the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Sal. I checked this out a couple of months back and loved it. I was a wee bit more generous to Torres, but that aside, you will see I was questioning the scores of the judges. It's funny, because your score was literally what I was using as an example. Check it out.

Carlos Ortiz v Battling Torres (jr. welterweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Torres
    Round 2: 10-9 Ortiz
    Round 3: 10-9 Ortiz
    Round 4: 10-9 Torres
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Ortiz
    Round 7: 10-9 Torres
    Round 8: 10-9 Ortiz
    Round 9: 10-9 Ortiz
    Round 10: Ortiz KOs Torres

Total through 9 completed rounds: 87-85 Ortiz (actual scores: 88-80, 89-80 and 88-81 all for Ortiz)

Before getting to the scores, let me just say this was a terrific fight. These two landed bombs on one another. I think a lot was made of Ortiz' body work, which by the way was brilliant. However, Torres was up to the task and I found his body shots to be wince-inducing while watching. But damn, Ortiz was so fit those shots seemed to be bouncing off his mid-section. Torres didn't seem to be wavering until the 9th and even then he was fighting back desperately. Regarding the scores, at first I just thought they didn't think as highly of Torres' work as I did until looking a little closer. For instance, the 88-80. In a perfect 9 rounds, the fighter would have a score of 90, so clearly Torres won 2 rounds of the completed 9 rounds, and we'll say Ortiz won the other 7. That means the score on a 10 point must system should have ended up with a score of 88-83. The only thing I can come up with was this judge gave Ortiz three 10-8 rounds. The other judges were similar. But believe me, there was nothing here that warranted a 10-8 round. This was tightly contested. That aside, an outstanding fight.

salsanchezfan likes this.
  2. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    And it really shows Ortiz at his best, against an opponent with a sympathetic style.

scartissue likes this.
  3. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Amado Ursua v Tadashi Tomori (Jr. flyweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Tomori
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-9 Tomori
    Round 4: 10-9 Tomori
    Round 5: 10-9 Ursua
    Round 6: 10-9 Tomori
    Round 7: 10-9 Tomori
    Round 8: 10-9 Ursua
    Round 9: 10-9 Ursua
    Round 10: 10-9 Ursua
    Round 11: 10-9 Tomori
    Round 12: 10-9 Ursua
    Round 13: 10-9 Ursua
    Round 14: 10-9 Ursua
    Round 15: 10-9 Ursua

Total: 144-142 Ursua (actual scores: 145-145, and a 145-142, 148-145 both for Tomori)

Y'know, I was never a fan of splintering a title by adding a new weight. It reeked of nothing but greed. When they created Jr. flyweight back in '75, the first champion (Franco Udella) was so disinterested in jr. fly that he couldn't be bothered by it and continued defending his European flyweight title. You know, the real title. And the alphabet organizations went about populating their top tens with fighters who just couldn't make the cut at flyweight. That may sound rough, but it's really true. And this bout reflects that also. Ursua was really only a journeyman and Tomori a prospect. But I will say this, together they put on a spirited contest that I just enjoyed the hell out of. Ursua appeared to be a real slow starter, as he really didn't shift into another gear until the 8th. Until then, Tomori enjoyed control of the contest. The exchanges really started to heat up in that second half and rounds 10 and 14 were terrific. I would have been good with a draw here. And I do recommend this bout, for what that's worth.

4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I have but not for a long time it's actually quite sad what happened to Olajide, i heard he had a broken orbital bone in sparring ? that gave him blurry vision in one eye that basically derailed his career.

5. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Here is what I wrote the last time I watched it:

Iran Barkley v Michael Olajide

If you guys are in the mood for a fun fight (and why wouldn't you be?), you need to check this out. I know I saw it back in the day, but I could watch this a couple of times and enjoy it over and over. NY rounds scoring.

Round 1: Barkley
    Round 2: Barkley (scores a knockdown)
    Round 3: Barkley
    Round 4: Olajide (scores a knockdown)
    Round 5: Barkley drops and eventually stops Olajide

Total through 4 completed rounds: 3-1 Barkley

Short but explosive. Olajide was always about flash, but Barkley was a wrecking ball in this fight and had Olajide's legs doing some crazy dance moves when he connected, which was often. Bombs away, guys. So have some fun with this.

Amos-san and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  6. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I remember at the time Olajide being pushed on fans as The Man in the future of the middleweights. Late 80's, so the jheri curl and paisley trunks followed the script but you could tell even then it was all smoke and mirrors.

Olajide always looked stiff and robotic and unnatural in the ring. He was anything but smooth really, despite his nickname of "Silk." I never bought the hype on him, though the magazines were desperate to replace Hagler with a big thing. Olajide was never going to be that.

7. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Dwight Muhammad Qawi vs Michael Spinks

1 Spinks
    2 Spinks
    3 Spinks
    4 Spinks
    5 Spinks
    6 Spinks
    7 Spinks
    8 Qawi 10-8 knockdown
    9 Qawi
    10 Qawi
    11 Qawi
    12 Spinks
    13 Spinks
    14 Qawi
    15 Spinks

144-140 Spinks

Some people have said they didn't enjoy this fight but i actually enjoyed it, it was fought at a good pace throughout.

