the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Tomas Rojas UD12 Kohei Kono

This one is kind of a tie-breaker as to who will be remembered as a significant superfly from the last decade (Even if it's just for weirdoes like me). The loser falls away, the winner probably deserves to become a historical fistic footnote. Or may be not, I don't know

Kono was this weird cult figure in Japan, and you can see why. Aggressive to a fault he was disorganised, had a great chin on him (At least until Inoue got his hands on him one-up) and unorthodox. In essence, he's fun to watch. Rojas on the other hand, is tall slim and weaves classic punches together well in bunches, though his southpaw jab is always a little pawing. Still, he has fun here and is soon leading with his right hand. Kono's attacks are a little comedic in terms of how wide he goes and Rojas has little to no problem in scoring heavily with the neater punches. He throws in volume towards the end of the second, unconcerned with what is coming back.

Kono drives him back and manhandles him a bit at the opening of the third but Rojas comes back with more careful long shots from the outside. Kono has a smidge of a blueprint there though, for all that one suspects he will have to wait for Rojas to fade to implement it. He gets loser in the fourth though - Rojas lands too many clean shots to lose it, probably, but he is missing more and Kono is right on him. I guess Kono will start winning rounds pretty soon.

Rojas abandons headshots in the fifth - outworks Kono to the body. Kono seems unconcerned about this approach also and remains firmly in the pocket. It's gone from one-sided but entertaining to competitive but entertaining - still a hot mess though. Rojas back on his bike and throwing straight punches to begin the sixth - he does ok keeping it going too. He also punches Kono right in the nuts. Kono takes a healthy break. Sore one. Anyway, I now have Kono needing fireworks to win :lol: six-zip. Kono takes a vicious body beating in the seventh. He is crouching now with a low guard.

Ninth is very close! Kono is actually boxing a little crooked now sort of bent across himself, shying away, but still bringing significant pressure and he dashes Rojas along a rope at one point - probably still loses the round :lol: and even looks int rouble in the final minute, but signs of something like hope here. He gets hit hard with a bodyshot in the tenth though after good work in the first half of the round, and just fades. He's only got two rounds left to win one!!

He wins the twelfth! And how, in style...Rojas looks great in the eleventh, on his toes, circling, good hitting, full of energy - in the twelfth he looks to hold his ground a bit, score jabs, straights, and uppercuts to the body. Lands, too - but Kono keeps coming, knowing his only chance is a KO and he nearly gets it. Bothering Rojas with bodyshots, he beats him around the ring, inflicting disorganization before stiffening him with a right hand and volleying him to the canvas. Rojas had just enough to get him home - wish i'd seen this one live, it was thrilling even knowing the result.

Despite the beating (never quite disturbing) it was a fun fight. Kono just isn't in **** fight, doesn't do them.

KONO:12*.
    ROJAS:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11.

*Rojas down.

118-109

Official: 116-111, 116-111, 118-109.

2. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Score card Toney vs McCallum 1.

Round 1 10-9 McCallum with his jab being the main difference.

Round 10-9 Toney. He's all over McCallum

Round 3 10-10. Actually, I think McCallum was slightly the better, but to avoid any bias I'll call this one even as its the closest round so far.

Round 4. 10-9 McCallum.

Round 5 10-9 McCallum

Round 6 10-9 Toney. Toney's left is too low. Hard round to score. Toney has the bigger moments, McCallum has more moments.

Round 7 10-9 McCallum is breathing hard, and IMO has gone low one times too many. The ref should warm him.

Round 8. 10-9 for Toney.

Round 9. 10- 9 for McCullum as he landed more and mixed in body shots

Round 10. 10-9 for Toney, thanks to a fast start in the round.

Round 11. 10-9 for McCallum, boy he made Toney Miss often.McCallum lands more often.

** PUNCH STATS THROUGH ROUND 11.**

McCallum threw 831 and landed 325. Toney threw 728 and landed 301. Clear edge for McCallum.

Round 12. 10-9 Toney. Toney's best round in the fight.

Final score Card

McCallum 6 rounds, Toney 5 rounds one even. A draw here is a fine call, though I felt McCallum edged it. Judge Tom Kaczmaerk scored round 12, 10-8 for Toney to make him the winner in his card. Kazcamaerk also scored rounds 10, 11, and 12 for Toney. In round 11, the other two judges scored that one for McCallum and so did I. Way to go Tom, that's some fine scorecard fixing!

