the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Moore vs Bivins

I actually thought Bivins looked really good in this fight, he fought superbly off the back foot and held his own when mixing it up close.

Moore does his usual stalking game, keeping his defence tight, but pressuring with the feet, hoping to capitalise on an opening.

Rounds 7 and 8 are missing.

Moore has upped his activity levels though and is forcing Bivins into more exchanges.

One of which seems to result in an uppercut that I think turns into a temple shot, which Bivins is unable to shake as he drops to the mat.

Fight is waved off in between rounds.

Unsure what the score was at the time of the stoppage but Bivins looked to be in control of the rounds I saw.

2. Henry Hank

Henry Hank Mexicans Run Houston Full Member

Aug 30, 2019
    From my memory i would say the second fight against Harold Weston.
    Wilfred did quite some work against the ropes against an opponent with underrated skills . Not a great action fight but world class stuff from both guys i think its worth the watch.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    This content is protected

John's thread on this made me want to watch it, and I never had before.

10 : 9
    10 : 8
    10 : 9*
    9 : 10* (49/45)
    9 : 10*
    10 : 9 (98/91)
    10 : 9*
    9 : 10* (
    )

Some intense stare downs in between the early rounds but around four, they'd gained packed that it, and clearly had respect for one another. Both men looked like they were enjoying themselves here, grins all round. After being cut in the seventh, Benitez was a bit more aggressive and fought with a bit more urgency. Round nine was excellent. Leonard hurt Benitez in the eleventh, and out-worked him over the final third of the fight. Round 15 was my favourite round, though. It was constant fighting throughout.

Rounds 4, 5, 6, 12 and 14 were the most difficult rounds to score IMO. I split them based on who I thought landed cleanest. I had this a lot wider than most, and aside from the aforementioned five, I can't really see the rounds you give to Benitez either. I've always thought the stoppage was a bit premature, Benitez could probably have saw out the final ten seconds. I know there's stories about bets on the fight not going the distance, and the vid I was watching saw Bob Arum talk about this, and it mentioned that this was the same ref who let the Thrilla in Manilla go as long as it did. I think it may be a bit suspicious.

Very good defence from Benitez, as you'd expect. He was sneaky, exchanging jabs with Leonard as to present an opening for a fight hand, which he'd slip and counter with another jab. He'd have done it all night but Leonard caught on. Still, he remained elusive, and used an excellent jab. He was just in with a better guy, and you could really tell.

Leonard was absolutely on fire here. Excellent showing. Benitez kept his jab going all night and Leonard parries it endlessly, and shows good head-movement of his own. In a jabbing match, Leonard wanted a but of snap on that lead-hand, so he planted his left foot, angled towards the outside, and got a lot of power of it. It actually reminded me of Mike Spinks at times. Leonard was just too damn fast here, he used his longer reach and quicker hands to land that jab first, and Benitez couldn't deal with it. Then came the combinations, which scored and hurt Benitez.

Bujia and JohnThomas1 like this.
  4. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Cheers, Hank. Somehow I knew you'd have something for me.

Henry Hank likes this.
  5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Great stuff mate. I agree with your wider card too. I thought Leonard dominated.

6. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Guillermo Rigondeaux SD12 Ricardo Cordoba

Rigo's big step up against the much more experienced Ricardo Cordoba ranked 5 or 6, I forget; Rigo's victory dropped him into the rankings where he would remain for the entirety of the rest of the decade and where he remains still. Pretty spooky stuff. Rigo was just 6-0 when he picked up one of boxing's more meaningless straps in this fight.

He looks very relaxed, that's the most noteworthy thing about Rigo, just looks like he belongs, gently following Cordoba about, no stress, marches a bit with the right hand lower, looks a bit like Jones in that. Wants to hook. Cordoba just moving away, trying to draw him out of his stance, jab. Rigo is a minimalist. His footwork is a study of economy. He's not wasting any punches. He wants to bring pressure, force punches, counter. Cordoba also seems to want to counter...Rigo is so very good at slipping, it's rather glorious actually, not to oversell this fight which is dull through three. In the fourth he lands a beautiful hook to the body, the gumsheild is pushed out, he takes an 8 or a 9, Rigo lands a beezer of a straight to the body which he pursues for the rest of the round.

