the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Antonio Cervantes v Hector Thompson

Hector Thompson received a shot at Roberto Duran's lightweight title in '73 even though he really didn't deserve it at the time, but gave a terrific account of himself in the bout and started coming into his prime a little more than a year later. This was peak Thompson against Cervantes in a fight I did not know was out there.

Round 1: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 2: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 5: 10-9 Thompson
    Round 6: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 7: 10-9 Cervantes
    The fight was stopped either by the ref or Thompson's corner (difficult to tell) before the 8th round due to a cut.

Total through 7 completed rounds: 69-65 Cervantes (actual scores not known)

Thompson was strong as hell and had a strong jab and except for the 4th round, he kept every round tight. Cervantes on the other hand continually speared Thompson with that long, sharp jab and would occasionally follow with a big right. That jab simply kept Thompson at bay. The 4th round was a biggie for Cervantes as he really slathered Thompson along the ropes for really, the only dominant round. This fight had the earmarks of a distance fight except for the cut. Unfortunately, the film was so poor you really couldn't even see the cut. I'll bet this fight would have been something in our high-def standards today.

2. channy

channy 4.7.33 banned Full Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Remember watching the McDonnell fight, yeah that cut was bad, if I remember correctly as soon as Jim landed, it's opened and Jim instantly backed off as if to assess the damage.

scartissue likes this.
  3. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I watched the Aaron Pryor vs Antonio Kid Pambele Cervantes WBA Junior Welterweight Title bout from Aug 2 1980, it looked like Pryor slipped in round 1, the canvas was slippery, the announcer Tim Ryan stated that. But Pryor did put Cervantes away in a spectacular way. I remember I saw this fight live on the CBS Sports Spectacular, fights were great on network television, they were free.

4. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Lionel Rose v Fighting Harada

Outstanding and remarkably composed performance from a not-yet-20 year old challenger who took a brilliant champion's best and came back to dominate him down the stretch.

The first half of the fight was close with Rose starting well before Harada fought his way in and got Rose trading with him. This suited Harada but the 9th was where the fight started to turn more clearly in Rose's favour with a flash knockdown. Rose was trading on even terms and looked like he was landing the harder punches, the volume from the Japanese fighter becoming less effective and the accurate counters keeping him slightly off balance. By the 13th, Harada had tired noticeably and Rose had gone up another level, putting him under significant pressure in the 14th. To his credit, Harada fought back hard in the 15th like the champion he was, but it was too late.

A great debut title winning peformance from an unsung champion during a golden age of the bantamweight division.

1. 10-9
    2. 10-9
    3. 9-10 (close)
    4. 10-9 (brilliant stuff from both fighters but Rose is fighting superbly)
    5. 9-10
    6. 9-10 (warning for Rose from ref. Point deduction?)
    7. 9-10 (close, Volume from Harada but accurate countering from Rose)
    8. 10-9 (Rose has been a bit flat footed in the previous few rounds but now he is moving again and to good effect)
    9. 10-9 (a sharp counter right from Rose makes Harada touch down briefly and Rose goes down too, though off balance and not from a punch. The ref picks up the count but I only make it a one point round for Rose.)
    10. 10-9 (close. Again, great movement combined with pinpoint countering from Rose shades it)
    11. 10-10 (very close. Harada throwing some good combos to the head and body but Rose giving as good as he gets. Ref warns Rose again but no point deduction)
    12. 10-9 (Rose countering keeping Harada off balance)
    13. 10-9 (Really good round for Rose who seems in control now. Harada's attacks seem a little more desperate than before and he seems weary with the sharp counters from Rose having more impact)
    14. 10-9 (a straight right early in the round wobbles Harada and it's Rose's combinations that seem to have more sting to them.)
    15. 9-10 (close. Harada might have just shaded it on volume)

Rose 145-141 Harada

5. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Johnny Tapia vs Rolando Bohol

JT : RB

1: 10 - 9 Tapia extremely aggressive.
    2: KO Body shot!

Notes:
    • Tapia completely walked through the southpaw Bohol. A dominant, walk through offensive performance.

