the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    The Carr fight was outstanding. I also enjoyed his fights with Oscar DeLaHoya and Terrance Alli.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  2. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    D, checked it out and I totally loved it.

Mark Johnson v Enrique Orozco

Round 1: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 2: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 3: 10-9 Orozco
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-8 Johnson (point deducted from Orozco for a low blow)
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Johnson
    Round 8: 10-9 Orozco
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 Orozco
    Round 11: 10-9 Orozco
    Round 12: Johnson stops Orozco

Total through 11 completed rounds: 106-105 Johnson (actual scores: 106-102, 108-99 and 109-99 all for Johnson)

Believe me when I say those 2 lop-sided scores do not reflect what went on in that ring. IMO, this was one close fight. I give a lot of credence to bodyshots, which is where Orozco spent much of his time, but clearly the judges had to have been more impressed with head shots. Not that Johnson didn't work the body too, but believe me, there were two guys in there making this fight. Excellent contest. Great recommendation @Dynamicpuncher.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Brandon Figueroa UD12 Mark Magsayo

Both guys enjoy a good first round; Figueroa lands an overhand right with a lot of steam, Magsayo lands a very good bodypunch, Figueroa appears to like the inside better which is alarming for Magsayo - big news for a fighter that likes distance. This one is shaping up very nicely. Figueroa literally wins the first on my card with the final punch of the first round. Magasayo lands a similarly impressive punch to open the second round, a right to the head. Figueroa definitely has the wider palette though, good right uppercut to the body.

Magsayo outfights Figueroa in an exciting third to take a lead. He can't hold though, he's holding one of Figueroa's arms it's so weird, it doesn't help him smother the opposing attack at all. Magsayo is winning the inside fight now, shortarm work, just positioning himself carefully, shooting for the beltline, moving and dipping outside, Figueroa trying to come on but getting out-worked at the half distance and out-hit inside, he is landing good punches at distance sometimes though - work-rate might tell. I have Magsayo 3-1 up.

After eight though, I have it all square. Figueroa is so impressive at this kind of pressure, he's just so insistent and you can't overestimate how difficult that is to face up against. The sixth and the seventh is where the tide has turned for Figueroa, and it's just by always being there ready to work. That sick smile when Magsayo hits him with something decent helps I think...low headbutt (is that a first?) landed on Masgsayo at the start of the eighth, accidental but right after that he deducts a point for holding. He did get two warnings but that seems strong if i'm honest. They are throwing lots of punches still, if the holding isn't actually upsetting the fight...Magsayo's round apart from that, so shame.

It was actually something of a last hurrah though. Figueroa coasts home with an aggressive pressure, high work-rate, and that iron, tide-turning chin. An impressive performance.

Figueroa:1,6,7,9,10,11*,12.
    Magsayo:2,3,4,5,8*.

*Magsayo point off for holding.

115-111

KO KIDD, Fogger and scartissue like this.
  4. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Jesse James Leija v Steve McCrory

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 McCrory
    Round 3: 10-9 Leija
    Round 4: 10-9 Leija
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Leija
    Round 7: 10-9 Leija
    Round 8: 10-9 Leija
    Round 9: 10-9 Leija
    Round 10: 10-9 Leija

Total: 99-93 Leija (actual scores: 98-92, 98-92 and 96-94 all for Leija)

I wanted a gander at this fight because I do like JJ Leija fights and McCrory was a quality opponent. Really the first time watching Steve McCrory. He really had all the fundamentals instilled in him at Kronk. Nice jab, could sharp-shoot with the right, sharp left hook and good defense. But this fight didn't pan out as any kind of slam-bang affair. It was very tactical between 2 very well-schooled opponents, which is something I don't mind watching. Leija revved it up in that last 3 rounds to sew up the fight. But again, this is not a slugfest and would not be telling anyone that it is a must-see.

salsanchezfan likes this.
  5. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    I asked the following question in UK forum to no replies so wanted to see if you can shed some light on Yarde's tactics?
    I couldn't figure out why Yarde kept retreating into the corners where Beterbiev seemed to totally dominate him. It looked like in the corners Beterbiev could inflict lots of damage that ground Anthony down. I know Beterbiev turned Anthony several times, but many times it did not look like Yarde was forced into the corner but retreated there where he was at Artur's mercy. Was he simply tired or was it Artur's strategy?

KO KIDD likes this.
  6. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Good fight with weird ebbs and flows

Had magsayo ahead early then he kinda just stopped fighting and kept holding and putting his head down and I thought Figueroa was gonna stop him. Credit to Mags for coming on strong but he blew it holding

7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Derrell Coley v Rocky Balboa (NABF welterweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Coley
    Round 2: 10-8 Balboa (scores a knockdown)
    Round 3: 10-9 Balboa
    Round 4: 10-9 Coley
    Round 5: 10-9 Coley
    Round 6: 10-9 Coley
    Round 7: 10-9 Coley
    Round 8: 10-9 Coley
    Round 9: 10-9 Coley
    Round 10: 10-9 Coley
    Round 11: 10-9 Coley
    Round 12: 10-9 Balboa (scores a knockdown)

Total: 116-111 Coley (actual scores: 116-112 Coley, 114-113 Balboa and a 113-113 for a Draw)

D, just checked it out. A mind-boggling decision. What were the other 2 judges watching? Such a simple fight to score and they bollocks it up. Coley was really letting them rip and I actually thought I was being a bit harsh on Coley because in the eyes of a more liberal judge, I could see them award Coley a couple of those rounds as 10-8 late in the fight. As it was, I am a more conservative judge and actually only awarded Balboa a 10-9 in that last round because aside from the knockdown and Balboa's very poor follow-up, Coley carried most of the freight that round. Still, an intriguing contest, aside from some very bad judging from 2 officials.

