the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I checked out a fight on a whim today because Kevin Pompey always seemed like he was in a war. He reminds me a bit of '60s welterweight Charley Scott, I think. Always an action fighter. Anyways, here we go with Tyrone Trice v Kevin Pompey

Round 1: 10-9 Trice
    Round 2: 10-9 Trice
    Round 3: 10-9 Pompey
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Trice
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Trice
    Round 8: 9-9 Even (scored it for Trice but he was deducted 1 point for pushing down on the back of Pompey's head)
    Round 9: 10-9 Trice
    Round 10: 10-9 Pompey
    Round 11: 10-9 Trice
    Round 12: 10-10 Even

Total: 117-113 Trice (actual scores: 114-113, and 2 scores of 115-112 all for Tyrone Trice)

Man, what a war! The last 2-3 rounds were wild. I can't recommend this enough. You guys will love it.

2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    You know how to find 'em man.

Jel, scartissue and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. BoxxyMcBoxface

BoxxyMcBoxface Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Travis Simms vs Joachim Alcine

Round 1: 10-9
    Round 2: 10-9 (20-18 Simms)
    Round 3: 10-9 (30-27 Simms)
    Round 4: 10-9 (40-36 Simms)
    Round 5: (49-46 Simms)
    Round 6: 9-9 (58-55 Simms) Alcine loses a point.
    Round 7: 9-10 (67-65 Simms)
    Round 8: 8-10 (75-75) Simms looses a point
    Round 9: 8-10 (83-85 Alcine) Alcine scores a knockdown
    Round 10: 9-10 (92-95 Alcine)
    Round 11: 9-10 (101-105 Alcine)
    Round 12: 10-9 (111-114 Joachim Alcine)

Judges scores: (111-114 Alcine), (110-115 Alcine), (109-116 Alcine)

This fight was on the same card as Donaire vs Darchinyan I. It was for the WBA 154lb title. It was an interesting enough fight. Sims did well early but around about the fifth, Alcine started to get his jab going. Once this happened, he took control of the fight. Alcine lost a point for hitting on the break in the 6th and Simms lost one for what appeared to be holding and hitting in the 8th. Alcine scored a knockdown in the 9th and that basically sealed the deal for him.

scartissue likes this.
  4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Fight : Ioka vs Alvarado

1:10-9
    2:10-9
    3:10-9
    4:9-10
    5:10-9
    6:10-9
    7:10-9
    8:10-9
    9:10-9
    10:10-9
    11:9-10
    12:10-9

Wide score card that doesn't tell the story at all.

Alvarado made Ioka work for every second of this fight and that's despite have a grotesque swelling across half his face.

Every round had the same pattern of Ioka holding his own up close, dominating with crisp shots from range and Alvarado trying his very best to walk right through Ioka.

Great fight this one.

118-110

5. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Awhile back I watched the first fight between Welcome Ncita and Kennedy McKinney. And, although Ncita lost, I was really intrigued watching him. I really liked his combos and the fact that he really loved to body-punch. Like Eusebio Pedroza and Albert Davila, he was not a lethal puncher, but they all loved steady body-work. Anyways, his title defense against Hurley Snead was available and I checked it out today.

Welcome Ncita v Hurley Snead

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Ncita
    Round 3: 10-8 Ncita (scores a knockdown)
    Round 4: 10-9 Ncita
    Round 5: 10-9 Ncita
    Round 6: 10-9 Ncita
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Ncita
    Round 9: 10-9 Ncita
    Round 10: 10-9 Ncita
    Round 11: 10-9 Snead
    Round 12: 10-10 Even

Total: 119-111 Ncita (actual scores: 118-109, 117-111 and 117-110 all for Ncita)

I'm not going to say this is a must-see type of fight because it wasn't. It was a decent fight. Ncita's body-punching was missing, which was likely by strategic design because of Snead's tank-like build and the assumption that he would probably be better on the inside. I didn't think it was evident until around the 11th when Ncita was tiring, which allowed Snead on the inside. Ncita was a real ring general here, keeping Snead where he wanted on the end of jabs and combos and he was really finding a home for a whistling right hand. I really like watching Ncita fight. Any more of his fights anyone would recommend?

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Have you seen the McKinney rematch? I thought it was nowhere near the first one, but still a fun fight.

scartissue and Jel like this.
  7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I have not. I will check it out.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    This content is protected

Always remember watching this one after I heard about it on the commentary for Morales vs Pacquiao. It's really a great fight, and I wanted to revisit Arce, so I figured why not start with this one. Was Arce wearing a knee brace? I know it's not unheard of - Spinks did it - but did Arce have a history of knee injuries? Was he impaired in camp? Or was Arce actually injured for this? If so, what a set of bollocks he's got. If not, and I'm making massive assumptions, well **** me - what else is new?

