the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Henry Hank

Henry Hank Mexicans Run Houston Full Member

Aug 30, 2019
    STFU Noob.

2017 lmao.

What a joke.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    A sensitive alt and hypocrite?

3. Henry Hank

Henry Hank Mexicans Run Houston Full Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Meh !! Youre trying too hard.

4. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Oh my stop the madness and boot the troll if he has nothing to add to the forum or thread outside of an infantile diatribe! Back to boxing

Lucas Matthysse vs. John Molina

This fight cane up in a thread about best fights in 2014-i had not watched it before so I am glad I did. Not the greatest fight and stand alone may not be FOTY material but I have not contrasted it against other fights outside of Gamboa vs Crawford. This fight is far more entertaining.

I did think that Molinas corner should have stopped it and thought the dr. Might just prior to 11...but nope instead they let him get beat up for 10 more seconds that he was not fit to fight in.

very good fun fight, but felt like Matthysse was in control the whole fight even in rounds he got dropped in.

judges cards were 97-90 (scored 5 a 10-9 round for Molina even with the KD...I did not, but certainly justifiable) 95-91 and 94-92 all within the scope of reason as rounds 1/3/5/6 could legit be scored anyway.

1 Matthysse
    2 Molina 10-8
    3 Matthysse (28-28)
    4 Matthysse
    5 Molina 10-8
    6 Matthysse (56-56)
    7 Matthysse
    8 Matthysse 10-8
    9 Matthysse
    10 Matthysse 10-8
    Matthysse stops Molina in 11 while up 96-90 on my card.

well worth checking out and the fight is not on YouTube currently but did some digging and found a European version if you want to check it out...

https://m.ok.ru/dk?st.cmd=movieLayer&st.groupId=51658613915882&st.discId=12948671210&st.retLoc=default&st.rtu=/dk?st.cmd=userAllSearch&st.search=lucas+matthysse+molina&st.frwd=on&st.page=1&_prevCmd=userAllSearch&tkn=8845&st.discType=GROUP_MOVIE&st.mvId=12948671210&_prevCmd=userAllSearch&tkn=3790#

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Kelly Pavlik vs Jose Luis Zertuche

Pavlik ready to prove he belongs on the world stage defending his NABF title in a WBC eliminator fight. And he shines big time!

Zertuche is not a great fighter but a high quality gate keeper. He displays solid power as well as a solid chin, and works the body fairly well. He does not seem to have the stamina to fight 3 minutes a round, but early on fights in 30-40 second bursts, as the fight gets into the 5th the bursts become less explosive and 3-5 punch sequences rather than bursts. He showed decent power and hand speed, but his offense and defense don’t translate, and he becomes wide open for Pavliks jab and right.

Pavlik is very very good, but not great by any stretch. However Zertuche didn’t have the ability and size to exploit most of a Pavliks shortcomings. Pavlik reminds me a lot of a Kovalev or Kessler type of fighter. A very good and very strong jab, but one dimensional in the way it is delivered. Hopkins/Taylor will exploit this but not Zertuche. Pavlik has a powerful right but often wide and slow in its delivery. He has serviceable defense for a stationary guy with little foot, body and non existent head movement, his hands and arms do a good job of deflecting and blocking shots. His chin is solid if not spectacular and he eats a few more punches than he needed to in this fight although mainly in the first 4 rounds. His power is his calling card and he has a strong punishing jab, and when his right lands it does major damage!

Pavlik let the fight get inside more than he needed to? Perhaps lack of respect or over eagerness? When he worked at mid range he was in total control, but Zertuche had good moments inside early on. Pavlik also has a tendency to over reach and lean in when he attacks, no reason a guy with his height and reach advantage should be clumsily swinging forward leaving his chin exposed, off balance ripe for a counter and Zertuche exploits it a couple of times, but not successfully enough to reap the reward.

by the 5th Pavlik is having his way and the fight goes from Pavlik controlling an exciting fight to Pavlik dominating a one sided beat down. He lands a killer right that drops Zertuche for the first time in his career, not sure how he survived that 6th round.

in 7 Lennox Lewis and commentary bare criticizing Pavlik (although still impressed by him) for being to patient, but I felt he displayed the proper amount of patience and Pavliks corner encourages him to be patient and take his time...and he does.

