the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Scar, I just watched this. Comparing scores, we only disagreed on round 3.

Jesse James Leija vs Francisco Bojado

JJL : FB

1: 10 - 9
    2: 8 - 10
    Beautiful work from Bojada.
    3: 9 - 10
    Very close. I favoured Bojado's earlier work.
    4: 10 - 9
    Leija more substantial
    5: 10 - 9
    6: 10 - 9
    7: 10 - 9
    Awesome in fighting from Leija.
    8: 9 - 10
    9: 10 - 9
    10: 10 - 9

TOTAL: 96 - 93 LEIJA

Notes:
    • I'm a sucker for the old veteran bringing it on and winning fights he's not supposed to. Bojado showed flashes of talent, such as incredibly fluid movement and body punches, but gives up his position and randomly loses concentration alongside being lackadaisical. Leija never really made an unnecessary move here and it is brilliant to watch.

This content is protected

Jel, scartissue and George Crowcroft like this.
  2. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    And I wouldn't call that 3rd round much of a disagreement either. Yeah, I too like seeing the old guy pull one back from history every now and then. Just to show the young guys I may be old, but I'm not dead.

3. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Chiquita Gonzalez v Michael Carbajal I

George, haven't seen this one in years. Saw your post and had to check it out again. And I just loved it. No point in running a card here after your summation. We had the same score and the same as all 3 judges. However, we did differ on rounds 4 and 6, which is to be expected with the kind of leather being thrown. Great fight, though.

4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    My Pop and I text back and forth when there are fights on TV. Usually he tells me there’s something coming on that night or that weekend, sometimes I tell him.

It’s obviously been a few years now, but I got an impulse to get the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight on the day of and then thought, ‘Hey, maybe my Pop would like to come watch.’ This is when we were living in the same town. So I called him and he insisted on bringing over wings and snacks and came over with an armful (more than we could have done in a weekend — that’s my Pop) and we had a great time watching and talking boxing.

We’ve been fortunate in the last few years that I’ve been in town a couple of times when there have been fights on TV and I always make sure to watch with him.

He took me to my first fight (local amateurs, smoker-type competition) and sparked my interest. We also went to some pro cards over the years and we went to a bunch of the closed circuit theater/arena events when they were doing those during the Leonard-Duran-Hearns-Hagler era.

You never know when your opportunities to do something like that might end, so I try to take advantage of them while I can.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    roughdiamond, scartissue and Jel like this.
  5. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Dude, you're on the right track. I took full advantage of it right up to the bitter end. My wife would watch me with earnest as I would pace around the living room waiting for him to come over for a big fight. He was getting on in years and he had a bit of a drive over to my house. My stomach would settle when I would see the headlights from his big Dodge Dakota shine through the window as he pulled up in my driveway. It was like all was well with the world again when Pops and I were settled in for the fights. Good times.

Saintpat and roughdiamond like this.
  6. BoxxyMcBoxface

BoxxyMcBoxface Member Full Member

Apr 13, 2020
    So I watched both Bellew vs Chilemba fights last night and uhhhhhhhhhhhh... I basically got the same score more or less for both of them? Quite literally.

Bellew vs Chilemba I & II
    Round 1: Bellew
    Round 2: Chilemba (fight I)/ Bellew (fight II)
    Round 3: Bellew
    Round 4: Bellew
    Round 5: Chilemba
    Round 6: Bellew
    Round 7: Chilemba
    Round 8: Chilemba
    Round 9: Bellew
    Round 10: Chilemba
    Round 11: Chilemba
    Round 12: Bellew

By some strange coincidence, I scored these fights nearly identically save for round 2. I had the first fight a draw at 114 apiece as was the final score, and the second fight I had bellew winning 115-113. These two fights happened surprisingly close together, with only 8 weeks separating the two fights

roughdiamond likes this.
  7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Ricardo Cardona v Leo Randolph

Jel, I was ready to submit this one when I checked to see if anyone checked it out. And lo and behold I found your post. Here we go.