The first round was a brutal showing as Hussein crowded Arce straight out the gate, but ate a huge left hook which turned the tide. He fought back bravely, after extensive holding, and survived the round. He actually doubled Arce's punch-landed count in the second round, and it was a great one. Arce seemed to take over from three through five. Although that's not to say he had it easy. Hussy threw everything he could muster at Arce.After the fifth, it seemed like the pair were a little reinvigorated, as Arce was fighting to prevent a cuts stoppage loss, and Hussein was fighting to cause a cuts stoppage win. Hussein seemed to out-work Arce in the seventh, and the cut was clearly bothering Jorge, although not in the eyes.

Hussein starts well in the eighth too, landing a big left hook which puts Arce on the defensive for a moment. Arce comes back, after playing a little possum, to drive Hussein into the ropes, land a brutal one-two, a big left uppercut and some wicked body shots. Shortly following, Hussein is deduced a point for pushing Arce's head down, a point I'd have taken as early as the forth round. Round nine was utter chaos, and absolutely brilliant. Both men hurt, showing huge heart (and no defence), and throwing combos galore until one of them fell over. You had no idea which, since whenever one got hit with something big, they'd throw everything they have into a big punch, which they landed, then both would seemingly - miraculously - recover, and carry on. It was a brutal round.

The stoppage was just IMO. The way Hussein went down wasn't encouraging (although, I suppose there is no encouraging way to go down in a boxing match) and he ate about six shots before his knees buckled, then another two huge overhands to the back of head as he crumpled to the floor. To me, Jeff made the right decision here. If he hadn't, the referee would've done.

10 : 9
    9 : 10
    10 : 9 (49/46)
    10 : 8*
    10 : 9* (
    )

This really was a great fight, and night of boxing. All of the rounds were competitive and entertaining, but I feel like my card is too wide. Thing is, I can't really see any other Arce rounds than the final two (eight and nine) which you feasibly give to Hussein. To me, the difference here is that it never seemed like Arce had doubts, or was going to crumble, whereas Hussein wasn't answering the questions asked of him how you'd like. Arce's style is so fun. A real Mexican bulldog type, with decent skills inside, a good way of getting there, and a big punch. Massive heart and solid chin too.

Onto the rematch, which IIRC, is one of Arce's best performances.

BoxxyMcBoxface and Jel like this.
  9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

Hussein seems confident in the first, jabbing authoritatively and looking for openings. He's moving to his left, but occasionally stepping to the right, and overextending a hard jab. Arce's stood in the centre ring, looking menacing, and throwing some monster shots to the body. He sees an opening when Hussein's right falls about six inches when he jabs, and he tries to go for it but missed. Hussein does the same thing about five seconds later, and a huge left hook, uppercut and right hand saps that confidence. Arce wasn't quite as aggressive as I was expecting after Hussein got up. He was in the second, though. Arce let his hands go with no hesitation or fear. After two minutes of aggression, he threw a cross (missed) and followed up with a left hook which HH seemed to walk straight into. He stopped like a sack of ****, but he got up. His corner throws in the towel, and that's all she wrote.

Great performance. Probably Arce's best showing at 112.

10. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Fight : Ioka vs Ruenroeng

1:9-10
    2:9-10
    3:9-10
    4:10-9
    5:9-10
    6:10-9
    7:10-9
    8:9-10
    9:9-10
    10:9-9
    11:10-9
    12:9-10

Ioka has now moved up to challenge IBF title holder Amnat Ruenroeng.

The first round is a good one for Ruenroeng, he uses his range very well, matches the speed of Ioka, gets off first consistently.

Second round saw more of the same ineffective aggression by Ioka. Ruenroeng is having it quite easy on the outside so far.

Round 3 sees Ruenroeng continue to control the fight and land some very big shots towards the end. Ioka looks absolutely hapless here.

Fourth round is a better one for Ioka, I feel he timed Amnat a lot better and managed to get some good work in on the front foot.

Fifth round sees us return to the status quo of Ioka plodding forward, not really throwing, not really doing anything as Ruenroeng just picks him off from range.

This is the worst I've ever seen Ioka.

Round 6 Ioka runs out with some urgency and pressures quite well, just nicking the round on my card.

Round 7 is razor close. Ioka has embraced his role as a small pressure fighter, but Ruenroeng is fighting so well at range. Only way I can split them is Ioka is the one coming forward, and if you don't like that you can suck my dick.

