the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. AntonioMartin1

AntonioMartin1 Jeanette Full Member

Jan 23, 2022
    Gomez-Zarate (again)

Gomez won every round.From what I understand, Zarate was sick with pneumonia or at least a common cold which is still bad. I wonder if that rumor is true or just an excuse but lets face it, sometimes boxing operates like a mafia......

2. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Matthew Hilton v Robert 'Bam-Bam' Hines (jr. middleweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Hilton
    Round 2: 10-8 Hilton (scores a knockdown)
    Round 3: 10-9 Hilton (scores a knockdown - Hines wins most of this round before the KD, which is why a 10-9)
    Round 4: 10-9 Hines
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Round 6: 10-9 Hines
    Round 7: 10-9 Hines
    Round 8: 10-8 Hines (the announcing team state that the referee deducts a point between rounds from Hilton for low blows)
    Round 9: 10-9 Hines
    Round 10: 10-9 Hines
    Round 11: 10-9 Hines
    Round 12: 10-8 Hines (Hilton does virtually nothing this round while Hines pounds him)

Total: 116-110 Hines (actual scores: 116-110, 112-111 and 114-111 all for Hines)

Although I had never seen this bout, I knew of the result since it took place. Viewing it now, and after 3 rounds, I was saying to myself that Hines has some catching up to do - and he did. Around the 4th round when it was apparent Hilton was already suffering from fatigue, I thought to myself that I'll bet Hilton wished he spent more time in the gym for this fight. I understand he was having weight problems and did a fast turn-about to make 154 for this fight. But what a difference from the guy that threw haymakers at Buster Drayton for 15 rounds. Hines had excellent fundamentals and stuck to them for the duration of the fight, which really turned one-sided in the 10th, 11th and 12th with Hilton doing all of nothing those rounds. But overall, a very rough fight and their faces bore the marks.

salsanchezfan likes this.
  3. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    This content is protected

Mayweather - 1,4,5,7,10,11,12
    Cotto - 3,6,8,9
    Even - 2

- Floyd's nose started bleeding from the 3rd round.
    - Floyd briefly staggered Cotto in the 12th with a short-left uppercut.
    - I scored the bout 7-4-1 to Mayweather.

(M)116 - 113(C)
    Winner: Mayweather via UD

A great, tactical brawl from start to finish by two of the elites of their era. Floyd adopted a lot his former self (PBF) for this fight. He fought alot more aggressively than he usually did as "Money" - taking unnecessary risks at times (such as fighting in the pocket for long stretches in a round). However, this made the fight what it was, which was entertaining for the fans. Cotto made Floyd work throughout the whole bout, being very active, digging the body, landing solid punches & being able to connect with shots most don't get to land on Floyd (multiple jabs, hooks & even some uppercuts). Despite this, Floyd was able to control most of the action in the bout and win a clear, but competitive decision.

Drew101 and scartissue like this.
  4. BoxingFanMike

BoxingFanMike Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    He sure looked awful compared his regular level. Gomez was a beast at the time too though and what looks like a small jump is bigger when the division is lighter I guess.
    I have watched this a few times, kind of think even if Zarate was on point he wouldn’t have been able to get to Wilfredo.

AntonioMartin1 and Jel like this.
  5. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Spot on. I believe that Zarate was sick because he didn’t look anything like his usual self but, yeah, Gomez was on fire that night and I don’t think he’d have been denied whatever shape Zarate was in - a bit like Sanchez-Gomez a few years later when Gomez didn’t take his training seriously and underrated Sanchez whereas Sal was locked in from the start.

I remember reading an interview with Gomez where he said his dad died either the night before or the day of the fight - I don’t believe he was informed about it until after the fight but that must have been the most bittersweet win of his career.

BoxingFanMike likes this.
  6. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    I always wanted to watch this fight but there always seemed to be an issue with the vid that was uploaded. Recently @AntonioMartin1 mentioned it being a robbery and felt the need to make a concentrated effort to review this fight. As it was, the first vid I watched was missing rounds 1, 2 and 3 and also had a truncated version of round 12. In a fight like this, every second needs to be watched and I found another version that carried the missing time. so here we go:

Antonio Cervantes v Miguel Montilla I (jr. welterweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 Montilla
    Round 2: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 3: 10-9 Montilla
    Round 4: 10-9 Montilla
    Round 5: 10-9 Montilla
    Round 6: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 7: 10-10 Even
    Round 8: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 9: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 10: 10-10 Even
    Round 11: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 12: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 13: 10-9 Montilla
    Round 14: 10-9 Cervantes
    Round 15: 10-10 Even

Total: 145-143 Cervantes (actual scores: 145-143, 143-142 and 147-142 all for Cervantes)

Man, this was close. Montilla fought a fight with a lot of hustle and bustle while Cervantes chipped away with short counters and that pole-like jab that he only fired in ones. The cumulative effect really cut up Montilla but he was still hustling at the end. I won't say robbery but it was damn close.

7. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Mike Weaver TKO 7 Johnny DuPlooy

This was a really fun fight, spoiled by a hand injury to DuPlooy unfortunately. DuPlooy landed some thunderous right hand body punches, shots that you could hear connect very clearly with a huge "POOM."

The South African comes out swinging hard, and the slow-starting American bides his time, always stepping forward bhind a high guard, letting the younger man blow off some steam. In the third, this nearly backfires as Weaver is stunned and takes a shellacking along the ropes. He is a consummate professional though, and calmly weathers the frenetic attack. He comes back to win the fourth and in the fifth, DuPlooy sinks twice to the canves, seemingly complaining of a low blow, though no such foul shots can be seen. The referee, Stanley Christodoulou, offers no blame to Weaver and the action continues, with Johnny now in full retreat. Weaver hammers him with a hard right punctuating a general mistreatment of the South African along the ropes, and DuPlooy falls hard. The bell rings, saving him from any follow-up damage.

DuPlooy is in defense mode in rounds six and seven, grimacing every time he throws his left, having damaged it in the fifth it seems. Weaver takes both rounds and DuPlooy's corner retires him after the seventh.

Good fight that should have been better.

1. DuPlooy
    2. Weaver (close)
    3. DuPlooy (Weaver shaken up)
    4. Weaver
    5. Weaver (10-8, knockdown)
    6. Weaver
    7. Weaver

68-64 Weaver at the time of the stoppage.

Saintpat likes this.
  8. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    There was a time in I think the 1990s where there was a cable channel called FNN (Financial News Network) and on weekends it would switch to some kind of global sports network (or at least some weekends). I remember being at my parents’ house on Fourth of July holiday (no financial news because it was a bank holiday) and after we ate, me and my brother were switching channels and … they were having a world boxing marathon with taped fights from all over.

That’s he first time I saw DuPlooy after having seen his name. Can’t remember who against (not Weaver) but I thought ‘this guy can thump.’ Also Rene Jacquot and several Europeans and I think a fight or two from South America and/or Central America. All had English commentary. We watched for hours, haha.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  9. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    I never saw the fight myself, but when I did the Wikipedia article on Montilla, found a newspaper from the Dominican Eepublic which said it was robbery. Of course, in a case like that, a Dominican newspaper isn't exactly reliable but i wrote on Montilla's article , so as to say we at Wikipedia do not have that opinion, that said newspaper said it.

The interesting thing is, here I chose to use the word arguably. because to me that means that this can be argued. I guess i must watch the fight because it was that close then!!

scartissue likes this.
  10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Sal, for some reason I thought I had seen this fight, but I must've been thinking of DuPlooy's fight with Renaldo Snipes. I'll have to check out the Weaver fight. Sounds like fun.

11. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Antonio, it truly was a close one. I could see one having it 1 or 2 points the other way as well, depending on your scoring criteria. Afterall, I had 3 even rounds. A very close fight but no robbery. Please check it out, I'd be interested hearing what your views are when seeing it. Pity the rematch is not out there. Would have loved to check that out too.

12. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Sal, checked this out today and agree with everything you said. DuPlooy, IMO, was really just a glorified barroom brawler, No fundamentals, no technique, no jab, just wing from the fences. Of course, when he lands he clearly hurts, but he was gassed after the 3rd because he hadn't a clue how to pace himself. Regarding our scores, except for the 1st round, which I had Even, we were identical. But there is one thing to note. There is no real clarity on this, basically because the South African announcers were just a couple of DuPlooy flag-wavers, but watch when DuPlooy went to the canvas in the 5th after hurting his hand. He gets up, goes to the corner and Christodoulou starts counting him. He is clearly giving him an eight count, which the announcers don't mention. He legitimately goes down later in the round, so it would appear this could be classified as 2 knockdowns in the round. Again, there is no clarity on this and I haven't seen a write-up of what was official (the boxrec write-up doesn't even mention the latter KD), so what can you do? But exciting fight nonetheless. If you get a chance check out duPlooy's fight with Snipes. I think you'll enjoy that one too.

13. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022

I saw this again.

Sanchez was ahead 128-119 IMO.

Domination.

14. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022

This time, its Lopez who dominates, 50-45

15. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022

Sensational slugfest but at the end it looked as if Ibarra didnt want it no more do he slid down.