the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Glad you liked it, Jel. I think your summation on the fight is spot-on. A comparison to Corrales-Castillo is quite apt.

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  2. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    You uncovered a gem with this fight, Scar. I have a list of the best fights of the 90s and I didn't have that one on there - it is now.

And props as always to the Ironbar Boxing channel, one of the best on YouTube.

scartissue likes this.
  3. Young Terror

Young Terror ★ Griselda ★ Full Member

May 9, 2012
    I remember seeing the Garza vs Ishy fight back in the day and to me this is still the best Mexico vs Japan fight ive ever seen and theres been some great fights between fighters from those two nations.

scartissue and Jel like this.
  4. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Bobo Olson v Randy Turpin (vacant middleweight title)

Thanks to @William Walker for putting this on our radar. NY scoring in effect.

Round 1: Turpin
    Round 2: Turpin
    Round 3: Even
    Round 4: Olson
    Round 5: Turpin
    Round 6: Olson
    Round 7: Olson
    Round 8: Turpin
    Round 9: Olson (scores a knockdown)
    Round 10: Olson (scores a knockdown)
    Round 11: Olson
    Round 12: Olson
    Round 13: Olson
    Round 14: Even
    Round 15: Turpin

Total: 8-5-2 Olson (actual scores: 8-7, 9-4-2 and 11-4 all for Bobo Olson)

To sum up Olson, he was neither puncher nor boxer, he was a fighter, which was a failing of his or maybe a product of the live gate expectations. He did not have a punch and was always getting stuck in rather than stay outside and box. That being said, he took advantage of everything that came his way in this fight. Turpin was stronger and hit harder but I didn't like the way he would back off to the ropes, drop his hands and try to roll/duck the punches coming at him. That may have worked with lesser fighters but Olson was timing every jink and slip that Turpin would pull on the ropes and that was where Olson's greatest success was realized. Even the crowd could see it as they would start screaming just as Olson would near Randy to the ropes. Not a barn-burner but something I still enjoyed seeing for its historical worth and the insight I still crave on fighters of the past.

Saintpat, William Walker and Jel like this.
  5. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Pat, I remember the card and until you mentioned it, I forgot that they only showed highlights of the bout. What I remember about it was - I believe - between rounds 9 and 10 Gomez developed a small slice in one of his gloves and a cornerman sticking his finger in it and the announcer saying, "Well, now he made it worse!" But I'm not sure if they even bothered to change the glove. All I recall was that Gomez suddenly turned the dial up and went all out stopping Mendoza in the 10th of a hard fight. Mendoza gave him a lot of trouble. I'd love to see it in its entirety too.

Jel and Saintpat like this.
  6. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Great post scar. Our scores seem nearly exact even down to us agreeing on most of the rounds.

scartissue likes this.
  7. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Watched a few fights in sections but not their entirety

Hatton vs Lazcano gave Hatton all 6 of the rounds I watched. Ugly mauling fight that got me bored. Lazcano was very weary of opening up, when he jabbed he did ok and could land his left hook. Hatton just fell in and mauled, he had fast hands and ripped the body but he left his head out in the open a lot.

De La Hoya vs Quartey I watched the first 3 rounds and scored all 3 to De La Hoya just felt he eeked out the rounds even when they were closely competed for. Quartey did score one big right hand in the second round. I'll have to finish this one, was pretty banged up and had to throw in the towel.

Canelo vs Golovkin II I did not score the fight I had it on while running on the treadmill and on the bike, I was keeping a loose tally of rounds starting at round 2 and had Canelo win. It was a close fight but I just see Canelo coming forward, hitting the body and his punches moved Golovkin where as he for the most part ate what Golovkin had.

8. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Also Ali against Bonavena found a good upload watched 5 or 6 different rounds. I really liked Ali's left hook in this fight. In spots it reminded me of the way Mayweather knocked out Hatton. Bonavena did this little lean before charging in and Ali would hit him with this sharp left hook. I think the first nice hook I remember was in the 5th or so. Had to put on Ali vs Moore to see him younger and quicker after seeing the slowed Ali post exile

9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Watched 2 fights today with an abbreviated ending. One bad, one good. We'll start with the bad.

