the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    As Larry Merchant once said about Taylor, he was too much a Philadelphia fighter.

2. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Wow - crazy fight! I started watching this last night because of your write up but then kept falling asleep (not a result of the action, just a long week catching up with me). Revisited the remaining rounds this morning and will probably rewatch the whole thing again as I missed a fair bit of the fight.

But regarding rounds 7-9, they were remarkable. In the 7th, both fighters looked done at various points but Tokashiki really got on top and I honestly thought Chang was finished by the end of the 8th (had I not known the result). But there he was again, fighting his way back in the 9th - he showed inhuman resilience. It was the sort of fight that can change a fighter, given that both of them appeared to be running on empty by the end of the 7th.

But I have to disagree about the stoppage, Philly. I think the ref got that spot on. That's as close to a guy going down but somehow managing to stay on his feet as I think I've ever seen. I think the ref was absolutely right to step in at that point. Maybe Tokashiki could have survived the onslaught from Chang one last time, but at what cost? That was a life and death struggle in there and I'm really glad Tokashiki didn't have to take another punch.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  3. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Whenever a conversation moves onto Hagler v Leonard scoring, I always want to step in and say 'Gentlemen, if you'll come this way' as I figuratively steer two posters away from the 'Hagler/Leonard who won?' debate room.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes i'm hearing you hahaha.

Jel likes this.
  5. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Tokashiki was a little badass and had a Beard. There was no way Chang was putting him down and out properly; the stoppage was a good call as you said.

George Crowcroft, rorschach51 and Jel like this.
  6. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Chavez VS Camacho

Chavez Camacho
    R1: 10 - 9
    Great pressure footwork
    R2: 10 - 9
    Chavez more effective. Looks a force here.
    R3: 10 - 9
    Camacho flicking infrequently and clinching
    R4: 10 - 9
    Bit closer, great uppercut from Camacho
    R5: 9 - 10
    Camacho spoilt to a win this round
    R6: 10 - 9
    Chavez pounding the body
    R7: 10 - 9
    Caamcho defiant, Cahvez breaking him down
    R8: 10 - 9
    Chavez immense firepower here
    R9: 10 - 9
    Brutal. Macho showing a lot of heart.
    R10: 10 - 9
    Slower round
    R11: 10 - 9
    Repeat of the same
    R12: 10 - 9
    Camacho showing heart.

TOTAL: 119 - 109 CHAVEZ

Notes:
    • Great showing from Chavez. A definitive pressure performance. Brilliant offense and defense.
    • Camacho showed a lot of heart here.

7. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

That's the dichotomy that makes Camacho a bit of a waste of talent really. It's been talked about to death, but he DID change his approach for the worse after getting thumped against Rosario (a fight he won, let's not forget). Something happened in his head and he turned into a safety-first runner/clincher, the very antithesis of a "Macho Man."

Yet you look at this fight, where he got beaten like a drum by a seasoned, ATG pressure/swarmer and went the distance. Then he went the distance with true punchers like DeLaHoya and Trinidad, people forget that as well. He COULD take it as well as dish it out, he could just never convince himself that he could.

More's the pity.

8. Mario040481

Mario040481 Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2019
    @roughdiamond
    @salsanchezfan
    If you're not located in North America, or if you are knowledgeable of how to work around YouTube's "This video is unavailable in your country" system, of which there are a few different methods. As I use Chrome for a web browser i use an extension called "Geoproxy" and usually picking an IP from the "Russian Federation" will get the job done. then this particular channel has a beautiful version of the Chavez/Camacho fight posted, coming from Showtimes 30th anniversary fight replay series they were doing. The same channel has JCC/Haugen, JCC/Taylor II, and Jcc?Randel II in the same quality as the Camaho fight and rom the same 30th anniversary series. The channel also is just overall ridiculously awesome fight wise.
    This content is protected

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  9. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Thanks!

