the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I remember scoring that one 8-4 for Starling myself, but also remember it being kind of tedious.

scartissue likes this.
  2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Ivan Robinson v Arturo Gatti

Another FOTY for Gatti but no come-from-behind heroics quite this time. Robinson boxes well and is generally too slick for Gatti but Arturo wins his three rounds more memorably with the knockdown in round 4, wobbling Robinson in the 6th and then big time in the 10th. No doubt about the decision though.

1 10-9
    2 10-9
    3 10-9
    4 8-10 (Surprising knockdown by Gatti swings the momentum)
    5 10-10 (tough round to score - great back and forth action)
    6 9-10 (close. Robinson battered Gatti and then was stunned and looked like he was trying to stand on ice. Swing round)
    7 10-9
    8 10-9
    9 10-9
    10 9-10 (Robinson looks out on his feet a couple of times)

Robinson 96 - 94 Gatti

Robinson wins 6 rounds to 3 with 1 even

3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    If I can find time I’m going to do a Brian Mitchell rewind and at least catch a couple of his fights. Brilliant tactician who wasn’t flashy but had a remarkable run of on-the-road wins.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Watched a terrific little 10 rounder today between two undefeated hotshots in their day. Oba Carr v Pedro Sanchez. I always liked an Oba Carr fight. It was always plenty of action at a high skill level. Here we go.

Round 1: 10-9 Carr (scores a knockdown)
    Round 2: 10-9 Carr
    Round 3: 10-8 Sanchez (scores a knockdown
    Round 4: 10-9 Carr
    Round 5: 10-9 Sanchez
    Round 6: 10-9 Carr
    Round 7: 10-9 Carr
    Round 8: 10-9 Sanchez
    Round 9: 10-9 Sanchez
    Round 10: 10-9 Carr

Total: 95-94 Carr (actual scores: 95-95 Even and 2 scores of 96-93 and 97-91 both for Carr for a majority win)

First of all let me talk about that first round. Automatically I follow suit with the referee. If he scores a knockdown the judge is obligated to. However, in this instance, it appeared to be up to the judges if they agree or disagree. I recall a rule in the amateurs the same way. So in this instance, I disagreed calling Sanchez down in the first. I didn't think it was a knockdown, but some might. But I thought Carr took the round anyway for a 10-9. The rest of the fight was fought very well and I do recommend this, fought at a terrific pace.

salsanchezfan likes this.
  5. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Toshiaki Nishioka UD12 Rafael Marquez

All Japanese commentary! Yes, yes please. WHAT THE **** ARE YOU BOYS SAYING. Nobody knows. You know when the Japanese has landed though, holy ****. Marquez starts with a feint and then throws five jabs without Tosh chucking a punch. This opens him up for a straight to the body; Tosh replies with a straight to the body of his own. You can see Tosh really respects his man and wants to look at him.

What i'm most interested in here is hoe much Rafael has left. He's shown me in the first and the opening of the second that he will have to be mastered at the very least. He's not going to just "get beat".

There's something wreckless about the way Nishioka throws the left, he dips, moves his weight over his front leg and slashes it across even, it's pretty quick though - however, i can't help but wonder what Marquez would have done against this punch some four or five years previously. Probably something very awful. Nisioka's speed tells in the second. I like the battle of the jabs here. Rafael probably throws with more meaning, Tosh's is more feeling for openings and staying busy, often seems aimed straight at Marquez's own jabbing hand. That the Japanese is interested in the trailing left more than the southpaw jab is clear but they still are duking it out for jabbing control. Hard to judge who wins this contest because Rafael is landing more jabs but Tosh is opening him up to the body for that right with his own left. This is a tough fight to score here in the early going.

Rafael is doing the better work then they get inside and the wee exchanges they had there decided the fourth. Outside their still both tentative and hit and miss. Nisioka is more hit than miss with the trailing left to Marquez's body in the fifth. He gets this punch off quickly despite the weirdness with which he sometimes throws it and it lands stiff. The same punch brings him a close sixth as it includes his landing one of these as the best punch of the fight, a headshot. I have it all square after six.

Logs of variety on this straight/overhand left. It is the punch that has Marquez thinking. Tosh takes the lead for the first time in the fight by winning the seventh. He has a great eighth, just moving around Marquez in small increments, landing that straight - but a clash of heads opens a cut on his scalp that is bleeding quite heavily and brings Marquez hard charging him with compact shots in some volume. It's an alarming moment for the Japanese, who stays very cool, guard up, ready to counter-punch. I gave a very close round to Marquez but it could easily go either way.

In the tenth and eleventh, finally, Rafael starts to look old. IN fact these two are the same ages give or take a couple of months, but Rafael has far and away more wear on him and that's what's showing up now. Tosh neatly out-fights, out-works the great Rafael in these two rounds and they win him the fight. In the twelfth they clash heads for a second time - the only sign these two give of any southpaw-orthodox awkwardness - and Rafel fires off, a brilliant but far from desperate attempt to rescue the fight. It's a crackling but controlled twelfth that could have gone either way, but I've given it to Rafael on the nostalgia.

Tosh continues to name Rafael the best he's ever faced skillwise; Rafael would have cut him in half a few years earlier. But Tosh is a compelling character with an interesting style and one of the better left crosses this century. A good fight.

