the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Thanks Pat

Saintpat likes this.
  2. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    A southpaw proud Native American from Montana, Camel was usually pretty busy as far as workrate. Not so much a technician nor a big puncher, but he was a guy who would wear opponents down.

He fought as a light heavy until the cruiserweight division came into being, notably splitting a pair of close decisions with Matthew Saad Muhammad on his way up (one split, one majority). He fought most of the prominent names on the early cruiserweight scene and has the nice distinction of being the first world champ in that weight class.

I think it was tailor-made for him at 190 pounds, the original limit. At 200 he might have been a tad too small but he fit 190 like a glove.

There’s more film of him on Facebook than youtube for whatever reason but there’s some out there if you care to google it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  3. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Hi D, I also thought the 15th round was a very clear Norton round. Immediately after I scored the 13th I was upset with myself for not scoring it as a 10-8 round. I strongly believe the 10 point must system is used incorrectly throughout almost all of boxing. It almost takes an act of congress for judges to score a round 10-8 without a knockdown but the skimpiest little off-balance knockdown is scored 10-8.

4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Marvin Johnson vs Prince Charles Williams

1 Johnson
    2 Williams
    3 Johnson
    4 Johnson
    5 Johnson
    6 Johnson
    7 Johnson
    8 Johnson
    9 Johnson
    10 Williams

98-92 Johnson

This was a pretty interesting fight i actually never knew these two even fought, you had the veteran Johnson vs the green Williams who would go on later to become a pretty solid world champion himself.

Johnson was just a bit too much for Williams who was still green and learning at this point, Johnson did what he normally does and that's swarm all over his opponent with a non stop two fisted attack. Williams did have his moments counter punching landing some solid shots himself, but overall Johnson mostly won the rounds fairly convincingly with his non stop aggression.

There was actually a bit of drama in the last round, when Williams actually quite badly stunned Johnson with a right hand. And it seemed for a moment there might be a knockdown or some late drama. But Johnson very wisely smothered Williams not allowing him to get punching room, and Johnson recovered and went on to finish the round without any other drama.

Overall it was a pretty decent fight and worth watching IMO, Williams showed a good chin and hung in there with a very good fighter in Johnson.

5. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Pops wouldn’t know how to mail in a performance if you gave him a lifetime supply of stamps. Marvin always came to fight and never wasted any time getting after it. Love watching that guy.

6. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    One of my favourite fighters of all time, in all honesty I love alot of the Light Heavyweights from that era.

Lopez
    Saad Muhammad
    Qawi
    Spinks

For me it's my top 5 most favourite era in boxing history.

Saintpat and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Pops is right up with Hagler and Charles among my favourite fighters.

8. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    @George Crowcroft put me on to this one about 2 years ago. Totally loved it. This is what I wrote:

Marvin Johnson v Charles Williams

Round 1: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 2: 10-9 Williams
    Round 3: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 6: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 7: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 8: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 9: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 10: 10-9 Williams

Total: 98-93 Johnson (actual scores: 100-89, 99-91 and 99-92 all for Johnson)

What a terrific fight! God only knows what this fight would have looked like if Williams had a bit more seasoning than the 17 fights he had at this time. The one judge who had it 100-89 obviously gave every round to Johnson and one of them being a 10-8 round. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. But I thought Williams gave one hell of an effort and did well enough to grab a couple of rounds against a Johnson who would not be denied. Again George, terrific find.

9. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    William, sorry so late getting back to you. Regarding the fight, yes, it was a good fight and well-worth watching. But for me, it was bitter sweet. Galindez was one of my favorites and it was hard to watch him at the end of the road, in a weight-class that didn't look good on him, getting beat up on by a fighter he had beaten a few years before. But for action, I think you'll like it.

William Walker likes this.
  10. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Tony Baltazar W10 Roger Mayweather

This one had to leave a sour taste in the mouths of many fight fans. I remember this happened along about the time I got real serious about boxing, and I remember the brief writeup about it in World Boxing Magazine. They called it a dull affair with a bad decision. Having finally seen it, I have to agree on both counts.

This should have been a good fight, a sentiment echoed repeatedly by the intrepid announcing team of Ryan and Clancy. Two known punchers going at it, but Mayweahter decided he didn;t want to take any risks this day (must run in the family) and he boxed carefully and effectively enough to seemingly soundly outpoint a dogged but wholly ineffecrtive Baltazar, who did nothing for ten rounds except follow Mayweather around the ring and wing the odd wild left hook at Roger's head, missing badly each and every time. His scowl and patient bravado must have scored epic points with the judges though. Either the judges were paid handsomely to tab this for the hometown guy, or they had never seen a boxing match before. Bad fight, worse decision. There's no way Baltazar won this. One of the worst calls I've seen.

1. Mayweather
    2. Mayweather
    3. Mayweather
    4. Mayweather
    5. Baltazar
    6. Mayweather
    7. Mayweather
    8. Maweather
    9. Mayweather
    10. Baltazar

98-92 Mayweather. The decision was close but oddly unanimous for the hometown fighter, Baltazar. Honestly, if I was judging each and every single round in a vacuum (as I suppose I should have been, but already knew the outcome and tried vainly to validate the dishonesty of the three judges), I'd have pitched a ten-round shutout for Mayweather. I really stretched the bounds of reason to give the placid Baltazar even the two I did. He threw maybe 100 punched in total in the entire fight, and virtually none of them landed.

scartissue likes this.
  11. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Sal, we had a couple of rounds different, but we both got to the same verdict, that Mayweather was robbed.

