the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Mike McCallum v Michael Watson

I didn't bother scoring this one as I was just interested in watching McCallum's performance.

It was consummate stuff from McCallum - such a smooth operator. He weathered the best Watson could throw at him over the first 6-7 rounds, while gradually applying intelligent pressure on his opponent until he ran out of steam and folded.

McCallum put his punches together so well and didn't miss much, throwing jabs, hooks, uppercuts and every other punch in the book in nice flurries. He was also putting some real venom into them and seemed the harder puncher. Watson was doing reasonably well for much of the fight but by the 8th he was no longer able to hold his own and McCallum increased his workrate in response.

An excellent performance from a great fighter.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  2. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Checked out the title bout between Sung Kil Moon and Greg Richardson. Here we go.

Round 1: 10-9 Richardson
    Round 2: 10-9 Richardson
    Round 3: 10-9 Richardson
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Moon
    Round 6: 10-9 Moon
    Round 7: 10-9 Moon
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-9 Moon
    Round 10: 10-9 Moon
    Round 11: 10-9 Richardson
    Round 12: 10-7 Moon (scores 2 knockdowns)

Total: 116-112 Moon (actual scores: 116-110 & 119-108 for Moon and a 114-114 Draw for a maj. dec. win for Moon)

I've got to hand it to Moon for his level of success in his career as well as this fight. This man was slow, clumsy, defenseless and threw clubbing punches out of awkward lunges, but he was absolutely relentless. Once Richardson could no longer stay on his bike by the 4th round, that Moon pressure took over.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I watched the Jeff Chandler v Gaby Canizales fight today. Man, you never see too many fights where there is an outstanding champ against an absolutely outstanding challenger. Most challengers never get to that 'outstanding' status anymore because they're picked out of the bunch after 10 fights to fight for the title. This bout was a hard 15 rounder.

Round 1: 10-9 Chandler
    Round 2: 10-9 Gaby
    Round 3: 10-9 Gaby
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Gaby
    Round 6: 10-9 Chandler
    Round 7: 10-9 Chandler
    Round 8: 10-9 Chandler
    Round 9: 10-9 Chandler
    Round 10: 10-10 Even
    Round 11: 10-9 Chandler
    Round 12: 10-9 Chandler
    Round 13: 10-9 Gaby (best round)
    Round 14: 10-9 Chandler
    Round 15: 10-9 Chandler

Total: 146-141 Chandler (actual scores: 148-140, 145-141, 147-140 all for Chandler)

First of all, let me just say something about referee Tony Perez. This guy was poor. I recently watched the Greg Richardson v Joichiro Tatsuyoshi fight and there was a round there where he allowed Joichiro to batter Richardson after the bell because he didn't hear the bell. As opposed to the 2nd Ali-Frazier fight where he interrupted Ali after he hurt Frazier in the 2nd round because he thought he heard the bell. Well, in the 3rd round of this fight Gaby has Jeff against the ropes where he had really all of his success and one can see he throws 2 beautiful and accurate body shots that were legally right on the belt line and Perez pulls Gaby off to warn him for a low blow, which gave Jeff the opportunity to move to mid-ring once again. The moment lost.

OK, aside from my griping about Perez, this was a damn good fight between two outstanding fighters. Enjoy.

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Planning on watching this one tonight, I'll have a scorecard for you then, Scar.

scartissue likes this.
  5. Amos-san

Amos-san Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Do you have the link of this fight? I couldn't find it

6. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Eder Jofre v Jose Medel 1

Very good fight with a couple of bonafide great rounds (5 and 9). Medel was competitive but Jofre was in control for most of the fight, apart from the 9th where Medel appeared to rock Eder a couple of times.

Jofre showed all the attributes of a great champion in this one - the ability to take a punch, to swing the momentum in his favour when he was under pressure himself and of course, the ability to close the show.

1 10-9
    2 10-9
    3 10-9 (close)
    4 10-10
    5 10-9 (fantastic round)
    6 9-10
    7 10-9
    8 10-9
    9 9-10 (another sensational round. Medel gives it everything to put Jofre away and hurts him a couple of times. Jofre connects hard with the last punch of the rounds and staggers Medel.)
    10 10-8
    (98-92)
    Jofre KO Medel

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Zab Judah SD12 Lucas Martin Matthysse

Another controversial one. Super-slick but past-his-best Zan Judah meets the younger, stronger puncher Lucas Matthysse.

