The wins of Larry Holmes vs Rocky Marciano

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by The Undefeated Lachbuster, May 16, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    I`ve only seen a round of Layne fighting Rock couldn`t tell much, but I saw Tex Cobb in a Gene Hackman flick and he`s crap but brave as hell he jumped on a grenade and it didn`t knock him out so I know La Starza wouldn`t stop him. I saw `Spoon`s fights wit Bruno and Smith and couplle of rounds of him v Holmes and Thomas, he looked bad in the Bruno and Smith fights but much slimmer and quicker v Thomas and Larry so I`d give him the nod over the smaller Layne.

2. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Ali has parkinson`s v Larry and only threwe one punch the whole fight.

3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    I feel Marciano was better and Walcott and Charles would have beaten Larry.

4. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    According to Green he`s sussed me out on my threads, it`s a shame that I haven`t.

5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    :couch::wave1:

6. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Mark I have no idea what childish cartoons mean. If u got something to say say it.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    You said I agenda and I find it funny.

8. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If i were to throw in Cooney then i might also throw in Cockell, or Matthews (not necessarily against Cooney). I thought old Louis vs old Ali was fitting. I didn't put him in because i never regarded Cooney highly

9. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Weaver, Williams, and Berbick at their best were all better than Cobb. If you wanted a more flattering matchup for Holmes' opponents, you might go with something along the lines of:

Ezzard Charles vs Tim Witherspoon

Archie Moore vs Ray Mercer

Rex Layne vs Mike Weaver

Roland LaStarza vs Carl Williams

Jersey Joe Walcott vs Ken Norton

Golden_Feather99 and JC40 like this.
  10. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    i dont consider williams or weaver better than cobb nor berbick honestly

11. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    Which, if any, of their fights did you watch in particular that led you to consider Cobb to be better than them?

Golden_Feather99 likes this.
  12. The Undefeated Lachbuster

Jul 18, 2018
    Cobb's fight with Shavers vs Weaver's fight with a third of his resume

choklab likes this.
  13. mrkoolkevin

Jan 30, 2014
    So you compared Cobb's only remotely notable win against Weaver's W-L record? Ok...

Golden_Feather99 and JC40 like this.
  14. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    1-As long as Charles gets a full training camp and gets footage of shavers to study, he should win a clear decision after climbing off the canvas at least 1x.

2-Norton and Moore have an insane high level chess match thats very close at first but eventually Norton's youth and athleticism gives him an edge and he starts outlanding the more defensive minded Moore (whose trying to conserve his energy). Norton cracks through his gaurd in the 11th and gets a ko in the 12th.

3-Witherspoon by wide UD or mid-late round ko if he feels like going for it. come on.

4-lastarza vs Cobb would be Horrible to watch and very ugly. Their worst qualities overshadow their best qualities. Cobb rallies late and kos him in 9-10 if he uses roughouse tactics and cuts off the ring somehow.

5-Walcott makes mercer look like a complete jackass and wins a wide ud.

15. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Ezzard Charles vs Earnie Shavers: Shavers gets the KO. Charles was washed up when he fought Marciano. He wasn't very durable either. Shavers was big and he wasn't too bad at landing his right hand. All it will take is 1 with Shavers.

Archie Moore vs Ken Norton: Ken Norton by KO. Norton would have 30+ lbs on Moore. Norton had long arms, good conditioning and he was difficult to outbox. Norton's chin wasn't that bad, he isn't getting hurt by a light-heavyweight.

Rex Layne vs Tim Witherspoon: Witherspoon, easy.

Roland LaStarza vs Randall Tex Cobb: Cobb KO. 50 lbs on LaStarza and Cobb wasn't a terrible boxer. He'd be too strong and big for LaStarza.

Jersey Joe Walcott vs Ray Mercer: Mercer KO. Mercer would be 30+ lbs heavier than Walcott. Mercer wins via brawling. Walcott had a shaky chin and Mercer had serious power. Walcott wasn't a very cautious fighter. He gets hurt exchanging and Ray finishes him. Mercer is far from great but he had good handspeed and KO power. Walcott was 37 years old against Marciano. Mercer was young when he fought Holmes. He got outboxed by Holmes but Walcott doesn't fight on the ropes. He doesn't use his jab like Holmes. And he isn't as durable as Holmes.

Post retirement Joe Louis vs Parkinson's Muhammad Ali- I'll call this a draw.

Larry Holmes also beat Mike Weaver, Trevor Berbick, Carl Williams, Gerry Cooney, Bonecrusher, Renaldo Snipes.

robert ungurean likes this.