the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  2. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Hamed was more of a switch hitter than an outright southpaw, and changes up quite frequently, sometimes multiple times in a short span in this particular one. I have done a thread in the past on best southpaw vs southpaw fights and I think someone else did as well.

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/southpaw-vs-southpaw-fights.283125/

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/name-your-5-best-southpaw-v-southpaw-fights.595166/

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah those were the threads I was talking about when I said I would link them.

I class Hamed as a southpaw coz that's the stance he was best in, and used more frequently imo. But yes, I agree he was a very very good switch hitter.

rorschach51 and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  4. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Jamel Herring vs Lamont Roach

Round 1: 10-9 Herring
    Round 2: 10-9 Herring
    Round 3: 10-9 Herring
    Round 4: 10-9 Herring
    Round 5: 10-9 Herring
    Round 6: 10-9 Herring
    Round 7: 10-9 Roach
    Round 8: 10-9 Herring
    Round 9: 10-9 Hearing
    Round 10: 10-9 Herring
    Round 11: 10-9 Roach
    Round 12: 10-9 Roach

My Score: (117-111 Herring) I have no idea what the ESPN crew (mainly Ward) was watching. I didn't see a close fight at all, Herring did all the clean punching except for the the 7th, 11th & 12th.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  5. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I had the same idea! I'm using that list to choose my next fights to watch until FOTF.

6. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Really fun fight between Humberto Gonzalez and Saman Sorjaturong for Chiquita's WBC belt. I'd read about this one but had never seen it. What a scrap.

Chiquita comes out as he always does, shuffling around and generally squaring himself up but utilizes his method of diving inside and winging wide hooks with both arms punctuated by uppercuts to open his opponent up. That must have been a very awkward type of thing to prepare for as opponent.

In the second, Saman scores with what would prove to be the only really effective weapon during the bout, a counter right hand. He scores flush to Gonzalez's face and down goes the champ. The challenger is hesitant to follow up with too much zeal however, and the moment escapes him.

The next couple of rounds show Gonzales raining down his punches in flurries on the challenger and in the fifth it seems the Thai is gone, as a combination to the head and body sends him wilting to the canvas, looking for all the world like he wants out, eye swelling shut and everything.

Then he starts firing back. To his immense credit he survives and rallies. The ring doctor visits his corner between the 6th and 7th, and he must know that the punishment he's taken coupled with his now closed right eye mean he hasn't much time to get it done. He unleashes a combination capped off with a booming right that sends Chiquita sprawling backwards to the canvas along the ropes, badly hurt and now spurting blood from an already damaged left eye. More flurries from the challenger follow and the referee steps in. The challenger and his corner are beside themselves with joy, and it's deserved. A truly remarkable comeback. The stoppage was a bit premature perhaps, but not terrible.

7. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Mahyar Monshipour vs. Somsak Sithchatchawal

Ok I am embarrassed to admit it has taken me 13 years to watch this fight! I knew it was FOTY and that it was supposed to be great, but it is so seldom discussed that I never moved it up my list...a shame! If that is you too, don’t delay any longer this is a must watch fight! FOTY 2006, boxing news #68 fight of all time, and maybe in my top 50 although I don’t have an official list.

2 guys go to war from the bell till the wave off of the ref in round 10. Rounds 5/9 are ROTY of the year level with 9 taking it. Rounds 2/5/6 close enough to be scored anyway you feel moved. Monshipour moving forward all night behind a tight high guard defense, Sithcatchawal countering and having higher volume, sitcatchawal working the body really well in rounds 4-8 sets him up for the win.

RBR
    1 Sithcatchawal 10-8
    2 Sithcatchawal
    3 Monshipour
    4 Monshipour
    5 Even
    6 Monshipour
    7 Sithcatchawal
    8 Monshipour
    9 Sithcatchawal
    Sithcatchawal 96-95 on my card

round 10- looking dead at the end of 9 Monshipour starts strong for 30 seizing control...then Sithcatchawal on the attack! Monshipour rallies, then Sithcatchawal then Monshipour...late in the round Sithcatchawal on the offense again falls over from exhaustion from a wild swing, back to his feet with another assault Monshipour not responding, the ref waves it off!

this is a great great fight! As you might expect a war like this takes its toll on both men. Monshipour retires and Sithcatchawal loses the belt in his first defense. He continues fighting but never rises to this level again!