This content is protected

The Fighting Yoda and Jel like this.
  6. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Veeraphol Sahaphrom vs Toshikai Nishioka

VS : TN

1: 10 - 9 Not much to score. V landed a few strafing rights and a hook. Could be even.
    2: 10 - 9 Again, very close. I almost scored even 'til V's last attacks
    3: 10 - 10 Hard to score. Veeraphol is accurate but N is more active.
    4: 10 - 9 Action livening up now.
    5: 9 - 10 Close, aggressive action. N timing the left body shot.
    6: 10 - 9 Veeraphol forcing the action. Lovely right hand to the body.

7: 10 - 9 Veeraphol on aggression. Nishioka backpedalling and too inactive.
    8: 9 -10 Close. Nishioka coming alive in the first half.
    9: 9 - 10 Very close exchanges. Nishioka super fast.
    10: 10 - 10 Both strafing and landing in equal measure.
    11: 10 - 9 Nishioka took too much time off.
    12: 9 - 10 Class finale.

TOTAL: 116 - 114 SAHAPHROM

Notes:
    • An interesting clash of styles and attributes. Veeraphol ultimately turned out to be the more accurate and effective fighter.
    • Very closely matched.
    • A good start to an interesting quadrilogy.

scartissue, The Fighting Yoda and Jel like this.
  7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Philly, I checked this fight out today and then checked a bit of our history on it and came across your post. I know it's controversial and a hot-point with some, but I gotta tell ya, I don't disagree with you.

Jose Luis Ramirez v Pernell Whitaker I

Round 1: 10-9 Whitaker
    Round 2: 10-9 Whitaker
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Whitaker
    Round 5: 10-9 Ramirez
    Round 6: 10-9 Ramirez
    Round 7: 10-9 Ramirez
    Round 8: 10-9 Ramirez
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 Ramirez
    Round 11: 10-9 Whitaker
    Round 12: 10-9 Whitaker

Total: 115-115 Draw (actual scores: 118-113 and 116-115 both for Ramirez and a 117-113 for Whitaker for a split win for Ramirez)

The first time I saw this live I didn't put pen to paper but thought half-heartedly, 'Yeah, Whitaker is probably going to get this but he doesn't deserve it.' I was amazed he didn't get the verdict but that was due to all the media hype on Whitaker, not for what went on in the ring. At the time, I just didn't feel like he won and that was down to the way the fight unfolded. Anyways, to clarify after watching this again, Whitaker boxed nicely early but by the time the middle of the fight came along he was quite literally running (I counted 5 times he actually turned his back and ran). This was not ring generalship. This was running and chasing. Now if he was at least firing while running I could make more of a case for him but Ramirez did far better on the chase than the announcing team gave him credit for. In fact, they gave him credit for nothing. I watched the telecast with Don Chevier (spelling) and Angelo Dundee. And you could not have found two bigger Pernell Whitaker cheerleaders than these two. Never once did I hear 'Good left hook by Ramirez' or 'Great pressure'. Nothing. However, they would acknowledge at the end of a round where they were lauding Whitaker's efforts, 'Ramirez likely took that round'. I was thinking, 'Really? You never said a thing what he did well.' I almost laughed out loud when one of them talked about Whitaker's 'wincing body shots'. Anyways, I felt Whitaker came off his bike somewhat those last two rounds to fight out of the pocket and took those rounds on my card. But I gotta say, zone out on the announcers and watch this for what actually occurs in the ring. I just don't see it as the robbery it is made out to be. One other thing, I never saw Whitaker fight this kind of running fight again, so he definitely learned from this and made him a better fighter.

roughdiamond and Jel like this.
  8. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Ray Leonard (c) vs. Dave “Boy” Green, scheduled for 15 rounds for the WBC welterweight championship on March 30, 1980, at the Capital Center in Landover, Maryland.

Leonard, 23, comes in 26-0 (17) and weighs 147 for his first defense of the crown he won by defeating Wilfred Benitez. He hails from nearby Palmer Park, Maryland.

Green is 33-2 (26) and also 147 at age 26. This is his second challenge for the WBC belt, having been stopped by Carlos Palomino in a competitive fight. He comes from Chatteris, Cambridge, England, and is ranked No. 10 by the WBC.