rorschach51 likes this.
  10. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    Yep, Yep. No problem. This channel linked up above, named Khonda_8, also has the Hagler/Mugabi fight coming from that same 30th anniversary dealy. Ok, so I dont just keep retyping "30th Anniversary series" for the fights I am going to mention shortly, just remember that is what I am talking about ! So, yes, Hagler Mugabi, which is also in 60fps, which is beautiful too. For those who are in North America, just searching for these fights through YT's search bar will show you absolutely nothing. Meaning they don't even put them in the results, you won't even know that the channels ever posted these specific fights I mention. This is strange to me though as the guy has a multitude of other fights from this Showtime replay series which arent country blocked. Weird. Examples being Jackson/McClellan 1, Douglas Holyfield, and a few other Holyfield fights, I believe the ones that can be seen without any issues are a couple of his cruiserweight fights. Anyway, this series was awesome and I wish that YT, and or Showtime, weren't total dil-dos about that !
    PS: Whittaker Chavez is also online from this series, and it looks great of course, but I dont think it is posted to YT, instead I go it from some Russian sites that I have mentioned previously somewhere here. Oh, there is also the JCC/Haugen fight available at khonda's channel;

rorschach51 and roughdiamond like this.
  11. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Nathaniel May vs Bruno Tarimo

Round 1: 10-9 May (Close round, really fun all action! Liked May's work better)

Round 2: 10-9 Tarimo (Awesome round! Tit for tat, Tarimo hurts May this round his pressure is relentless)

Round 3: 10-9 Tarimo (May gets on his bike & tries to use movement to avoid the pressure, he's not active enough to win the round though)

Round 4: 10-9 Tarimo (Relentless pressure from Bruno he's just outworking May, he beat Nate's behind strictly out of the southpaw stance this round)

Round 5: 10-9 Tarimo (Closer round, May starting to tire from the movement, but he's just not throwing enough back)

Round 6: 10-9 May (Much better, looks to have got a 2nd wind. Countered really well on the charging Tarimo, stuck a great jab in his face, and was able to land rights & lead uppercuts then get out of the way before taking damage this round. Clear May round imo)

Round 7: 10-9 Tarimo (Bruno back in command again, back to outworking May who can now be seen gulping air. That last round was quite the effort from May to remain almost untouched)

Round 8: 10-9 Tarimo (He's not letting Nate even have room to breath, and it's really showing the toll in this late rounds)

Round 9: 10-9 May (Nate's best round since the 1st, steps to the side landing bombs on the angle stuns Tarimo at least once. But Bruno is so tough he never takes a backwards step, and still makes the round close. He just got hit with too many big shots this round from the bigger puncher for his constant volume to win this round imo. Great round!)

Round 10: 10-9 Tarimo (Good final round, May made it a close one but I lean towards Bruno Tarimo again this round)

My Score: (97-93 Tarimo)

Judges Scores: (98-92 x 2 Tarimo) (97-93 Tarimo) Judges get it right and don't award the house fighter.

Really fun exciting fight between young Aussie prospects, both 24 (years of age) Tarimo the opponent and originally from Tanzania has been fighting almost exclusively down under for his last 2 years & 6 fights. May the talented house fighter coming off a tough loss in his last fight, jumps right back in tough to try to reclaim some of his hype. If you have ESPN+ this is on the Tszyu vs Brubaker undercard, and worth the watch. Tarimo is a all action pressure fighter who is orthodox but fights is a good switch hitter will fight out of the southpaw stance as much as right handed. Where as May is more the the slick mover variety also orthodox, but also in this fight is the bigger man & in the beginning seemed to be the bigger puncher. In this instance it makes for a good clash of styles and fun fight. The only thing I didn't like about this one was the annoying ref who constantly was warning someone (usually Tarimo) after every break, every round.

roughdiamond likes this.
  12. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    Dude, that is THE sound of a nail being hit in, or on, I guess on works too, the head. Camacho takes a licking here, and when in with De La Hoya as well. Near street beating type lickings. But, I was actually impressed with how Macho, past his best, finally decided he would attempt to fight and hold ground in the later stages of the Chavez fight, I think it's in rd 9.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    salsanchezfan likes this.
  13. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Jack Brubaker vs Ty Telford

Round 1: 10-9 Telford (good round for both men, the big combo Ty landed in the first half takes the round for me. But Jack had his moments as well close round)

Round 2: 10-9 Telford (Looked like he should have had a knockdown and a 10-8 round scored for him, but the ref didn't rule it as such. Despite what Telford's KO ratio looks like att (5-0) (2 KO's) He appears to be the bigger puncher of the 2 despite appearing to be the smaller fighter)

