the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Whooa, my bad! That's what I get for typing too fast. Welcome aboard, Nick.

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Erik Morales v In Jin Chi

What a tremendous fight! I needed a bit of a change up from watching light-heavyweights and this did the trick.

Chi is one tough SOB. He came to win and gave Morales all he could handle. Once Morales realised Chi wasn't going anywhere he had to pick his shots more judiciously and use his movement to offset Chi's somewhat wild rushes.

Hell of a good fight - loved it.

1 9-10 (Close. Heck of an opener. Morales started well, Chi finished well)
    2 9-10 (Chi landed the better shots)
    3 10-9
    4 10-9
    5 10-9 (good, precise combinations from El Terrible)
    6 9-10 (cracking round)
    7 10-9
    8 9-10
    9 10-9
    10 10-8 (point deduction for Chi)
    11 10-9 (great round!)
    12 10-10 (tremendous stuff)
    Morales 116-112 Chi

KO KIDD, McGrain and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agreed, it really was a great fight. Here's how I scored it:

This content is protected

10 : 9
    9 : 10
    10 : 9 (38/38)
    10 : 9 (77/75)
    10 : 8
    10 : 9 (
    )

I love El Terriblé, the swagger, arrogance and spirit are one of a kind, and his style was awesome too. I watched this fight directly after watching his defensive masterclass over Ayala. It's a nice change of pace, as Morales was offensively stunning here, and Chi had no choice but to soak it all up. Chi's first fight with Brodie was excellent too.

Jel likes this.
  4. NickChristo

NickChristo Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2020
    Wilfredo Gomez - Lupe Pintor

Round 1 : 10-9
    Round 2 : 10-9
    Round 3 : 10-9
    Round 4 : 9-10
    Round 5 : 9-10
    Round 6 : 10-9
    Round 7 : 10-9
    Round 8 : 9-10
    Round 9 : 10-9
    Round 10 : 9-10
    Round 11 : 9-10
    Round 12 : 9-10
    Round 13 : 9-10
    Round 14 : Gomez wins by TKO

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  5. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Jorge Arce v Hussein Hussein 1

I saw this back in 2005 and really enjoyed it so when it popped up in my YouTube feed, I thought 'Don't mind if I do!'

1 10-9 (that's how to start a fight!)
    2 9-10
    3 10-9 (close)
    4 10-9 (close again)
    5 10-9 (Arce getting on top now)
    6 10-9
    7 9-10
    8 10-8 (point deduction for Hussein)
    9 10-9 (close)
    (88-82)
    10 Arce TKO Hussein

Really fun fight in which Hussein was competive in almost every round but just got worn down and couldn't quite match firepower with Travieso. I had the score going into the 10th the same as all three judges. Arce did well to ignore the nasty cut over his nose and never looked discouraged for a moment. That guy just has 'fighter' written all over his face - usually in blood!

Worth anyone's time this one.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  6. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    James Scott v Yaqui Lopez

Excellent bout fought at an unforgiving pace. Highly competitive throughout despite the scoring looking lopsided. Scott set an unforgiving pace from the outset and leveraged his superior strength to win the inside game, keeping Lopez on the back foot a lot of the time. But Yaqui gave as good as he got - he had to, otherwise he would have been overwhelmed.

I actually think this was a better peformance from Scott than his win over Eddie Gregory/Mustafa Muhammad the previous year. In this form, he'd have given Galindez, Marvin Johnson and Matthew Saad Muhammad all they could handle. He deserved a title shot.

1 10-9 (superb opening round)
    2 9-10 (close again)
    3 10-10 (tricky one to score)
    4 10-9 (frenetic pace)
    5 10-9
    6 10-9 (close)
    7 10-9
    8 9-10
    9 10-9
    10 10-9
    Scott 98-93 Lopez

Scott wins 7 rounds to 2 with 1 even.

7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Was this a good fight, scar?

8. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Not Boza-Edwards type stuff but decent. Watt kept him off of him with his southpaw jab most of the time where one was looking for the fire from O'Grady. It really heated up in the 8th and 9th when O'Grady started to lay into him. But after the butt O'Grady couldn't mount any kind of attack.

