the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I heard the fight was a stinker which is why i've never watched it despite me liking Qawi, what was your thoughts on the fight in terms of action ?

2. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Myung Woo Yuh W15 Mario Alberto Demarco (1)

Just seeing this for the first time, and wow. What an amazing slugfest! I’d read about it, and am doing what I can to educate myself more on Yuh, and rest assured, more is coming. Terrific, exciting battler.

Yuh is seemingly faster, seems to hit a little harder, and is more dynamic in attack, using his feet to create more angles and punching room. He lets loose with furious barrages of flurries but Demarco is inhumanly tough, and simply will not cede an inch. He continually comes forward regardless of what Yuh throws, and seems none the worse for wear in his corner between rounds, breathing easily in very relaxed fashion. Just amazing resilience and conditioning from both of them.

I have to say too, that Demarco was a dirty little ****. He repeatedly punched in the back of the head. Yuh responded in kind, and warnings were plentiful though nothing was ever really done about it.

Only toward the very end, starting in the 13th, did Demarco start showing the effects of the blows as Yuh opened up even more. Finally, some covering up, and even the odd backward step or two, but only grudgingly. They both finished on fumes, but fighting till the bell, warriors to the end.

What a fight.

1. Demarco
    2. Yuh
    3. Yuh
    4. Demarco
    5. Yuh
    6. Yuh
    7. Demarco
    8. Demarco
    9. Yuh
    10. Even
    11. Demarco
    12. Demarco
    13. Yuh
    14. Yuh
    15. Yuh

144-142 Yuh.

3. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Myung Woo Yuh KO8 Rodolfo Blanco

More fun from a new favorite. Yuh is excellent value.

The champion starts slowly here, letting Blanco use almost exclusively his left to take the first two rounds. From there, Yuh just begins opening up a bit more, and takes the next three. With him, something is always happening, there's no downtime. If he's not actively punching, he's bobbing and weaving on his way in. When he throws punches, they're always in fluid combinations. He doubles and triples up on his hooks, never neglecting the body. Every right hand is followed by the hook to punctuate the sentence.

Blanco rebounds withal busy left in the sixth, with Yuh taking a bit of a breather, and even takes the seventh.

In the eighth, Yuh, does more damage with his long rights, and a follow-up flurry puts Blanco down for the count.

1. Blanco
    2. Blanco
    3. Yuh
    4. Yuh
    5. Yuh
    6. Even
    7. Blanco
    8. Yuh floors Blanco and Blanco is counted out.

67-67 at the time of the stoppage.

William Walker and scartissue like this.
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Sal, I loved this fight. Saw it a while back, but remembered it well. This is what I wrote:

Myung Woo Yuh v Rodolfo Blanco

Yuh establishes early that he has more pop in his shots but he has to run a heavy gauntlet from Blanco's sharp jab and sizzling combos.

Round 1: 10-9 Blanco
    Round 2: 10-9 Blanco
    Round 3: 10-9 Yuh
    Round 4: 10-9 Yuh
    Round 5: 10-9 Yuh
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Yuh
    Round 8: Yuh KOs Blanco

Total after 7 completed rounds: 68-66 Yuh (actual scores: 67-66, 68-65 and 70-64 all for Yuh)

There is such a fine line between each round I can see some varying scores, but I can't see the score of the judge that gave everything to Yuh. Blanco was there to win the title, not be a passenger, and he never stopped firing those salvos. A really good fight.

salsanchezfan likes this.
  5. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    D, sorry for getting back to you so late on your query, but I needed to check back on something I wrote on this fight a while back. I really don't recall the fight's action too much, but it was the very suspicious things that were happening around the fight that really stunk. This is what I wrote after viewing a while back:

