the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Ioka vs Nietes

1:10-9
    2:9-10
    3:10-9
    4:9-10
    5:9-10
    6:10-9
    7:10-9
    8:10-9
    9:10-9
    10:10-9
    11:10-9
    12:9-10

116-112

Ioka has a better, quicker crisper jab in the opening round which very much felt like a feeling out round to me, with Ioka feeling out slightly more than Nietes.

The 2nd sees Ioka try walking Nietes down, and looking good doing it at first. He looks so imposing behind that big long jab, but Nietes starts timing him from range and getting the better of the exchanges close up. Nietes shows amazing defence and countering here. Lands some very clean shots in the 2nd half of the round.

The third sees Ioka back in control for me. Pressing the action, being the ring general and having the better of the round. Nietes counters well again but not enough to take the round this time for me.

Nietes wins me back over whipping in some beautiful hooks and uppercuts in close, very close tactical fight so far and its quite hard arguing any clear rounds to this point, but I have it even after 4.

Round 5 starts with a bit of a role reversal and Nietes leading the action whilst Ioka tries countering. Normality resumes about the midway point and by now it kinda feels futile scoring this fight due to how close every round is. There's really not a lot in each round, and trying to find the difference detracts a bit from the spectacle of enjoying such a technical battle.

6th round was a bit odd. Nietes doesn't really do anything this round, but it still looks quite close. Ioka for me did the better work as I can't actually recall anything Nietes did.

The next 4 rounds was the best Ioka looked, maybe ever. He darted in and out, landing quickfire shots then getting out of range again. Defending brilliantly, showing very good speed and accuracy. And really looked to be closing the show against Nietes.

Donnie turned it around in the 12th and won it as he again found his range and landed big counters, maybe Ioka was tiring here, but either way Nietes takes this last round.

I had it 8-4 to Ioka, but a lot of these rounds were very close so I wouldn't call it a robbery, I'd instead said it's an example of two great talents being closely matched.

scartissue likes this.
  2. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Ioka vs Palicte

The last two men to fight Nietes before he retired, both of whom have him big problems in different ways.

The fight started very bad for Ioka, he looked like a little boy in there and had issues getting in and out against the bigger man.

Some rounds I thought Palicte was on the verge of cutting right through Ioka like a knife through butter.

But then Ioka started getting a bit more success and Palicte started slowing more and more.

The end was sudden and it was the smaller man who forced the referee to wave it off after an unanswered barrage of punches left Palicte tasting a stoppage defeat.

3. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Ioka vs Tanaka

I'd kind of slept on Ioka since his comeback, I must admit.

But these 3 performances here against Nietes, Palicte and Tanaka are enough to make him a lock for P4P top ten.

Tanaka was on the up and started this fight excellently, but Ioka has really mastered the art of breaking down his opponent with sharp counters, and he took Tanaka apart here.

Great performance by Ioka.

4. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Taylor vs Postol

1:9-10
    2:10-9
    3:9-10
    4:9-10
    5:9-10
    6:10-9
    7:9-10
    8:9-10
    9:10-9
    10:10-8
    11:10-9
    12:10-9

114-113

First round shows Postol really control the fight from range, Taylor looks a bit hapless like he's stepped up too soon as Postol lands from range keeping Taylor away.

2nd round sees Taylor finding success jabbing over the top of Postol, and you can see his footwork starting to cause Postol issues.

Rounds 3,4 and 5 see Postol take control again with his long rangy punches, really finding a home for that long straight. Postol looking very good to this point.

Round 6 sees Taylor really get the bit between his teeth and take it to Postol who isn't really able to live with the pace Faymkr is setting.

Rounds 7 and 8 see Postol again dictating behind his long rangy punches and at this point Taylor is miles behind and in need of a miracle.

Round 9 we see Taylor again forcing the action and upping the pace, and when the fight is like this, he gets the better of the exchanges and forces mistakes from Postol, who likes to slow it down from a distance.

Round 10 we see Taylor finally make that break through and drop Postol with a big left in a shot could prove huge on the scorecards.

Rounds 11 and 12 see Taylor able to tag Postol, hurt him and close the show to steal victory from the Jaws of defeat.

The cards for this one are insane. 118-110 is outrageous, a Postol victory is much more reasonable than a wide Taylor victory.

But what a performance in a first step up in class.

scartissue likes this.
  5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Apparently this thread is just me at the moment lol.

Next up will be Taylor Baranchyk

Saintpat and fists of fury like this.
  6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2006

FF, I just checked this fight out and then did a 'search' to see if anyone else had, and saw that you and @PhillyPhan69 both scored this fight. Here is how I had it:

Pone Kingpetch v Fighting Harada I (5 point must)

Round 1: 5-4 Harada
    Round 2: 5-4 Harada
    Round 3: 5-4 Harada
    Round 4: 5-4 Kingpetch
    Round 5: 5-4 Harada
    Round 6: 5-4 Harada
    Round 7: 5-4 Kingpetch
    Round 8: 5-4 Harada
    Round 9: 5-4 Harada
    Round 10: 5-4 Harada
    Round 11: Harada stops Kingpetch (counted out in a sitting position on the ropes)

Total through 10 completed rounds: 48-42 Harada (actual scores: 49-46, 49-41 and 50-38 all for Harada) - as usual in the Orient, scores were along party lines. The Thai judge had it closest, the Japanese judge had it the widest and the neutral judge - which was Nat Fleischer - had it the most realistic.