Dynamicpuncher and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  8. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    A short fight but one which I haven't seen in decades:

Albert Davila v Frankie Duarte I (bantamweight title eliminator)

Round 1: 10-9 Davila
    Round 2: 10-10 Even
    Round 3: 10-8 Davila (scores a knockdown)
    Round 4: 10-9 Davila
    Round 5: Davila drops Duarte twice and stops him

Total through 4 completed rounds: 40-36 Davila

Davila's combos were firing on all cylinders this night and Duarte couldn't get out of the way of them. Amazing watching this and then to realize the heights they went to in their respective careers. Incidentally, I believe I'll be meeting up with these two great pugs this Sunday at the West Coast Boxing Hall of Fame. Shameless plug.

Pepsi Dioxide, Fogger and Jel like this.
  9. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    Tommy Morrison (32-1-0) vs Joe Hipp (24-2-0)
    June 27, 1992

Round 1 - 10-9 Morrison
    Round 2 - 10-9 Hipp Close
    Round 3 - 10-9 Morrison
    Round 4 - 10-9 Hipp
    Round 5 - 10-8 Morrison - Hipp went down from an uppercut followed by a semi-right hook.
    Round 6 - 10-9 Hipp
    Round 7 - 10-9 Morrison Close
    Round 8 - 10-9 Hipp
    Round 9 - Morrison wins by KO at 2:47 of round 9.

My score at the time of the stoppage was 76-75 for Morrison. Actual scores Morrison 76-75 twice and Hipp 76-75.

According to Boxrec, Morrison had a broken jaw and hand while Hipp's cheekbone was shattered. This may explain why Tommy was considerably less aggressive in the last half of the fight.

I had the rounds going back and forth throughout the bout and Hipp seemed to be coming on when he was stopped. Hipp weighed 223, the lowest of his career. He could have won this fight with a bit of luck.

10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Joe Hipp was tougher than a 10-penny nail driven through a $2 steak. Not terribly gifted but gritty and practically a textbook definition of a gatekeeper.

I remember this fight. It was a good slugfest with lots of shifts of momentum and fortune.

11. Fogger

Fogger Father, grandfather and big sports fan. Full Member

Aug 9, 2021
    From a point of view of attitude and effort, Hipp always reminded me of a poor man's George Chuvalo. High praise to my way of thinking. Of course, George Chuvalo also reminded me of a poor man's George Chuvalo. LOL

Saintpat and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  12. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Roberto Duran UD10 PJ Goossen

This is Duran's last win and PJ's last fight. Coming off a 10 round defeat to Hector Comancho he seemed to think losing to back to back stars is not such a bad way to bow out - and perhaps he's not that far wrong. PJ starts of very slowly, the 49-year old Duran actually outworks him in the first. A double left hand on the minute mark is probably teh highlight, but Duran is slow and doesn't appear to be breaking any popcorn in there. Nice jab right hand in the second, PJ, who is rusty, allowing himself to be moved back, lands a nice right uppercut to the body. Podgy Duran though, still slipping right hands by tiny margins, not coming back quite so much any more though! His hands are low, moving all over though, kind of one big feint today, enjoying himself a bit, that up jab, every time he plants his front foot, PJ moves off and has to reset. Not enough thug in PJ to win this fight. He is letting Duran dictate the pace and skelps PJ across the ring with a double left-hook, very dominant fourth for Hands of Stone.

Duran is tiring a bit, got a bit stodgy now in the sixth, PJ is doing so little though that Duran continues to sneak the rounds. You wonder just how motivated PJ is to win this fight. It's fun to watch Duran feint and slip and whack that right hand over the top though - and after dropping the eighth and ninth a final wee rally in the tenth.

Duran:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10.
    Goossen:8,9.

13. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I need to revisit this one.

14. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I suspect it was out of necessity rather than strategy. Fatigued and/or buzzed/winded from a heavy shot, most likely.

Blofeld likes this.
  15. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Reymart Gaballo SD12 Emmanuel Rodriguez

Gaballo does well in the opener, right hands down the middle, jabs, but Rodriguez lands the best punch of the round, a jab that sends the Filipino right back on his heels. They are going to be right in front of each other for the duration of this fight it looks like. Gaballo likes his hands lower and that probably makes the difference in a very close, good opening round. They both want single jabs in the second round, Gaballo wins that argument in the first ninety seconds - a great left hook on 55 seconds remaining probably squares up the second half of the round. Rodriguez is clearly trying to steal these rounds late, but it doesn't work in the second round for me. Interesting third: Rodriguez has changed up. I was wrong to claim a pattern so soon. Rodriguez is moving off and countering in fluid, long combos but not over-reaching. Gaballo is applying the pressure and trying to out-fight Rodriguez when he choses to go for it - clear Rodriguez round is the result for me though Gaballo is very lively in pursuit.

He remains lively in the fourth, pursuing aggressively, stung by a left hook though, countered into the ropes that's cooled his jets a little bit. His jets are cooled right through to the end of the sixth, which means I have Gaballo 5-1 down and all but in need of a KO or at least a KD. He does turn the fight in the seventh though, three pieces are the key in that round, and he gets through with at least some of those punches. But it doesn't feel like a paradigm shift or a clear change of weather, more that Gaballo just out-fought Rodriguez for the first itme since the second using these strategies. He does tie three rounds together though for me, winning the eight and ninth also before Rodriguez coasts down the stretch. He threw more, he landed more, he controlled the action, he was robbed.

Rodriguez: 1,3,4,5,6,10,11,12.
    Gaballo:2,7,8,9.

116-112 Rodriguez.