the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Scar, I haven’t seen this but based off your card, it wouldn’t be the first time Collazo got the wrong end of a close fight. I always thought he was unlucky not to get something from his fight with Ricky Hatton.

KO KIDD likes this.
  2. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Pat, I remember reading something about Qawi and Scott not liking each other and that this stemmed from the time Qawi was incarcerated at Rahway. Can’t remember the details but this was considered to be a grudge match.

EDIT: Here’s an excellent article that fills in the background: https://ringsidereport.com/?p=55061

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
    Saintpat and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  3. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Brandon Rios v Mike Alvarado 1

Wow. I somehow missed this when it happened although I read about it being a war and a contender for 2012’s FOTY (which ultimately went to Marquez-Pacquiao 4).

The way this started it had the makings of another Corrales-Castillo and while it didn’t quite meet those lofty expectations either in terms of the stature of the fight or the in-the-ring action, this was a phone booth war par excellence.

My card was a lot different from the official scores (one for Rios by two points, the other two even) but every round was close. I felt that Alvarado’s more consistent output, relatively better defence and more eye-catching power punches were giving him the edge. But Rios showed incredible grit and Alvarado fell apart once he was hurt.

Great little war.

1 9-10
    2 10-10 (brutal phone booth warfare a la Corrales-Castillo)
    3 9-10 (this hurts just watching it - neither guy is ever getting confused with Willie Pep for defensive abilities but Rios in particular is wide open)
    4 9-10 (every round is close but in a fight like this it comes down to who is doing the most apparently damaging work and that seems to be Alvarado)
    5 10-9 (very close again)
    6 9-10 (Alvarado landing more accurately and consistently although Rios seemed to come back over the last minute)
    (56-59)
    7 Rios TKO Alvarado
    (Rios hurts Alvarado and is all over him. Alvarado doesn’t know how to hold on and is getting pounded - good stoppage)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    KO KIDD likes this.
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I know what you mean. The first round was teetering. Collazo had that shocking moment where he landed on Berto, who sort of fell back to the ropes. But as I saw it he wasn't hurt, just from the force of the punch. And then he really came back well in the round. If I sensed he was hurt from the shot I would have tipped the scales to Collazo in that round. But hey, perception is everything when we're scoring, which is why we don't have cookie-cutter scores.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  5. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Saw it when it took place, but going on my list for a rewatch. Thanks, Jel.

Jel likes this.
  6. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Maybe my favorite fight of the last decade for hbo they let it all hangout. Just watched it recently and was amazed by alvardaos work rate

He got grossly underestimated in the rematch

Jel likes this.
  7. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Thanks. Good read!

Jel likes this.
  8. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Amir Khan v Marcos Maidana

Excellent, hard fought contest between the fast but fragile Khan and the durable, straight-ahead Maidana.

Khan used his speed and movement effectively over the first half of the fight to build up a handy points lead before Maidana fought his way back over the second half, finishing the stronger of the two. This was probably Khan’s best performance in that he fought his way through adversity and managed to (just) stay on his feet.

My card was identical round for round with one of the three judges. The other two had it slightly wider but it was a fair decision. Khan scoring the early KD and the point dedication for Maidana were the ultimate differences.

1 10-8 (Khan hurts Maidana really badly with a combination to the body, putting him down. Virtually no time left for Khan to finish him, though)
    2 10-9 (Khan boxing well)
    3 9-10
    4 10-9
    5 10-8 (Khan won the round and Maidana was docked a point for using his elbow)
    6 9-10 (close)
    7 9-10 (better work from Maidana, trying to rough up Khan on the inside)
    8 10-9 (good work from Khan)
    9 10-9 (another good round from Khan)
    10 8-10 (Maidana has Khan in real trouble. Doesn’t score a knockdown but does everything but.)
    11 9-10 (close)
    12 9-10

Khan 113-112 Maidana

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  9. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Canelo Alvarez vs GGG I
    Rounds Won/Even
    Alvarez - 2,5,6,11
    GGG - 1,3,4,7,8,9,10,12
    Even - 0 (Many close rounds - Round 5 & 12 were the closest)​

My Scorecard
    (A)112 - 116(G)
    Winner: GGG (116 - 112)

My Review
    A good, memorable, modern day fight which will be seen as a controversial classic in the next decade. The story of the bout was this: Canelo starts fast, but fades after about a minute (as he can't sustain a 3 min attack), GGG takes over & controls the rest of the round. Both fighters displayed elite level boxing skills, defense & chins - which is nothing less to expect from elite fighters, but with expectations so low nowadays, it's always good to see elite fighter's live up to their name. There were a few swing rounds here & there, but GGG was the man controlling most of the pace & the action of the bout. Despite the fact that Canelo landed the more eye-catching shots, GGG was still the clear winner, as he was doing most of the effective work (he threw & landed more punches) as well as overall effective punches. It's a shame that a very good fight was hindered by corrupt politics & governmening bodies. Nonetheless it was a good fight for the audience & boxing fans.​

10. kingfisher3

kingfisher3 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Pernell's am career.
    This content is protected

The G-Man likes this.
  11. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Jeff Harding - Dennis Andries 1

This June 24, 1989 12-round fight was Andries' first defense of his WBC light heavyweight title.

