the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Showstopper, welcome aboard if this is your first post on this thread. I scored this awhile back. Here is how I had it.

Michael Nunn vs. James Toney

Round 1: 10-9 Toney
    Round 2: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 5: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 6: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 7: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-9 Toney
    Round 10: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 11: TKO for Toney

Total: 98-94 Nunn, through 10 completed rounds. (Actual scores: 98-92, 97-93 and 99-91 all for Nunn up to the stoppage.)

2. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    When I was younger, I would sometimes look around on YouTube for, basically, random ass fights. I'd pick completely randomly, usually because a Boxer's name sounded cool, and this method actually led to me finding a lot of good wars lol. I did it again, and I've stumbled on a closet classic.

Hiroyuki Yoshino vs Crazy Kim

Japanese Lt. Middle Title

Yoshino : Crazy

1: 8 - 10 [KD] (Immediate exchange, for 3 minutes straight!)
    2: 10 - 10 (Literally taking turns. Heart from Yoshino, coming back from the 1st)
    3: 10 - 8(?) [KD] (Yoshino's experience is showing. He puts all his force into his hook)
    4: MISSING
    5: 10 - 9 (Momentum going for Yoshino now. Kim has immense balls)
    6: 10 - 10 (Yoshino doing literally nothing 'till hurting Kim in the last 30)
    7: 10 - 8 [KD] (Mental exchanges for the last half)
    8: 10 - 9 (****ing Hell! Dual Exchanges!)
    9: 10 - 8 (Gruelling. Big heart from Kim)
    10: KO (Yoshida KO's him with a huge left hook!)

TOTAL: 78 - 72 YOSHINO

Notes:
    • To all the regular score givers here, you need to be checking this one out! I can't believe how good my random click was.

This content is protected

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Alexis Arguello v Jose Luis Ramirez

I think Ramirez was extremely unlucky here. Not only did he score a KD, he seemed to be the harder puncher and closed the show in the 10th by rocking Arguello. I think the scoring comes down to those early rounds where there wasn't much in it, although I had Ramirez in a slight lead by the end of round 4. Rounds 5 and 6 were clear Ramirez rounds, though, and where I think he started to fully control the fight.

Ramirez nullified Arguello's right hand for much of the fight with his movement, not allowing Arguello to settle into a rhythm. He also countered Alexis expertly, making him reluctant to throw his biggest punch. It was only in the later rounds that Alexis let the right hand go, but as a lead rather than off the jab as you would usually expect him to. To be fair, he landed this well on several occasions and it's interesting to note that the lead right was Julio Cesar Chavez's most effective punch against Ramirez 8 years later and he threw it continually in that fight - couldn't miss with it, in fact.

I was wondering if the fight had been championship distance whether Arguello would have gone on to take the win clearly, but to be honest, he didn't look good here at all and I feel Ramirez could have taken the official verdict over 15 rounds.

1 10-10 (cagey. Ramirez slightly busier but not much of anything landing)
    2 10-9 (close. Strong start from Ramirez before Arguello had success. Either-way type of round - I went back and forth on this one)
    3 9-10
    4 9-10 (close again but Ramirez countering Arguello well)
    5 9-10 (masterful work by Ramirez and Arguello looks befuddled)
    6 8-10 (Ramirez had landed the most impactful punches up to this point and illustrates that in this round with a KD)
    7 10-9 (close)
    8 10-10
    9 10-9
    10 9-10
    Arguello 94-97 Ramirez

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Bujia, salsanchezfan and roughdiamond like this.
  4. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Many simply reviewing his record and watching a few later fights may tag him as a relentless brawler, or a "bruising southpaw " but as seen here, Ramirez was much more than that. He was very cagey and learned. Arguello fought and picked apart many southpaws, he was never particularly troubled by them. Ramirez gave him fits. I had Ramirez by a point, I seem to remember.

5. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I scored it for JLL some time ago also.

One of the most underrated fighters of his generation.

ron davis and Jel like this.
  6. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Michael Nunn v Frank Tate

Near shutout performance from Nunn before he put the hurt on Tate in the 8th and 9th. I never liked watching Nunn but can't deny he looked very good here.

1 10-9 (good start to the fight and a great opening round for Nunn - both slick and aggressive)
    2 9-10 (close. Good exchanges)
    3 10-9 (impressive countering from Nunn)
    4 10-9
    5 10-9 (Nunn in full control)
    6 10-9
    7 9-9 (Nunn docked a point for holding behind the head)
    8 10-8 (Tate down from a nasty hook to the body. Tate saved by the bell.)
    (78-72)
    9 Nunn TKO Tate

7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I watched this this morning, and I don't know how you found it but wow!

roughdiamond and ron davis like this.
  8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Im planning on binging Dick Tiger. Outside of the following, which fights should I watch from him?

Tiger vs Jose Torres I
    Tiger vs Jose Torres II
    Tiger vs Bob Foster
    Tiger vs Gene Fullmer
    Tiger vs Nino Benenvuti
    Tiger vs Joey Giardello III

9. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    If you’re gonna binge on Tiger, watching his matchups with boxers is a no no. Best to watch him against brutish, powerful cavemen. There are few things in life more satisfying than watching Dick Tiger against the “alpha male” types.

The Fullmer fights
    Carter
    Fernandez
    Hank
    Gonzalez

Is the Rivero fight out there?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  10. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    I've heard this sort of things I've seen before, and that's why I've seen the match ups you've mentioned. Those were just the ones I had planned for tomorrow/day after, I've seen more.

I'm just watching the major ones I've either not seen or can't remember (Foster fight).

11. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I figured you’d seen them. So have I. You mean to tell me you plan on watching them just the once?

12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Nah, the Hank fight is one I've seen multiple times. Same with Carter. Actually, the Hank fight might be one of my most watched fights at 160. Definitely up there. Although Watson-Benn is definitely #1.

Anyway, I'm just looking for new stuff specifically for tomorrow/day after.

13. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    My own favorites are Tiger versus Fernandez and Carter.

Bujia and George Crowcroft like this.
  14. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Floyd Mayweather vs Zab Judah
    Scorecard
    Mayweather: 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12
    Judah:1,2,4
    Even: 3
    End Result
    Mayweather 117|Judah 112 - (8 rounds to 3, with 1 even)
    Assesment
    Despite a rocky start, Mayweather won pretty comfortably. He made the necessary adjustments needed to ensure victory

15. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    A few weeks ago I viewed the first fight between Dave McAuley and Rodolfo Blanco. It was a great fight, so I had to check out the rematch. And let me say, I don't think these two could get together and it wouldn't be a great fight.

Dave McAuley v Rodolfo Blanco II

Round 1: 10-9 McAuley
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 McAuley
    Round 4: 10-9 Blanco
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Blanco
    Round 7: 10-9 Blanco
    Round 8: 10-9 Blanco
    Round 9: 10-8 McAuley (Blanco loses a point for a low blow)
    Round 10: 10-9 McAuley
    Round 11: 10-9 Blanco
    Round 12: 10-10 Even

Total: 115-115 Draw (actual scores: 115-112, 114-113 and 114-113 all for Blanco)

In their first fight I felt Blanco did enough to take the title, but this time around I had them neck and neck. I will say, however, that if I scored this again I'm sure I would have a different score. Every round was so closely contested that I was giving the combatants rounds by a shade. Good fight.