These Quicky Stoppages have Got to STOP

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by The Professor, Jul 24, 2021.

1. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So you are saying "They knew what they were getting into when they became a boxer?" Isn't that what I've been saying?

And why not go watch tennis, where nobody ever gets hurt?

Why change any rule ever? Because you want it to be a better sport.

2. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Referee's are not thinking how they will be seen, what they are thinking when they have a unconscious man in front of them is **** this guy isn't getting up he needs medical attention ASAP and likely oxygen as soon as possible to mitigate any potential brain damage.

When you are knocked out it can result in a lack of oxygen to the brain and this lead to brain damage if parts of the brain and deprived of oxygen too long. That's why you see boxers take oxygen after being knocked out.

2 seconds could be the difference between a guy walking again or being in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  3. OvidsExile

OvidsExile At a minimum, a huckleberry over your persimmon. Full Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Thank you, Doctor Bomber.

4. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Good post my ass. Someone arguing on a position that death or brain damage isn't a concern at all as long as the the bout is "entertaining" must be brain damaged themselves.

It's an utterly ridiculous point of view and it's a blessing foolish people like him have no dominion over boxing and are generally looked down upon

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  5. kirk

kirk l l l Staff Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Damnit Ovid I have to try and sleep for 3 and a half hours tonight before I go to work here at 2.30am, I wont be able to respond properly...

But I'll try to respond later when Im back on for any length of time.

If I could condense a response it would be

- I find your take on people who say they care about strangers deeply to be fools or lying, just... I dont even know how to verbalize my response to that right now lol.

This world is full of humans that spend their time and energy trying to help strangers, to various degrees. Are they a minority, sure... however, there is still a sizable amount. They are all liars and fools?

Secondly, why would someone who cares genuinely about a strangers suffering, be a fool?

Im curious as to your response. Im more interested in this, than our current discussion, lol.

Good points on the current rules, good points indeed. They are indeed not all truly safety oriented.

I feel the discussion is shifting slightly, to 'a few more seconds wont make that big of difference' and 'there wouldnt be more comas', from what I was addressing, which is the mentality behind someone being ok with more deaths if it meant more entertainment.

Sure we can discuss whats excessive, and how many more seconds a ref should let it continue. Like I said, these are valid questions.

We could even debate if it would actually lead to less comas (though I admit I dont understand this notion, you think having a sport that dramatically increases brain trauma, wouldn't see an increase in comas? Im not sure I follow the logic there.)

But thats shifting the discussion just slightly from the spirit of what I was addressing. My post was saying I found the mentality bizarre. Put the discussion of if more comas would or wouldnt occur aside. Youre ok with more boxers dying if you can get just a bit more juice from the squeeze.

Thats what I find somewhat bizarre.

I dont view the two goods as equal though. Boxing already has more than its fair share of permanent injuries and death. Even in its current state. You being willing to turn up the dial on that, while saying its still safe enough, isnt a valid comparison when weighing it against entertainment.

I do realise, thats just my view.

Then, I think of the person that looks at me and lobbies for even more safe restrictions, because of their own personal idea of what it should be, and around we go I suppose. They can look at me and say "That youre willing to accept x amount of deaths to keep boxing in its current form, instead of saving lives by making it safer, is bizarre to me."

OvidsExile likes this.
  6. ecto55

ecto55 דמוקרטיזציה של השממות האיסלאמיות כעת banned Full Member

May 28, 2009
    Think about it...your telling me that things I have seen, experienced and heard didn't happen? Whaaaat? I'm telling you...a big motivating factor for ref's at pro events is how they are seen. This goes doubly on televised events. Whenever a bout is handled badly.....if they are asking whether Johnny Chin-in-the-Air is okay its with reference to what could happen to them. It doesn't take much courage to referee like a Richard Steele...anyone can clothe their actions in 'I take a safety first approach'. A real referee, a good referee, knows how to use his knowledge of the game and his personal judgment to make the best call at the right time....its not easy, but you give the fighter a run, and if its a title fight, and that fighter's one goddamn chance in life, you give them more of a run within the parameters of being a competent referee. A referee like Steve Smoger understood that. If you get it you get it, don't get it...up to you. ecto out.

Good stuff, your talking to someone whose been KO'd, had a subdural hematoma, had memory loss (amnesia) and been treated by neurology clinics, had axon damage from sport, have worked at various levels of the sport in its administrative / organisational side etc etc. You are not telling me anything new.....BTW...your over-egging the speed at which oxygen needs to be provided if its needed at all, its not a pit-stop crew....unconscious fighters do breath...they're not dead. Its a precaution, like the spinal stretcher and neck brace...it does't mean its necessary, its just a good precaution. Death's usually occur from brain swelling exacerbated by making weight / diminished cerebral fluid, and a 3 count or a 10 or a 50 count wont effect that. Once that ball starts rolling it needs surgery. Trust me on this stuff....

7. ecto55

May 28, 2009
    I didn't read his post like the way you characterize...I read it as a more realistic understanding of the BS that actually motivates people in the sport, including some of these referees. Where the hell did he say brain damage isn't a concern? Of course we are worried about brain damage...I technically have some myself. The thing about boxing is as much of the brain damage a fighter accumulates occurs in the gym.
    He talks about all these parasites who love a champion when he's a champion but would cross the road to avoid him twenty years later, or who mouth concern about ex-fighters and say 'oh that's sad' but wont pay more money for a ticket so that an ex-boxers pension fund could be set up. He's 100% on the ****ing money, what the **** are you on about?

8. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Some stoppages are clearly too early. This was not one of them.

How biased and agenda-driven does someone need to be to complain about that stoppage? Tickling Takam was wobbling about and completely defenceless in the finish up. He would have taken more clean shots and even with all of his faculties together and landing his best shots Joyce just laughed at him and walked forward.