The final punch in the 8th is brutal and Zertuche is done with the ref falling on him and waving it off!

Not a great fight, but a very good performance by Pavlik!

RBR not necessary Pavlik pitches a shutout 70-62 at TOS

6. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Benn v Eubank 1

Dug this one out of the archives just for the hell of it.

Is it a ‘great’ fight? It’s damn near it. A classic clash of styles, I think Eubank won this because he gradually got Benn to fight his fight.

Benn (inevitably) came out like a bull in a china shop but by the fifth round, he was fighting a much cagier fight.

I didn’t actively score it but it was about even going into the 9th, particularly with the nonsense knockdown call in the 8th against Eubank.

A word on Richard Steele - a mixed bag of a performance here imo. Apart from getting the knockdown wrong, I think he signalled that he penalised Benn a point for the low blow on Eubank in one of the earlier rounds (had the sound off so didn’t check this), which looked like a genuine low blow, although a warning would also have been possible here (but within his rights to deduct a point). Then Eubank kept crying foul from that point on but Steele was right to ignore those as it was clearly posturing from Eubank and no genuine foul.

But the stoppage? I’ve always felt it was a little premature. Sure, Benn was wobbled but he didn’t seem that bad. Maybe his eye was a factor in Steele’s mind - not sure. Interesting to note that this was the same year as the infamous Chavez-Taylor stoppage so Steele clearly didn’t feel any pressure to make the fight last longer in anticipation of any criticism.

7. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Marquez-Diaz 1

Wonderful fight and an example of what happens when a very good fighter meets a great one. Hadn't watched it since 2009 and it was just as good as I remembered it.

I had it in my head that Marquez was knocked down in this one but clearly a false memory! But it was a sensational start from Diaz, who wobbled Marquez in the second.

Ultimately, though, Marquez had more strings to his bow and he took over after the 6th with his more varied offensive arsenal.

I love watching this guy fight - he's just a wonderful fighter.

1 9-10 (scintillating opening round)
    2 9-10 (wow - more sensational action)
    3 10-9 (better quality from Marquez)
    4 10-9 (another terrific round, Marquez took over after a strong start from.Diaz)
    5 9-10 (close but Diaz edged it over second half; Marquez cut)
    6 9-10 (close again)
    7 10-9 (clearer round for Marquez)
    8 10-9 (Marquez wobbles Diaz a bit)
    9 TKO (beautiful fight-ending uppercut; no need to count)

8. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Ernesto Marcel vs Antonio Gomez

Marcel - Gomez

R1: 10 - 10
    Classic feel out round. The level of skill from both is immediately evident.
    R2: 10 - 9
    Extremely high skill level. Marcel landing.
    R3: 10 - 9
    Excellent round; skill and action. Marcel making more of it.
    R4: 10 - 9
    Gomez just not working enough.
    R5: 10 - 9
    Gomez too lazy!
    R6: 10 - 9
    Nice round. Marcel taking it on activity.
    R7: 10 - 9
    Gomez finally trying harder but it's not enough.
    R8: 9 - 10
    First round for Gomez, and even that is debatable.
    R9: 10 - 9
    Lovely right leads from Marcel catching Gomez. Lots of inside fighting and roughhousing.
    R10: 9 - 10
    Marcel slowing down this round; leading with his head again.
    R11: 10 - 9
    Scrappy round with some real good work.
    R12: 10 - 9
    Gomez fighting back but he can't keep up
    R13: 10 - 9
    Skilled inside work. Marcel in control.
    R14: 10 - 9
    Marcel on Gomez after hitting him low. Gomez trying to fight back
    R15: 10 - 9
    An uneventful final round.

TOTAL: 148 - 138 MARCEL

Notes:
    • Very Impressive performance from Marcel over a super talented world champion. Both guys showed some terrific movement, especially Marcel, who pretty much owned the fight.
    • For a slick guy, Marcel is dirtier here than I thought. Lots of leading with his head and elbows alongside his slick inverted leads.
    • Gomez was a bit flat here, but Marcel was absolutely on fire this night.
    • Slick boxing in the first half, rough inside work in the second as Gomez tried to come on.

This content is protected

9. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Jel, I did this one not too long ago. Here is how I had it.