I don't tend to give this subject much credence - maybe it's just the fight fan in me that wants to believe my sport is on the up and up, but one revisited fight recently came to light that really smelled. If anyone ever watched the Dwight Qawi-Ossie Ocasio fight from '87, you probably said, "What a **** decision" and thought nothing else. That's what I thought when I saw it live back then, but rewatching it recently made my mind wander. First of all, if you listen to Ferdie Pacheco, he ranted and raved, which was good. It's our duty as fight fans to rant and rave at a bad decision. Ferdie had it 10-0 for Qawi and they gave Ocasio the fight. Watching it again - not paying attention to Ferdie's opinion - I had it 6-3-1 Qawi. A rank decision, but that's not what made me wonder. Somewhere during the bout Ferdie mentions how he can't understand how Ocasio is suddenly ranked #2 in the world. OK, now he's getting somewhere. I looked up Ocasio's record and in late '84 he loses his cruiser title and between then and 2 1/2 years later when he fights Qawi he only has one fight, a 10 round decision against some clubfighter, which was 14 months before the Qawi fight. How is he suddenly elevated to #2, then cops a bad decision over Qawi and gets a title fight against Holyfield? It's obvious only a KO could've prevented his date with destiny and as he fought safety first (or ran like a thief if you prefer), this wasn't going to happen. It does appear the judges were 'talked to'.

Dynamicpuncher, salsanchezfan and Jel like this.
  6. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    If there are shenanigans here, the culprits are the Duvas.

Kathy Duva promoted Ocasio’s bout against the club fighter, Narcisco Maldonado. And the Duva-run Main Events promotion, which promoted Holyfield, promoted Ocasio-Qawi … on the undercard of Holyfield-Ricky Parkey.

So obviously the winner was going to fight Holyfield next. Whether they had an interest in it being Jaws vs. Qawi is the question here. I can’t see how — considering Evander knocked out Qawi four months later in his next fight, so they weren’t exactly avoiding the rematch.

As for Ocasio being ranked No. 2, I’d have to see what happened to his ranking after losing the title to Piet Croix (the fight before the fight with the club fighter) and whether he hung around those ratings that highly all along. Cruiserweight really wasn’t a very well established division (certainly not a glamor division) until Holy came along to give it some oomph and star power so perhaps he dropped from champ to 1 or 2 and just kind of hung around because nobody else was really making a claim.

Ocasio-Qawi was a majority decision. One man’s 6-3-1 is another’s 6-4, so we’re really talking a swing round or two if there are close rounds. I’ve never seen the fight so have no opinion on how fair the final scoring was, but I know Jaws was one awkward son of a gun who was hard to look good against.

EDIT: Oddly enough, Qawi’s only fight between losing to Holyfield the first time and Ocasio was the same Narcisco Maldonado, also promoted by the Duvas, haha. He stopped him in four rounds while Jaws won a unanimous 10-round decision. The Holy-Ocasio fight took place in France, a co-promotion by the Duvas and Acaries brothers, fwiw.

I just watched, randomly, the sixth round of Ocasio-Qawi and gave it to Jaws … not much happened but he landed some jabs, two clean rights and an uppercut while Qawi just followed him around and did nearly nothing. It did not inspire me to watch any more but it did make me decide it’s time to go to sleep, haha.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    Mastrangelo and salsanchezfan like this.
  7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Pat, thanks for the insight on this. Here is my card on the fight:

Dwight Muhammad Qawi against Ossie Ocasio - 10 rounds. Note to self: If watching it, use your own judgement and don't be swayed by Ferdie Pacheco.

Round 1: 10-9 Ocasio
    Round 2: 10-9 Qawi
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Qawi
    Round 5: 10-9 Qawi
    Round 6: 10-9 Ocasio
    Round 7: 10-9 Qawi
    Round 8: 10-9 Ocasio
    Round 9: 10-9 Qawi
    Round 10: 10-9 Qawi

97-94 Qawi (actual scores: 95-95, 95-94 and 96-94 for Ocasio for a majority win)

I say don't be swayed by Pacheco because he ranted that he had it 10-0 for Qawi and I had it a bit closer, but still comfortably for Qawi. Boxrec has a couple of quotes from Newsday and the NY Times on the decision and also of note was Bobby Lee, President of the IBF, who stated Qawi's #1 rating would not be reassessed after this decision, which says it all.