Round 1 - 10-9 Andries - Action-packed 1st round
    Round 2 - 10-9 Harding Close - Quantity over quality for me
    Round 3 - 10-9 Andries - Third consecutive hard-hitting tough round to score
    Round 4 - 10-9 Andries - Man, Harding can take a good punch.
    Round 5 - 10-8 Andries - Harding down but not hurt. It looked like he was pushed down.
    Round 6 - 10-9 Andries Close - Both fighters slowing a bit
    Round 7 - 10-9 Harding - The Aussie does good work to the body
    Round 8 - 10-9 Harding - This is the first round where Andries looked hurt
    Round 9 - 10-9 Harding Close - Andries may have the round but he landed some good, hard punches.
    Round 10 - 10-10 Even - A lot of back and forth in this one
    Round 11 - 10-9 Harding - Great round for Harding. Andries is noticeably hurt.
    Round 12 - After Andries goes down twice, referee Joe Cortez stops the fight with Andries being hit while on the ropes.

I had this fight 105-104 Andries before the stoppage. Actual scores were 104-103, 106-103 and 107-105 all for Andries.

This fight was full of action from beginning to end. I highly recommend you give it a watch.

On a side note, Mike Tyson was at ringside, wearing red suspenders and no shirt. You have to love the 1980s. LOL

salsanchezfan likes this.
  12. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Michael Nunn vs Iran Barkley

IBF Middleweight Championship

Round 1: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 2: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 3: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 4: 10-9 Barkley
    Round 5: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Barkley
    Round 8: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 9: 10-9 Barkley (close)
    Round 10: 10-9 Barkley. Nunn to inactive for a lot of the past 2 rounds.
    Round 11: 10-9 Barkley
    Round 12: 10-9 Nunn (close)

115-114 Nunn

Actual Cards: 115-113 and 116-112 for Nunn, 114-114 Even for Nunn MD victory

Nunn clearly the better fighter I think it was only that close because he got a little complacent/hesitant in the last third of the fight.

13. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    James Toney vs Prince Charles Williams

IBF Super Middleweight Championship

Round 1: 10-9 Williams. Close but Toney took a lot of the round off.
    Round 2: 10-9 Williams. Toneys banking those body shots though
    Round 3: 10 - 10
    Round 4: 10 - 9 Williams. Toney just not active enough.
    Round 5: 10- 9 Williams
    Round 6: 10-9 Williams
    Round 7: 10- 9 Toney
    Round 8: 9-9. Toneys round but Cortez deducted a point for hitting after the bell.
    Round 9: 10-9 Toney. Close round tho Williams is really dogging him
    Round 10: 10-9 Toney. For the life of me no idea why Williams' corner told him to take it off.
    Round 11: 10-9 Toney.
    Round 12: Toney turns it on and knocks Williams out.

105-104 on my card for Williams going into the last round. Toney started really slow and had a point deduction and needed to win the last round to get a draw and instead he knocked him out. Great fighter.

14. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Fogger, watched this not too long ago. Here is what I wrote:

Dennis Andries v Jeff Harding I (light heavyweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Andries
    Round 2: 10-9 Andries
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Andries
    Round 5: 10-8 Andries (scored a knockdown)
    Round 6: 10-9 Andries
    Round 7: 10-9 Harding
    Round 8: 10-9 Harding
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 Andries
    Round 11: 10-9 Harding
    Round 12: Harding drops Andries twice and the fight is stopped

Total through 11 completed rounds: 107-103 Andries (actual scores: 106-103, 107-105 and 104-103 all for Andries)

Man, I remember watching this fight so vividly live. The last third of this bout was a nail-biter, on whether or not Harding would take out Andries - who was gassing badly. The fighters were two different animals. Harding was an accumulative combo fighter, lacking a big dig and lacking the ability to duck. Andries was amazing inasmuch as how far he went without an iota of fundamentals. He had no jab, no combos and every punch he threw was a singular bomb. Again, a nail-biter when it was live. One could opt to score differently I suppose on rounds 5 and 11. I went with the tried and true by giving Andries a 10-8 round in the 5th, but really - on replay - the knockdown was more of a forearm pull-down. But it was counted by the ref. Also, the 11th was getting close to a 10-8 for Harding, but not quite there on my card. A more liberal judge might say it was 10-8. Good fight.

Fogger likes this.
  15. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Dude, here is how I saw it. And as I wrote afterwards, a lot of these rounds could go either way. A tightness that reflects in our scores.

Michael Nunn v Iran Barkley

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 3: 10-9 Barkley
    Round 4: 10-9 Barkley
    Round 5: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 6: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 9: 10-9 Barkley
    Round 10: 10-9 Barkley
    Round 11: 10-9 Nunn
    Round 12: 10-9 Nunn

Total: 116-114 Nunn (actual scores: 114-114, 115-113 and 116-113 for a majority decision for Nunn)

What made me think of this fight was a memory that crossed my mind where Bob Arum was being interviewed post-fight and almost screaming, "Michael Nunn did not win that fight!" I believe he was promoting him at the time and after the Kalambay fight, great things were expected of him and this was not it. Today I watched a telecast aired by British TV but Al Bernstein was commentating. After the decision was announced the British TV presenter stated something like Arum wanted to drop Nunn for lack of entertainment value. And I kinda agree. Nunn simply was not an heir apparent to Hagler or Leonard. His punches were taps to the viewer - maybe they looked better at ringside - but speeding around the ring, tapping away at his opponent and fighting the last minute of several of these rounds just wasn't doing it for me. I scored for Nunn against the aging, limited Barkley, but there were several rounds that could've gone either way. Regardless, I agree with Arum on lack of entertainment value with a Michael Nunn fight.

Philly161 likes this.