the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This content is protected

Awesome little fight that I'd only ever seen in parts, nice rewatch and a good performance from a green Sweet Pea. Whitaker very gung-ho here, he took it straight to Roger and worked on the inside most of the night.

10 : 8*
    10 : 9
    10 : 9 (40/35)
    10 : 9 (80/71)
    8 : 10
    9 : 10
    10 : 9 (
    )

*Absolutely brilliant 2 punch combination, a pristine right hook, then a sickening overhand both landed with frightening accuracy.

*Awesome counter right from Roger, made Sweet Pea stagger to the floor.

Some of the infighting action was really fun, both men going to the body and working uppercuts, but Sweet Pea's, quicker hands and elusive head-movement let him take liberties and land more. He also had a noticeably higher workrate. Once Mayweather landed that counter, Whitaker changed strategy and dominated the fight from the outside with his father feet, 1-2 and counter-punching.

The referee even got in on the action...

88Chris05 and roughdiamond like this.
  2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Joe Calzaghe v Mikkel Kessler

Two quality and classy operators, one with some extra dimensions and hustle, the other a little one dimensional. It started as a good, absorbing battle but turned into a bit of a procession by the end. The best win and performance of Calzaghe's career against a very credible opponent who would show he had more left in the tank later on.

1 10-10 (close, cagey opener)
    2 10-9 (Joe edges it with the final flurry of the round)
    3 10-9 (first clear round of the fight)
    4 9-10 (good, solid work from Kessler taking advantage of some flailing from Calzaghe to land direct shots through the middle)
    5 10-9 (close - absorbing tactical battle)
    6 10-9 (excellent jab and footwork by Calzaghe to control the round)
    7 10-9 (close, Kessler landed the best combo of the round, Calzaghe otherwise controlled much of it but some good exchanges and action)
    8 10-9 (Calzaghe showing good aggression)
    9 10-9
    10 10-9 (closer. Good combo from Kessler but the more steady work from Calzaghe)
    11 10-9 (masterful control of distance by Calzaghe. He's having fun in there now)
    12 9-10 (Kessler lets his hands go finally - where was that three or four rounds earlier?!)

Calzaghe 118 - 111 Kessler

3. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Marco Antonio Barrera v Kennedy McKinney

God, I love this fight! This one really has everything you could want in a fight - loads of clean, two-way action, shifts of momentum and a bit of controversy thrown in for good measure. One of my 20 favourite fights ever.

1 10-9 (great start)
    2 10-9
    3 9-10 (beautiful slipping and countering from McKinney)
    4 9-10 (another excellent round from McKinney, Barrera comes back at the end)
    5 10-10 (cracking back and forth, clean action)
    6 10-9 (sensational round!)
    7 10-9 (Barrera looks like he might overwhelm McKinney but to his immense credit, he comes back to nearly take a share of the round)
    8 10-7 (huge round for Barrera with two knockdowns)
    9 10-8 (McKinney, still in recovery mode from the previous round, suffers another knockdown and now has a mountain to climb)
    10 9-10 (remarkable turnaround and McKinney gets Barrera in trouble before the ref intervenes mid-action to replace a gum shield and break McKinney's momentum - terrible call)
    11 8-10 (flash knockdown makes up a little for the injustice of previous round)
    (105-101)
    12 Barrera TKO McKinney

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  4. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Has anyone ever found a HD rip of this fight? I'd love for someone like @Mario040481 to find a 720p +, 60 fps version like he somehow has before for other bouts.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  5. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Watched a true classic today between Kid Gavilan and Gil Turner. Wow! These two really let it rip for the paying audience. Scored on a rounds basis.