Round 1: 10-9 Mayweather
    Round 2: 10-9 Baltazar
    Round 3: 10-9 Mayweather
    Round 4: 10-9 Baltazar (this round was only a 2 minute round - timekeeper error)
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Mayweather
    Round 7: 10-9 Mayweather
    Round 8: 10-9 Mayweather
    Round 9: 10-9 Mayweather
    Round 10: 10-9 Mayweather (50% of this round was clutching)

Total: 98-93 Mayweather

Official scores were 98-95, 96-95 and 96-94 all for Baltazar. How is that for a disparity from my card?

Again, rough one to score. Baltazar chasing, not throwing much and missing when he did. And Mayweather running and jabbing. Mayweather never really got off his toes and engaged until about the last two rounds.

salsanchezfan likes this.
  12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Wilfred Benitez v Harold Weston I (NY rounds scoring)

Round 1: Even
    Round 2: Weston
    Round 3: Benitez
    Round 4: Benitez
    Round 5: Benitez
    Round 6: Benitez
    Round 7: Weston
    Round 8: Benitez
    Round 9: Weston
    Round 10: Even

Total: 5-3-2 Benitez (actual scores: 7-3 Benitez and 2 scores of 5-5 for a majority draw)

Some of these rounds were razor close, so its open to your interpretation. It was a decent contest with great film clarity out of MSG. But I really doubt that Benitez ever opened up the engine 100%. He seemed to be laying back. But if that was the case then he smarty-pantsed his way right out of a win because Weston grabbed every moment he could.

salsanchezfan and William Walker like this.
  13. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Edwin Rosario W10 Frankie Randall (1)

This was a good fight that for me was of two halves; Randall bossing the first half and Rosario showing his relative experience and coming on late. Rosario can box, no doubt about it, he doesn't just throw wild hayakers in there, but it seems he needs the conditions just right to really excel. He takes a while to ramp up if you box him and he doesn't like to be crowded at all, but he's a quick, powerful opportunist.

I love watching Randall; he's the perfect blend of technique and aggression; this fight was held in London and was Randall's first big fight, but he was smooth and relaxed and fought really well for a time. Undeterred by Rosario's vaunted power, he came forward behind movement and a purposeful jab (his is one of the better ones you'll see, it's a jackhammer) and took the fight to the favorite. I loved that moxie.

He started to tire a bit though toward the end, and Rosario, in more familiar waters perhaps, rallied late. I had this a draw as Rosario was too patient and Randall too industrious to warrant giving him TOO many rounds, but this is what I had.........

1. Randall
    2. Randall
    3. Randall
    4. Rosario
    5. Randall
    6. Randall
    7. Rosario
    8. Rosario
    9. Rosario
    10. Rosario

95-95, draw. As I always note, I do these by default on the 10-point must system, regardless of local preference. Not doing that half-point bull**** they did in the UK.

14. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Prince Charles Williams vs Bobby Czyz 2

1 Czyz
    2 Williams
    3 Czyz
    4 Even
    5 Williams
    6 Williams
    7 Czyz
    8 Williams 10-7 2 knockdowns
    9 Williams Great Round
    10 Williams
    11 Czyz doesn't come out for the 11th round

97-92 Williams

I've seen the 1st fight before and from my memory of the 1st fight, it was a great fight with Williams being decked early twice. And then coming back to dominate with the jab and stopping Czyz on a swollen eye.

So this fight was different Williams didn't go down early, nor was he effective with the jab. For some reason Williams decided not to throw the jab in this fight, and decided to beat Czyz at his own game going toe to toe. And it made for a very entertaining fight with alot of back and forth action through the first 7 rounds or so.

The big breakthrough for Williams was in the 8th round, when he decked Cyzy twice both times with right hand. What made me laugh is that the classic commentators curse came into play again in this round. The commentator said "Williams is not a very powerful fighter" and low and behold 10 seconds later drops Czyz like a sack of potatoes.

The 9th round was a standout round with Williams dominating the first half, and then Czyz bravely coming back in the 2nd half of the round. And this round would be a good one to add for the greatest 9th rounds @Jel @Saintpat

After 10 rounds of brutal fighting Czyz decided to not come out for the 11th round with his eye badly swollen, i don't hold it against Czyz for bailing out. Czyz tried his best and if he's feeling something inside then it's entirely up to him he gave it his all.

Overall though this was a fantastic slugfest and definitely worth watching, and for me it's as good as the 1st meeting.

And on a side note i believe Prince Charles Williams vs Matthew Saad Muhammad would of been amazing.

Saintpat and salsanchezfan like this.
  15. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Bobby Czyz vs Andrew Maynard

1 Czyz
    2 Maynard
    3 Czyz
    4 Czyz
    5 Maynard
    6 Czyz
    7 Czyz wins by KO

58-56 Czyz

So this is an interesting fight you had the Olympic gold undefeated prospect vs the veteran former world champion who was a bit past his best.

Czyz had lost his last few fights, and i guess people thought he was coming towards the end of his career and was past it ? Andrew Maynard was an Olympic Gold Medalist 12-0 upcoming prospect, to me this seemed like a big step up in class for Maynard, looking at his record prior to the Czyz fight as i pointed out he only had 12 fights and there was no real recognizable names. Did they really think Czyz had fallen off that much ? that it would be a nice scalp for Maynard ?

Either way they got it horribly wrong as Czyz stalked and pressured Maynard, and welcomed Maynard to how tough the professional game really is. Maynard showed decent boxing skills and decent movement, but overall this fight showed Maynard's biggest weaknesses his chin which was below average. The ending of the fight came when Czyz decked Maynard with a solid right hand, Maynard could of got up but decided to take the full 10 count and allowed himself to be counted out.

Overall this fight showed us that Maynard was never quite cut out for the professional game, nothing against him as a fighter and by all accounts he was a nice guy with a good personality. But he was definitely not cut out for the big leagues in the professional game.