the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    1 haney
    2 haney
    3 lomachenko
    4 haney
    5 lomachenko
    6 haney
    7 lomachenko
    8 haney
    9 haney
    10 lomachenko
    11 lomachenko
    12 haney
    F 115-113 haney

Honestly I feel like this was a very difficult fight to score and I thought that live I watched this again with the sound turned off and I think this fight could really go either way I think the people screaming robbery were either influenced by the commentary or had a built-in agenda because they there were a lomachenko fan or a devon haney hater

I feel like this fight could be scored differently upon subsequent viewings given how close a lot of the rounds were I thought that round three round four round five round six and around 8 were all very close and could go either way and that round 10 really didn't even seem as dominant for lomachenko on replay as it did live though he did win it

I actually thought Devin Haney looked better in a second viewing and that his conditioning has been under sold and I don't think lomachenko really hurt him as much as the commentary team made it seem I felt that his legs never really buckled and he would respond and move fluidly in between flurries. Though he's not a hard puncher given his knockout ratio I felt Devin Haney's punches carried more weight and lomachenko would fall back or have his head snap from the counter right hands and the check left hooks and even some of the upper cuts it looked like lomachenko would hit him with a few punches and he would stay right there

( sorry for the mess of a post doing speech to text)

All in all I find the robbery calls insane

Saintpat, scartissue and McGrain like this.
  2. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I called it a draw at the time. Felt scorecard ranges between 115-113 Haney to 116-112 Loma would have been appropriate. It's the kind of fight where a system that encourged scoring even rounds would have appropriate since there were a bunch of rounds that could have been scored 10-10.

Honestly, though...this loss is on Loma for not putting the pedal to the metal in the 12th. By allowing Haney to win the round after handing him a hiding in the previous frame, he put himself in a position to lose on the cards.

Really enjoyable fight. Definitely not a robbery.

KO KIDD likes this.
  3. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    D, there's been a lot of chatter on this bout recently and I thought I would give it a go. Had a bunch of guys over the night of this fight and never really got to score. But I felt Hagler was in command. So now 40 years later I'm making up for it.

Marvin Hagler v Roberto Duran (middleweight title)

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 5: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 6: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 7: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 8: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 9: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 10: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 11: 10-9 Duran
    Round 12: 10-9 Duran
    Round 13: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 14: 10-9 Hagler
    Round 15: 10-9 Hagler

Total: 148-139 Hagler (actual scores: 144-142, 146-145 and 144-143 all for Hagler)

Y'know, D, for what it's worth, you and I only disagreed on rounds 4 and 13. I did have two Even rounds, but that's not a disagreement. I've always been a huge Duran man, but I gotta call them the way I see them - as does everyone here. I just felt for all the good Duran did in this fight, which was immense, he only did it sporadically. I could have given him credit for more if only his attack was sustained or threw in combination. Most of his work - I felt - was one punch at a time. But despite my misgivings and my score, it was a herculean task before him and he performed admirably.

KO KIDD and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Hagler for me didn't really get going in the fight until 5th or 6th round ? When he started to fight more aggressive rather than fighting a tactical fight with Duran. I feel like Duran was able to more than hold his own in the early rounds when it was a boxing match, but then Hagler took over when he stepped it up.

I do feel like Hagler deliberately took a breather in rounds 11-13 probably remembering Antuofermo fight, so he would have enough left in the tank for a strong finish.

But overall I feel like the fight is semi close due to early rounds, and rounds 11-13 where Hagler took those rounds off.

scartissue likes this.
  5. TheMikeLake

TheMikeLake Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Round 1 10-9 to Duran, but super close. I don’t know why, but I really don’t like giving even rounds, but this was probably a pretty good example of when to use one.

Round 2 10-9 to Duran, again really close. Just seemed to land the more eye popping shots, but I mean maybe as in one or two more punches through the first two.

Round 3 to Hagler, pretty clear round. Hagler’s inside work was nice early, and he got the better of the smuggling that took place the second half of the round.

Round 4 to Duran - It’s interesting, when Hagler engages at close range he is getting the better of it. The announcers are suggesting he keeps going back to boxing because he’s tasted Duran’s power. As in, Duran is winning rounds where he is outboxing Hagler while Hagler won clearly the won the round he brawled in.