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 3: 10-9 Cardona
    Round 4: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 5: 10-8 Cardona (scores a knockdown)
    Round 6: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 7: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 8: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 9: 10-9 Cardona
    Round 10: 10-10 Even
    Round 11: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 12: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 13: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 14: 10-9 Randolph
    Round 15: Randolph stops Cardona

Total through 14 completed rounds: 136-131 Randolph (actual scores: 138-132, 138-132 and 138-133 all for Randolph)

Although I saw this fight live back in '80, I had forgotten what a good fight it was. Moreover, if I didn't know the result of this fight, I don't think I would have given Leo much of a chance after the first round. Man, that left eye appeared almost closed after the first. Fought in a phone booth most of the fight, these two swapped some beauties throughout. Great win for Leo.

8. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Marco Antonio Barrera vs Rocky Juarez I

MAB : RJ

1: 10 - 9 Very close opener
    2: 10- 9 Again, real close
    3: 9 - 10 Quality round - Barrera rocked in closing
    4: 10 - 9 Close
    5: 10 - 10 Barrera just even it with late work. Juarez defense extrmemly understated.
    6: 10 - 9 Quality!

7: 10 - 9
    8: 9 - 10
    9: 9 - 10 Barrera mostly defending but tries to steal it too late
    10: 9 - 10 Very close, Quality exchanges
    11: 10 - 9 What a war!
    12: 9 - 10 Good finale.

TOTAL: 115 - 114 BARRERA

Notes:
    • Awesome technical war, with an incredible round 3 and 11. I totally agreed with the initial draw verdict tbh - either man could've won by a point. Still, Barrera got it in the end with that fiasco. Neither showed much distinction from the other. Rocky has an extremely subtle style which is very effective but not high in quantity. Barrera's jab was beautiful.

scartissue and George Crowcroft like this.
  9. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    Eder Jofre vs Jose Legra

EJ : JL

1: 9 - 10 Legra working and moving
    2: 10 - 10 Both men with excellent defense. Very close.
    3: 9(8?)- 10 Jofre rocked at the end. If that wasn't ruled a KD, it really should've been.
    4: 10 - 9 Quality round. Jofre landing. Legra rocked
    5: 10 - 9 Some beautiful setups from Jofre. Blatant headbutt from Legra.
    6: 9 - 10 Legra boxing wonderfully here. Groovy.

7: 9 - 10 Legra rough here. Rabbit punching, holding, but it does stifle Jofre.
    8: 10 - 9 Jofre with the close range work. Legra constantly holding.
    9: 10 - 9 Jofre, just, with some effective late work.
    10: 9 - 10
    11: 9 - 10 Ridiculous headbutt from Legra. How was he not penalised? Unfortunately, he won the round.
    12: 10 - 9 Jofre really pressuring.

13: 10 - 9 Close.
    14: 9 - 10 Jofre really hurt but rallies back!
    15: 10 - 9(8?) Great finale. Point deduction?

TOTAL = 143 - 143 DRAW or 142 - 143 LEGRA or 143 - 142 JOFRE or 142 - 142 DRAW

Notes:
    • Seriously close and I'm unsure about some of the referees calls here. Either way, a neck and neck fight which was also very rough, which was surprising, especially from Legra, who committed nearly every foul in the book. Historic moment for the older veteran Jofre - Featherweight champion!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    scartissue and George Crowcroft like this.
  10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Rough, I first saw this about 3 years ago. I see you made notes about head butts. I made notes that points were deducted for holding. I just don't remember those moments now. But here is what I wrote at the time:

Here is a bout I only recently discovered was out there. The 1973 featherweight title bout between Jose Legra and Eder Jofre. It had good moments early and eventually got a bit sloppy, but still a decent fight. Just a headsup, there is about a 10 second delay between audio and video. You'll hear the Brazilian audience screaming at everything Jofre throws. Anyways, here we go, 10 point system in effect.