9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Recently the second fight between Jose Becerra v Alphonse Halimi was uploaded to youtube. Here we go. California used the 10 point system for the title fight.

Round 1: 10-9 Halimi
    Round 2: 10-8 Halimi (scores a knockdown)
    Round 3: 10-9 Halimi
    Round 4: 10-9 Becerra
    Round 5: 10-9 Becerra
    Round 6: 10-9 Becerra
    Round 7: 10-9 Becerra
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: Becerra scores a KO

Total (through 8 completed rounds): 76-76 Even (actual scores: 77-75, 78-74 and 77-73 all for Halimi)

I've always said the west coast officials were about the most even-handed and fair judges and referees I've seen where the visitor can always get a fair shake, but I'm stunned at how they leaned towards Halimi with that kind of point spread over the very favored Mexican. I didn't see this as hard fight to score but obviously I'm in the minority.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  10. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Watched McCallum vs Toney 1 again, this one I scored for Toney. He looked a lot better in this then the second landed a lot more solid shots in comparison. Also for some reason I kept think McCallum had really long arms lol even though only meant to an inch reach advantage.

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Toney
    Round 3: 10-9 McCallum
    Round 4: 10-9 Toney
    Round 5: 10-9 McCallum
    Round 6: 10-9 Toney
    Round 7: 10-9 McCallum
    Round 8: 10-9 Toney
    Round 9: 10-9 McCallum
    Round 10: 10-9 Toney
    Round 11: 10-10 Even
    Round 12: 10-9 Toney (James landed some bombs in this round Mike chin held up well)

116 - 114 Toney

11. Minotauro

May 22, 2007
    Also watched Leonard vs Hagler again scored it for Leonard even though most people I know feel Hagler won. Marvin didn't look good missed a lot of shot seemed like he couldn't pull the trigger at times.

Round 1: 10-9 Leonard
    Round 2: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 3: 10-9 Leonard
    Round 4: 10-9 Leonard
    Round 5: 10-9 Leonard
    Round 6: 10-9 Leonard
    Round 7: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 8: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 9: 10-9 Leonard
    Round 10: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 11: 10-9 Leonard
    Round 12: 10-9 Hagler

115 - 113 Leonard a lot of close rounds with Leonard doing the more eye catching but less damaging work at times.

12. Minotauro

May 22, 2007
    Finally Hagler vs Vito Antuofermo seen it before but never scoring it until now. Felt Marvin got robbed same as I did when I initially saw it.

Round 1: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 2: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 3: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 4: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 5: 10-9 Vito
    Round 6: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 7: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 8: 10-9 Vito
    Round 9: 10-9 Hagler (close could have gone the other way)
    Round 10: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 11: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 12: 10-9 Vito
    Round 13: 10-9 Vito
    Round 14: 10-9 Vito
    Round 15: 10-9 Hagler (great round)

145 - 140 Hagler

Felt Hagler constantly landed the better puncher Vito was more aggressive and impressively had better endurance but felt Marvin won pretty wide. Attempted to score Monzon vs Griffin 2 as remember it being very close but lost interest mid way really boring fight. Been watching nothing but middleweight fights for some reason working from home cause of the pandemic gets pretty boring lol.

13. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Crushing beers watching quarry Norton with my dad who came of age in the 70s nice to get his insight on it

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

After last weekends awesome fights, and the fallout of a (somewhat) controversial decision, I figured why not watch this one. I've seen it before & had it for Derev, but I've never had a written record of a card.

8 : 10
    9 : 10 (37/38)
    9 : 10 (75/76)
    10 : 9 (
    )

#1: Good round for Derev, before Jacobs landed a sneaky uppercut, then a looping overhand on Sergiy. Sergiy seemed off balance from them and touched down with both hands to steady himself. So Derevyanchenko down, not really hurt, although how Jacobs reacted suggests otherwise. No other real shots landed in this one.