Round 5 to Hagler - Duran landed a big punch near the end of the round which may have earned him the round to some scorers, but I thought Hagler did enough throughout the stanza to edge it.

Round 6 to Hagler - Big round for Hagler. Really took it to Duran by winning the inside exchanges, in both the southpaw and conventional stances.

Round 7 to Hagler - Hagler controlled the action in this round. I don’t want to say Duran was shaking off the round before, but seemed a tad less unwilling to engage in this round.

Round 8 to Hagler - Fairly close round, but I feel a big shift has taken place the last few rounds and Hagler is controlling most facets of the fight.

Round 9 to Hagler - Duran came out looking to brawl, but was hit early and seemed to abandoned that plan about as soon as he started it.

Round 10 to Duran - Duran may be having trouble on the inside but something he is doing really well is stopping Hagler’s advances with crisp, straight one two’s. This was a close round, could have gone either way.

Round 11 to Duran - Not much happened in this round. Seems may have been strategy on Hagler’s part to conserve energy down the stretch. Duran didn’t do much to deserve the round, as he also seemed thankful for a break in the action

Round 12 to Duran - Probably Duran’s best round of the fight. Between Hagler tiring and Duran’s inside work, this one was pretty clear to score.

Round 13 to Duran - He was really feeling it here. This round was closer, but this is probably the highest Duran’s confidence has been in this fight.

Round 14 to Hagler - Rest time over for Marvin, as he brawls his as to a fairly decisive victory, this round. However, he did end the round cut over his eye, which had been swelling for a number of rounds.

Round 15 to Hagler - Honestly, until this moment, I had no idea I had the fight a draw going into this round. Hagler won it clearly.

My final score 143-142 in favor of Hagler

Final thoughts - Giving the first two rounds to Duran, which I marked close, made this fight a lot closer than I expected. What an effort by Duran, fighting one of the best middleweights of all-time in his first middleweight fight.

KO KIDD likes this.
  6. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Tony Canzoneri W15 Lou Ambers

Seen a few of Canzi's efforts, and he's great to watch. Never seen Ambers before. This was for the vacent lightweight title in May of 1935. Canzoneri had apparently been a mentor of sorts to the younger Ambers (actual name Luigi Guiseppe D'Ambrosio).

The film of this is sped up some, so that each round turns out to be about 2:40 or so. I don't mind, at least all the rounds were there.

Throughout, Ambers danced around the more stationary Canzoneri like a child around a maypole (no, I've never actually seen one), jabbing and trying to flurry before dancing outside again. Canzoneri for his part stands with his chest out and hands down, head twitching like a cobra, waiting to counter. In naming displays of fine counterpunching, this one will now get a mention from me. Canzi was so mutli-faceted. Ambers takes the play away in the later-middle rounds by being busier, but he loses the thread of things again by the late rounds when the nore experienced Canzoneri puts some distance between him and the younger man. Great example of experience beating youthful vigor. Ambers would have his day, but not here.

Tony just seemed more confident and seasoned and not yet ready to pass on the baton to his protege. He WOULD hand over the baton to Ambers, though. Twice, actually. Ambers has a few really good scalps and seems hideously underplayed now. I need to watch more of him.

Anyway, the fight.......

1. Ambers
    2. Canzi
    3. Canzi (10-7, two knockdowns)
    4. Canzi
    5. Ambers
    6. Canzi
    7. Ambers
    8. Even
    9. Ambers
    10. Ambers
    11. Canzi
    12. Canzi
    13. Ambers
    14. Canzi
    15. Canzi (10-8, knockdown)

144-139 Canzoneri, using the 10-point must. Which they were not.

scartissue and KasimirKid like this.
  7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Fidel Bassa v Ray Medel (flyweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Bassa
    Round 2: 10-9 Bassa
    Round 3: 10-9 Bassa
    Round 4: 10-9 Bassa
    Round 5: 10-9 Bassa
    Round 6: 10-9 Bassa
    Round 7: 10-8 Bassa (Medel docked a point for pushing down on Bassa's head)
    Round 8: 10-10 Even
    Round 9: 10-9 Bassa
    Round 10: 10-9 Medel
    Round 11: 10-9 Medel
    Round 12: 10-10 Even

