This criticism of fighting styles ("runners", "grabbers" and so on...)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by ApatheticLeader, Jun 25, 2007.

1. ApatheticLeader

ApatheticLeader is bringing ***y back. Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    The hysteria that's currently taking place on here - it's absurd. And semingly a new phenomenon as far as I'm concerned. I'm just wondering if it's because people are worried about the rise of certain other combat sports?

Or is it because of some other, more pathetic reason? These styles have been around for ever - and past fighters have been more extreme. Ruiz at his worst never got as much criticism as Hatton does now, for instance. As for any criticism Malignaggi gets.....

2. smokey

smokey Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2005
    I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty of fighters with styles I don't necessarily like. Hatton's style is ugly to me, but I would rather watch the ultra rough wrestler type fighter than a non-engaging jab and move fighter like Corey Spinks. It's not that I hate a particular fighter, it's just that certain styles are more entertaining than others.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  3. gold_gloves

gold_gloves Member Full Member

May 5, 2006
    it works quite simple like this for the typical ESB hater...

a fighter is not fighting top comp so you give them hell about it, they are "overrated"...

They fight a big name fighter and lose you than have a easy case to put forward...

they WIN, you than must explain how it was "boring" and they fight in such a horrible style they dont deserve to win etc etc..

perfect example, Floyd Mayweather....he beat ODLH but he didnt do it how people wouldnt him too he did it the only way he could by "running" therefore he is a gay ass ****** who deserves to die...

4. dwilson

dwilson Guest

Exactly right, people are just thiking up ways of discrediting a fighter they dont like in this manner, its stupid. I dont like mayweather or his running style of boxing but it has made him the best pfp guy in todays scene. If a fighter knows how to win and keep winning (legally) then thats fine by me however much i dont like the particular person or his style.

5. MSTR

MSTR More Speed Than Roy!!!!! Full Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Correction. Ruiz got MUCH more criticism then Hatton gets. He was and still is HATED on these boards by most. Hatton is just hard to watch that is all. He seems like a great character, and is very good at making his opponents fight his type of fight, it just so happens that he smothers the shots for both guys which makes it not as exciting.

People have a right to express their opinion. It would be pretty boring if it was a big love in. I can appreciate all styles of boxing, but I would much prefer to watch someone like Cotto who doesn't clinch in close quarters.

For those who are blaming Castillo also, how come he never clinched like that against Corrales???

6. ApatheticLeader

Jul 20, 2004
    That, for me, says it all. I didn't even have a problem with Andre Dirrell's tactics against Curtis Stevens. Sure, it wasn't exactly attractive, but the reaction of people on here was ****ing ridiculous...

7. chliJs

chliJs Active Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2006
    i fully agree. the best solution would be to ban people who spread **** like that. it's a true silent danger since these discussions don't contribute anything. they just spread like sars and infest the weak minded and newbs.

it appears to me that the general boxing forum is ruled by two parties: people of the first start hysterical ****riding on sundays after good and competitive fights for at least one week, the others suddenly appear when fights go against their expectations. both factions may sound idiotic, but in fact the ****riding-periods are alright, as gay as it make sound. there are wild speculations, entertaining comparisons, optimism and express-collisions with tons of stupidly entertaining arguments. the other periods don't offer that much. they offer nostalgic crybabies, nothing else.

8. ApatheticLeader

Jul 20, 2004
    No he didn't! Half the threads on here are dedicated to criticising Hatton's style right now! And there was one yesterday asking whether Hatton's licence should be revoked because of the way he fights. Is that not pathetic to you?

9. chliJs

chliJs Active Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2006
    yea.. winning is EVERYTHING. as long as some attention whores don't get that and think it's about them, the audience, they'll always continue to cry around. there is no need in messing with ufc or other rivals in terms of entertainment value. entertainment is a byproduct of every sport. at least this is the way it should be, i know there are other examples.

10. dwilson

dwilson Guest

Ye a banning order would be good in the general boxing forum, its harsly worth going there due to the people who are out to just annoy and **** other people off with their hysteric stupid views. It makes finding serious well thought through threads hard to find. I came to the site to talk about boxing not to rant about so and so being a ***/gay ect for the way he boxes and wins.

I caught the stevens v dirrell fight and it was boring but it was up to stevens to stop dirrell doing what he did to win. If you are good at fighting in a certain style then you should do it. Just because stevens was hapless in stopping dirrell the same way no one has managed to stop pbf then thats thier fault not the guy who comes up on top.

11. K0NPHL1C7

K0NPHL1C7 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Ruiz never got as much criticism as Hatton are you ****ing crazy? The reason why Hatton get's so much **** is because he's been billed as this mega-star incredible boxing machine, yet he hasn't ever actualy boxed inside the ropes.

12. ApatheticLeader

Jul 20, 2004
    I'm not even going to dignify this with an actual response.

13. dwilson

dwilson Guest

The ufc is full of boring fights, bjj is a very formidable but boring to watch but it wins fights. People want to watch the best fight the best and use the best style suited to them to do so. If you appreciate pbf or dirrell's style then you will find it entertaining the same way that if you like hattons or cotto's for that matter. If it comes down to the general public not wanting to watch certain styles then the only fighting they will want to watch is a mass brawl in a parking lot.

14. Cookie

Cookie Active Member Full Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Trying to discredit achievements because you don't like someone's style is stupid. But saying someone is boring and that you can't bear to watch their fights is fair enough.

15. Matthew W

Matthew W Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2005
    He boxes all the time. Sometimes he gets too close to his opponents and smothers his own work, as Billy Graham told him to stop doing on Sat, but he is actually very good at getting his punches off and landing on the inside. He has historcially not clinched that much, the start of the Urango fight when he hardly held at all was typical, quickly moving in and out and landing punches from different angles.

Yes he does lean on his opponent as a tactic when on the inside to push them back against the ropes and tire them out, and will hold his opponents left arm whilst punching with his left if the ref doesn't stop it, but he doesn't hold anywhere near as much as some people claim. Castillo was doing more of the smothering on Sat.