haymaking. Anway, again, thanks for the repost, sorry if this is the wrong plae for the other portion of my post!
    best
    Mario

rorschach51 likes this.
  15. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Not at all, Mario, the '70s west coast was one of my favorite eras in boxing.

rorschach51 likes this.