Probably Judah poaches the first on the left hand, looks spritely, moving well. I definitely didn't see this fight first time around so i'm interested. Lucas is crude, beatable, but finishes his career with a comparable 140lbs resume. Difficult second round to score, I think that Lucas probably edged it with straight right hands to the body, oftenblocked or partially blocked, and a delightful little left hook below the elbow. Lucas's corner is certainly delighted after this round.

Very tough third. Zab, who is having good luck with his jab, sucks up some body shots but seems to buzz Lucas with an uppercut near the end of the round; i'm going to give it to Zab but it's arguable. I also have him taking the fourth round on the jab. He's giving Lucas different looks, still fast enough to square up defensively with a view to countering hard when he knows the shot but maybe not quite fast enough to severely punish Lucas, a fighter I guess he would have found throughout when younger. Not that he looks that old in round five, catching Lucas with a variety of punches to out-point him in his type of round, busier, with opportunity for power punching. Judah has a meaningful lead at 4-1 and the sixth and seventh are huge rounds in this fight. Lucas is investing in the body big and Judah is no spring chicken. A fade is on the cards, so Zab needs to bank rounds.

They split them which kicks the can down the road but to be honest, Lucas has just about run out of time, though he does have that equaliser. And there it is! Lucas wins the ninth, narrowly, but in the tenth a glorious straight right has Zab chicken-dancing once again, doing the moonwalk in fact, before taking a knee at the ropes, good discipline by Lucas not to hit him as he goes/when he's gone. Zab untidily tries to fight through the disaster but Lucas unperturbed. Suddenly, Lucas can win it by taking the 11th and 12th.

He does this, pretty clearly, for a 114-113 win on my card. A little unlucky not to get the nod here, but no robbery.

Judah:1,3,4,5,7,8
    Matthysse:2,6,9,10*,11,12

*Judah down.

8. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This content is protected

1983-03-13,
    BW Title

Nicasio L Drake 148-140
    Larry Hazzard 147-140
    Albert Tremari 145-141
    10 : 9
    9 : 10
    9 : 10 (46-49)
    9 : 10
    9 : 10 (94-96)
    10 : 10
    10 : 9 (
    )

I liked seeing some of the BW footage at the start, I'd never seen Herman footage before so the 10 seconds of it was better than nothing.

So, @scartissue looks like we differ. I thought it was a bit closer than you did but I agree that it was a good fight and Perez was an unnecessary interference. :thumbsup:

scartissue and roughdiamond like this.
  9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    amos, I actually saw it a few months back, but never posted it (got lost in my paperwork). I hope it wasn’t taken down but I just don’t remember if I came across it by accident written in Korean. I’ll see if I can find it later today

10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Amos, no go on this. It is either taken down or it is in another language and I just stumbled on it.

11. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Rafael Herrera v Chuco Castillo 2

Super close battle between two Mexican bantamweight greats. High technical quality throughout and good action without ever breaking into full-on warfare in my view, although the final round had some excellent exchanges.

The 5th round was short on the film I was watching and I made it even from what I saw which could make a big difference on my card given the tight scoring in almost every round.

This was the kind of fight where a split decision is almost inevitable. A point either way seems justifiable and two of the three judges agreed with that, splitting their vote by a round.

1 10-9
    2 10-9
    3 10-9
    4 9-10 (frenetic pace)
    5 10-10 (short round on video - hard to say who won so made it even)
    6 9-10
    7 9-10
    8 10-9
    9 9-10 (close)
    10 10-9 (close again)
    11 9-10
    12 10-9 (final round sums up the fight - virtually nothing between these two, but Herrera edged it)

Herrera 115-114 Castillo

scartissue and McGrain like this.
  12. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Rafael Marquez v Tim Austin

Watched this last night when I was a bit too tired so don't have many notes on this. It was a good tactical battle that broke out into a fight in the 6th and 7th before exploding in the 8th.

