the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mantequilla, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    When PPV's were worth the money.

2. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Joel Casamayor v Robert Garcia (jr. lightweight title)

Round 1: 10-9 JC
    Round 2: 10-9 JC
    Round 3: 10-9 Garcia
    Round 4: 10-9 Garcia
    Round 5: 10-9 Garcia
    Round 6: 9-9 Even (Casamayor's round but deducted 1 point for - I'll call it - roughhousing)
    Round 7: 10-9 Garcia
    Round 8: 10-9 Garcia
    Round 9: Casamayor drops Garcia twice and the ref stops the fight

Total through 8 completed rounds: 77-74 Garcia (actual scores: 77-74 and 76-74 both for Garcia and a 76-76 Even with Garcia ahead on points at the time of the stoppage)

A decent fight with brisk exchanges that was fought tactically throughout. Regarding the 6th round, it was probably Casamayor's best round before the 9th and the version I watched had two British announcers that were calling for a 2 point round for Casamayor (until the point deduction). I was on the fence on that one being a somewhat conservative scorer. Although I have given 2 point rounds for a battering without a knockdown, I just didn't feel Casamayor earned a 2 pointer for that one. Thus, I had the round even. But again, decent fight.

3. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    @cleming and @Fireman Fred , you guys recently recommended Ben Tackie v Edwin Santana and Tackie against Teddy Reid respectively. However, I can't find them out there. Can you guys provide a link? I'm in the mood for a good fight and thought these would do the job.

Fireman Fred likes this.
  4. Fireman Fred

Fireman Fred Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Had a look on the Internet and no luck either. I had the fight on Vhs, don´t think I got it converted but I´ll look at my dvd collection to see if I´ve got it. If I do I´ll message you. Youtube is great to see many fights at a moments notice but unfortunately there are some little gems that don´t get uploaded.

Saintpat and scartissue like this.
  5. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Send me your Danny Lopez-Sean O’Grady and Ray Leonard-Randy Shields full fights and I’ll zip you my Harry Greb collection while you’re at it.

6. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If you're still in the mood for a good fight, could I interest you in:
    This content is protected

It's easily one of the best British Domestic fights I've ever seen, and it draws serious comparisons to Castillo vs Corrales. If it's not working in your country, you might have to use a VPN.

Fireman Fred likes this.
  7. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Going on my list, George. Already working on a few. Likely over the weekend. Thanks, man.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  8. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Haha, I’m not familiar with either guy but I correctly guessed it was a light heavyweight scrap based on our @George Crowcroft posting it.

Jel and George Crowcroft like this.
  9. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    Archie Moore (c) vs. Carl “Bobo” Olson, scheduled for 15 rounds for the world light heavyweight championship on June 22, 1955, at the Polo Grounds in NYC.

Archie, 38, has spent the last year campaigning at heavyweight in search of a bout with Rocky Marciano (which will come next) but makes 175 to defense here. His purse is a reported $90K, presumably including a percentage of the gate from the crowd of 27K-plus on hand to see this bout. The 13-to-5 favorite is 148-19-8.

Bobo, 26, is reigning middleweight champ. He comes in comfortably at 170 1/4 with a record of 69-6. Lest anyone think Olson didn’t have the pop to mix with light heavyweights, he dropped Joey Maxim twice in winning easily over 10 rounds in his previous bout to solidify his shot at Archie.

Unfortunately the video is pretty dark. You can tell what’s going on, but it’s not easy to discern just how impactful some punches are and how cleanly they land. But I’d never seen it so when I spotted that it’s out there, I couldn’t resist.

1 — Moore 10-9: Bobo comes out the more frisky of the two, landing a few clean right hands early while Archie mostly robes and seems to be gauging the distance and sizing up Olson. In the last minute, Archie roughs him up pretty good with a series of chopping punches at closer range. When they’re close, Bobo can’t do anything with Archie and seems out of his depth.

2 — Moore 10-9: Archie controls most of the action with his left jab, which he’s measured and uses frequently. He works the full three minutes, while Olson has occasional success with single shots. Once again, Moore turns up the heat in the last minute and asserts himself to take the round.

