the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I scored JLR-Arguello on this thread sometime back (can’t recall when, last year or two) and IIRC I had him winning by two points. I didn’t think it was a runaway but not particularly close.

Same fight against Joe Blow and JLR wins the decision. AA’s name recognition won him some rounds with friendly judges.

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  2. BoB Box

BoB Box Rollin with the punches Full Member

Jun 13, 2022
    Jack Catterall vs Josh Taylor. I posted the results in the British column.

3. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    We put these cards together a little while ago. While we had varying tallies, we all had Ramirez ahead at the end. AA got lucky.

4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I remember we all had this discussion awhile ago, and we pretty much agreed Ramirez deserved the nod vs Arguello. I've only seen the fight once, I'll watch it again soon and do a proper scorecard, to see if my opinion has changed.

scartissue and Jel like this.
  5. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Got around this morning to view Ingle's bout with Medina. Here we go....

Manuel Medina v Paul Ingle (featherweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Ingle
    Round 2: 10-7 Ingle (scores 2 knockdowns)
    Round 3: 10-9 Medina
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Medina
    Round 6: 10-9 Ingle
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Medina
    Round 9: 10-9 Ingle
    Round 10: 10-8 Ingle (scores a knockdown)
    Round 11: 10-9 Medina
    Round 12: 10-8 Medina (scores a knockdown)

Total: 114-112 Ingle (actual scores: 113-111, 114-110 and a whopping 118-107 all for Ingle)

It looks like that last score, that only the 12th was awarded to Medina and probably only because he had to. But having said that, it was difficult (for me) to score, only because the film wasn't exactly hi-def and Medina is such a non-puncher that it was difficult for me to assess delivery and impact. A ringside seat or hi-def viewing and I would likely have a different score. But it is what it is. Still, a good fight with a lot of drama with the knockdowns and the blood-letting involved. Ingle was a deserving winner until he almost frittered it away in the final round playing to the crowd. Amazingly, Ingle would only have two more fights, whereas Medina would go on to win a portion of the world title twice more. He clearly had the keys to the IBF vault or pictures of the IBF president in a compromising position. Man, he was always fighting for their title.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  6. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Yep here's my $0.02

7. Philly161

Philly161 "Fundamentals are the crutch of the talentless" banned Full Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Wilfredo Gomez vs Lupe Pintor

12/3/1982 - WBC Super Bantam Title

Round 1: 10-9 Gomez
    Round 2: 10-9 Gomez
    Round 3: 10-9 Pintor. Great close round.
    Round 4: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 5: 10-9 Gomez. Close one. A lot of ring craft in play in there.
    Round 6: 10-9 Pintor. I thought it was an even round but Gomez got a point deduction for an elbow.
    Round 7: 10-9 Gomez
    Round 8: 10-10 Even.
    Round 9: 10-9 Gomez. Gomez looks tired and beat up but Pintor not throwing enough shots.
    Round 10: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 11: 10-9 Gomez. Great round.
    Round 12: 10-10 Even. Gomez had it until he totally gassed out in the last few seconds of the round. If the round was 20 seconds longer he Gomez could have been dropped.
    Round 13: 10-9 Pintor
    Round 14: Gomez drops Pintor twice and stops him.

My score entering the final round: 125-124 Gomez

Judges Scores entering the final round: 126-120 and 125-121 for Gomez and 124-123 Pintor. All reasonable in a fight like this.

Great fight great finish.

salsanchezfan, Jel and BoB Box like this.
  8. Philly161

Oct 25, 2020
    Gasper Ortega vs Benny Paret I

8/7/59

Scored on round system

Round 1: Ortega
    Round 2: Ortega
    Round 3: Ortega
    Round 4: Paret. Close.
    Round 5: Ortega
    Round 6: Paret. Close.
    Round 7: Even
    Round 8: Paret
    Round 9: Ortega. Close.
    Round 10: Paret. Close.

My Score: 5-4-1 for Ortega

Judges Scores: 6-4 Paret, 6-4 and 5-4-1 for Ortega for Ortega SD

salsanchezfan and Jel like this.
  9. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Scored this one on this thread I think a year or two ago and IIRC I had Gomez a bit more ahead than you (or the two one-point judges) but a lot of those rounds were really close.

What a fight.

