the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Fireman Fred

Fireman Fred Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Steward did a remarkable job with Andries. Emmanuel really was a great trainer, turned Lennox into and all time great.

Andries career after the 3rd Harding war was at cruiser. All the wars had caught up with him, age also slowed him down but he still had one last moment of glory when he won the British Cruiserweight title from a much younger Denzil Browne.

He showed his experience as he let his younger (but naturally bigger) foe wear himself early on as he slowly up the tempo to score an emphatic 11th round stoppage.

This content is protected

scartissue likes this.
  2. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Greg Page vs David Bey

1 Page
    2 Bey
    3 Even
    4 Bey
    5 Bey
    6 Page
    7 Page
    8 Page
    9 Bey
    10 Bey
    11 Bey
    12 Bey

116-113 Bey

Another frustrating performance from Page he cut Bey on both eyes and had the momentum after 8th round, but then for whatever reason decided to dance away and taunt for the rest of the fight instead of digging deep and trying to win against a badly cut fighter infront of him,

Overall a very winnable fight for Page but he fought more like a good Amateur in this fight, and Bey dug deep and stuck in there and outhustled Page to deservedly win a decision.

Saintpat, Fireman Fred and zadfrak like this.
  3. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Canelo Alvarez vs Jamie Munguia

1 Munguia
    2 Munguia
    3 Munguia
    4 Canelo 10-8
    5 Canelo
    6 Canelo
    7 Canelo
    8 Canelo
    9 Munguia
    10 Canelo
    11 Canelo
    12 Canelo

116-111 Canelo

Canelo's extra class better defence and cleaner harder punches won him a clear decision in a competitive fight. Munguia started off well but after the knockdown the skill level gap was apparent from then on.

Good effort from Munguia and his stock went up for me but Canelo was a clear winner.

Overall a solid fight with good clean action all the way.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
    Fireman Fred, KO KIDD and Saintpat like this.
  4. KO KIDD

KO KIDD Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I stopped scoring it after the knockdown as it seemed to go all Canelo despite Manguia being game. This is about how I felt the fight went. Was surprised at some posts in the RBR for Munguia or razor thin

Fireman Fred and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  5. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    I think certain posters let their hate for Canelo cloud their judgement.

I'm not a fan of Canelo but I thought it was quite apparent Canelo landed mostly all the telling blows in the fight, Munguia kept it competitive with his workrate and aggression but he wasn't really landing much of significance after the knockdown. Canelo blocked, parried, and slipped most of his punches. And always comeback with harder more eye catching shots.

I thought it was a very clear win for Canelo in all honesty I don't see any argument for Munguia.

KO KIDD and Fireman Fred like this.
  6. roeknott

roeknott Seen it all before. Full Member

Jan 4, 2023
    Just watched Mike Tyson V Danny Williams.
    People say Williams caused the upset, but did he really?
    I don't believe he did, i believe Mike was shot and Williams had that little bit more still left in him, and that is how i see it, not as an upset.

7. TheMikeLake

TheMikeLake Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 17, 2013
    And Tyson tore a ligament in his knee in the 2nd or 3rd round of the fight.

8. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Jel, this fight recently came on my radar from fellow-poster @Ney who said it was a great fight. After watching it I checked to see who else has seen it and it looks like you are the only other one from a few years back. Here is how I saw it:

Graham Earl v Michael Katsidis (some crap Interim title)

Round 1: 10-7 Katsidis (scores 2 knockdowns)
    Round 2: 10-9 Katsidis (both score KD's but Katsidis has the better of the round)
    Round 3: 9-9 Even (Katsidis' round but is docked a point for a low blow)
    Round 4: 10-9 Katsidis
    Round 5: 10-10 Even
    Earl's corner stops the bout between rounds

Total through 5 completed rounds: 49-44 Katsidis (actual scores: 48-44, 49-42 and 48-45 all for Katsidis)

Man, all I can say is 'Wow'! You summed up everything well Jel, even the rather notable partiality by Mickey Vann. Great fight - is Katsidis in anything but? Thanks again, @Ney

9. Ney

Ney Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2024
    I had the pleasure of watching it as it unfolded so perhaps my in-the-moment first impression has made it closer than even I remember. I don’t recall ever thinking it was especially close, but subconscious bias & all…

scartissue likes this.
  10. AntonioMartin1

AntonioMartin1 Jeanette Full Member

Jan 23, 2022
    People still viewed Tyson fights as if Tyson was 1986 Mike Tyson.

Saintpat and roeknott like this.
  11. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    This content is protected

Round one Arguello 10-9
    Round two Arguello 10-9
    Round three boom one of the most spectacular one punch kos you'll see!

Saintpat and Fireman Fred like this.
  12. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    That was a brilliant right hand. Made even more devastating by the fact that Torres was stepping in with a punch at the time. Torres wasn't a bad little fighter either and neither was his brother Jose, who dropped both Arguello and Danny Lopez in respective bouts.

Saintpat and Fireman Fred like this.
  13. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    From my memory of it watching it live aswell is that Earl seemed to be outgunned, but would always comeback with a flurry to keep the fight interesting where you thought maybe a comeback could be on the cards.

Remember at the time aswell I hadn't heard of Katsidis before so I didn't know if he had a suspect chin or his stamina could be a question mark.

So it was one of those fights where even though Katsidis looked for large parts to be on top, watching it live though it still had the excitement of you didn't know what was going to happen because Earl would always comeback with something.

It kind of reminds of Gomez vs Arthur I think alot of people forget that fight was fairly one sided aswell. But Arthur would always comeback with something so again it had that feel that anything could happen.

Ney and Fireman Fred like this.
  14. Ney

Ney Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 13, 2024
    Good comparison.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  15. AntonioMartin1

Jan 23, 2022
    Im gonna have to check Jose out..I bet a lot of people confuse him with Jose Torres, the Light Heavyweight champion!

The comments in the Mexican station made it look like it was a 50/50 fight, right until the end, and this was years after the bout! You can hear the HBO commentary on the background from time to time and they had Arguello dominating. It was competitive, yeah, but Arguello was in another class.

scartissue likes this.