the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Ken Norton vs Jimmy Young

1 Young
    2 Young
    3 Young
    4 Norton
    5 Norton
    6 Norton
    7 Norton
    8 Norton
    9 Norton
    10 Young
    11 Norton
    12 Young
    13 Young
    14 Young
    15 Norton

143-142 Norton

@scartissue correct me if i'm wrong but didn't you ask for my scorecard on this fight ages ago ? well here it is if you did indeed ask.

For me the old saying "too little too late" springs to mind here, and i think that's exactly what Young did here. I felt like the rounds were pretty score to IMO, Young clearly won the first 3 rounds with his counter punching and boxing as Norton looked a bit puzzled.

But from rounds 4 to 9 Norton clearly won those rounds in my view. Norton altered his tactics crouching low and going strictly to the body, and i felt like Norton's effective aggression and body punching, were more than enough for Norton to win all the middle rounds.

The last 5 or 6 rounds the momentum then shifted again, as Norton for some reason stopped effectively going to the body and wasn't pressuring Young like before. Maybe Norton was a bit winded because he put in alot of work during middle rounds, whatever the reason Young was able to get back into the fight, by boxing and counter punching like he did in rounds 1-3. And Young clearly won 4 out of the next 5 rounds with Norton for me just nicking the 11th round.

Going into the 15th round i had the fight dead even, Norton came out and simply just worked harder than Young, and deservedly won the 15th round making Norton the winner on my card by 1 point.

Overall this fight had alot of momentum shifts but Norton won too many of the middle rounds, and with Norton clearly winning the last round i thought he deserved to win the fight. As i said earlier Young left it too late in my opinion, but i did feel two of the judges at 147-143 for Norton was a bit too wide but still the right man won for me.

2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    IIRC I had Young by a couple of points but there are a lot of close rounds. No robbery but you could argue either way.

It’s a really good tactical, thinking man’s fight. You can see the gears turning as they adjust strategies.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  3. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I had it for Young by two as well, I'll try to find my card.

4. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Here's my Norton-Young card.

5. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Here was my card from like 7 years ago. My God! In my summation I was stunned that I actually had 4 Even rounds. But it was that tight of a fight. @Dynamicpuncher , @Saintpat and @salsanchezfan , I think we can all agree this was down to the wire with only a couple of points either way. That tells me we were all watching the same fight.

Ken Norton v Jimmy Young

Round 1: 10-9 Young
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Young
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Norton
    Round 6: 10-9 Norton
    Round 7: 10-9 Norton
    Round 8: 10-9 Young
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 Young
    Round 11: 10-9 Norton
    Round 12: 10-9 Young
    Round 13: 10-10 Even
    Round 14: 10-9 Young
    Round 15: 10-9 Norton

145-144 Young

6. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    That's odd; three of the four of us had Young winning!

7. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Your card was pretty similar to mine except you had the 9th round even, and you scored the 11th round to Young. Even though i disagree with your scorecard and @scartissue @Saintpat scorecards aswell. I can see how you guys had Young as the winner, it was a very close fight with rounds 1, 9, 11, being the swing rounds for me. But i just slightly preferred Norton's aggression and body work overall, and that's what edged it in Norton's favour for me. And with hindsight i'm glad Norton won as we got an amazing fight vs Holmes, i don't think Young vs Holmes would of been anywhere near as good.

scartissue and salsanchezfan like this.
  8. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Jimmy Young vs George Foreman

1 Even
    2 Young
    3 Young 10-8 point deduction
    4 Foreman
    5 Foreman
    6 Young
    7 Foreman
    8 Young
    9 Young
    10 Foreman
    11 Young
    12 Young 10-8 knockdown

116-111 Young

The 2nd half of this fight was certainly alot better than the 1st half which was very dull, i'm also not quite sure why Foreman got a point deducted in the 3rd round, yes Foreman was being rough but there was nothing malicious. I personally didn't see any need for a point deduction it seemed very out of the blue.

But for me Foreman fought too measured in this fight, maybe worrying about the heat and his stamina after the Ali fight. But i felt like he needed to swarm over Young and try force him towards the ropes like Norton did.

Overall apart from the 7th round and some body work in rounds 4 and 5, Foreman was never able to really land on Young who was too cute and crafty for Foreman. I did really enjoy watching Young go to work in the 12th round, as he put together some really nice fast combinations which set up the knockdown.

Final thoughts a fight of two halves for me, the 1st half as i said was very dull with not alot happening. But once Foreman hurt Young in a very memorable 7th round, the fight from that point on was enjoyable for me and i enjoyed Young's performance in the final 6 rounds.

9. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    I'm going to watch fight again either later today or tomorrow, i've never actually did a scorecard for this one and i've only seen it once. I think generally most people have Robinson winning by 1 or 2 rounds, i'm just wondering though could the last round be scored 10-8 ? i know Robinson was badly hurt in the round, but i can't remember how dominant Gatti was in the last round.