George Crowcroft and rorschach51 like this.
  8. rorschach51

Feb 18, 2012
    Lee McGregor vs Ukashir Farooq

Round 1: 10-9 McGregor (Lee tool the first comfortably, looked like Ukashir was mainly focused on downloading McGregor's file)

Round 2: 10-9 Farooq (Close, Farooq landed the better shots & rolled very well with much of what Lee got credit for)

Round 3: 10-9 Farooq (Lee started well, Farooq took the second half of the round getting much more quality work done to take it)

Round 4: 10-9 McGregor (Close round, Lee's work was better for me this round. Some great bodywork from Fraooq though)

Round 5: 10-9 Farooq (Smashing body work & excellent upperbody movement slipping punches come back with his own)

Round 6: 10-9 Farooq

Round 7: 10-9 McGregor

Round 8: 10-9 Farooq (Fantastic Scottish Domestic dust up! Good comeback round, Lee had good moments towards the end)

Round 9: 10-9 Farooq (McGregor's getting dirty)

Round 10: 9-9 (Great round for McGregor but he had a point deducted)

Round 11: 10-9 Farooq (Ukashir's consistently battering body work takes the round for me)

Round 12: 10-9 MCGregor (Digs deep to take the final round)

My Score: (115-112 Farooq)

Judges spoil a great fight, yes great fights are usually close and in points it was, but the winner should have been clear, which was Ukashir Farooq.

9. rorschach51

Feb 18, 2012
    Dominic Boesel vs Sven Fornling

Round 1: 10-9 Boesel (Dom was the only one that landing anything in the round)

Round 2: 10-8 Boesel (Punch that landed behind the head combined with a push was still called a knockdown)

Round 3: 10-9 Fornling (Started out more of the same, Sven finally opened up in the second half & got some good work done)

Round 4: 10-9 Fornling (Good round for Sven, finally letting his hands go)

Round 5: 10-9 Fornling (I don't like Boesel's body language, Fornling is making the fight & winning the exchanges)

Round 6: 10-9 Boesel (Dom let his hands go again & countered well unlike the last 3 rounds)

Round 7: 10-9 Boesel (Sven finished better but Dom did all the good work for the first 2:30)

Round 8: 10-9 Fornling (Big round for Sven)

Round 9: 10-9 Fornling (Another good round for Sven. Dom should have a point taken for holding by now, he seems like he's always looking for the ref's help)

Round 10: 10-9 Boesel (Dom lands a big perfectly timed right hand that opens another big cut around Sven's right eye. Fornling lands a good 1-2 that leads to a good rally, but Dom comes back & finishes well to take a close round)

Round 11: TKO

My Score: (95-94 Boesel) ATOS

Good fight, I don't like Boesel or his tactics.

10. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    @PhillyPhan69 can you tell me about the 4 point leading rule from Brazilian scoring system? That might be the worst rule I've ever read

11. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    @red cobra might be able to better than me.

red cobra and George Crowcroft like this.
  12. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    my limited understanding is that you had to win a decision by 4 pts to gain a victory. So you could actually be up or down by 3 on the cards and it is still a draw. Not an expert or even an enlightened amateur on that ruling though

red cobra and George Crowcroft like this.
  13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    + I associate it with Argentina but it could have been a factor in multiple places?

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  14. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Yeah, I associate it more with Argentina. I used to wonder how Argentine fighters used to have so many draws on their records and then found out about that rule. It’s a borderline ‘no decision’ rule, really.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah Philly,...it's a lot like the rather barbaric rule that they have in Argentina to help snag a draw...and all it does is promote the erroneous conception that Argentine and Brazilian fighters benefit exclusively from home cooking....when in truth, protective officiating such as that is hardly necessary when involving their top class of fighters.