Anyway onto the fight i thought the 1st 7 rounds Spinks clearly won, Spinks slithered around the ring like a snake moving in angles not allowing Qawi to trap him on the ropes, showing an amazing left jab keeping Qawi at bay. Qawi was not able to really get any offence going nor was he able to pin down Spinks, and that was pretty much the story of the 1st 7 rounds.

The momentum of the fight changed after the 8th round when Qawi knocked down Spinks with a body shot ? that appeared to be more of slip with Qawi treading on Spinks's foot. But regardless of what your thoughts were regarding the knockdown, Qawi was able to have more success in the 2nd half of the fight after the knockdown, as he able to get more offence going and put on more effective aggression on Spinks.

The 2nd half of the fight there was definitely more anxious moments for Spinks, the fight was definitely way more competitive and Qawi had his moments. But still overall Spinks was able to mostly keep out of harms way and still able to make his jab work effectively, and overall Spinks managed to win his fair share of rounds in the 2nd half. to win a competitive but pretty clear decision in the end.

Overall i actually enjoyed the fight as i said, both men showed great skills and defence. But the difference was Spinks's amazing left jab which kept Qawi at bay for most of the fight, and this fight is a good demonstration on how to control the smaller aggressive fighter with the jab.

8. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Joe Joyce vs Joseph Parker

1 Joyce
    2 Joyce
    3 Joyce
    4 Parker
    5 Parker
    6 Joyce
    7 Joyce
    8 Joyce
    9 Joyce
    10 Parker
    11 Joyce wins by KO

97-93 Joyce

Very good performance from Joyce over a solid top 10 Heavyweight, he showed a granite chin which may in time be compared to legendary Heavyweight chins of the past. Good workrate he never stops coming forward, and i think overall Joyce will be a hard nut to crack for alot of the top Heavyweights.

Overall though i think this was one of the better Heavyweight fights, it was entertaining for me and i don't enjoy much of the Heavyweight action now. And Parker showed alot of heart aswell all in all a solid Heavyweight fight.

9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Donald Curry v Adolfo Viruet

I decided to watch this because it was there and I was there. The stylistic matchup told me it was going to be a rout for Curry, as Viruet never had a punch, nor was he a boxer. He was really just a big slapper with a great jaw. Still, Curry only had 13 pro bouts at this time and I thought maybe something might get interesting. Well, it didn't. I scored it 10-0 for Curry on New Jersey's round scoring system (actual scores: 9-1, 8-1-1 and 8-2 all for Curry). What referee Vinnie Rainone was watching that he actually gave the negative Viruet 2 rounds is beyond me. If you want to watch Curry beat on a heavy-bag with teeth for 10 rounds, this is where you come to.

10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Adolfo was a curious fighter. A short, squat southpaw who fought out of a crab-like crouch, he seemed to elevate doing little to nothing to near art form. As ugly as his style was, it was efficient in that he was hard to hit and could reduce some rounds to almost nothing while still appearing somewhat aggressive in pressing the action.

It’s hard to imagine him beating a good fighter (and he didn’t beat many, but won a USBA title at 140 over Monroe Brooks) but he also managed to be a heck of a spoiler in taking Pete Ranzany, a bona fide contender at 147, to a majority decision (loss for Viruet) and going the distance with Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran (never really in trouble vs. either IIRC, although Ray got a flash knockdown).

Mostly he was a puzzle who was hard to really solve. You just had to outwork him and look bad and call it a day.

Of note, Duran beat both Adolfo and his brother Edwin (with whom Roberto had some bad blood) and after beating Adolfo I believe Duran’s comment was, ‘Next time I beat you father’ lol.

The Curry fight was his last. He was coming off a decision loss to a guy who was like 5-5 or something in his previous fight. He could have hung around and picked up some paydays as an opponent for up-and-comers who needed some solid rounds with a southpaw for experience sake, but probably made the right call in moving on.

Amos-san likes this.
  11. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Jose Napoles (Champion) vs. Hedgemon Lewis (Challenger)

WBA and WBC Welterweight Titles, 12-14-1971

Scored on the round system

Round 1 - Napoles
    Round 2 - Lewis
    Round 3 - Lewis
    Round 4 - Napoles
    Round 5 - Napoles
    Round 6 - Lewis
    Round 7 - Lewis
    Round 8 - Lewis
    Round 9 - Napoles
    Round 10 - Napoles
    Round 11 - Napoles
    Round 12 - Lewis
    Round 13 - Napoles
    Round 14 - Lewis
    Round 15 - Napoles

My score 8-7 Napoles - Actual Scores 8-7, 8-6 and 9-4 all for Napoles

For a 15 round fight which did not have a lot of big moments this was an interesting fight. After a back and forth first four rounds Napoles started taking control in the fifth. He nailed Hedgemon with numerous shots to the head and looked like he was in charge, or so I thought. I had Lewis winning the next three rounds and really starting to feel good about himself. He was sticking and moving, making the 31 year old Mantequilla look a bit old. Then everything changed again. Napoles came out aggressively in round nine and, instead of dancing, Lewis was backpedaling to save his life.