Conclusion: Visibly past his best at age 35, McCallum officially draws with a prime James Toney with some malarkey on one of the judges cards. This means if McCallum was a few years younger, he takes this. When a much younger fighter faces a man 11 years old, both with ability, the younger man should win almost ever time. This was a draw—stock up for McCallum. This fight shows Toney's limitations landing his own jab and lack of defense vs. the same punch.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  3. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Philly, I checked this fight out today and after watching I looked at the history on this thread to see who else may have scored this fight. Well, you are the only one. It's funny, but most chatter on Lockridge revolves around the very controversial Pedroza, Chavez and Gomez fights. But this one was so enjoyable. Here we go. Rocky Lockridge v Tony Lopez I

Round 1: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 2: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 3: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 4: 10-9 Rocky
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 7: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 8: 10-8 Rocky (scores a knockdown)
    Round 9: 10-9 Rocky
    Round 10: 10-10 Even
    Round 11: 10-9 Lopez
    Round 12: 10-9 Lopez

Total: 116-113 Lopez (actual scores: 115-112, 115-112 and 116-112 all for Lopez)

Apart from my two even rounds, we were exact in our scoring. This bout won fight of the year for 1988. Just a terrific see-saw bout. Rocky was on shaky pins for several rounds, seemingly being a sucker for Tony's straight right. But he did good work on the inside to his credit. When Rocky got cut it seemed like the wind came out of his sails and Tony capitalized. Just a terrific fight and I highly recommend it.

4. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Carlos Cuadras TD8 Wisaksil Wangek

This one was abandoned early, tragically, by a headclash resulting in a cut over Cuadras's eye. Never satisfying - but still, it's a defining win given what Wangek went on to do (become the greatest superfly of is era, specifically). Cuadras doensn't have the best start by my eye. He keeps ahead of his man but gets hit harder than his man when he closes. SO he's got the right idea but it's having the wrong outcome. Cuadras can't just run and jab because Wangek will steam roll him but he's getting out-squabbled when he chooses his moments. Still, I think he's solved it by round's end - jabs and fast bodyshots are going to be the medicine. Counter-flurries rather than counter-punches.

Cuadras looks weird. Corncrows he's sporting today, and that wild back acne. He looks more like a dangerous meth addict than an elite fighter. He is one though...looks one in the second, punishing every over-exetension with two-handed flurries. My diagnosis was right bar the jab. Wangek hasn't gone away - but he is getting beaten to the punch and out-generalled.

Wangek has a point removed for the fourth round headclash at the beginning of the fifth to add to his not insignificant woes. Cuadras's bleeding is under control though, looks OK. Maybe he's a little disturbed though -I think he might drop the fifth on the pressure, the activity, Wangek brings. He still lands the better shots but Wangek has closed on him a bit.

By the seventh, Wangek is taking more chances, stepping across Cuadras as he retreats, opening himself up to punches but landing some of his own. He's still being outlanded but he is now landing the harder shots - making these rounds questionable for the first time, first and fifth aside. You have to be careful here because the temptation is always to give close rounds to the man who is way behind but I think he's good for the seventh...a left hand to the body with fifth seconds remaining clearly really hurts him and puts the round beyond dispute.

Another head clash in the eighth ends the fight. Teh 15 complete seconds are supposed toe be scored, but **** that. Interesting that Wangek's best round was the seventh, beyond dispute. That's an argument for his "coming on" right at the end of the fight.

But Wangek didn't show enough to make this victory questionable - that vicious bodyshot in the seventh makes me wonder though.

CUADRAS:1,2,3,4*,6.
    WANGEK:5,7.

*Wangek point off for heads.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  5. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Love it.

George Crowcroft and McGrain like this.
  6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah, I think Rungvisai would've won had it kept going. That nasty body shot looked like the start of a momentum shift IMO.

7. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Big call that...not enough to make that call for me. It was hurtful but it was one punch and the man came out in the eighth like it was the fourth. Still, Wangek was getting closer.

Cuadras has the style to beat him though, no two ways about that.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Jose Becerra v Alphonse Hallimi 2

This fight is a beauty. Hallimi started really well before Becerra started to take over. The left hook was definitely a danger punch that Becerra kept tagging Hallimi with so it was fitting it was the punch that ended it.

1 9-10
    2 8-10 (clear knockdown against Becerra, seemingly treated as a slip by the ref)
    3 10-9
    4 10-9
    5 10-10
    6 10-9 (big Becerra round)
    7 10-9
    8 9-10 (close)
    (76-76)
    9 Becerra KO Hallimi (peach of a left hook)

9. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Roman Gonzalez UD12 Carlos Cuadras

This one was controversial, with no reason as I remember it. Do love Gonzlaez though so perhaps i'm being a little biased. Let's look.

Cuadras comes out stiff, looking to trade and then move off, he's a little more focused in terms of positioning than we saw against Wangek; i like this strategy. Fighting Gonzalez is a nightmare, if you give ground, he steamrolls you, if you stand your ground, he will outland you. This halfway house for strategy is the right one. And it bears fruit int he first; Cuadras isn't dominant but he is marginally better. Left handed counter-uppercut from Cuadras is the defining punch.

Roman goes fight crazy in the second though, jogging after his man, throwing two-handed. Cuadras is missing a bit - seems a little panicked - the up/down left hook in the middle of the round puts him in the box seat and he has firm control of the real-estate, the action and is landing more punches, the better punches. Both have agreed that jabs are a waste of time. So it goes through the fifth; I can't see any argument for Cuadras winning any of these rounds. He is outlanding Cuadras with the better shots across all four rounds. In that fifth though, Caudras looks the part. He is looking for the left hand, he is still moving well, and although Gonzalez wins a thrilling round, it's closer.