Leonard is a 6-1 favorite.

The bout is televised in prime time by ABC, which carried four title fights from three locations for a night of fights. Eddie Mustafa Muhammad took the WBA light heavyweight title from Marvin Johnson via stoppage and John Tate lost his WBA heavyweight championship to Mike Weaver earlier in Knoxville, Tennessee. Larry Holmes would cap the night by stopping Leroy Caldwell after Leonard’s fight.

Round 1: Leonard 10-9 — Green stalks, very front-foot heavy, but doesn’t throw much and when he does he can’t land. Ray takes it with his jab and a few hooks.

Round 2: Leonard 10-9 — Dave “Boy” comes out swinging and mostly missing but lands a few good body shots. Leonard does a bit of body work of his own and controls the action with his pinpoint jab and a couple of nice combinations.

Round 3: Leonard 10-9 — Green is even more aggressive but the speed difference is startling. He wings punches as he comes forward but Leonard mostly evades. The champion does some good body work and begins sitting down on his combinations a little more.

Round 4: Leonard is even more flat-footed, giving little ground and nailing Green repeatedly with jabs and clean shots. Late in the round Leonard unleashes a right uppercut-left hook combo, pauses for a split second then throws a looping right that misses but sets up a sizzling left hook that knocks Dave “Boy” out cold before he hits the canvas. Referee Arthur Mercante waves it off before completing the 10-count but he could have counted to 100. KO at 2:27 of the fourth.

It’s as good a shot as you’ll ever see. This is peak Leonard, less than three months before the first Duran fight. He’s in total command against a competent challenger and knows it.

scartissue and Jel like this.
  9. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Wonderful account. I remember thinking it was a very close and competitive fight and that Jose Luis Ramirez was giving Sweet Pea a tough time. I didn’t think he’d get a decision but this shouldn’t have been controversial.

scartissue likes this.
  10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I checked out 2 Frank Bruno fights today that I'd been meaning to see. The first is

Frank Bruno v Joe Bugner

Never saw it before but I remember well when it took place as I had been admiring Bug's comeback with those wins over Tillis, Page and Bey. Still can't believe it was 34 years ago. No point in running a card here. I only gave Bug a share of the 5th. He gave it a go and flurried often but nothing that could really offset Frank. Bruno was so hot this night. Always loved his jab. It was delivered in ones but it was such a hard jab. I think the ref let big Frank get away with a few indiscretions here. Especially in the 8th when Bug was practically in a sitting position on the ropes and Frank was allowed to pound him on top of the head and back of the head. But regardless, I had Frank ahead 70-67 on the UK's 10-9 1/2 scoring through 7 completed rounds. Not sure if the 8th should be counted as it was stopped at the 3:00 mark. No official score mentioned, so it is what it is.

Lennox Lewis v Frank Bruno (for Lewis' heavyweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Lewis
    Round 2: 10-9 Bruno
    Round 3: 10-9 Bruno
    Round 4: 10-9 Lewis
    Round 5: 10-9 Bruno
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: Lewis stops Bruno

Total through 6 completed rounds: 58-57 Bruno (actual scores: 57-57, 57-57 and 59-55 for Bruno)

An excellent fight, one which Bruno made Lewis to look quite ragged at times. Frank had that ramrod of a jab working so well but Lewis was a bit more versatile with his punches and it was simply a case of Bruno just got caught in the 7th and Lewis was not about to let him off the hook with the kind of fight he was putting up. Well worth watching.

roughdiamond likes this.
  11. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Khaosai Galaxy v Armando Castro

I was conversing with @Kamikaze today on this fight. Here is how I had it:

This was a really good bout, but I was stunned at the scorecards.