Mike Anchondo v Jorge Barrios (jr. lightweight title)

Anyone thinking Buster Douglas' non-effort against Holyfield was the all-time worst needs to check this fight out. To begin, Anchondo, the defending champ, loses the title on the scales in his first defense by coming in a whopping 4 3/4 pounds over the limit.

Round 1: 10-9 Barrios
    Round 2: 10-9 Barrios
    Round 3: 10-8 Barrios (scores a knockdown)
    Round 4: Anchondo is down twice more in the 4th and then the ref deducts 2 points from Barrios for hitting Anchondo when he was down, then Anchondo's cornerman Buddy McGirt stops the bout before the bout can resume.

My score, like all 3 of the judges was 30-26 for Barrios (if the bout reached the end of the 4th, I still would have given Barrios the 4th round by an 8-7 score.

Man, I have never seen a fighter give a greater non-effort than Anchondo. He looked half-asleep, fat, bored and looking like he wanted to be somewhere else. Barrios, for his part, came in in-shape and ready to go. He'll never be mentioned among the greats, but he gave an honest effort. He realized the money is with the title (unlike Anchondo did) and went on to defend his title 3 times. Good for him. I will also mention that 2 point deduction for hitting when a man is down. It would have got nothing more than a caution from me. Anchondo was hanging onto him and there wasn't much to the punch he landed. 2 points was ridiculous. I have seen far worse with intent that received no call at all. BTW, check out the conversation between McGirt and Anchondo between rounds 3 and 4. He clearly wouldn't have taken much coaxing to quit then and there and I think McGirt knew it too. I would recommend watching this fight only for the aberration that it was.

The good.

Humberto Soto v Lucas Matthysse (10 rounds)

Round 1: 10-9 Soto
    Round 2: 10-9 Soto
    Round 3: 10-9 LM
    Round 4: 10-9 LM
    Round 5: 10-8 LM (scores a knockdown)
    Soto's corner retires him between rounds

Total: 48-46 Matthysse (actual scores: 48-46 and 49-45 both for Soto and a 47-47)

After a slow first round this bout really started to heat up. Soto's speedy combos against Matthysse's hard punching was really making this a fight crowd's dream. I was somewhat stymied by the scores. Man, this appeared to be cookbook scoring with the way LM took over in this bout. How 2 judges had Soto ahead is perplexing. Clearly, one of the judges didn't even give LM a 2 point round for the 5th, unless I read this backwards. Still, a good fight while it lasted.

10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Yoko Gushiken v Rigoberto Marcano I (jr. flyweight title)

5 point must in effect.

Round 1: 5-5 Even
    Round 2: 5-4 YG
    Round 3: 5-4 YG
    Round 4: 5-5 Even
    Round 5: 5-4 YG
    Round 6: 5-4 YG
    Round 7: 5-4 YG
    Round 8: 5-4 Marcano
    Round 9: 5-4 YG
    Round 10: 5-4 YG
    Round 11: 5-4 YG
    Round 12: 5-4 Marcano
    Round 13: 5-4 YG
    Round 14: 5-4 Marcano
    Round 15: 5-4 YG

Total: 72-65 Gushiken (actual scores: 75-67 and 70-69 both for Gushiken and a 72-68 for Marcano for a split win for Gushiken)

Rigoberto Marcano really exposed Gushiken's Achilles heel in this bout with his lack of defense to the lead right. A failing that Pedro Flores was able to exploit doe to his punch. Marcano's failure to capitalize on this was because he had absolutely no punch. He was a tidy boxer with sharp combos who knew how to use the ring and was scrappy as hell. He had no fear in trading with the heavier punching Gushiken. And although he was coming out of those exchanges second best, he was letting Gushiken know he was there. Again, a very scrappy fighter. The decision was of course, rendered along party lines and if watching it, prepare for the Japanese crowd to scream at everything Gushiken throws. Not a great fight but a decent fight and great seeing Gushiken in action.

11. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Wilfred Benitez (c) vs. Ray Leonard, scheduled for 15 rounds on Nov. 30, 1979, for the WBC welterweight championship from Caesars Palace Sports Pavilion in Las Vegas.

I didn’t realized today was the 42nd anniversary of this bout (damned I really am getting old) when I chose to watch it on my off day, but all the better.

Benitez, just 21 years old, is 38-0-1 (23) making his second defense of his second world title, which he won via decision over Carlos Palomino. He weighs 144 1/2.

Leonard, 23, is 25-0 (16) and ranked No. 2 by the WBC (I assume maybe Duran is the No. 1 contender?). He weighs a trim and ready 146.

The bout is televised in prime time on a Friday night by ABC. On the undercard, Vito Antuofermo defended his unified middleweight championship by draw vs. Marvin Hagler and, televised live from New Orleans, Marvin Johnson knocked out Victor Galindez for the WBA light heavyweight crown.

I found a lovely copy of this bout on YouTube of the ABC feed with graphics but no commentary — just live crowd sound that includes being able to hear a good bit of the cornermen between and during rounds. Linked here.

Before the introductions, we get one of the best staredowns in history as they stand nose to nose.

My scoring:

1 — Leonard 10-9: Ray lands a couple of hooks and some body shots but damn, that Benitez defense. Ray misses about 20 right hands as ‘El Radar’ does his thing. And they have another staredown for a few seconds after the bell.

2 — Leonard 10-9: Mostly misses both way but Ray makes Wilfred stumble with a jab late and that probably nips it for him.

3 — Leonard 10-9: I had this even until Leonard knocked Benitez down with a jab late. It’s a flash knockdown, no real damage, so that swung the round to Ray for me but not a two-point round.

4 — Benitez 10-9: Close, but some good work with the jab, especially as a counter, swings it Wilfred’s way.

5 — Benitez 10-9: Wilfred takes the lead, out-jabs Leonard and lands a nice clean right.

6 — Benitez 10-9: Close again; the two clash heads and Benitez emerges with a cut on his forehead, that leaks right down the middle of his face — he sticks out his tongue and licks the blood and smiles. You have to love this guy.

7 — Leonard 10-9: Ray gets his left hand going and lands a couple of rights late to seal the round.

8 — Leonard 10-9: He’s throwing more combinations now, finishing with his left, which lands often enough.

9 — Leonard 10-9: Best action round of the fight to this point as they exchange punches. Ray finishes stronger.

10 — Benitez 10-9: Wilfred’s best round, he takes the initiative and lands several clean shots.

11 — Leonard 10-9: But shots from Ray, he knocks Wilfred’s mouthpiece out and takes control; some gritty work from Wilfred off the ropes as he competes throughout the round.

12 — Benitez 10-9: Close (as are more of the rounds I gave Wilfred, while many of Ray’s are much clearer in his favor), pace really slows here.

13 — Leonard 10-9: Ray picks up the pace and lets his hands go and Wilfred just doesn’t have the ammunition at this point to keep up.

14 — Leonard 10-9: More of the same.

15 — They go toe to toe in one of the better 15th rounds you’ll see. A left hook puts Benitez down with 30 seconds left and Ray jumps in with a couple more punches (mainly I think one left hook lands) and referee Carlos Padilla steps in to stop it at 2:54 of the final round.

I had it 135-131 Leonard through 14 rounds. Official cards were 136-134, 137-130 and 137-133, all for Leonard.

Lot of close rounds in this fight. You could swing them either way and it’s either lopsided for Leonard or he’s ahead in a close bout.

There has been debate over the stoppage, but it’s worth noting this fight happened like a week after Willie Classen died from damage sustained in his fight with Wilfred Scypion, and that being in New York and boxing being covered at a higher level in those days was a pretty significant event. It’s very possible the ref may have been influenced by that fight.

This fight is a joy to watch. So much skill. Ray is an amazing guy just coming into his peak and Wilfred is a wunderkind, just so smooth. They fight in the pocket for all 15 rounds and you can count the number of clinches on one hand — I think the first was in the ninth round. And yet as close as they were, as quick/fast as they were, as good as they were … they had trouble landing even at close quarters (especially Ray with Wilfred’s defense) because of the skill.