1 9-10 (close. Austin started well but Marquez worked his way into the round.
    2 9-10 (Marquez having some issues with the range Austin)
    3 10-9 (Marquez finding a way through with right hands)
    4 10-9
    5 9-10 (close)
    6 9-10 (heating up a bit)
    7 9-10 (some good exchanges)
    (65-68)
    8 Marquez TKO Austin

13. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    ****REPOST***

Rafael Herrera SD12 Chucho Castillo

This is a great wee scrap. The first clinch between the two is in the twelfth round, and although it takes a couple of rounds to boil up, when it reaches melting point we really have a cracking fight on our hands. It's rare to see such a wonderful fight between two guys who respect each other so much, and by round 10 they've pretty much feinted and punched each other into knots, but duke it out anyway with the fight perhaps in the balance.

Castillo dominates the first two rounds with his left hand. It's a lovely weapon, and for a while he boxes with it on a par with Kenny Buchanan or somebody like that, tossing in a beautiful short hook, not a full-blooded punch but neither is it a jab, and that's the shot he uses to dominate the first - switching to the jab in round 2. Herrera succeeds in taking this punch away from him though, with his own jab and a slight advantage in handspeed - his punches also look slightly shorter and crisper generally, nipping in often before Castillo can execute his own punch. There's absolutely no pawing though, it's a thudding weapon, and i'm surprised Castillo wasn't more busted up by this punch at the end of the fight, it watched like Chucho should have been more heavily marked up. As well as using his own jab to throw of Castillo, Herrera lands with frightening economy in the third, and Castillo looks a little unsure. For a spell of maybe 90 seconds, Herrera lands everything he throws and he has his opponents guessing. Generally the more economical man throughout, round three (also one of the fight's crucial inflection points) is in some ways his pinnacle.

Herrera adds dimensions in the fourth, winning it with aggression and short bodypunches, but he also shows a lovely radar, slipping back and adding excellent upper body and head movement to take the sting out of most of Castillo's good work. There's a real ebb and flow to this fight, and this is a round where Herrera excels at making his opponent miss, generally landing his own best shots.

His domination continues into the sixth, and Castillo looks worn out at the end of this one, but he is fighting back at the bell and again at the beginning of the seventh. By now, Herrera has nicked his jab from him, and he also gave a clinic on ditching the right, putting shoulder and glove between that punch as well as slipping and sliding to reduce impact and make his man miss altogether often. It's a clinic in regards defending the the right hand.

Castillo has problems then, and starts to try to bring Herrera on in the 8th. I love this sort of thing, these little shifts that have a seismic affect on the fight. Castillo is having more luck, but his shift gives free reign to Herrera's aggression. It leads to a really weird situation where Herrera looks less sure and lands less, but Castillo, hit up and a little tired just doesn't throw enough punches to take the rounds. If he was busier in these rounds he could have won the fight, I think. Castillo digs in again though, in nine, and starts landing his left hooks once more, often as the counter-puncher, to win his first round since the second. Castillo then goes back into the pocket, which I think might have been because he felt he was losing the fight, but that perhaps Herrera was starting to feel the pace (which is high from round 3 on, especially in the fourth).

The eleventh is a hard round and a hard round to score. I thought Castillo perhaps just, just out-fought his rival, though I could see this one appearing any one of three ways on a card. Chucho had the round in the bag for me, but looked disorganised and got tagged in the last minute, arguably evening things up. Castillo has generally had to work harder throughout to land his stuff, thrusting himself forwards or feinting and dipping to get his punches home. Herrera on the other hand has success with every punch in the book, man of them the harder shots, and when he does get into trouble, he goes back to his jab, which I think is his best shot. Both men show real art in their boxing.

I couldn't seperate them in the twelfth making my card 6-5-1 to Herrera. Offical cards were 6-5-1 and 7-4-1 to Herrera, both reasonable, and 6-5-1 Castillo, which felt like a reach to me. I admired Castillo's adaptability and bravery perhaps even more than Herrera's domination, but it felt like a Herrera victory. He landed the more hurtful stuff, and seemed to boss the fight, except when Castillo decided to fight what would become his opponents fight, whoever won the individual rounds. Also, Castillo never, ever won a round big, whereas Herrera cleanly won a handful.

But a great, great bantamweight scrap between two really excellent super-tough craftsmen.