Total: 118-111 Bassa (actual scores: 117-111, 116-115 and 116-112 all for Bassa)

This wasn't a bad little fight. Nothing scintillating but kept my interest the whole way. Medel was like a rock and took every hook, cross, uppercut and body shot that Bassa threw. A tiring Bassa became quite the target for Medel's right late in the fight and this had to have become nerve-racking to the San Antonio fans with their man coming so close. Again, not a bad little fight. Would have been better if medel exploded earlier. One other thing, the color commentator for this bout was Joey Fariello, whom I always knew as the trainer for Buster Mathis Sr. and Jr. And he did a pretty good job, I gotta say.

William Walker likes this.
  8. Blofeld

Blofeld Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2022
    Michael Brodie vs Neil Swain

Kindly recommend by @Dynamicpuncher what a scrap! The Youtube video I watched was mysteriously missing round 8, but Jim Watt said he gave it to Brodie so I went with his score. I actually realised I don't know how British title bouts are scored but just used 10 points system. I was surprised by my score not being closer, all the rounds were difficult to score but I felt Brodie just did the quality work while Swain hit a lot on Mike's gloves and arms. However I think there were probably 2 rounds that I could have given to Neil. Still an awesome effort and a credit to both the guys!

1 - Brodie 9 Swain 10

2 - Brodie 10 Swain 9

3 - Brodie 10 Swain 9

4 - Brodie 8 Swain 10

5 - Brodie 10 Swain 9

6 - Brodie 10 Swain 9

7 - Brodie 10 Swain 9

8 -Brodie 10 Swain 10

9 - Brodie 10 Swain 9

10 Brodie wins KO

Brodie 87 - Swain 74

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  9. Blofeld

Sep 27, 2022
    Errol Christie vs Mark Kaylor

Kindly recommended by @scartissue. Ding dong battle between two warriors. Both fighters scored knock downs in opening round so I marked it a draw at 10-10, not sure if this is the convention for this? Despite Christie scoring a knockdown in round 3 I made it 10-9 as Kaylor almost KO'd him at the bell. Interestingly Errol boxed his way back into the fight, despite looking exhausted, in last couple of rounds and displayed an excellent jab but eventually ran out of steam.

1 - Kaylor 10 Christie 10

2 - Kaylor 9 Christie 10

3 - Kaylor 9 Christie 10

4 - Kaylor 10 Christie 9

5 - Kaylor 10 Christie 9

6 - Kaylor 9 Christie 10

7 - Kaylor 9 Christie 10

8 - Kaylor wins KO8

Taylor 66 - Christie 68

scartissue likes this.
  10. Blofeld

Sep 27, 2022
    Mike McCallum vs Michael Watson

Excellent battle without you ever feeling Watson was going to win. From round 1 he seemed out of his comfort zone and I think he only really troubled McCallum with his shear bravery and guts. McCallum's boxing was a thing of beauty and it is crazy that the commentators were talking about him like he was an old man at 33, with his clashes with Toney and a third world title down the line. Considering his two epic struggles against Eubank I am unsure if Watson vastly improved for those later fights or if McCallum was simply several rungs above the Brit middleweight pack in ability? To be fair to Watson he was fighting someone whose style simply didn't work well with his natural gifts and I believe the fight had been postponed which led to a period of inactivity before hand. My scoring is very generous to Watson but the guy had such heart!

1 - McCallum 9 Watson 10

2 - McCallum 10 Watson 9

3 - McCallum 10 Watson 9

4 - McCallum 9 Watson 10

5 - McCallum 10 Watson 9

6 - McCallum 9 Watson 10

7 - McCallum 9 Watson 10

8 - McCallum 10 Watson 9

9 - McCallum 10 Watson 9

10 - McCallum 10 Watson 9

11 - McCallum wins KO 11

McCallum 96 Watson 94

scartissue likes this.
  11. Blofeld

Sep 27, 2022
    Michael Watson vs Nigel Benn

A terrific display by Watson, weathering the hurricane to simply exhaust Benn. While it is quite clear Nigel vastly improved both his boxing and his stamina after this fight it takes nothing away from Watson. It is a shame he didn't fight someone like Iran Barkley for his title shot rather than McCallum as with this display he would have had a strong chance of taking the title.