Rigo overshoots in the fifth, he's aggressively pursuing the stoppage. Cordoba throws warning shots - he is swinging hard when Rigo comes in with less control. Rigo is all the way in in the sixth landing tight uppercuts. He lifts his shoulder, allows Cordoba to work - he's accepted the counter-punching thing is a bad idea now - and counters across himself. And he's actually flashed in this round. He's just suddenly dropped, completely unhurt. Seems cross about it, just a glove on the canvas after a hard jab on the chin, comes out throwing but he's backfoot jabbing within twenty seconds. Cordoba assumes control.

That KD has made for a bad fight maybe; Rigo is looking to hold in close and is looking to jab the belly form the outside. You know the fight has gone a little wrong when you feel like watching Manny and Margarito having their hands wrapped is being interrupted by the rounds. Cordoba remains the general into the eighth though, he's arguably not out-punching Rigo but he's so in control of the ring and what is coming back is not special - so Cordoba sneaks the round for me. This fight is being stood on its head by a single jab.

Rigo stops the rot in the tenth and Cardoba needs both the eleventh and twelfth on my card for the draw.

Cordoba:6^,7,8,9,11.
    Rigondeaux:1,2,3,4*,5,10.

*Cordoba down
    ^Rigondeaux down

114-112 Rigondeaux

Official: 114-112, 117-110, 112-114.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  7. Jester

Jester Active Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Benitez-Cervantes
    Round 1: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 2: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 3: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 4: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 5: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 6: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 7: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 8: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 9: 10-10 even
    Round 10: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 11: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 12: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 13: 9-10 Benitez
    Round 14: 10-10 even
    Round 15: 9-10 Benitez

147-140 Benitez

Probably the most impressive performance by a teenager on film. Benitez was facing an ATG champion and looked by far the more experienced man. His defense was excellent and the way he slipped punches as they were inches from his face was just superb. Pretty surprising that Benitez had to settle for a split decision on home turf, Cervantes had his moments but Benitez was a dominant winner.

8. Amos-san

Amos-san Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2020
    He lost his legs in Palomino fight. I read that he was tired or so. That's Why he fought this way. Maybe Girls/disneylands/parties finally caught him in this fight =)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

Per Hank's recommendation. Really wanted to get to this one today. This wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but it was a really good fight which had a lot of what I wanted.

9 : 10
    10 : 9 (49/46)
    10 : 9 (98/92)
    10 : 9 (
    )

Don't get me wrong, this was a good competitive fight, but Benitez landed cleaner in more rounds than he didn't. And I've really started to value this in my scoring recently. Weston came straight forward all night and gave El Radar some scares, with his workrate, skills and style, but Benitez took over once he found his rhythm and got his timing down.

Benitez's work off the ropes is so fun for me to watch. I love it. He actually did it a lot here, and exchanged a lot with Weston. His timing was amazing here, really on fire. His jab looked as good as ever and he nailed Harold with some really nasty right hands.

Damn, if Weston fought this aggressively vs Cuevas like the commentary team said, then I need to check that one out. He reminded me a little bit of Napoles actually, with his compact punching and tidy aggression, although he didn't counter of the front-foot like Napoles did. Or at all. Some of the issues he presented here, kinda tell me why he was able to get a draw in the first fight.

Very good technical fight, a fun chess match with some beautiful moves from Benitez.

Henry Hank likes this.
  10. Henry Hank

Henry Hank Mexicans Run Houston Full Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Top post mate.
    Btw Cuevas vs Weston is pretty good.

11. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Cuevas mangled him, from memory.

12. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Guillermo Rigondeaux UD12 Nonito Donaire

Huge fight. It's forgotten now I think just how big it was, it was crazy the build up to this fight. They are toe to toe, orthodox and southpaw early, literally their toes and lead gloves touching - Rigo taps on Donaire's glove, Donaire starts to tap back. They are right in range and Rigondeaux is winning this argument with the left hand - lands a very good right hook, too. He seems the faster fighter. The second round is closer but Rigo finds the harder punch to poach the close round. He's circling now, tight, but mobile, inviting Donaire on who is looking for the body shot. He extends his left and looks for the single shot, right hand or left, but leading with the right in the third. Rigo is beginning to run away with a tense, absorbing fight.

