the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Just watched a great old grudge match. From the mid '80s Mark Kaylor v Errol Christie. Real bad blood between these two that boiled over at a press conference before the fight resulting in a hearing by the BBBC. Don't recall the outcome of the hearing - possibly a fine - but the end result was a great fight. I don't like scoring a fight outside the scoring process being used, so I'm going to assume 10-9 1/2 point margins for winner and loser of a round under British scoring at the time.

Round 1: Even (both fighters score knockdowns)
    Round 2: Christie
    Round 3: Christie (scores a knockdown)
    Round 4: Kaylor
    Round 5: Kaylor
    Round 6: Kaylor
    Round 7: Christie
    Round 8: Kaylor drops Christie, who doesn't make it up in time

Total (after 7 completed rounds) 68 1/2 - 68 Christie

Despite Christie's slight lead after 7, one can see Kaylor's massive strength in clinches just taking over, although Christie's shots were still dangerous. But Kaylor wasn't fighting in spurts like Errol. He was fighting a steady war. An outstanding fight and the atmosphere had to be electric.

2. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Amir Khan UD12 Marcos Maidana

This fight is Khan's redemption. Even those who didn't like him (and there were a few) had to acknowledge the guts and skill on display here.

Not a good start for the young man, blasted with a right straight out of the gate. He boxed back well though; high on his toes, moving in when he feels he wants to work, it's not scientific but it's enough to keep Maidana confounded and during one of those surging attacks he lands an absolutely monstrous body shot, fast, winging dig to the body. Maidana takes a count and is clearly troubled even on his stool between rounds. Wonderful first round, worth a re-visit that round for anyone who doesn't remember it. Replay shows him move the ribcage back and forth, delicious left uppercut.

Khan goes back to boxing in the second, but hurts Maidana again and chases him to the ropes - real patience though, this is nice. Khan is absolutely controlling the space between them with footwork but now he's hurt Maidana and the Argentine doesn't look as desperate to pressure his man as his fight plan dictates. Khan could slow down - he could move less, but he doesn't read that, he's just doing what Roach told him which is both good and bad. Another great round for the Englishman.

Third foreshadows the late rounds. Khan gets hit hard and suddenly they are fulfilling opposite roles, Maidana controlling the range, Khan scrambling for control. Khan looks rattled and does not box well in the remainder of the round, Bambi running, going through the motions at the range for fighting, suddenly lost a step. Rattled. He was rattled too in the sixth, after winning the fourth and fifth going away, hurt and chased, these moments of danger are what made Khan so interesting. He's interesting again in the seventh, worse, in a way, than being hurt and rattled, he's succumbing to the pressure. He's tiring a bit and looking ragged on the retreat, and the retreat is the fight.

Knowing what's coming I'm beginning to wonder about my card. Khan needs the eighth I think. Takes it too, though it's ragged and closer, Maidana is the one who looks tired now. Very good fight.

The disastrous tenth unfolds for Khan in slow motion. Maidana, who looks like a beaten man catches Khan with a winging right hand going away lazy. Another one is followed by an uppercut and two jabs as Maidana literally runs after him. He looks busted with more than half of the round to go, Khan pushing him off, mitts high, holding, darting, Maidana animals him. Somehow - and i'm not sure how - Khan makes it to the end of the round. It's a clear 10-8 round. Why he didn't take a knee I'll never know, pretty Mexican that. The referee warns him that he will be rescued if there's a repeat in the eleventh.

Khan runs. No other word for it - and it's the right thing to do. Stands a bit more in the twelfth which is untidy and difficult and Maidana takes on the pressure and slugging. Which means I have it to Khan - the point Joe Cortez removed fo the elbow the difference for me!

KHAN:1*,2,4,5**,8,9.
    MAIDANA:3,6,7,10^,11,12.

*Maidana down off a bodyshot.
    **Maidana has a point off for throwing the elbow and hitting the referee :lol:
    ^10-8 round for Maidana who just kicked the **** of Khan in this round.

113-112 Khan.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Pretty good fight that. Pretty sure it was the first I ever uploaded to youtube as well.

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah it wasn't too bad. Nice to see some rare Veeraphol footage, and it's cool to see how he developed a different style after the 'incident' with Nana.

5. Flea Man

Sep 7, 2008
    The Konadu one was just an anomaly IMO, he wasn't like that before or after. I think he just got over excited.

Not that he hadn't been punched out before, Samson did in Muay Thai. But generally Veeraphon was a cerebral guy, patient, good timing and excellent at making reads on his opponents and catering his punch selection accordingly.

6. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah, I tend to think it was a mix of inexperience (in boxing, at any rate) and underrated how good Nana was. The version who took on Tatsuyoshi would've beaten him imo.

Yeah, Sahaprom was a surgical tactician. The way he took Joichiro and Nishioka (in the fourth, obviously) is a testimony to that.