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-8 Castro (scores a knockdown)
    Round 3: 10-9 Galaxy
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Castro
    Round 6: 10-9 Galaxy
    Round 7: 10-9 Castro
    Round 8: 10-9 Castro
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 Castro
    Round 11: 10-8 Galaxy (scores a knockdown)
    Round 12: 10-9 Castro

Total: 116-113 Castro (actual scores: 117-109, 117-109 and 117-111 all for Galaxy)

Galaxy had to have been wondering "Hey, I'm the big banger, why am I running, taking potshots and generally getting my butt kicked?" Castro's whirlwind attack had to seem quite foreign to him. And it was also quite effective in my book. He may have missed 2 out of 3, but there was another three shots headed towards Galaxy again, and again. Castro never gave him breathing room and despite taking some nice counters from Galaxy, he suffocated him with his attack. I really believe Castro was robbed here.

roughdiamond and Kamikaze like this.
  12. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I wholeheartedly agree my card is partially torn so I’m missing some rounds (I’ll rewatch the fight today) I have 8 rounds scored.

Round 1KG
    Round 2+1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 AC
    The missing rounds are draws.
    This fight was competitive but not particularly close for these first 8 I remember how helpless Khaosai was up close and how he kept shoving and wrestling Castro in close and being caught every time he made space, rinse and repeat expect occasionally Khaosai would land something meaningful more a byproduct of his chin then ability TBH.

Khaosai retiring makes me think our cards are correct. I don’t think Castro would’ve ever sniffed a rematch anyway because it was a “Shut out” on paper.

scartissue and roughdiamond like this.
  13. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I had the last 4 2-2 + the point from the knockdown. A bit closer then your card but all in all I think the deserving winner was obvious.
    In like how at the end of the fight Khaosai has his hand raised twice by Castro with no reaction from the crowd and then again from the ref again complete silence. Though I did love how Galaxy shook I presume his wife's hand through the ropes straight after the win lol.

roughdiamond and scartissue like this.
  14. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Juan Manuel Marquez vs Juan Diaz I

Rounds Won

Marquez - 3,6,7,8
    Diaz - 1,2,4,5​
    Notes
    * Round 5, 6, & 7 were very close & could have gone either way, but I think that Diaz won the 5th with his extra pressure & volume, while Marquez won the 6th & 7th with his sharper counterpunches.
    * Marquez scores 2 KD's in Round 9 to win the bout.
    * I had the fight even at the time of the stoppage.​

My Scorecard
    (M)76 - 76(D)
    Winner: Marquez TKO 9

Review
    This was one hell of a fight back in 2009 between the 2 Juan's. Diaz started fast, taking the fight to the Marquez & was outworking him early. Marquez briefly turned things around in the 3rd, as his counterpunches started to land more effectively, but Diaz resumed control of the action & dictated the pace for the next 2 rounds. It was finally in the 6th that Marquez finally found his rhythm after being somewhat uncomfortable early - as he now completely turned the tide in his favour, landing his signature counterpunches almost at will. He badly hurt Diaz near the end of the 8th round & put the exclamation mark on it in the 9th with 2 big KD's - with the referee ultimately waving it off after the 2nd KD. This is an underrated classic that was definitely FOTY for 2009.​

roughdiamond and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  15. TheMikeLake

TheMikeLake Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I'm confused but I thought I posted this. Super tough fight to score.

Tony Tucker vs. Orlin Norris

Tucker-Norris

10-9 close
    9-10 Great defense by Orlin
    10-9 another close one
    10-9
    10-9 What do you like better, Tucker’s ring generalship, or Norris’s one or two flurries a round
    9-10 Another tough one to score.
    10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    9-9 Norris loses point for low blows
    9-10
    9-10

115-112

Official cards read - 117-110 and 116-111 for Tucker, and 114-113 for Norris. Giving Tucker the SD Win.

A lot of the rounds are just a matter of personal opinion, meaning what you prefer in a fighter. Tucker seemed the better boxer, but man did Norris have good defense. Norris was only 5ft 9, reaching way up to try to punch Norris, which he did quite a few times. Dr. Pacheco really tore Tucker a new one for most of the fight, so I can see how one could be persuaded into giving Norris the win, however I just didn't see it. He certainly had his moments, and had the more flashier style, with the big looping shots, but Tucker gave a pretty good boxing performance here. Okay fight, but on a strategic point of view and on how you personal score a fight, this fight could have a dozen different outcomes from a dozen different people.

roughdiamond and scartissue like this.