1 - Watson 9 Benn 10

2 - Watson 9 Benn 10

3 - Watson 10 Benn 9

4 - Watson 10 Benn 9

5 - Watson 10 Benn 9

6 - Watson wins KO

Watson 48 Benn 47

12. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Salvador Sanchez v Azumah Nelson

@scartissue, @Saintpat and @salsanchezfan, here’s another Sanchez-Nelson card to add to the pile.

I ended up with the same points tally going into the final round as I did the last time I scored it, but got there by a different route. I think this card is probably better than the first time I scored it. A superb fight from start to finish.

1 9-10
    2 10-9
    3 9-10
    4 10-9
    5 9-10
    6 9-10
    7 10-8 (big left hook staggers Nelson, follow up combo with short left hook puts him down)
    8 10-9 (Sanchez hurts Nelson again early in the round)
    9 10-9 (Sanchez rocks Nelson again with a left hook and seems to be getting the measure of Nelson, giving him a mid-round pasting. Nelson hangs tough though)
    10 9-10 (Sanchez took his foot off the gas a bit and Nelson landed the cleaner punches)
    11 9-10 (Nelson somehow ups his game and seems to genuinely hurt Sanchez who fights back hard - great action)
    12 9-10 (Nelson putting all the pressure on)
    13 10-10 (Nelson was winning the round but another big left hook from Sanchez that nearly floors Nelson gives him a share of the round)
    14 10-9 (not much in it but Nelson is flagging)
    (133-133)
    15 Sanchez TKO Nelson
    (Sanchez jumps all over Nelson and drops him hard. Tony Perez rightly stops it after Sanchez’s follow up assault)

13. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Ludwig Lightburn v L.C. Morgan (Cleveland's 10 point must)

Round 1: 10-8 Morgan (scores a knockdown)
    Round 2: 10-9 Morgan
    Round 3: 10-9 Morgan
    Round 4: 10-10 Even
    Round 5: 10-9 Lightburn
    Round 6: 10-9 Morgan
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Morgan
    Round 9: 10-8 Lightburn (scores a knockdown)
    Round 10: 10-9 Lightburn

Total: 96-94 Morgan (actual scores: 94-93, 94-93 and an 97-88 all for Morgan)

Man, Jimmy Lennon, Sr. would have had a field day with that name of Lightburn's. This was a good competitive matchup from '56 where there were so many close rounds. They were so evenly matched. Gotta say there are a ton of referees today who would have stopped that fight in the 1st round when Lightburn was falling over himself, but he got back into the fight and gave a good account. Thanks to @William Walker for uploading this.

14. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    He lost the Lopez fight legit I don't think anyone argues with that, but the Salido, Haney, fights are rightly considered very controversial fights for different reasons.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  15. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Peter Mathebula v Santos Laciar (Flyweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 PM
    Round 2: 10-9 PM
    Round 3: 10-9 Laciar
    Round 4: 10-9 PM
    Round 5: 10-8 Laciar (scores a knockdown)
    Round 6: 10-9 Laciar
    Round 7: Laciar drops and stops Mathebula

Total through 6 completed rounds: 57-56 Laciar (actual scores: 58-56 Laciar and two scores of 57-57)

Not the greatest film quality but the contest was pretty decent. Mathebula had such an educated left. A beautiful jab and was able to hook off it nicely. I would have liked to seen him end some of his jabbing with a nice straight right but it seemed to be rare. It was like I was watching a flyweight version of Henry Cooper. It seemed to be 90% left only. Laciar didn't seem to get the motor running until the 3rd when he stepped up the pressure. When he had Peter on the ropes, he really grilled him. When Peter was mid-ring he did so much better with his left but Laciar was like a tank and the jab wasn't going to hold him off. When he dropped him in the 7th, Peter beat the count but was complaining about his left eye upon arising and that was all they needed to hear to stop the fight.

salsanchezfan and McGrain like this.