Round 8 is back Ioka looking unable to close the gap and Ruenroeng just dominating from distance. He's making Ioka look very basic and a far far cry from someone who will be top ten P4P ranked.

The final few rounds were close but Ruenroeng was just too accurate with his power shots. I think he had a point deducted in the 10th but I don't understand Japanese so I'm not 100% sure tbh.

Ioka looked so one dimensional here. Very flat footed, very plodding, low output, unable to find a plan B.

112-115

11. NickChristo

NickChristo Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2020
    Humberto Gonzalez - Michael Carbajal

Round 1 - 10-9
    Round 2 - 10-8
    Round 3 - 9-10
    Round 4 - 10-9
    Round 5 - 10-8
    Round 6 - 9-10
    Round 7 - Carbajal via KO

12. NickChristo

NickChristo Member Full Member

Sep 18, 2020
    Salvador Sanchez - Wilfredo Gomez

Round 1 - 10-8
    Round 2 - 10-9
    Round 3 - 9-10
    Sanchez landed the biggest punch of the rounded but Gomez did the better work overall
    Round 4 - 10-9
    Round 5 - 10-9
    Round 6 - 10-9
    Round 7 - 9-10
    Round 8 - Sanchez via Ko

scartissue likes this.
  13. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    George, watched it today. You're right, not like the first fight, but a decent fight nevertheless. Here's how I had it:

Round 1: 10-9 McKinney
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Ncita
    Round 4: 10-9 McKinney
    Round 5: 10-8 Ncita (scores a knockdown)
    Round 6: 10-9 McKinney
    Round 7: 10-9 McKinney
    Round 8: 10-9 McKinney
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 McKinney
    Round 11: 10-9 McKinney
    Round 12: 10-9 McKinney

Total: 117-112 McKinney (actual scores: 117-110 and 117-111 both for McKinney and a strange 114-114 Even for a majority win for McKinney)

Ncita fought quite differently than the first time. Missing was his bodywork, electing to potshot McKinney instead. Or perhaps with his eye closing he had no other recourse. I felt a comfortable win for McKinney and all seemed to agree except for one judge.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    I think he was trying to avoid an outcome like the first fight.

scartissue likes this.
  15. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019

Interesting fight this, I've heard claims of robbery, but on face value, it's hard to believe Johnson was the benefactor of an actual robbery, rather than the winner of a close fight. Although I do enjoy the irony of Tarver winging that he was robbery getting on Johnson's nerves in the post fight interview. Another interesting thing is that this is one of the only instances I can think of where both fighters denounce and give a big ol' "**** you" to the sanctioning bodies.

Johnson more aggresive in the first, easily out-working Tarver and taking it on my card. Good action in the second, quality from Tarver, quantity from Johnson. For me, the volume and body punching from Glen took this one by a hair. Great third, I'm giving the edge to Tarver, based on his bodywork and three-piece combos which he lets off. Tarver seemed to listen to McGirt's advice and throw more in combinations and really focus the body, he landed some very nice straight lefts in a row which earned him another close round on my card. Even after four.

Tarver eating big shots, supposedly playing possum. Whether he was or not, he lost the round. Tarver landing three to one (quite literally by compubox's reckoning), and painting Tarver on the way in. More action in seven, Johnson throwing more. Grunting as though needing a breather, it's ****in annoying. Tarver doing what did in the sixth.

Johnson seemed more sprightly than Tarver early in the ninth, but it didn't last. Tarver's jab seemed to be too good for him though, and he set up more powerful crosses. Johnson's right finding a home in the ninth, but still a sucker for Tarver's lead-hand. Tarver resting in the tenth. Johnson seemed more active in the eleventh, and I thought he landed a lot of bigger shots in there. Tarver's jab still landing with ease. Unbelievable 12th and final round. Tarver hurt Glencoffe and seemed to win even without that. He really let his shots go there.

10 : 9*
    9 : 10 (38/38)
    9 : 10 (76/76)
    9 : 10 (
    )

Me and Lederman only disagreed on one round here, that being the second. Like I said, a close fight; no robbery. Both very good, short of great fighters who put on a show, though. Definitely worth a watch and a scorecard.

I think Tarver's style is misunderstood. Most seem him as monster who hunts a fighter down and destroys guys with power which is near the top of the divisions' history. In reality, he was much more of a boxer than a puncher. Very high-level jab, his amateur pedigree showing with his set up to the body and of his left hand. Subtle defence too. He was much more of a low output counter-puncher with had elite skills. This fight definitely shows IMO that he was prone to being out-worked.