7. Flea Man

Sep 7, 2008
    Yeah the fouth one is the best for me, excellent use of the right hand

8. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Scored the 1953 Joey Giardello v Gil Turner fight last night. Oh, man, did they go at it. Wish the video was crisper, however. Scored on the rounds basis.

Round 1: Even
    Round 2: Giardello
    Round 3: Turner
    Round 4: Turner
    Round 5: Turner
    Round 6: Turner
    Round 7: Giardello
    Round 8: Giardello
    Round 9: Giardello
    Round 10: Giardello

Total: 5-4-1 Giardello (actual scores: 7-3, 5-3-2 and 7-2-1 all for Giardello)

The writeup I saw on this suggested the wheels came off Turner's chasis after a nasty right in the 7th, but I didn't see that. In fact, I think Turner upped his output after that, but so did Joey. He wasn't sitting back just to counter, which made for a thrilling fight in the later rounds. Rounds 8 and 10 were exceptional.

Flea Man, George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  9. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    [QUOTE="scartissue, post: 20460634, member: Rounds 8 and 10 were exceptional.[/QUOTE]

Exceptional in a 'they could be added to the greatest 15 rounds of all time thread' sort of a way?

EDIT: just seen you've already recommended it to Pat!

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Saintpat likes this.
  10. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Finally got round to watching this one last night George. Wow - tremendous battle!

Excellent all the way through but my god, round 8 - that is definitely a genuine contender for @Saintpat's greatest round 8 thread.

11. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Exceptional in a 'they could be added to the greatest 15 rounds of all time thread' sort of a way?[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I wish it was a better film though. The very animated announcer is talking about the cuts over both of Giardello's eyes and I couldn't make out either of them. I'll bet it would have been something at ringside for this, because the Philly fans were loving it.

12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    This content is protected

WBO title up for grabs, Loma tying Saensak's record. Personally I thought he deserved it in the Saldio fight, but oh well. Loma was aggressively matched early on, I like it. Nice way of getting the max out of his scintillating talent. One of the Lomas best wins, this, IMO. Third actually, behind Campbell and Linares. Jesus, I didn't realize how far back this was. Before Canelo/Lara? Damn. Oi and **** Jack Reiss. He didn't even do anything wrong, I just don't like him.

Not hard to score IMO, a couple swing rounds (4&9) but however you score them it was a clear Loma win. Lomachenko out-landed him by 100 punches. :lol:

10 : 9
    9 : 10
    9 : 10 (38/38)
    10 : 9 (77/75)
    10 : 9 (
    )

Interesting watching how Loma has come on, coz he's obviously improved. It's also interesting to note how his style has changed, since as he moved up in weights he didn't have the facilities to out-box on the back-foot (T-Rex arms...) and shows his versatility here. The third interesting thing was seeing just where Loma (or more likely his trainer) has gotten his inspiration from. You can see the Fitzsimmons Shift, you can see Canizales' movement, you can see the old school milling and the Willie Pep-esc footwork/head-movement mixture. He's took plenty of pieces of gigantic puzzle and put his own spin on the result.

Punch perfect execution of his game plan. Feints and counters killed the body, and slowed Russell down. Once he'd been slowed down Loma showed just how far the gulf between them was. I love Loma's inside game, sooooooo good when he shifts into position and let's loose those Left Uppercuts and Right Hooks.

Jel and scartissue like this.
  13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’ll have some time next week and on my agenda are Holmes-Weaver, maybe a couple of Pipino Cuevas fights (Randy Shields is interesting) and maybe pick a good Frank Fletcher war or two.

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

A few fights later at this point, and 4lbs higher up. Loma wins a title in his 2nd weight class in 7 fights. History making achievement, but actually a pretty 'meh' win. Another win over a champion though, so not all bad. By my count, Loma has beaten 10 champions in 15 fights... staggering. 11 if he got the nod over Siri, which he should've imo.

)
    Lomachenko KO5

Jesus Christ, what a KO! In fact, what a performance!

Against an orthodox, you can see his matrix footwork and shifting. You can also see him squaring up and putting more power in his shots.

15. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

An underrated win, over a genuine puncher. Loma takes him to school by all accounts; I've never seen this one before. This was the start of the 'NoMasChenko' 4 quit in a row reign.

10 : 9 (40/36)
    )

Loma took a power-punching behemoth to school here, and made the bigger guy completely useless. He shuffled around Walters' lead and started to work the body and break through his guard. Loma's defence on offence completely negated everything Walters wanted to do. He couldn't land and was getting beaten up by something as tangible as smoke. Lomachenko's strengths aren't even at full fruition yet! He's not even incorporated his nasty array of feints info his offence yet, that came a little bit later.

Something which Jones and Kellerman touched on is that Lomachenko did was nullify Walters' biggest strength (his straight right) with his footwork and smarts.

I wouldn't have said the Axeman was going to quit, but from the look on his face going to the corner, the writing was on the wall. The 7th round was turning into a beatdown too. Not to mention the little taunts at the end.