Round 3: 10-9 Telford (Close I can see it being a Brubaker round who did the most work this round, but when Ty explodes in spurts he landed the biggest hardest flushest punches. Definite swing round, as it's what you like here)

Round 4: 10-9 Telford (Big! He hurt Brubaker several times this round, he murdering him to the body. His only issue in this fight is Telford loads up on every punch so much that he isn't able to remain active throughout, as since the 1st round he's had to take close to a 1 minute break before throwing bombs again. Which gives Brubaker the opportunity to work and the judges the excuse they need to side with the fighter Main Events wanted for Tszyu)

Round 5: 10-9 Telford (MY GOD! How does Ty Telford only have 2 KO's in 7 fights, it looks and sounds like someone being hit by massive blows when he connects. That jab to Brubaker's solar-plexus looks like it visibly hurts Brubaker everytime Ty throws it, and that's one punch he throws regularly)

Round 6: 10-9 Telford (What a show of power punching Ty Telford is putting on. Some of his body shots are hurting me as I watch them land)

Round 7: 10-9 Telford (The clean power punching of Telford is winning the day. He remained as active as Brubaker throughout this round)

Round 8: 10-9 Telford (Close, definite swing round, I just like Ty's bigger punches better)

Round 9: 10-9 Telford (WHAT A FIGHT! Absolute bombs detonating on Brubaker's chin a body! Jack just about went down this round, but somehow was able to stay on his feet)

Round 10: 10-9 Brubaker (Jack really went for it, and it was the first time I seen Ty wobble. Telford still got some hellacious shots in but this last round in a great fight is a Brubaker round for me)

My Score: (99-91 Telford) 98-92 or 97-93 Telford would be acceptable as well.

Judges Scores: (99-91 Telford) (96-95 Brubaker) (95-95 Even)

This content is protected

After seeing Brubaker get the Tszyu fight today it's not much of a stretch to think Main Event had their eye on the Tszyu/Brubaker fight back in May when this fight took place. This was the Co-Main on the undercard for Tszyu, and I have a feeling that had something to do with the judges that somehow found 5 & 6 rounds to give Brubaker for the split draw. I can see a case to be made that I wouldn't argue with for 7-3 Telford, but anymore than that would be a absolute stretch into fantasy that I can't see a argument made for. The commentating team never did go back and show why the knockdown in the 2nd round for Telford wasn't counted. I want to see much more from Ty "The Trigger" Telford. Jack Brubaker I can take or leave.

14. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Chan-Hee Park vs Guty Espadas

A very short fun fight to watch! The action is fast..with park getting dropped early in 1, and comes back to drop guty twice. In 2 he drops him again and the ref waves it off!

rorschach51 likes this.
  15. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Found the first fight between Jeff Chandler and Oscar Muniz. I saw both their fights back in the day but needed to see this again. Here we go on the NJ's rounds basis. 10 rounds non-title.

Round 1: Muniz
    Round 2: Muniz
    Round 3: Even
    Round 4: Chandler
    Round 5: Muniz
    Round 6: Muniz
    Round 7: Even
    Round 8: Chandler
    Round 9: Muniz
    Round 10: Chandler

Total: 5-3-2 Muniz

Actual scores were 5-4-1 (twice) for Muniz and 5-4-1 Chandler. A really good fight that moves fast with some beautiful clean shots. But what really irked me back then was what was going on behind the scenes. I was aware back then of the WBA and WBC's affinity towards cash-cow countries. Fighters that I never heard of getting title shots where good fighters were allowed to rot on the vine has always p***ed me off. And none as much as this fight. Muniz had a record something like 35-3 and despite some really good wins couldn't get a world ranking by either group. Yet, the WBA pushed Miguel Iriarte down Chandler (and our) throats as their #1 contender. He gets a title shot, gets blown away by Chandler in 9 and Jeff says something to the effect of how amazed that he was that Iriarte didn't even know how to fight. I hope Muniz embarrassed the crap out of the WBA by beating Chandler in this non-title and forced a title shot. He may not have won the rematch but as I recall back then, I had it about even before it was stopped. OK, that's me on my soapbox today.