IMO, everyone should watch this fight.

(BTW, wanted to address this: I’ve seen the narrative that Wilfred didn’t train for this fight or only trained two weeks, but no way is a guy in this kind of shape without training — he shows no sign of breathing hard or fatigue other than Ray just being stronger later and benefitting from the body work he did throughout. In short, trust your eyes.)

This content is protected

12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Mark Breland v Aaron (Superman) Davis (welterweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Davis
    Round 2: 10-9 Breland
    Round 3: 10-9 Davis (Davis decks Breland late, but Breland had controlled most of the round)
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Breland
    Round 6: 10-9 Davis
    Round 7: 10-9 Davis
    Round 8: 10-9 Breland
    Round 9: Davis KO's Breland

Total through 8 completed rounds: 77-76 Davis (actual scores: 77-74 and 76-75 both for Davis and a 76-74 for Breland)

Whatever it was about Breland, he always looked so fragile to me. It didn't help with his head straight up and his thin neck. Every jab seemed to make his head look like it was a pendulum. Davis flat out made this a physical fight. Clearly instructed to mug Breland at every turn. Mark had his moments and - in a different ring - that fight might be stopped in any other venue. Breland's face looked like hell but Davis' was severe. His right eye was badly damaged, the ref had brought up the doctor twice, so there was a need of urgency. And Davis found it in a big overhand right in the 9th, which there was no getting up from. A decent fight.

Jel likes this.
  13. He Hate Me

He Hate Me Active Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2006
    one of the biggest robberies ever.

14. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Rolando Navarette v Chung Il Choi (jr. lightweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Choi
    Round 2: 10-9 RN
    Round 3: 10-9 Choi
    Round 4: 10-9 Choi
    Round 5: 10-8 Choi (scores a knockdown)
    Round 6: 10-9 Choi
    Round 7: 10-9 RN
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-9 RN
    Round 10: 10-8 RN (scores a knockdown)
    Round 11: Navarette KOs Choi

Total through 10 completed rounds: 95-94 Choi (actual scores: 97-94 Choi, 99-96 Navarette and 95-95 Even)

I had read somewhere that this bout was some kind of scorcher. It certainly was not, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the fight and the strategies employed. It also wasn't without its share of drama and controversy. Choi quickly realized after sampling a few of Nav's shots in the 2nd that fighting on the outside was the more prudent route. And he did it well. Boxrec mentioned a shortened round in the 5th, so i had to check it out. I timed it at 10 seconds early that the bell rang ending the round. The controversy was due to the fact that Choi had just dropped Nav and right after the 8 count the bell rang. Hmmmmmmm! Up until the 7th Choi really made Nav look pedestrian. Nav looked very one-dimensional just walking after Choi trying to land a haymaker while Choi was running away with the fight boxing smartly from the outside. But starting in the 7th Nav started applying more pressure and slowly took the play away. The scorecards were, of course, on party lines. The Korean for the Korean and the Filipino for the Filipino. Man, they always needed a neutral official in the Orient. A decent fight worth watching.

Jel, Pepsi Dioxide and William Walker like this.
  15. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Scar, here's my write up and I agree it wasn't an amazing fight, just a good, tough one.

Rolando Navarette v Chung-Il Choi

Tough first defense for Navarette. Choi came to take his title and looked for a while like he might. He was busier over the first 6 rounds and was outlanding Rolando significantly early on, but from about the 7th his punch output decreased and he didn't seem to have the same snap on his punches as before. Navarette was taking the shots better too and landed more of his own and by the 9th, the tide had fully turned. As soon as Choi went down in the 10th, he was never coming back. Tough, unforgiving fight for both men.

1 9-10
    2 10-9
    3 9-10
    4 9-10
    5 8-10
    6 9-10
    7 10-9
    8 10-9
    9 10-9
    10 10-8
    (94-94)
    11 Navarette TKO Choi