To begin, Harada was his usual force of nature, although not as refined as he would become in his peak bantamweight days. Kingpetch did not have the punch, but his sharp counters throughout the fight were impressive. It just wasn't going to be enough to stem the attack of Harada. Only in the 7th did I see Kingpetch actually go on the attack, and it worked. He really put that very effective overhand right of Harada's in check. It was clear to me it was a destructive weapon going forward, but not on the backfoot. However, by the end of the round Harada was back on the attack and didn't give up the position again and he slowly whittled down the resolve of Kingpetch. I enjoyed the fight.

William Walker and fists of fury like this.
  7. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Yeah, unfortunately Kingpetch just didn't have a punch.
    Nice breakdown!

scartissue and George Crowcroft like this.
  8. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Unfortunately, I haven't seen these fights you scored yet. I did read your posts though.

lufcrazy likes this.
  9. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Another from our FOTW.

Fighting Harada v Eder Jofre II (5 point must)

I totally loved this fight. With the first round - which I loved - I could see this was going to be one of those fights where we're riding a fine line on Jofre, the harder puncher or Harada, of the greater work rate. And many of these rounds were of the fine line variety. Nevertheless, here we go:

Round 1: 5-4 Harada
    Round 2: 5-5 Even
    Round 3: 5-4 Harada
    Round 4: 5-4 Jofre
    Round 5: 5-4 Harada
    Round 6: 5-4 Harada
    Round 7: 4-4 Even (I felt it was Harada's round, but he was deducted 1 point for butting)
    Round 8: 5-4 Harada
    Round 9: 5-4 Harada
    Round 10: 5-4 Jofre
    Round 11: 5-5 Even
    Round 12: 5-4 Jofre
    Round 13: 5-4 Harada
    Round 14: 5-4 Harada (a more liberal judge may have said 5-3 for Harada due to a very dominant round)
    Round 15: 5-4 Harada

Total: 71-65 Harada

Again, loved this fight. Harada's punch resistance was also as amazing as his engine. He took a looping right hand in the 8th that made me yell, "Whooaa!" His ability to keep Jofre on the ropes was also significant in his win. I gave Jofre rounds 10 and 12 because he kept the fight in mid ring those rounds and did well, but Harada was not to be denied and I thought he had his best round in the 14th where he grilled Jofre on the ropes. Just an outstanding bout of clean punching.

fists of fury and Jel like this.
  10. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon banned Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez II

Rounds Won/Even

Pacquiao - 1,3,4,7,9,10,12
    Marquez - 5,6,8,11
    Even - 2

Notes
    - Knockdown in Round 3 (10-8 Pacquiao).
    - Close 2nd round that could have gone to Marquez who finished strong, but Pacquiao controlled most of the round. Therefore, I scored it even.

My Scorecard
    (P)116 - 112(M)
    Winner: Pacquiao

Great fight. Competitive all the way through.A more tactical than their 1st, but nonetheless still brilliant with a lot of action & hard leather thrown (& landed). Both guys had cuts on their right eyes (Pacquiao due to a punch, Marquez due to an accidental headbutt in the 7th). They bled, sweat & paid the price for guts, glory & pride - giving the fans an entertaining night of action in an epic showdown once again.​

scartissue and Jel like this.
  11. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon banned Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Nigel Benn vs Gerald McClellan

Rounds Won/Even

Benn -2,4,7,9
    McClellan - 1,5,8
    Even - 3,6

Notes
    * McClellan scores a knockdown seconds into the opening round (10-8 McClellan).
    *McClellan scores another knockdown in Round 8 (10-8 McClellan).
    * Benn scores 2 knockdowns in Round 10 to win the fight after McClellan doesn't get up from the 2nd KD.
    * I had it a draw by the time of the stoppage

My Scorecard
    (B)86 - 86(M)
    Winner: Benn via KO 10

Review
    An instant classic & historic fight between two brutal warriors. It had everything you'd want in a fight - action,drama & an exhilarating atmosphere. Non-stop action from beginning to end. The British crowd were enthusiastic & engaged with the fight from start to finish - rampantly cheering on their man Benn. Tragedy struck at the end for McClellan which is very sad & unfortunate - but we got an all-time classic & the greatest SMW fight to date.​

Jel likes this.
  12. Jel

Jel Reserving the right to be inconsistent Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Jeff Harding v Dennis Andries 3

Not quite as intense as their first fight but this was still a fitting end to a fine series.

I had it a bit wider than the official scores. I thought Harding did the more consistent work and Andries attacks got increasingly ragged over the second half of the fight as he tired. He was looking for big, looping bombs to land but missed a lot. Harding, by contrast, kept his attacks in a tighter radius and went through the middle with straighter punches.

Harding is a bit like his countryman and namesake Jeff Fenech - he continues to come forward and use volume as his primary weapon in an attempt to overwhelm his opponent. My sense here was his conditioning wasn't quite the same as it was in the first fight they had but it was still pretty impressive. Hard by name and hard by nature.

1 9-10
    2 9-10
    3 10-9
    4 10-9
    5 10-9 (close and difficult to score. Harding with the more consistent output but Andries landed the bigger punches)
    6 9-10 (close again)
    7 10-9 (some excellent exchanges but Harding took it)
    8 10-9 (Harding is landing more. Andries is trying to land bombs but missed a lot in that round)
    9 9-10 (close)
    10 10-9
    11 10-9 (better quality from Harding. Andries looked ragged)
    12 10-9

Harding 116-112 Andries