the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    There’s such a thing as being too disciplined, William - don’t wait, just watch it! ;)

William Walker likes this.
  2. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Sal, another Hargrove bout you need to see (if you haven't already) is his bout with middleweight prospect Don King (the networks had fun with that name). @Dynamicpuncher put me onto that one awhile back. You'll love it.

salsanchezfan and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  3. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    It's 1954 though!

4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Amazing fight one of the best fights of the 80s very underrated. Hargrove was always a very entertaining fighter, Fletcher vs Hargrove would've been an insane fight.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    scartissue and salsanchezfan like this.
  5. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    On it!

Jel likes this.
  6. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    :lol:

7. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    I watched Mugabi-Hargrove live on TV! I remember it being on St. Patrick's Day, as they wore green gloves.

At least that's how I remember it. Who knows anymore.

Jel likes this.
  8. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022

@scartissue I just watched this one after seeing your write up, overall it was indeed an entertaining fight like you said. I gave Stone a few more rounds than you did though, i thought Stone had good spell after almost being stopped in the 5th. Forrest looked a bit winded after the big effort in the 5th round, and Stone was able to outwork Forrest in some of these rounds with his non stop pressure.

Overall a pretty entertaining fight and a good test for an upcoming Forrest.

Vernon Forrest vs Adrian Stone

1 Forrest
    2 Stone
    3 Forrest
    4 Forrest
    5 Forrest 10-7 2 knockdowns
    6 Even
    7 Stone
    8 Stone
    9 Forrest
    10 Forrest
    11 Forrest wins by TKO

97-92 Forrest

scartissue and William Walker like this.
  9. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    I rewatched all of Canelo Alvarez's controversial decisions today, here is my scorecards of each individual fight.

Erislandy Lara vs Canelo Alvarez

1 Lara
    2 Lara
    3 Lara
    4 Canelo
    5 Canelo
    6 Lara
    7 Canelo
    8 Canelo
    9 Canelo
    10 Lara
    11 Lara
    12 Canelo

114-114 Draw

Gennady Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez 1

1 Canelo
    2 Canelo
    3 Canelo
    4 Golovkin
    5 Golovkin
    6 Golovkin
    7 Golovkin
    8 Golovkin
    9 Canelo
    10 Golovkin
    11 Golovkin
    12 Canelo

115-113 Golovkin

Gennady Golovkin vs Canelo Alvarez 2

1 Golovkin
    2 Canelo
    3 Canelo
    4 Golovkin
    5 Canelo
    6 Canelo
    7 Canelo
    8 Golovkin
    9 Golovkin
    10 Golovkin
    11 Golovkin
    12 Canelo

114-114 Draw

Austin Trout vs Canelo Alvarez

1 Trout
    2 Canelo
    3 Trout
    4 Canelo
    5 Trout
    6 Trout
    7 Canelo 10-8 knockdown
    8 Trout
    9 Canelo
    10 Trout
    11 Canelo
    12 Trout

114-113 Trout

KO KIDD and scartissue like this.
  10. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Axel Schulz v Kevin McBride

Round 1: 10-9 McBride
    Round 2: 10-9 McBride
    Round 3: 10-9 Schulz
    Round 4: 10-9 Schulz
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Schulz
    Round 7: 10-9 Schulz
    Round 8: 10-9 Schulz
    Round 9: Schulz drops and stops McBride

Total through 8 completed rounds: 78-75 Schulz

I saw this recommended somewhere and wanted to check it out. I wouldn't be recommending it for scintillating action but it was at least competitive for 2nd tiered heavyweights. I watched a bout involving Schulz recently and found him to be very slow-starting and it was the same here as the awkward McBride took the first couple of rounds. But by the 5th one could see Schulz couldn't miss McBride with that overhand right of his. McBride, however, found success himself with his straight right, which was marking up Schulz' left eye. McBride was still in the fight but finally in the 9th he took a shot, stiffened up, and went down. The followup wasn't amazing but the ref called it off, which sent the German audience into disarray. Again, don't go out of your way for it, but a decent, competitive fight between the 2nd-tiered guys.

11. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    good scores. I remember scoring it the same to Trout live but in subsequent watches giving it to Canelo

Had GGG winning 116-112 live and cutting it down to 115-113. The rematch I scored 114-114 live but am fine with a 115-113 either way or draw

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  12. KO KIDD

Oct 5, 2009
    Watched the countdown to Hopkins vs Taylor 1 and round 11 and 12 of the fight

I have a strange fascination with the Taylor vs Hopkins and Pavlik series in time

I love the story lines at play and the stakes involved and while the Hopkins vs Taylor fights werent "exciting" I find the clash in styles, tension and drama of the last 4 rounds to be very exciting. I have always felt Taylor won both fights convincingly and without controversy despite the split decision result and some people and hopkins feeling robbed. I cant help but feeling perplexed at hopkins having taylor hurt late and taylor totally gassed and there to take and hopkins mugs and taunts rather than really step on the gas.

I did score 11 and 12 to Hopkins like I always have but was amazed by Taylor's toughness and resolve and he did fire back hard when Hopkins was doing damage and showed real courage. It is a shame what happened to Taylor and what has happened cognitively to so many fighters. What is amazing and controversial is Duane Ford scoring round 12 to Taylor sealing a win for Taylor where a Hopkins 10-9 would have been 114-114 a split draw and B-Hop would retain the title. It should never have been that close but Taylor did not win round 12

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  13. KO KIDD

Oct 5, 2009
    froch vs dirrel

1:10-9 Dirrel
    2: 10-9 Dirrel
    3: 10-9 Dirrel
    4: 10-9 Dirrel
    cut short

have scored for froch in the past but his work is ineffective maybe im changing perspective on scoring criteria from experience. Getting cut short want to finish my card

14. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Bobby "Boogaloo" Watts W10 Marvin Hagler (1)

Regrettably, the guy that posted up this video decided to be a jerk and exclude one round. Never understand why they feel the need to dangle a carrot like this and then exclude one round of it. If you're going to do that, why bother posting it up at all?

Anyway, I had never seen this one and wanted to see one of Hagler's most controversial bouts. His first go at a Philly middleweight, at The Spectrum no less.

Watts moves and boxes nicely here, doubling and tripling up with both jabs and hooks while largely leaving the right hand for uppercuts in close. He moves to and off the ropes with springs in his legs, and spins Marvin expertly in clinches, either flurrying with Hagler suddenly in that vulnerable position or leaving him there to move to mid-ring to start anew.

Hagler is strong and resolute; he always was, bless him. There is a marked difference between this Marvin Hagler though, and the one that held the title. Being middleweight champion or at least coming of age around 1979 in terms of professionalism really made a huge difference in Marvin. In these initial Philly encounters he seems physically less sure of himself, less forceful somehow. He allows Watts to move him to the ropes, he covers up in anticipation of punches coming, real and imagined. There's an air of him feeling his way around the situation that he doesn't have as middleweight king. As champion, he practically dares opponents to come to him, he moves forward with purpose, laughing off any attempt to punch with him. He seems more...........wall-like somehow. Even when he shows movement, he seems an immovable force.

Because he hadn't yet come of age to realize this aura, Watts is able to outbox him for the most part, flurrying intelligently here and there and keeping Hagler off balance. Hagler only finds occasional success with lunging jab/hook hybrids coming from the southpaw stance and he mixed in an uppercut or straight left here and there but for the most part he is kept neatly at bay. All this talk over the years of a robbery, of some grave injustice against him in the name of some hidden establishment agenda seems wrong now having seen thefight. I saw Hagler get neatly outboxed here. The seventh round was missing as noted before, and that's regrettable, but I would have had Watts skating by with the close nod anyway, even if Hagler did win the round. All this talk of a robbery is hugley overblown. I could see a case for Hagler gewtting the decision, I wouldn't fault anyone there. The rounds are close for the most part. But the fact is, at least from my perspective, Watts largely controlled the tempo and Hagler couldn't cut the ring.

Interesting fight.

1. Watts
    2. Watts
    3. Watts
    4. Hagler
    5. Hagler
    6. Hagler
    7. Missing
    8. Even
    9. Watts
    10. Watts

Either 97-95 or 96-95 Watts, depending who won the seventh.

As an added bonus, I also watched the second bout between these two, held four years after the first. We all know Hagler disposed of Watts early, in the second round.

A markedly different Watts this time around. He didn't move at all here, instead compensating for having no legs anymore by trying to employ a high hands defense unlike the first time. He was competitive for a round, but as soon as Hagler opened up with right hooks in the second it was over. Not much to write about there, Watts was a shell of his 1976 self.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  15. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    @scartissue I know you like your 80s Heavyweights, a rare fight has recently surfaced Trevor Berbick vs ST Gordon.

I suggest you subscribe to him aswell, as hes uploaded a few gems that have never surfaced online like Buster Douglas vs Jesse Ferguson.

scartissue likes this.