What is happening here is that Cuadras's size has eliminated Gonzalez's ability to wither. Meanwhile hisown eyes are showing the sign of combat, he is bleeding and mouse. There is a chance that this fight might roll against him in the second half of this fight. Cuadras heralds it by winning a marginal sixth. Gonzalez rallies thrillingly in the seventh, bags the round clearly with precise aggression. That is a champion's round; that is a round that makes a champion. Bit workmanlike though; maybe the better for that. It makes the eighth even more important, a round on which the fight turns. Gonzalez bags it for me, and it's not all that close - when he takes the ninth, too, he's beyond reach for me.

Gonzalez indisputably won 2,3,4,5,7 and 9. Arguments about the other rounds can be had, but there are arguments to be had - you'd be doing well to find all six for Cuadras. A clear win for Gonzalez. A very good fight though. All the conspiracies swirling around Gonzalez at the time and Cuadras doing well are probably what created the false controversy.

Gonzalez:2,3,4,5,7,8,9,12.
    Cuadras:1,6,10,11.

116-112

Official: 115-113, 116-112, 117-111.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  10. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Didn't score it but just finished it myself. Excellent scrap. Most of the action from the port side and both fighters open and not necessarily the best punch resistance. That's always a winning combination.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  11. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Jose Medel v Fighting Harada 1

Continuing my 60s bantamweight fix, Harada showed zero caution or respect for Medel's power and paid the price for it big time.

I scored every available round for Harada except for the sixth round, obviously.

1 9-10
    2 9-10
    3 9-10 (closer)
    4 Round missing
    5 9-10
    6 Medel TKO Harada

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Johnny Tapia v Henry Martinez

Counter-Puncher, a poster from another site, recommended this fight to me. I checked the fight out yesterday and let me just say; wow! What a terrific fight. Martinez' heftier wallops against Tapia's sizzling combos. Here is how I had it.

Round 1: 10-9 Martinez
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Tapia
    Round 4: 10-9 Tapia
    Round 5: 10-9 Martinez
    Round 6: 10-9 Tapia
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Martinez
    Round 9: 10-9 Tapia
    Round 10: 10-9 Tapia
    Round 11: Tapia drops Martinez and the ref stops the fight

Total (through 10 completed rounds): 97-95 Tapia (actual scores: 98-92 and 2 scores of 97-93 all for Tapia)

Can't say enough about this fight. Johnny looked great. But let me talk about Martinez. What a great effort and I think he deserved a bit more said about him than the announcers were granting him. Great fundamentals. Hard jab (delivered in ones), hard body-puncher and terrific wallops upstairs, but Johnny was not to be denied this day as he took it into the late rounds and Martinez found himself in the deep end of the pool. Still, I was expecting to see more of a career out of Henry after this, but according to boxrec, that was it for him. Don't know if he sustained permanent damage in the fight to his optics or if he lost heart. Wished Johnny would have retired earlier than he did, but something was always going to happen there. But I digress. I highly recommend this fight and thanks to Counter for bringing it to our attention.

13. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    BTW, here is the link to the fight

This content is protected

14. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Carmen Basilio W10 Gil Turner

Saw a full version of this on YouTube with no sound. Highly entertaining. Early on, there's not a lot separating these two; Turner is very active, throws fast, accurate, varied combinations, and has a good chin and general skillet. He's very good, and great value if you like punchathons. He doesn't have a lot of power but he throws a lot and is very durable.

Basilio, for his part, is of course very durable but more methodical and a bit slower. He of course also has a terrific engine and that patented jab, right to the body, hook to the head combination that is just a killer. He made quite a career with that combination.

Turner starts well and by the midpoint appears to be running away with it but Basilio's persistent, dogged attack is wearing him down until by the ninth and certainly the tenth he's on very shaky pins, with Basilio taking full command.

Excellent punch-up if you're in the mood for one, and as it features so much phone booth warfare there's bound to be differences in scorecards.

1. B
    2. T
    3. T
    4. T
    5. T
    6. B
    7. B
    8. B
    9. B (Turner now laboring)
    10. B (Turner visibly wilting)

Using a ten-point must, I have it 96-94 Basilio.

15. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Jose Medel v Jesus Pimental

Another 60s bantam clash and a super fight between two top contenders.

This was a tough one to score with two even rounds plus three close ones that could have gone either way. The knockdowns in the 9th swung it back to Medel after Pimental had a good run of rounds. Medel seemed to land the harder shots but Pimental threw more overall. It wasn't always clear that he was landing though.

1 10-10 (cagey opener)
    2 10-9
    3 9-10 (close)
    4 8-10 (Medel down from a left hook-straight right combo)
    5 9-10 (another good round for Pimental)
    6 9-10 (close)
    7 10-9
    8 10-10
    9 10-7 (Huge round for Medel - drops Pimental with a perfect left hook and then again with a straight right after battering him against the ropes)
    10 10-9 (close. Medel landed the more solid shots but Pimental was busier. Swing round)

Medel 95-94 Pimental

George Crowcroft and scartissue like this.