10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Oscar Bonavena v Karl Mildenberger (WBA heavyweight tournament - 5 point must system)

Round 1: 5-3 Bonavena (scores a knockdown)
    Round 2: 5-4 Bonavena
    Round 3: 5-4 Mildenberger
    Round 4: 5-3 Bonavena (scores a knockdown)
    Round 5: 4-4 Even (Bonavena's round but is penalized a point for a low blow)
    Round 6: 5-4 Mildenberger
    Round 7: 5-3 Bonavena (scores a knockdown)
    Round 8: 5-4 Bonavena
    Round 9: 5-4 Mildenberger
    Round 10: 5-3 Bonavena (scores a knockdown)
    Round 11: 5-4 Bonavena
    Round 12: 5-4 Bonavena

Total: 56-47 Bonavena (actual scores: 56-47, 57-53 and 58-53 all for Bonavena)

Wow! Where do I start? Please, don't for a minute think that this is a must-see, cuz it ain't. What makes it 'inelegant' is that Bonavena, who was the class valedictorian from the Gene Fullmer/Vito Antuofermo school of mugging, along with Mildenberger's awkward southpaw style, makes this fight a bit of a mish-mash. Still, I enjoyed seeing it for it's historical value. But yeah, Oscar mugged his way to the win with his strength and his will to hit Karl absolutely anywhere that he could get a shot in. But let's not excuse Karl on unseemly fighting. I saw a very deft head going in a number of times on Oscar. Perhaps he felt he needed to return the favor of some of those crazy errant shots Oscar was throwing. But Oscar's knockdowns were solid and he advanced as we all know.

11. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    We almost got both.

Young was supposed to challenge Holmes after tuning up against an unknown Puerto Rican named Osvaldo Ocasio. But ‘Jaws’ completely flummoxed him … twice.

The first time, Jimmy didn’t train seriously and was outhustled. So a rematch was arranged and Young trained hard and came in fit and ready … and simply couldn’t crack Ocasio’s strange rhythm. Some others would have trouble with it as well. Holmes dispatched OO forthwith, but even though Ocasio beat him twice, Young would have been the better scalp on Larry’s resume. (Kinda like beating David Bey, who beat Greg Page.)

Dynamicpuncher and salsanchezfan like this.
  12. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Ocasio also beat Qawi although I heard that decision was bogus, and also took a young Lennox Lewis the distance. He certainly could be a difficult style to figure out.

Overall though I don't think Young would of beat Holmes, and would of lost a competitive decision in the vain of 10-5, 9-6.

Saintpat likes this.
  13. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Arturo Gatti vs Ivan Robinson 1

1 Robinson
    2 Gatti
    3 Robinson
    4 Gatti 10-8 knockdown
    5 Robinson
    6 Gatti
    7 Robinson
    8 Gatti
    9 Robinson
    10 Gatti

95-94 Gatti

I'm surprised i had Gatti winning since as i said before normally people have Robinson edging it, but i slightly preferred the harder punches from Gatti rather than the quantity from Robinson. The swing rounds were rounds 2, 5, 6, 8, for example in rounds 2 and 8 Robinson landed more punches than Gatti certainly, but in round 2 i liked Gatti's hard punches to the body, and in round 8 Gatti landed all the hard punches, and seemed to hurt Robinson at the end of the round. Despite Robinson landing more punches i thought Gatti won the round based on that.

Overall it's a very close fight and i can see how people scored it for Robinson, for his amazing workrate and combination punching. But i slightly preferred Gatti's body punching and harder punches. And with the knockdown in the 4th round i thought Gatti edged it.

14. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Arturo Gatti vs Ivan Robinson 2

1 Gatti
    2 Robinson
    3 Robinson
    4 Robinson
    5 Gatti
    6 Robinson
    7 Robinson
    8 9-9 point deduction for Gatti but i thought he won the round clearly
    9 Gatti
    10 Gatti

95-94 Robinson

Another close fight that i would of scored a draw without the point deduction, not that Gatti can complain about the deduction. He had been warned multiple times for low blows so the point deduction was justified.

Gatti came out in the 1st round looking to slip Robinson's jab, and i thought Gatti's somewhat improved defence was looking fairly sharp and i thought he had a decent round. But that soon went out the window and Gatti went back to taking 3 punches to land 1, Robinson for me was much more dominant between rounds 2-7 than he was in the 1st meeting. And he really beat up Gatti especially in rounds 3 and 7, taking a staggering 77 punches in round 7 which is inhuman.

The fight turned around in round 8 as Gatti's body punches started to have an effect on Robinson, despite the point deduction in the 8th round. Gatti didn't let it discourage him and kept going to the body and having success. I thought Gatti clearly won rounds 8-10 with his body punching to make the fight alot closer, but with the point deduction and Robinson's success in the first 7 rounds. I thought Robinson just about did enough to win a close decision.

Overall it was another amazing fight not quite as good as the 1st one, but still a very memorable FOTY candidate. It makes me wonder though had both of these fights been 12 rounds could Gatti have won ? i think so Robinson was fading in both fights coming down the stretch.

On a side note two of the judges had it 95-94 so they see the same fight as me.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  15. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    D, you really should check out Qawi-Ocasio. I had it 6-3-1 for Qawi. Total robbery.