#2: Chenko jabbing in, landed a solid right hand which shook Jacobs. Danny ended up on his back for the latter part of the round.

#3: Jacobs gunshy, Derev crowding and out-working him. Not by much, mind you.

#4: Jacobs working the body a bit, opening up more up top. Good round for him. Derev still jabbing his way inside though, Jacobs keeps missing his cross-counter.

#5: Derev countering on the front foot now, making Jacobs miss a bit. More good action.

#6: Jacobs countering well with an uppercut to the body, holding his feet when Chenko gets up close, but doing a good job of keeping it at range. Derevyanchenko getting inside a lot, and landing big at times.

#7: Effective pressure from Derevyanchenko.

#8: Big shots from Jacobs, brilliant timing. Good uppercut and cross-counters. He's keeping Derev off him too, good footwork on the back-foot.

#9: Jacobs landed the best punch of the round, but Derev comfortably out-worked him.

#10: Messy, but effective pressure from Chenko. Needs to jab more, Jacobs sharpshooting.

#11: Awesome action, both landing clean. Jacobs landing a bit more flush, with bigger power.

#12: One last hard fought round, close one. Derev nicks it via workrate, he took over quite strong late.

Good fight, nothing crazy, but good to score. These two fall far short of great, but they're two of the bravest men in the world. Lots of respect for them.

The athletic boxer-punchers that routinely come from America make for awesome match ups with Derevyanchenko.

15. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Donnie Nietes SD12 Kazuto Ioka

Two lo fi legends (is that an oxymoron?) clash at superfly.

Ioka clearly wins the battle of the jabs in the first, coming a little square, but getting that right into play too. Nietes has high gloves, gakes no damage, but leaks a right to the body; needs an adjustment. Ioka is quicker and it is showing early. Second round is much closer. They move in and Ioka scores a volley to the body, Nietes returns to the head. But again, Ioka probably scores with the better shots and certainly his bodywork is impressive. Nietes shows some dig inside though and that's clearly where he needs to be based upon the second - he won the last 40 seconds of the round pretty clearly.

Nietes finds his way consistently in the third and wins the round. He's not seeing Ioka of or anything, he's returning fire with the jab when the break, looking for the 1-2 still, but Nietes has started to touch Ioka with his own jab, which is an underwhelming punch but a scoring punch. Nietes is countering some of Ioka's best work in the fourth, this is a key round - now it's Ioka who must adapt I suspect because NIetes has timed him. He was always great with range, accuracy, adaptations, and it's put him in charge here

It feels like, a close mid-, Nietes cannot lose. Ioka opens the fifth jabbing and moving. When Nietes dips in, he throws one or two punches then moves. A fascinating fight of adjustment and counter-adjustment...

But it's Ioka who takes it dep, moving alternately to his left or his right with good economy, unafraid to move along the rope knowing his speed will keep him ahead of Nietes, trying very hard to be disciplined in picking his spots. Nietes finally seems a little baffled; Ioka caught him in time. I gave the Japanese 7 through ten reasonably clearly. Ten was in the balance until Ioka landed a double left hook at about 90 seconds that helped him take control of the round. So good at picking these punches, he's out-selecting Nietes, no small matter. This makes the eleventh crucial - Ioka took the lead for the first time behind the tenth, his fourth consecutive round, enough to win any fight, but the better start means Nietes can still achieve a draw ith the 11th and 12th. Seems unlikely given how the fight has panned out but the round is very, very close...hard to be sure, Ioka controls the range again but Nietes moves with him and lands some one-two punches. Hard. Very hard round to score. I'll give it to Nietes on the cleaner punching. Highly arguable. Then Nietes, clearly stung, goes and wins the twelfth clean. So I have a draw; no robbery, and it's been reported as such in some corners - I can see why, it was crazy the way Ioka swept the middle rounds and he arguably won the six and the eleventh, too. Good, close fight.

NIETES: 2,3,4,6,11,12.
    IOKA:1,5,7,8,9,10,

114-114

Official: 118-110 (nuts, one of the worst cards you'll see), 116-112, 112-116.