Rigo is something of a rhythm-buster, all truly quality fighters are, but even for a quality fighter he excels at this. Herky-jerky movement,reads punches well, hops and steps with his opponent's shots, punishes them when they're off-balance, makes a jab of almost any punch - it's a heady brew for keeping a man from his best rhythm. Donaire is getting absolutely nowhere. Four was a great round though, the final minute was madness.

I have Donaire six down after six. Rigo is landing more punches and the better punches.

I'd say Donaire finally gets a round in the seventh though; he lands a pair of left hands, mostly, inside, coming a little square against Rigo going away. Rigo gets caught flat-footed basically and you immediately see Rigo how he appears to normal fighters. It's a victim's statement, but it's wonderful to watch Rigo feint Donaire out of position with such great ease. It's also nice to see Donaire win another round - in the tenth, he discomforted Rigo with pressure and physicality and finally landed a hard left hook. Rigo is down and on the run.

That's it for The Flash though, the big tenth the end of the affair. Rigo places himself right back in the box seat in the eleventh and wins the twelfth by a mile, out boxing, out hitting, and out thinking his great opponent.

A very special, inexplicably underrated performance. 1 v 2 matches are rarely so one-sided. It was embarrassing.

Rigondeaux:1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,11,12.
    Donaire:7,10*,

*Rigo down.

13. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    George and SalSanchez, I finally got around to this. Here we go:

Round 1: 10-9 Greg
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Greg
    Round 4: 10-9 Paz
    Round 5: 10-9 Paz
    Round 6: 10-9 Paz
    Round 7: 10-9 Paz
    Round 8: 10-9 Greg
    Round 9: 10-9 Greg
    Round 10: 10-9 Greg
    Round 11: 10-9 Paz
    Round 12: 10-9 Paz
    Round 13: 10-9 Greg
    Round 14: 10-9 Greg
    Round 15: 10-10 Even

Total: 144-143 Haugen (actual scores: 144-141 twice and 144-142 all for Paz)

Tough fight to score for some of the reasons already mentioned. Haugen didn't have the workrate that Paz had, but one needs a pasta colander to separate Vinnie's substance from flash and shoeshining, which was ample throughout the contest. One way he continually negated Haugen's more accurate punching was his repeated body-block throughout the contest that put Greg on the defensive against the ropes. I agree what was mentioned, a draw would have been the better result.

14. Jester

Jester Active Member Full Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Toney-McCallum II
    Round 1: 9-10 McCallum
    Round 2: 10-9 Toney
    Round 3: 10-9 Toney
    Round 4: 9-10 McCallum
    Round 5: 10-9 Toney
    Round 6: 9-10 McCallum
    Round 7: 9-10 McCallum
    Round 8: 9-9 even (McCallum deducted a point)
    Round 9: 10-9 Toney
    Round 10: 10-9 Toney
    Round 11: 9-10 McCallum
    Round 12: 9-10 McCallum

114-113 McCallum

This is a great tactical chess match, with both men displaying great defense, combinations, and counter-punching. I'd kind of forgotten how fast Toney was hand speed wise at middleweight when he was in shape, he fired off his combos and worked a great jab throughout. McCallum seemed to land both more overall punches and the more effective ones. His work to the body slowed Toney down and he smothered Toney's offense by blocking punches with his arms and elbows. It was a close enough fight that either man could've won but the scorecards were way too wide in Toney's favor.

15. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Sung Kil Moon v Nana Konadu 1

This is just an amazing fight. Moon starts brilliantly but gets dropped after twice putting Konadu down. And that's just round one!

The action in this fight is unrelenting but it always felt like Konadu was just trying to keep Moon at bay. Had Moon's cut not stopped the action, I think he would have worn Konadu down and maybe stopped him too. As it was, he had the edge on the cards and that was enough.

1990 had some great fights: Chavez-Taylor, Tyson-Douglas, Banke-Zaragoza 2... but I think this is the best of the lot. The only disappointment was the way it ended.

1 10-8 (mental start - Konadu dropped twice in the first 90 seconds before putting Moon down)
    2 10-9
    3 10-8 (Ķonadu dropped again. Moon has a nasty cut)
    4 9-10 (Moon suffers a flash knockdown but otherwise wins the round)
    5 10-9
    6 9-10
    7 9-10
    8 9-10
    9 10-9
    (86-83)
    Moon TD Konadu