HERRERA: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

CASTILLO: 1,2,9,10,11

EVEN: 12

14. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Timothy Bradley TD10 Devon Alexander

Two undefeated beltholders; Bradley made a million dollars for this fight. He mined his career that boy, imagine getting to fight Manny three times off the back of some bull****?

Alexander looks like he wants to toss the southpaw hook. Both are quick. Feet in hand, haha, just a little joke there. But their feet aren't getting away with them, the soutpaw problem looks like a no here. Alexander maybe a little quicker? Bradley wins the first minute with a very nice right hand. Nice one two from Alexander at the top of the second minute though. He's moving AND Bradley is stalking. Another nice right hand...very close, pretty exciting opening. Good squabbles, good refereeing. Bradley flurry at about 35 seconds remaining - probably enough to take the round.

It seems to me that Alexander isn't taxing Alexander quite enough to get indoors. But he's doing well in the second round. Throwing in little squabbles, landing one or two, this is how you make your speed matter, but Bradley is able to keep on the pressure at a cheaper price. Bradley wants Alexander's body; it's near the top of his lists.

Clash of heads in the third opens a cut on Alexander's right eyelid, not gushing, but what a bummer. Just roughhousing I think, it's accidental but kind of inevitable - probably. Bradley, aggressive throughout, looking for the left hook outside (lands a couple including a belter at 40 seconds in) to take the round clearly, too. He's fighting aggressively, violently, with little respect for Alexander. Good pressure, good fight.

Devon's feet are impressing me here, just about keeping him out of trouble through four. Good mobility very good judgement of distance and he's countering the pressure well with flurries here in the fourth which he wins for me. He's actually landing more on Bradley than Bradley is on him and this fight is up for grabs. Alexander grabs the first minute pretty clear with straights; moving off before Bradley can necessarily counter - and you know what, it's enough to bag him another good round for me, sets him in the lead for the first time. Bradley comes back strong in the sixth though, he has a good sense for a key round and that was one. All square after six.

Alexander could give a **** about his jab, just not interested. Shame.

Alexander takes the seventh, looks in command, noteworthy that the commentary team disagrees with me. Bradley pulls it all even in the eighth landing a couple of hard right hands and stealing it from Alexander who just about outworks him otherwise. Several read clashes in the eighth. Bradley outhits Alexander to take an interesting ninth. This fight (and i say this a lot) is absorbing rather than excellent but that probably means it's the type of fight that turns casuals off. And I'll never understand why, because it's beautifully poised and a fascinating clash of styles and wills.

A much more serious clash of heads spells the end of the fight though - Alexander, hurt, in distress or pretending to be in distress (give him the benefit of the doubt but it doesn't look great). If the tenth gets scored, it's even, so 5-4-1 Bradley.

BRADLEY:1,3,6,8,9,
    ALEXANDER:2,4,5,7,

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Rafael Herrera v Chucho Castillo II

What I've always noticed is that you cannot make a mistake against Castillo or he will have you on the counter punch. If you miss or leave yourself open or get complacent he will have you on the counter-punch. So this turned into a hard-punching chess match. There were a few issues with the youtube video that I was looking at, which would freeze up for a few seconds just about every round. You can hear the commentary continuing during the freeze-up and then it would start in normal time, so you miss a few seconds and in this fight with every round so close that's a bit nerve-wracking. Anyways here we go. California scoring of 1 point for a round and none for even rounds.

Herrera-Castillo II

Round 1: Even
    Round 2: Castillo
    Round 3: Herrera
    Round 4: Castillo (the video on this round was only about a minute and a half - took a leap of faith)
    Round 5: Herrera
    Round 6: Castillo
    Round 7: Castillo
    Round 8: Herrera
    Round 9: Herrera
    Round 10: Herrera (the freeze-up in this round lasted about 15 seconds)
    Round 11: Castillo
    Round 12: Even

5-5 Draw

The freeze-ups were infuriating because a fight this close can be determined by what you're missing. Round 4 and 10 were obviously an issue. BTW, I saw this fight back in 71 or 72 on about a 6 month tape delay. Saw the whole card with the exception of the Napoles v Josselin fight. Scored Herrera - Castillo 7-4 or 7-5 for Herrera back then.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.