I had it even going into the 15th. Napoles, who was tiring noticeably in the 14th, came out strong and enjoyed the most dominant round of the fight. Neither fighter was ever in trouble during the fight and you could see the skills both men possessed

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    Dynamicpuncher and Saintpat like this.
  12. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Victor Galindez vs Yaqui Lopez 2

1 Lopez
    2 Lopez
    3 Galindez
    4 Lopez
    5 Galindez
    6 Galindez
    7 Galindez
    8 Lopez
    9 Lopez
    10 Lopez
    11 Lopez
    12 Lopez
    13 Galindez
    14 Galindez
    15 Lopez

144-141 Lopez

So i wanted to watch the 1st fight but the title description was wrong on Youtube, so i ended up watching the 2nd fight by mistake.

This wasn't a great fight by any means both men have been in much exciting/interesting fights. It was pretty much a tactical fight most of the way, with Lopez coming forward primarily using the jab, and Galindez fighting on the backfoot counter punching.

I thought overall the first 8 rounds or so were pretty close competitive rounds, Lopez won most of the early rounds just by doing more work and being the aggressor behind the jab. Galindez showed some nice defence slipping shots and countering punching. And i thought Galindez had a strong spell between 5-8.

But after the 8th round Galindez just didn't do any work at all, and Lopez racked up most of the rounds in the 2nd half of the fight just by literally throwing punches as Galindez did nothing. The 11th round was the only round which had any real action in it, but apart from that the fight followed the pattern of Lopez coming forward behind the jab with Galindez just throwing punches.

I thought Galindez turned it around a little bit in rounds 13-14, as he decided to actually come forward for the first time. But for some reason in the 15th round Galindez once again went back into his pattern of not throwing punches.

Overall i felt like Lopez was hard done by in the fight, and deserved to have his hands raised as the world champion. Galindez was lackluster in the 2nd half of the fight, and whilst Lopez wasn't exactly a ball of fire himself. IMO Lopez clearly won enough rounds in the 2nd half to win a clear decision.

13. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Victor Galindez vs Yaqui Lopez 1

1 Lopez
    2 Galindez
    3 Lopez
    4 Lopez
    5 Lopez
    6 Lopez
    7 Galindez
    8 Galindez
    9 Galindez
    10 Galindez
    11 Galindez
    12 Lopez
    13 Lopez
    14 Galindez
    15 Galindez

Galindez 143-142

So first off i just want to say i thought this was a much better contest than their 2nd fight, the fight followed the same pattern as the 2nd fight with Lopez the aggressor behind the jab, and Galindez on the backfoot counter punching. The difference is both men showed more fire in this fight, rather than going through the motions fighting in 1st gear with no fire like their 2nd meeting. After 8 rounds of following the same pattern as the 1st meeting, Galindez was willing to come forward and be aggressive. And unlike the 2nd meeting it was Galindez that came on strong late, and just about pulled it out on my card by 1 point.

Final few thoughts about this fight was Jerry Quarry was commentating, and he scored the fight exactly the same as i did except he scored the 3rd round even. Galindez got away with too many low blows and rabbit punches, he was warned constantly and never got a point taken away. I certainly think Galindez deserved atleast 1 point taken away for the numerous fouls.

Overall as i said before much better fight than the 2nd fight fought with more passion and fire, Lopez started off well coming forward using the jab, Galindez had a strong 2nd half and probably deserved to win based on that. But i also think Galindez was lucky not to get a point taken away, which may of made a difference in the scoring.

14. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    @Fogger I scored this one awhile ago i had it a little wider than you but we both had Napoles winning.

Jose Napoles vs Hedgemon Lewis I

1 Napoles
    2 Lewis
    3 Lewis
    4 Napoles
    5 Napoles
    6 Napoles
    7 Lewis
    8 Lewis
    9 Napoles
    10 Napoles
    11 Napoles
    12 Napoles
    13 Lewis
    14 Lewis
    15 Napoles

Napoles 144-141

So in this fight Napoles wasn't quite his normal smooth slippery skillful self, he had to fight a bit of dog fight and outhustle Lewis to win this one. Napoles was always the aggressor landing many body punches, Lewis was boxing nicely at range using his jab. I thought the fight was pretty even after 8 rounds, Lewis would have good moments troubling Napoles with his effective jab especially in rounds 7 and 8. But Napoles turned it up a gear and came out very aggressively in the 9th round and that set the tone for a few rounds.

What surprised me is that Lewis was able to make a nice little comeback in rounds 13 and 14. Even rocking Napoles with a right hand in the 14th despite taking many body punches. To Napoles credit i think he sensed maybe the fight was getting closer, so he decided to let it all hang out in the 15th, and this was one of those rounds where Napoles won on sheer effort alone.

Not the pretty boxing were used to seeing from Napoles, but he won a close but clear decision based on his workrate and body punching.

Fogger likes this.
  15. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Very nice review, D. Lewis is one of those really good fighters from my childhood who has almost been almost forgotten five decades later (five decades!) It was enjoyable to watch his effort.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.