The guy was useless.

Wizbit1013 and Brighton bomber like this.
  9. Vegan Beast

Vegan Beast Grandpappy Ortiz Full Member

Aug 19, 2020
    It wasn't the worst stoppage I've ever seen.

Takam was almost knocked over at the start of the 6th round, he was taking many shots and not firing back.

Lets look at it this way - Takam is doing NOTHING to Joshua and Fury.

He got KO'd by CHISORA. Let that sink in....

He has no use whatsoever with a title shot.

I don't think it was a bad stoppage, and Takam would pose no threat to anyone above Joyce's level.

Him losing this fight is hardly a tragedy.

10. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I wasn't telling you what you had seen or experience at all. You were not just claiming an opinion, you were literally telling us that you knew a referee's intent, literally reading his mind! I quote " it demonstrates how the referee's are unduly effected by how they are seen." You can't see into a referee intent, you can't read minds.

All I did was simply give a different view of what I see when a ref ends a fight without giving a full 10 count when it's clear they can't get up.

I find the idea a referee would allow how he is seen effect his performance as a stretch. Referee or Umpire it's one thankless job that you couldn't do if you allowed peoples opinions of you effect you with all the abuse they take from fans and even athletes.

As for oxygen I'm no expert but neither are you despite your experience all I know is that in the past in the UK after events when boxers were not given oxygen there was a lot of criticism that oxygen was not at hand or not given quickly enough. It may very well precautionary, but why do you think that is? You don't do something as precautionary unless there is a risk, it might be very small risk but the risk is there.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  11. The Townsend

The Townsend Zeus. Full Member

Mar 21, 2019
    I dont understand? Takam was getting pummelled and wasn't throwing anything back.

This Isn't the 30s anymore. Most fighters want to have a life after boxing and not spend their days In 24 hour care due to brain damage.

I know Ill be gutted If I earned 20 Million dollars In my career only not being able to spend It because Im In a wheelchair getting fed carrot soup because some fan behind a keyboard who probably has a normal job wanted the ref to not stop the fight because that fan didn't agree.

Come on.

Toney F*** U and Wizbit1013 like this.
  12. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    This is on the money ? it's using components of boxing to create a ludicrous narrative. He claims rest periods and rounds are there to prolong beatings but has he ever thought rest periods are there so fighters can change a tactic mid fight by getting advice from the corner because they saw something the fighter couldn't or getting advice in general or help with cuts and just a period to regain stamina or go along with a plan of breaking an opponent down ? It is a ridiculous narrative. Cutmen can legit help with cuts mid fight and it has been shown time and time again. You don't need a damn degree from medical school for basic stuff like protecting a cut by covering it with a substance like petroleum jelly for upcoming rounds and treating it with epinephrine although cutmen usually have a license anyway.

And then the paragraph about him not giving two shits about a fighters health is the cherry on top. Saying that people who claim they don't want a fighter to die or suffer brain damage in the ring are lying ? (LOL) it's a messy write up. You don't have to be incredibly empathetic to not want to see something like that.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Wizbit1013 likes this.
  13. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Both takes may be some of the worst content I've seen here... Ever

14. ecto55

May 28, 2009
    Fair enough, apologies, I was a bit riled up about something else. Your right...I'm not psychic...but I do know how these buggers think in general from discussions with them, observation etc. Can I extrapolate from that what the Takam-Joyce referee was thing? No...that'd be silly, but if you don't think that referee's would prefer to end a fight too early rather than risk their ticket and give the potentially losing fighter a chance (like Smoger used to) then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm not sure if I should say this but I've been told by a fight doctor of longstanding that its really only good for people who have been electrocuted, but that it looks good and gives the appearance of medical treatment on-site...when in truth there's bugger all that can be done outside of an ER. Whenever there's a push to ban or outlaw boxing or MMA, the medical professionals on-side put forward a new bit of medical technology, the regulatory body (who has no idea either way) agrees with the recommendation, the policies are changed and the ban-push it swatted away for another time and the while thing proceeds on as before. Next bit of gear will probably be something like one of those heart-attack revival machines and the ringside doctor will need to be trained in its use. Its kind of all BS....that said, I'm no doctor and in truth, if my son kayo'd badly I'd probably feel comforted seeking a oxygen mask get put on his face until he was up and about.

15. ecto55

May 28, 2009
    Yeah, that second paragraph is pretty odd, although I understand his point about about people mouthing fake concern. He obviously has a purely audience - entertainer type outlook on boxing....I can understand it and its laudible in its honesty. For better or worse, I don't have that luxury and get to see boxers live their lives almost from cradle to grave, so I'm more sympathetic. However, if you think he's outlook is bad, its positively angelic compared to some of the people (past and present) involved in boxing. I could tell you some stories that would disturb your sleep. What he says goes to my point about all the words said about protecting boxers, but never has anyone been willing to take a pay cut to create an ex-boxers pension fund...something that would actually lead to more people be willing to enter pro ranks. If you think HBO, Showtime, Money Promotions and Golden Boys can't afford a 10% levy for the little guys, then I don't know what to say to you.

What he said about round and break lengths is true....shorter rounds and longer rest periods makes the combat during the round more explosive and more dangerous in terms of KO's. For weight reduced fighters....where the latter, longer rounds are potentially the more dangerous there is different relationship with safety / danger. There is a direct correlation between how the dangers work in those things but its a whole other topic. He over-eggs it with the the 'prolong beatings' but he's on the money with the 'why' - gloved protect hands to prolong careers for maximizing monetary gain, not about head trauma. Etc etc.

FYI...I'm not looking for debate re. this thread...I'm not interesting in going through someone I don't knows posts and ascribing worth or value to the various concepts within it.