3 — Archie sees in complete control here and it’s becoming apparent that Olson simply isn’t going to be able to keep Archie off him or do anything. Moore pretty much walks in behind that cross-arm defense and does what he pleases. He stuns Bob with a big right hand and follows with two left hooks to put Carl down and out for the full 10-count at 1:19.

A better version of this film might be more telling, but Archie is always worth a watch in my estimation. Olson was a world champ — at a lighter weight, but he had shown he was good enough vs. Maxim to hang at 175 — and Moore handled him without much breaking a sweat.

EDIT: Shout out to @George Crowcroft — not trying to tread on your light heavyweight mastery but I love me some Archie Moore.

This content is protected

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  10. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Nino Benvenuti v Carlos Monzon I (middleweight title)

Round 1: 10-10 Even
    Round 2: 10-9 Monzon
    Round 3: 10-9 Monzon
    Round 4: 10-9 Monzon
    Round 5: 10-9 Monzon
    Round 6: 10-10 Even
    Round 7: 10-9 Monzon (pretty close to a 10-8)
    Round 8: 10-9 Monzon
    Round 9: 10-10 Even
    Round 10: 10-9 Benvenuti
    Round 11: 10-9 Monzon
    Round 12: Monzon KOs Benvenuti

Total through 11 completed rounds: 109-103 for Monzon (actual scores not known and the scoring might have actually been a 5-point must, not sure)

I was wondering while watching this fight exactly when Nino and his corner realized signing this unknown from Argentina was a bad mistake. Nino fought his usual hopping around and clinching style, but Monzon came prepared for those clinches. Nino always seemed to clinch and wait for the ref to separate in all his fights. But Monzon was having none of it. He used that free hand to the max and I really believe that was Nino's downfall because Nino would turn away from the incoming shot and took many on the back of the head. He looked concussed before taking that last hellacious right hand from Monzon and those rabbit punches - I believe - had a lot to do with it. But hey, it was Nino turning into them. He could look at the referee all he wanted to but all that ref did was warn both fighters for various infractions of low blows, clinching, elbows, etc. and never took a point. A powerful ending and I believe with 1 round to Nino and 3 Even, that I was very generous to Nino, because Monzon looked like a monster in there.

Fireman Fred and Saintpat like this.
  11. scartissue

Mar 2, 2006
    Ben Tackie v Teddy Reid (NABF 140 lb. title)

Round 1: 10-9 Tackie
    Round 2: 10-9 Reid
    Round 3: 10-10 Even
    Round 4: 10-9 Tackie
    Round 5: Tackie stops Reid

Scorecard through 4 completed rounds: 39-38 Tackie (scores not known)

Oh, man, @Fireman Fred , you didn't oversell this one bit. I loved it! Like a good old-fashioned club fight that had the punters on their feet from beginning to end. Reid should have been using his range to box but loved his power too much and Tackie really found great use in that overhand right once he saw that Reid had no defense for it. But he didn't go right hand crazy. He just bided his time. again, I loved it!

Fireman Fred likes this.
  12. Fireman Fred

Fireman Fred Member Full Member

Mar 8, 2014
    It has been 20 years since I´ve seen my dodgy copy! I was a fan of both, I remember being impressed it how Teddy regrouped to score a devastating ko of Germaine Sanders for the Nabf Welter crown, stopping tough Pat Coleman before winning a World title eliminator in a terrific fight with Elio Ortiz which is as good as the Ben Tackie bout.

13. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Hi George, seeing as we’re in the same country, I’m surprised I can’t see it. Which fight was it?

George Crowcroft likes this.
  14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It's Travis Dickinson and Matty Clarkson. If you wanna see it in England, you've gotta put a VPN on and it'll come up.

Jel likes this.
  15. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hi Buddy.
    Remember the fight build up like it was yesterday, the Italian press were very dismissive of Monzon, their biggest selling paper carried the headline " Monzon who are you " the writer for BN was Graham Houston and in his report he put " the crowd were in for a few shocks, the first was when their ropes came off, Benvenuti was tall for a MW , but Monzon was actually taller " I was counting the days until the Ring came over to the UK to read the report and see some pictures, that picture of Benvenuti on the canvas with his legs spread behind him head slumped forward in a corner, is not quite up there with Clay over Williams shot from above, or Rockys devastating right , but its still a iconic photo, not least because it heralded the start of Monzons reign.
    Stay safe scart, chat soon.