Bazooka always seemed to have this weird stamina where his energy would come and go in waves. Or maybe he just let his body language tell too much when he was gassing and then he’d reach deep inside and find another reserve. But sometimes he looks exhausted … and then you realize he’s still winning the round handily.

We used to tell the guys in our gym — it’s not about getting tired … you’re going to get tired at some point if you box … it’s about what you do about it when you get tired and whether you give in to it. I don’t think Wilfredo ever gave in to fatigue.

Jel likes this.
  10. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Hands down one of my all-time favourite fights. Scorecards don’t matter in a fight like this one. One of those fights where the loser deserves almost equal credit to the winner.

Saintpat and Philly161 like this.
  11. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

One of my very favorite fights.

Philly161 likes this.
  12. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    @Philly161 there’s a reason Ortega boxed on U.S. network primetime TV more than any other boxer in history. He always delivered.

Philly161 likes this.
  13. Philly161

Oct 25, 2020
    Jung Koo Chang vs Katsuo Tokashiki

WBC World Light Flyweight Title

8/18/1984

Round 1: 10-8 Chang. Good round for Tokashiki until the knockdown
    Round 2: 10-9 Chang. Wow what a round.
    Round 3: 10-9 Tokashiki. Close. Chang landed some big shots but Tokashiki generally outpaced him.
    Round 4: 10-10 Even. All time great round.
    Round 5: 10-9 Chang. This is one of those rounds you want to call even because the other guy did a lot of great work, but I think Chang edged it.
    Round 6: 10-9 Tokashiki
    Round 7: 10-9 Chang. I've seen fights stopped for less but glad the ref didn't step in.
    Round 8: 10-9 Chang. Very close.
    Round 9: Chang stops Tokashiki on his feet

My card going into the final round: 78-74 Chang

Judges Cards: 77-74, 79-73, 78-73 all for Chang.

Another banger.

Jel likes this.
  14. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Unbelievable fight. You’re 100% right about round 4 - absolutely bananas.

Philly161 likes this.
  15. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Jason Cunningham UD12 Brad Foster

Interesting if underwhelming opening to this fight, Foster probably half an eye on what the bigger Reece Bellotti did to Cunningham, looks to bowl into Cunningham a couple of times, ruffle him, but he just doesn't look that impressive doing it. Still, he's busier and more aggressive and takes the early rounds for me. The optics for Foster are just a little bit better: Cunningham meanwhile seems a little reticent, his work feels cleaner and he's trying to establish this one-two but he is missing the punch to the Foster dip which is actually quite impressive. So I've Cunningham 3-0 down. In fact I didn't give Cunningham a round until the fifth when he used long quick punches to drive Foster to the ropes one two occasions, where the optics now favoured him - probably did just enough in a close one. Cunningham needs six of the next seven rounds on my cards. Absorbing this. Foster repeatedly warned in the sixth, not the first round fo the fight he was warned in, for holding, for leaning, for hitting low and I think he was troubled by a right hand earlier in the round - good right hand to the body as a minute arrives. Clear Cunningham round, first clear Cunningham round. Foster didn't like what he got here.

4-2 at halfway. What that really means is that to win the fight on my card, Cunningham can lose but a round.

Cunningham's body attack which has always been OK evolves prettily here. Right handed jabbing feints often open the way for a shot to the body and he looks equally adept with left or right to me. What he has going for him here is that he's tougher. He looks like a tougher fighter, he's been less troubled by Foster's punches than the reverse. He's ready to continue throwing when Foster might not fancy it...

Looks like he gets warned again in the eighth fo heads but it is Foster who emerges from the clash with the more serious cut and it is running with most of the round left to fight. He responds brightly though - then lands another low blow; and Foster has a point taken off, rightly for persistent fouling, probably, much to the BT Sports team's distress. They'd been bumming this up as a good fight but now it really IS a good fight, they don't like it. "Foster though, surely fa/r ahead from those early rounds." No, boys. I did have Foster nicking that round though, but it looked like it was on adrenaline. He's tiring. He was also warned for heeling in the ninth which I thought he won - this is going to be a fun finish. Cunningham needs them all on my card.Incessant pressure from Cunningham probably grabs him the tenth, but it's close.

Too much holding and missing for this fight to be labelled great but it was dirty, nasty fun. I had it to Cunningham on the foul.

Foster:1,2,3,4,8*,9.
    Cunningham:5,6,7,10,11,12.

* Foster, point off.

114-113 Cunningham.

Jel likes this.