Round 1: Turner
    Round 2: Gavilan
    Round 3: Turner
    Round 4: Turner
    Round 5: Gavilan
    Round 6: Turner
    Round 7: Even
    Round 8: Turner
    Round 9: Even
    Round 10: Gavilan
    Round 11: Gavilan stops Turner

Total (through 10 completed rounds): 5-3-2 Turner (actual scores were one score of 6-4 for Gavilan and two scores of 5-5 Even)

This was a terrific fight with several wild exchanges during the 5th and 6th especially. With both heads of processed hair flying and both throwing flashy bolos, these two went at it good. Gavilan suddenly found a home for his sharp left hook in the 10th round and it was like a light bulb went off. He realized he couldn't miss with it, never let up with it and rattled Gil in the 10th and finished him in the 11th. Incidentally, I read after viewing it that the ref cited Turner for a low blow in the 5th. They had an odd way of dealing with deductions back then. They would simply take the round away from the offender and give it to the recipient of the foul. In this case I had Gavilan winning the 5th, so nothing else is done because he won the round anyway. Strange looking at it without a point deduction from the total but that is how it was done back then

6. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    It's one of my favorites for sure. Gavilan takes Turner out to deep water and drowns him.

scartissue and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Gerry Penalosa vs Jhonny Gonzalez.

1: 10 - 10 (Penalosa excellent. Losing until final shots though)
    2: 9 - 10 (Jhonny keeping it long)
    3: 9 - 10 (Jhonny faster on feet. Nice finish)
    4: 9 - 10 (Jhonny working. Penalosa cutting him off)
    5: 9 - 10 (Penalosa not working)
    6: 9 - 10 (Jhonny working, but Penalosa notices 'the shot')
    7: KO

TOTAL: 60 - 55 GONZALEZ
    • Brilliant KO shot to the body. Penalosa saw saw the shot set up in the 6th. Patient in the 7th, then countered with a brutal and perfectly placed body shot, after losing the entire fight. A shame for Gonzalez though.
    • Clip of the final round @George Crowcroft. Watch this body shot.

8. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Philly, I watched this fight today - not to score (hate partial fights when scoring) - but just to watch/enjoy and take in the two combatants on the footage available. Man, I would love to see this in its entirety. Herrera was so strong - one of the strongest I've seen at 118 - and his left hook to the body is underrated. And Borkorsor, wow, his left counter just seemed to zero in on Herrera's face like it was laser-guided. He had to be a monster at flyweight. Man, if all 15 rounds of this contest ever show up, I'm there.

9. Mario040481

Mario040481 Member Full Member

Mar 27, 2019
    Someone who no longer has a channel did have a 1080p version on youtube a yr or so back, and i probably have it on a hard drive that I don't have the ability to hook up at the moment. I believe Rich Murieta did the commentary solo. It is the international english feed I imagine, the version that would be shown on ESPN classic boxing. it was pretty clean, but not 60 fps

10. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    roughdiamond likes this.
  11. Mario040481

Mar 27, 2019
    If youve the ability to read or translate chinese script, this channel at the following chinese video hoster site is pretty damn awesome. The biggest issue is, according ro a friends gf who translated some finer details, you have to have a Chinese phone number to set up the level of account which allows one to watch videos in 60fps. I think you have to create an account to watch 720p, but that is just a standard account and isn't hard or dangerous to do, again, Google chrome is the way to go though as they translate the easiest in my opinion. Seriously though, this guy has some ridiculously clean looking fights, a few of which i ripped and upped on my channel. Actually, it is where I came across the only version of Hopkins vs Trinidad in 720 60fps
    https://space.bilibili.com/357243789?spm_id_from=333.788.b_765f7570696e666f.2

roughdiamond likes this.
  12. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Froch vs Dirrell

1: Froch
    2: Froch
    3: Dirrell
    4: Dirrell
    5: Dirrell
    6: Dirrell
    7: Froch
    8: Froch
    9: Froch
    10: Even
    11: Dirrell
    12: Froch

Total scor 114-113 to Froch

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    roughdiamond and Jel like this.
  13. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    GTFO @lufcrazy put your score at the end.

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  14. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Minimal.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    What annoys me more than the lack of a total score, is the space-mark between 11 and the colon.

****ing disgrace.

Jel likes this.