Round 1: 10-9 Eubank
    Round 2: 10-9 Eubank (Benn was winning this round on my card until Chris hurt him late in the round and then followed up well. Enough to nick the round.)
    Round 3: 10-9 Benn
    Round 4: 10-9 Benn
    Round 5: 10-9 Eubank
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Benn
    Round 8: 10-8 Benn (Benn scores a knockdown)
    Round 9: Eubank stops Benn with about 10 seconds to go in the round

Total through 8 completed rounds: 77-75 Benn

Actual scores were 2 officials scoring 76-75 for Benn and the third official scoring it 76-75 Eubank. Good tough, close fight between two guys who really hated each other.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  10. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Miguel Canto vs Betulio Gonzalez 2

Rd. Canto : Gonzalez
    1. 10 : 9 (10-9)
    2. 10 : 9 (20-18)
    3. 10 : 9 (30-27)
    4. 10 : 9 (40-36)
    5. 10 : 9 (50-45)
    6. 10 : 9 (60-54)
    7. 10 : 9 (70-63)
    8. 10 : 9 (80-72)
    9. 10 : 9 (90-81)
    10. 10 : 9 (100-90)
    11. 10 : 9 (110-99)
    12. 10 : 9 (120-108)
    13. 9 : 10 (129-118)
    14. 9 : 10 (138-128)
    15. 10 : 9 (148-137)

Canto wins by 15 round SD.
    How the **** was this a split decision?!
    Even 13 was me being generous. Canto was a marvel, as you'd expect. He made things more difficult than they needed to be when he fought on the inside, he gave Gonzalez more opportunities imo. Gonzalez had success in spots when he found his range but it was few and far between outside of 13&14.

Anyways, Canto was a beast. Slick ass defence and some wonderful footwork.
    His right hand wasn't really used for much than holding and parrying aside from the occasional well timed right uppercut. But his left... Oh my. What a tool, that quick lead hook was near flawless, and was good at all ranges. Typical Mexican eh. His jab was awesome as well, he dominated Gonzalez with it. He also hooked off it nice and set a consistant slow pace with it.

roughdiamond likes this.
  11. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Catching up on the weekend action...

Daniel Dubois vs Kyotaro Fujimoto

Dubois - Fujimoto
    R1: 10 - 9
    Fujimoto doing nothing.
    R2: KO!
    Brilliant shot selection, beautifully timed right. Dubois truly one to watch for the future.

Notes:
    On to the actual fight of the week now, Martinez vs Roslaes...

12. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Julio Cesar Martinez Aguilar vs Cristofer Rosales
    WBC Fly Title

Martinez - Rosales

R1: 10 - 9
    Fast action! Great switching from Martinez.
    R2: 10 - 9
    Awesome round! Both men hurt.
    R3: 10 - 9
    Feinting and explosive punching. Great to watch.
    R4: 10 - 9
    Martinez taking over.
    R5: 10 - 9
    Vicious shifting body shots.
    R6: 10 - 9
    Rosales can't work into this.
    R7: 10 - 9
    Martinez beating up Rosales.
    R8: 9 - 10
    Rosales took this one!
    R9: TKO
    Brutal TKO

Notes:
    • Ever since I saw him against Charlie Edwards I thought Martinez was a special fighter. A unique, shifting footwork and explosive punching style. Quite smooth with it as well. One to watch.
    • Nice little fight. Did you catch this @PhillyPhan69?

13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    we had the same score but had 2 & 8 different. I did feel 2/8 were the only 2 rounds Rosales could have won or scored even.

14. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    You're not needed here. Offer something other than tired trolling/**** talking or get the **** out.

15. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I've always been a sucker for a Curtis Parker fight and I thought I would check out his '81 match with Wilford Scypion after seeing it first time around which I did not score. Here we go, NJ rounds basis.

Round 1: Even
    Round 2: Scypion
    Round 3: Even
    Round 4: Scypion
    Round 5: Parker
    Round 6: Scypion
    Round 7: Scypion
    Round 8: Scypion
    Round 9: Parker
    Round 10: Parker

Total: 5-3-2 Scypion

It wasn't the best fight. Scypion laid on Parker and held, forcing Parker to maul. It wasn't the prettiest but they got in their licks and there were so many rounds which were very close. To tell you how close, Harold Lederman scored it 6-3-1 and Harold never has an even round. The other scores were 5-4-1 and 7-2-1 all for Scypion. I think every one of us would come up with a different score on this one