Mastrangelo and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  8. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Interesting, if hardly surprising anecdote. It IS the Duvas, after all.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Stevie Johnston v Cesar Bazan I (lightweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Johnston
    Round 2: 10-9 Bazan
    Round 3: 10-9 Bazan
    Round 4: 10-9 Bazan
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Bazan
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Bazan
    Round 9: 10-9 Johnston
    Round 10: 10-9 Johnston
    Round 11: 10-9 Johnston
    Round 12: 10-9 Johnston

Total: 115-115 Draw (actual scores: 116-112 Johnston, 115-113 and another 115-113 both for Bazan for a split win)

A good fight but horrible on the judge. Every round tissue paper thin on who was winning. Bazan definitely threw the flashier more hurtful punches with his bolo-like uppercuts to head and body, but Stevie did excellent work on the inside too, sans the flashy punches. I just can't do the rematch. 12 rounds of being glued to every nuance change was enough. Again, better fight for the spectator than the judge.

Dynamicpuncher and Mastrangelo like this.
  10. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    I watched both of these fights last year Scar, i never kept a scorecard though as i didn't join forum yet. I do remember Johnston doing better in the rematch though.

11. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Myung Woo Yuh W12 Hiroki Ioka

The youtube version I watched was labelled as their first fight which was my intention to see first, but it was mismarked; this was the second fight.

Ioka has a difficult style; he's fairly tall and lanky and fights well from the outside but he also liked to lean in and smother attacks, rather than the more conventional jab and dance method employed by a lot of taller guys. It made for some awkward-looking sequences and more than one clash of heads, opening up the odd cut here and there. Thankfully the cuts didn't factor into things.

For his part, Yuh at some point seemed to realize his best bet was to leap in with spontaneous attacks to take the play away from the counterpunching Ioka, trying to upset rhythm and perhaps steal a round here and there with bursts of frenetic energy. It had too much of that Pazienza "style before substance" air about it, honestly, and it was obvious that Yuh wasn't the tireless, dynamic force I'd seen before. I had him winning, but only barely. And not through sheer dynamic force as before but through edging his opponent out through guile and strategy. Which I guess at the end of the day one has to give him credit for. He proved here he was no one-trick pony.

1. Yuh (uncharacteristically fast start for him)
    2. Yuh
    3. Even
    4. Ioka
    5. Yuh
    6. Yuh
    7. Ioka
    8. Yuh
    9. Ioka
    10. Ioka
    11. Ioka
    12. Yuh

115-114 Yuh.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ioka is actually the uncle of Kazuto Ioka, today's super flyweight champion.

Rubber Glove Sandwich likes this.
  13. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    I did not know! Figures these things run in families of course. Makes me feel old. I remember all these names from when I was getting out of high school and into junior college.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin 3

1 Golovkin
    2 Canelo
    3 Canelo
    4 Canelo
    5 Canelo
    6 Canelo
    7 Canelo
    8 Golovkin
    9 Golovkin
    10 Golovkin
    11 Golovkin
    12 Golovkin

114-114 Draw

Canelo won all the early rounds, as he was the effective aggressor landing all the hard punches Golovkin was too tentative. At the end of round 8 Golovkin started to back up Canelo, and from that point on the momentum shifted in the fight, and i felt Golovkin won all the remaining rounds after that.

Overall close fight with 4 debatable rounds being round 1, 6, 8, 12.

Fogger and Vic The Gambler like this.
  15. Vic The Gambler

Vic The Gambler Active Member Full Member

Jun 14, 2022
    I gave the first round to Canelo but apart from that I agreed with the rest of your scoring, giving Canelo a 115-113 win.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.