115-113 Nishioka

Nishioka:2,5,6,7,9,10,11.
    Marquez:1,3,4,8,12.

Official: 115-113, 116-112, 117-111.

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Toshiaki Nishioka UD12 Rendall Munroe

I remember this one very well, there was a limited buzz for Munroe over here.

Pretty much a technical mis-match. It's notable for Munroe's bravey though and also for the relative freedom with which Tosh operates on the inside, he clearly feared or respected Rafael too much to get too busy in there in that fight. Delightful half-jab, feinted left-straight supplanted for a right uppercut in the third. Munroe has a good fourth though, probably takes it, introducing his own trailing left to good affect, Tosh making space for himself in this round and holding on by the end.

The rest of the fight is something of a parade.

Munroe:1,4.
    Nishioka:2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12.

118-110 Nishioka.

Official: 119-109x3

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This content is protected

Interesting fight to score. Two guys who both get overrated IMO, but who are brilliant to watch.

10 : 9
    9 : 10
    9 : 10 (38/38)
    9 : 10 (74/78)
    10 : 9 (
    )

I know Scar and Rough had this pretty close on their cards, I didn't. Although that's not to say I didn't think it was a close fight. Every round was close, but I felt pretty confident in who I was giving each round to. Although the ones you won't hear any argument from me for are: 8, 11 and 12.

Vasquez landing counters early; Canizales more active, bouncing around and moving. TBH, through three both were boxing within themselves. Canizales opened up more and found his range, around the fourth round and he took over for at least four more rounds before it became super close. Eight was a toss up, Canizales put Vasquez on the back-foot in the ninth. Vasquez took advantage of being placed on the back-foot, and started out boxing Canizales. Orlando out-worked him in eleven, but Vasquez landed the harder shots. Same again in the twelfth.

Through the mid to late-rounds, the action was pretty heated. Decent fight.

Technically, Canizales was a little whirlwind. His punching form was near-perfect, he had a beautiful defence and absolutely outstanding foot-work. My favourite thing he does is how he turned his neck with the punches, and came back with his short right uppercuts.

Vasquez tried everything here, but he just didn't pull everything together IMO. He neglected his jab for rounds on end, didn't put his punches together consistently and just looked one-note throughout. Both looked old, but Vasquez looked ancient IMO.

scartissue and roughdiamond like this.
  8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

Needed to watch this trilogy, it's been on my list for a long, long time. I'm expecting a tremendous performance here.

10 : 9 (40/36)
    10 : 9 (80/72)
    10 : 8
    10 : 6
    )

I mostly don't believe in 'pity' rounds, if you didn't actually do enough to win the round, I'm not giving it you. That said, I don't think Torres did too well for whole rounds, but he did have patches of success when Chang stood his ground and exchanged at mid-range. I hope that's what the entire rematch is like.

And wow! I wasn't disappointed, there was so many layers to this performance. Chang executed a brilliant game plan to near-perfection. He'd circle to his right, so he could come over Torres' jab, then after he connected he'd stay inside but revert to a high-guard to block Torres' return. Then he'd pivot out to his right or left, if he making sure to keep Torres' opposite arm pinned. When he went left, he'd pull Torres' upper-body down, and nail his ribs, back and anything he could really get a clean shot on with his right hand. When he went right, he'd do the same but instead of pulling Torres down, he'd let Torres hold his right arm, almost shutting Torres into a shell coz his arms were out of position and Chang had unhindered access to all punching paths which his left hand could reach. Brilliant stuff. At the end of each round, Chang abandoned this stuff and just let loose with combinations, and let Torres come back. Awesome exchanges, and I think it was to make sure he won the round emphatically. He engaged much more late, as he had Torres hurt consistently.

This is one of those performances where someome completely shuts someone down whilst fighting on the front-foot. Think Napoles vs Cokes, but not as buttery.

roughdiamond likes this.
  9. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Where did you watch? It got removed when I wanted to re-download it from youtube. Looked for ****ing ages, as it is such a great performance. Has it been re-uploaded?

10. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah but it's in parts.

One:

Two:

roughdiamond likes this.
  11. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Thanks mate. I'll download now, and make a little card tomorrow.

12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    No problem, you might wanna check that channel out. Quite the goldmine. Especially for Chang, they have fights I didn't think were recorded and/or could never find. I haven't looked in the other playlists yet, but I think there's some more good stuff.

roughdiamond likes this.
  13. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Damn they have Napoles Backus 2 and Chang vs Ursua! Definitely subbing now. Might see if I can back some of them up before they get removed again.

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah, definitely some rare tapes. I actually found it by accident, and thought I'd catch up with them.

roughdiamond likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

If I'm not mistaken this is the slugfest of the trilogy? I hope so...

9 : 10 (39/37)
    9 : 10 (77/75)
    )

Great fight! This was a slugfest, albeit not quite as a electrifying as I expected. Oh well, I guess that's my fault for assuming all Chang fights look like the Tokashiki one. Scoring wasn't that hard, but probably not something you'd call straight forward. There were some highly debatable rounds here, particularly: 4, 5, 7 and 11. I didn't see this one as overly controversial.

I think the key difference between these two was that Chang had mug better control of range. Even in the shape he came in for this one, he could still completely dictate the range the fight was fought at, and so could dictate everything else via proxy.

Lots of respect between these two, as well. That's always great to see.

scartissue and WhataRock like this.