the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    That's the problem. I remember it being drunk with family watching it in the Welsh Easter weather. So I didn't remember how awful it was.

Jel likes this.
  2. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Benny Paret - Gaspar Ortega I

1 Even
    2 Ortega
    3 Ortega
    4 Ortega
    5 Paret
    6 Paret
    7 Paret
    8 Ortega
    9 Ortega
    10 Even

97-95 Ortega

So i'm very sick atm so have quite a bit of time on my hands, as i'm not very active because of this fever.

Anyway onto this fight i watched this because i've seen @George Crowcroft mention this fight a few times, as being one of his favourite fights. I very much enjoyed this fight alot of great action and exchanges, i feel like whenever there was any lull in the action, Paret would do better on the outside.

And whenever they exchanged punches which was alot of times in this fight, Ortega would for me just about edge the exchanges as he would duck lower. And with Paret standing straight up he would get hit with the more telling blows.

But still a very close/exciting competitive fight, i couldn't really split them in rounds 1 and 10. I thought they fought pretty much on even in terms in them rounds.

Overall i felt like Ortega just about did enough, as i said early when they exchanged punches. For me Ortega slightly had the better of it, and i think that's what edged it for Ortega great fight though.

George Crowcroft, scartissue and Jel like this.
  3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I hope you get to feeling better and your health takes a good turn.

Ortega is an easy to overlook guy who was a heck of a fighter.

4. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Thank you appreciate it, I've never actually seen either guy fight before. Well I've seen highlights of Paret before, when he tragically died vs Griffith. But this fight was a nice introduction to both fighters.

Saintpat likes this.
  5. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    I read that Gaspar Ortega has the distinction of fighting in prime time on network television in the U.S. more often than any other fighter.

There are several reasons for this:

Gillette was hosting Friday Night Fights weekly during his career, so there was opportunity.

He wasn’t priced out of their reach — same as you wouldn’t have seen a Ray Leonard on Tuesday Night Fights (although we got the declining version of Duran and some others), some guys weren’t going to fight on TV every three or four weeks for decent money when they could instead make bigger money for bigger fights.

He was always in good fights and giving a good account of himself. Plus he was perfect for TV — they didn’t need a lot of quick knockouts, they wanted rounds, and he wasn’t a big puncher and was only stopped twice in his 176 fights, so you were probably getting 10 rounds worth of action out of him.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    D, I've watched this bout twice in my lifetime. Back in '71 or '72 and again about 4 years ago. Here is what I wrote:

Here is the Jose Napoles-Hedgemon Lewis fight. The minute's rest is deleted so it is 15 rounds straight of good, tactical boxing. Here we go on the California scoring system of one point for a round, additional point for a knockdown (N/A in this case) and no points for an even round.

Round 1: Napoles
    Round 2: Lewis
    Round 3: Even
    Round 4: Napoles
    Round 5: Napoles
    Round 6: Napoles
    Round 7: Lewis
    Round 8: Even
    Round 9: Napoles
    Round 10: Napoles
    Round 11: Napoles
    Round 12: Napoles
    Round 13: Even
    Round 14: Lewis
    Round 15: Napoles

Total: 9-3 Napoles

I recall seeing this on delay when it took place back in '71 or I saw it early in '72 and I had it for Napoles but much closer. I must be more appreciative of Napoles' body work these days, but official scores were closer than mine. It was 8-7, 8-6 and 9-4.

Fogger and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  7. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    You had more even rounds but more or less we see it the same, and yeah body punching is what caught my eye aswell. But surprising after all that body attack from Napoles, Lewis actually came on in later rounds which surprised me. Because it should of been the opposite, after all the investment with the body punching from Napoles.

scartissue likes this.
  8. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Hasim Rahman v Oleg Maskaev II (Heavyweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Rahman
    Round 2: 10-9 Rahman
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Rahman
    Round 5: 10-9 Maskaev
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Maskaev
    Round 8: 10-9 Rahman
    Round 9: 10-9 Rahman
    Round 10: 10-9 Maskaev
    Round 11: 10-9 Maskaev
    Round 12: Maskaev drops and stops Rahman

Total through 11 completed rounds: 106-105 Rahman (actual scores: 106-103 Rahman, 106-103 Maskaev and 105-104 Maskaev)

This really was amazing. There was 7 years before their first and second fights and they just picked up from where they left off with neither, seemingly, having lost anything. Like their first encounter, good, sharp punching throughout the contest with a wild ending. Good fight.

9. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    BTW guys I'm watching Bivol vs Canelo right now and will be posting scorecard after so just letting you know for spoilers.

10. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Dmitry Bivol vs Canelo Alvarez

1 Bivol
    2 Bivol
    3 Bivol
    4 Bivol
    5 Bivol
    6 Bivol
    7 Bivol
    8 Bivol
    9 Canelo
    10 Bivol
    11 Bivol
    12 Bivol

119-109 Bivol

This was a schooling just like Sturm vs ODLH, Canelo hit arms and gloves all night long. Bivol was constantly hitting him with the jab and landing solid shots, a masterpiece in defence and clean effective punching from Bivol.

The judges had it 115-113 but trust me the fight was not close at all.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Did not watch but boxing people I follow and trust on Twitter either had it fairly close to your score or up to 8-4 ish. So I’m assuming there were a few swing rounds that were debatable.

12. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Rounds 1, 4, i could possibly see an argument for making it closer. But for me it was clear as day Canelo was landing nothing, he landed in single digits in every round. Bivol had a great defence and Canelo was hitting arms and gloves all night long, whilst Bivol was effective with his jab and landing clean effective punches.

Think of this fight like ODLH vs Sturm but more one sided.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  13. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Hi Scartissue, not specifically related to this fight I had a question for you. You score rounds as even considerably more than most people. I am sure you don't see all of those even round as exactly dead even so I was curious as to how you look at the concept of what kind of advantage there should be to win a round. Thanks.

14. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    The consensus scorecard I’ve seen so far is 117-111 to Bivol (I haven’t see the fight yet), so that looks a pretty clear cut win. I can only assume that the judges unanimously decided to take two points off Bivol for Ukraine.

Fogger likes this.
  15. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    All 3 judges had Bivol losing first 4 rounds and had they gave Canelo 12th round he would of earned a draw.