Round 1: 10-9 Legra
    Round 2: 10-9 Legra
    Round 3: 10-8 Legra (Legra scores a knockdown)
    Round 4: 10-9 Jofre
    Round 5: 9-9 Even (I felt Legra won the round but he lost a point for holding)
    Round 6: 10-9 Jofre
    Round 7: 10-9 Legra
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 Legra
    Round 11: 10-9 Jofre
    Round 12: 10-9 Jofre
    Round 13: 10-9 Jofre
    Round 14: 10-9 Legra
    Round 15: 10-8 Jofre (another point deducted from Legra for again what appeared to be holding)

Total: 142-142 Draw

A lot of these rounds were close guys, so a lot of you can have different scores, but this was the way I saw it.

11. roughdiamond

Jul 25, 2015
    I didn't realise the point deduction in the 5th. This was a tight fight and a good test for scoring. I'd like to see some other scores but we'll probably be alone with this one.

12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Michael Carbajal v Chiquita Gonzalez II

Everyone was hyped for this return match after the war they put on first time around. But it was an action dud in comparison. Still, I did enjoy watching Chiquita's style change which I wouldn't have believed at the time. The version I watched had American announcers but they were droned out by an overlapping Russian (I think) version. Anyways, here we go.

Round 1: 10-9 Carbajal
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Carbajal
    Round 4: 10-9 Carbajal
    Round 5: 10-9 Gonzalez
    Round 6: 10-9 Gonzalez
    Round 7: 10-9 Gonzalez
    Round 8: 10-9 Gonzalez
    Round 9: 10-9 Gonzalez
    Round 10: 10-9 Gonzalez
    Round 11: 10-9 Gonzalez
    Round 12: 10-9 Gonzalez

Total: 117-112 Gonzalez (actual scores: 117-113, 115-113 both for Gonzalez and a 115-114 for Carbajal for a Gonzalez split win)

Gonzalez started out defensively and really stayed that way - fighting a sort of negative fight. Carbajal wasn't really catching him with much, but he was the only one really doing the fighting. But in the 4th Gonzalez picked up a nasty cut that was getting a lot of attention from the ref and the doctor and starting in the 5th, Gonzalez started to fight. He fought beautifully from there on and Carbajal never really had a plan B. The fight wasn't scintillating but I thought the right man got it. Incidentally, although the announcing team is droned out by the Russian dialogue, I did notice in the 9th round, the American team - which I know was Sean O'Grady and I think possibly Tom Kelly - started to argue with one another on how the fight was unfolding. And they kept it up throughout the round. I was really stunned. I don't think I've ever heard an announcing team get combative. I don't mean come to blows stuff. But their disagreement just wouldn't let up during the round. They prattled away from the beginning to end of the 9th round. Too funny.

roughdiamond likes this.
  13. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    The only other score on this bout when I hit the search engine was from @AlFrancis , who had it 143-141 for Legra. Definitely a very close bout.

14. Quick Cash

Quick Cash Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Two from the past year:

Lomachenko 6, 8, 9, 10, 11
    Lopez 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 12
    Draw 7

Jacobs 1, 4, 6, 8
    Rosado 5, 10, 11
    Draw 2, 3, 7, 9, 12

15. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Kostya Tszyu v Rafael Ruelas

I was looking for something today that would be part barn-burner and competitive. Well...this wasn't it. As one-sided as it it gets. No sense running a card here. Before it was stopped in the 9th round I had Tszyu leading 80-70 through 8 completed rounds. There were no knockdowns but I gave Tszyu the 1st and the 8th by 10-8 margins because I felt he battered Rafael in both those rounds (despite Rafael catching Tszyu late in the first, it was still a battering). This was not a washed up Ruelas. He was on a 9 bout unbeaten streak, but Tszyu was simply too much for him and was superior in every department except heart.